Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think the other thread will appreciate your very factual unbiased sources a lot more

Elsewhere online, HRW are too mean to Ukraine. Here, they are just too mean to the Russian Army. A bunch of dumbasses online think civilians should just loving deal with land mines. It is extremely stupid and bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

I am open to the idea of Russian indiscriminate use of anti-personal mines but I am unaware of any evidence.

You didn't read the report about how landmines were being used in ways that harm civilians, including boobytrapping urban areas?

Deploying anti-personnel mines into urban areas is pretty indiscriminate.

I don't have a similar issue when Russia or Ukraine use anti-tank mines along specific routes of advance. Those don't detonate when a kid touches them, and placing mines along the route of an armored advance or to cover a withdrawal, like from Kherson, is much more defensible.

E: uh oh, quote is not edit. The dreaded double-snipe. Indiscriminate posting.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Cool, do you think they're making up the whole thing, and the civilian victims of anti-pesonnel mine use are all liars?

I think your source is poo poo. It's sloppy. It points to dead links supposedly less than a year old. My point is the same point I always make. The evidence you post is almost always garbage.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

NGOs have always been used to launder government propaganda. poo poo, they're doing it right now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I think your source is poo poo. It's sloppy. It points to dead links supposedly less than a year old. My point is the same point I always make. The evidence you post is almost always garbage.

Thank you, land mine defender. But no matter how hard you post, I remain generally opposed anti-personnel landmines.

If you think they’re a good idea, you can think that!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

They know exactly what they are doing which is why their latest tank is called panther. Just kinda being on the nose about it.

Yeah...

One reason I am looking for good book recommendations is that I just spent 2x900 pages on The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy (Peter H. Wilson) and The Making of the English Working Class (E. P. Thompson) both of which left me unsatisfied in their, perhaps?? very English refusal to apply broader patterns or theories to their works

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Taping a picture of a landmine over my Vladimir Putin body pillow.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like the russians arent gonna try any fancy side offensives and are simply gonna try to beak open the donbas walnut that theyve spent months slowly cracking, should be interesting to see if their grinding strategy worked at all or not.

i just hope we get some updated map gifs

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, pretty sure neither Ukraine nor Russia has any real urge to take these specific recommendations to heart.

:siren: :siren: :siren: whataboutism detected

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mlmp08 posted:

Thank you, land mine defender. But no matter how hard you post, I remain generally opposed anti-personnel landmines.

If you think they’re a good idea, you can think that!

this is why people hate you

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
"wow even western institutions are finally admitting ukraine are making violations"

"actually russia does it too and it's even worse. here is a garbage source. i'm going to spend the next 20 pages shidding and farding all over the place"

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
a wise man said landmines were the perfect soldiers

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

landmines are pointless vs russia as their human wave tactics just absorb all the casualties and keep moving forward

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

this is why people hate you

I am against the employment of anti-personnel landmines. If someone's instinct is to defend their employment, that's their problem.

Like drat, you are mad because of a conversation that started with me pointing out Ukraine's usage of them and violation of their own ban agreements?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
orc toes avoid landmines

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mlmp08 posted:

I am against the employment of anti-personnel landmines. If someone's instinct is to defend their employment, that's their problem.

Like drat, you are mad because of a conversation that started with me pointing out Ukraine's usage of them and violation of their own ban agreements?

i love anti-personnel landmines and i want to kiss them on the mouth

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

crepeface posted:

i love anti-personnel landmines and i want to kiss them on the mouth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmara_69

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

oh okay but other types of landmines are fine and dandy???

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
someone points how your source is flawed and you interpret that as them loving land mines.

that's disingenuous even for a dumbass like you

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

we need to adapt to these new russian tactics. maybe send Ukraine some flamethrowers? do we still have any flamethrower tanks? that could deal with a horde pretty easily

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

When Mosul was leveled, all of the civilians were killed with humane shrapnel and debris. The only moral invasion and loss of civilians ever.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
we only use anti nazi landmines in the good ol usa

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

oh are we arguing with mlmp08 again? nice, good luck!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
orks have racial resistance to landmines, its fine for them

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

Okay, so, let's C-SPAM this. Why was British production so screwy? Britain had been, as you all know, The Workshop of the World, the first to industrialize and once led the world in heavy industry. You would think that, though it was no longer 1851, Britain had such a lead that converting industries to more modern methods of production would be a non-issue. Well, the short answer is Capitalists.

