Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

kupachek posted:

There are two snarling rabid dobermans, a rightwing one is six feet away and closing, the other is leftwing and about two hundred yards off and hasn't noticed you yet. I advise you to focus on dealing with the one that is the active threat and about to try ripping your throat out, you can worry about the second leftwing dobberman if you survive the immediate danger posed by the rightwing one. Prioritize the threats.

Lunatic tankies are a remote enough threat that we don't need to fixate or think hard about them right now when being distracted and taking our eyes off the lunatic rightwing could be fatal. Do I need to bold that to drive the point home?

This is doberman hate.

Also tankies are more like Chihuahuas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Kesper North posted:

Because cows stare at sunsets

This is a Nona the Ninth joke

That is a deep cut and I'm glad I get this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

Raising rates should only help the low and middle classes. Cheap money can really only be taken advantage of by the rich and inflation is extremely corrosive to the spending power of those at the bottom. With a low rate its extremely difficult to get a safe return as well so it should help savers. Employment remains high as well.

The low and middle class's number one source of debt is mortgage and credit, both of which are substantially effected by low rates.

lmao if you think averaging $600k houses at 15% is good for the low and middle classes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

The overwhelming majority of American mortgage debt is fixed-rate, which isn't affected by rising interest rates. It affects the issuance of new mortgages, which naturally depresses the value of housing.

I don't think housing prices are going to come down, but the economists who get to make all these decisions disagree with me. I have yet to see those economist be right about this but only time will tell.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Or maybe all the worlds best economists have been right but ignored by the politicians who make the decisions, either way same effect from my point of view.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hypnophant posted:

If the store was profitable before the price rise, someone new can come in and open a new grocery store at the old prices and steal all the customers from megamart. If they can’t, the store probably wasn’t profitable and the area would be a food desert without the megastore, and that’s a problem but again it’s an absolute poverty problem, not a specific inflation problem.

Why of course, why didn't I think of that? Just open up a store with a massive logistical tail with all this capital I just have lying around, and purchase below rate from all of the *checks notes* ten suppliers who control that entire logistics chain!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
And you have sucinctly summarized why we are Systemically hosed and not Intrinsically being hosed. There is no shortage of food, or housing, or logistical transport, or medicine, the only shortage that exists is the maw of profits and expected growth on balance sheets. These things we want to buy are not rare and precious, there is no underlying production reason why wages are not keeping up with inflation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hypnophant posted:

i disagree in the strongest possible terms, and in only slightly less strong terms when it comes to the other factors, and I would also include energy, both as a political factor and when taking into account future externalities of hydrocarbons

The only metric by which you can argue there is a shortage of housing is that there is a shortage of housing in <15m proximity to dense employment locations. The suburb and exurb sprawls have made housing near gainful employment more difficult. But as far as available housing to American households? We have so much surplus you could squat in it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hypnophant posted:

this is not an inflation problem. this is an absolute poverty problem. if you can’t afford groceries, you don’t need price controls to keep your groceries at the same level of unaffordability. You need more income

I think we're coming at the same point from different angles at least?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hypnophant posted:

no. corporations are profitable when they have access to a labor pool of educated, healthy workers in secure housing and with reliable access to transportation. They also need good infrastructure to connect them to their suppliers and customers, and good governance to reduce systemic uncertainty; from natural disasters, from political instability, and from crime. This is why the most profitable companies are found in the most developed cities; because that is where the the deepest and most productive labor pools, the best infrastructure, the least volatile governments are all located. None of this improves when schools get worse or people’s health care gets cut off or the housing stock crumbles from lack of occupancy.

I'm not sure what industry you work in where you can delude yourself into thinking corporations support labor pools of educated, healthy workers. Recent history is one of megacorps moving internationally to lower and lower skilled labor in an attempt to increase profits, leaving their skilled labor pools unemployeed and languishing in their original location.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Kazinsal posted:

The other fun part of the Saga of Stymie is that for years he would claim that it was actually everyone else in YOSPOS who were actually uber-wealthy hypercapitalists and were all super healthy bodybuilders who were simultaneously somehow unable to understand how food portioning works (no, we didn't get it either).

