Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ottawa Convention states that only command-detonated mines are acceptable for use, so you'd have to trigger it yourself as soon as you see posts

mlmp08 posted:

Some of you have some seriously hosed up reactions to “anti-personnel mines are bad”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Some of you have some seriously hosed up reactions to “anti-personnel mines are bad”

they just want to blow you up nonactionably

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Being they’re such cheap and effective weapons and don’t invite pesky things like MAD I don’t really know how you get people to stop using landmines. Like the real reason say gas attacks weren’t used much after WW1 had like 1% to do with moral concerns and 99% to do with the fact they generally suck outside of very limited contexts. Banning them was just a big self-wanking pageant about as meaningful as banning the wheelock pistol.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
did you know they make fuzes that can transform normal air dropped bombs into 2000lb land mines?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

speng31b posted:

they just want to blow you up nonactionably

I'm picturing a nice flagged minefield so he won't get hurt but he'll have to spend a lot of time and resources clearing a path before he can post

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Wow this mlyp88 guy sure is struggling over these anti-personnel devices, you might say it’s a real ‘Mine Kampf’ 😎

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Turtle Watch posted:

Wow this mlyp88 guy sure is struggling over these anti-personnel devices, you might say it’s a real ‘Mine Kampf’ 😎

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Turtle Watch posted:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lmao

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Turtle Watch posted:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Turtle Watch posted:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm in full agreement that its lovely that both Ukraine and Russia are using landmines, however,

Turtle Watch posted:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mlmp08 posted:

who among us would stand up for an anti-personnel mine, wielding excalibur as a claymore

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Slavvy posted:

Some anti personnel mines around mlmp's keyboard would go pretty well I reckon

Let’s not obliquely wish harm on fellow posters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Majorian posted:

Off the charts mod brain

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think land mines are cowardly weapons and are surely more suited to snivelling grots or gretchin than fully grown ork boyz who can swing a choppa

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

some poor third worlder is going to be tasked with identifying an incoming APFSDS in real time and authorizing the tank to deploy defense measures
Select all squares with
3UBK14F1/9M119F1
If there are none, click skip

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Slavvy posted:

Off the charts mod brain

Lol if that were the case you’d be probed already, idiot.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

target here to blast obliques, actionable

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
probations are harm upon the poster

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

target here to blast obliques, actionable

Horny is indeed haram, citizen.:colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slava Ukraini

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slava Ukraini

Hey, no spoilers, they just got that game over there.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slava Ukraini

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

crepeface posted:

it owns that this happens over and over again. capital accumulates in a centre, but then has no reason to continue developing and thus cannot so someone else comes up with a better system

yeah, same reason fossil fuel companies didn't use their money to get an early start on more sustainable (lol) energy: those old and inefficient systems must still earn a return, and so can't simply be gotten rid of.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Turtle Watch posted:

lmfao

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
looks like Bakhmuts gonna be finished soon

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1621408550370033664?s=46&t=yPOL5I7YLcZLRk4oftwp6A

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1621236169710108675?s=46&t=yPOL5I7YLcZLRk4oftwp6A

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
artillery barrage of "ukrainian corruption betrayed us" lib talking points

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Endman posted:

I think land mines are cowardly weapons and are surely more suited to snivelling grots or gretchin than fully grown ork boyz who can swing a choppa

Land mines probably aren't worth the points cost in a competitive list.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
clean SS mines

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

:pusheen:

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Hubbert posted:

who among us would stand up for an anti-personnel mine, wielding excalibur as a claymore

well the M18 claymore (and its russian equivalent the MON 50) is also a mine but it is typically remote controlled* and typically used by forces wanting to defend a position who thus keep a map of where they put the mines so it's not as much of a concern as tiny individual antipersonel mines that are scattered over large areas

*though they can also be set up to be detonated by tripwire in some cases

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would argue that specifically targetting civilians in an area with mines is significantly worse than using them in an urban area in combat. Also, signing a convention against their use then turning around and using them also isn't particularly great. Overall, I believe Kiev has shown in the Donbas how little it regards what it claims is its own citizens and why I actually think the better if not more moral choice is for the Donbas and Crimea to remain in Russian hands regardless of which border those populations had previously fallen under.

Obviously, the rest of Ukraine is another matter.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Feb 3, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Re: landmines, how about this: you put landmines everywhere, but they only explode when the bad guys step on them

I think this would address everyone's concerns.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

so what you're saying is that mlp has such an unhealthy relationship with this thread that he'd literally walk into a minefield for the sake of getting in some low rent trolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Oh my god