The longer answer is Britain in the 19th and 20th centuries was run under the ideology of Laissez-faire and Free Trade.

it owns that this happens over and over again. capital accumulates in a centre, but then has no reason to continue developing and thus cannot so someone else comes up with a better system

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gotta be real careful, but I do think there's a place for anti-tank mines that have a deactivation timer on them where a person can jump directly on them and they won't detonate. Some of those have timers measured in hours or at most a day.

War is bad, but I can see the argument for a more careful anti-tank mine usage for things like covering withdrawals. That's why I have no serious issue with the fact that Russia fired anti-tank mines to cover their withdrawal from Kherson. These uses are pretty distinct from just blanket throwing mines that never expire down all over the place that will kill any person who drives by or walks by 5 years later.

So less "fine and dandy" and more "I get why armies use them, and they should continue to move toward mines that are very limited and situational rather than long-term threats to civilians." If everyone collectively agreed never to use scatterable mines, that could be good, but that's rough. It's been easier to convince armies not to use anti-personnel mines. It just turns out that in this war, neither army is convinced not to use those.

But anti-personnel mines? Real bad and nasty stuff. I don't support their usage. I'm pretty dubious of the idea that such small mines can be made reliably to deactivate, since surely there's some defense type person out there working on that.

E: I didn't think "anti-personnel land mine usage is bad" would make people so mad, but oh boy...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
no one's biting, dickhead

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

no one's biting, dickhead

That's good; we should all agree on this very easy one. And it's only been about 1.5 pages, so we're making real progress on cutting down the length of derails.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

This was all from a book by Keegan, you said?

Keegan, and Keegan quoted in a review of Lee Considered: General Robert E. Lee and Civil War History.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Edit: technically a shaped charge

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

One of the first very thorough dressings down I got as a student was when we had a lecturer come in to discuss landmines and I argued for their military value.

Anyways, one of the highly publicized US gifts was scatterable mines. I'm confused, are they good or bad now?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

One of the first very thorough dressings down I got as a student was when we had a lecturer come in to discuss landmines and I argued for their military value.

Anyways, one of the highly publicized US gifts was scatterable mines. I'm confused, are they good or bad now?

Ukraine landmines are good, defensive mines. Russia landmines are bad, offensive landmines.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

HRW is either a bunch of tankies or CIA agents or the Ukrainian government, depending on who is reading it and wants to argue in favor of their chosen armed forces actions that put civilians at risk or abuse people or violate the law of armed conflict.

They can be all of the above at the same time too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Surely, you can tell the difference between RAAMS and Russian or legacy Soviet-designed equivalents, in contrast with anti-personnel booby traps, PFM-1 "butterfly" mines, etc? You're usually pretty good at identifying the difference between different types of ordnance.

bedpan posted:

Ukraine landmines are good, defensive mines. Russia landmines are bad, offensive landmines.

Hmmm, no, I think Ukraine firing PFM-1s, etc, is bad! That's why I posted that HRW article about Ukraine using them.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
sea mines look really cool too, so theres that factor

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the usa scatters mines like this
the soviets scatter mines like this

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bakers Cousin posted:

the usa scatters mines like this
the soviets scatter mines like this

It is wild that when someone posts the basic idea that it is BAD that Ukraine and Russia are deploying anti-personnel mines and harming civilians with their use, some people absolutely cannot turn off the team sports mentality to argue about it. Maybe anti-personnel mines are just bad.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

If you think about it, the best way to spread freedom and liberty is to liberate people from their corporeal prisons and set their souls free.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
stfu mlmp08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

stfu mlmp08