He was exactly the kind of unhinged that Elon Musk would be if he were trying to fit in with a bunch of goons in a subforum for shitposting about computers and the tech industry. Even if he isn't *actually* Musk, he is in YOSPOS canon.

Musk is absolutely the sort of person who would be "in touch" with internet culture enough to know that SA exists through osmosis, and then pretend to slum it to feel involved with the older better parts of the dot com bubble.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SerthVarnee posted:

The accessibility community is also caught between a rock and a hard place, with a lot of the most prominent and knowledgeable advocates being completely tied to Twitter. All their networks are through twitter, all their linked studies, their walls upon walls of discussions about best practices are on twitter and almost the entirety of their audience has been reached through Twitter.

They might be able to move that following on to a different platform, but their ability to further grow and build that audience has been massively crippled.

https://twitter.com/arhayward/status/1588587436661407745?s=20&t=sDJGWZIkWFZg3UIiHrAEHQ

@TwitterA11y was a direct channel for completely random people to get into contact with fairly high ranking, relevant people at places like Ubisoft, EA and Microsoft.
Now we're back where we started, having made some important connections but having lost the ability to reach more of the main stream industry through transparent networking.
Back to knowing someone who knows someone at nepotism inc.

Is there an API to download tweets?

We can just make a new short post format platform with an API to import the contents of old tweets. Automate it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You couldn’t hope to possibly get 1% of the tweet database as it exists now over the free API. And that database is growing. loving FAST. Much faster than you think.

Don't need all the tweets. Just for people who do useful content like Serth mentioned. Have them migrate to your new platform and let the apis pull and rehost their old tweets.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

VSOKUL girl posted:

remind me, did he launch the starlink "assistance" before or after he publicly announced his annoyance with bandwagon addition of ukrainian flags to social profiles

God I hate to be that poster because I hate musk the person, but the starlink assistance was a brilliant marketing idea by not-elon. They shipped a bunch of recievers and turned on the geofence around Ukraine. Then people got on the bandwagon and bought more recievers and shipped them. To the point where thousands of terminals were sent. Now, six months later, Ukrainian forces have advanced past that original geofence and Elon is making a huff about how they've got 5000 dishes with accounts 6 months unpaid. Instead of taking it as a $15M marketing gimmick that sells them as a perfect buy for the DoD which ensures their business in perpetuity they are spiking that good will.

I have no data to backup that it was one of the smart employees who started the Ukraine support and Elon who galaxy brained trying to collect a few million in revenue for a service whose marginal cost to starlink was free, but it is in line with $8

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The Fix is in

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Elon called some favors in, handed out a few horses, and now can pay for the interest in his loan to buy Twitter.

The joke of capitalism is that this mind boggling amount of lottery winnings is only 1/16th of twitters annual loan repayments! 63 Million a year for 30 years. A lifetime of decadent wealth. Still not anywhere near enough to self-immolate on social media.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Insulin is very cheap to manufacture. A better future is possible

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

stealie72 posted:

Counterpoint: stay there and heckle the losers.

That gives twitter ad revenue.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Sometimes I wish dril would be a little more candid about his views, as he is very smart, but i'm laughing through that interview anyway which is good enough.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Platystemon posted:

I would be so owned if the GOP respected the union’s decision.

No they can help gently caress over the union (their goal) while still blaming Biden for loving over the union (Also their goal). Because in this case Biden is straight up loving over the union.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My housing is paid for, I am guaranteed a paycheck every two weeks, I am always fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Along the same vibes, and current events, the Dwarf Fortress OST dropped today https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp1Y6qRhEmZyEeE3O1xz-qb62htJbPqIF, which is a big thing to look forward in the future month of December 2022.