Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Dull Fork posted:

Why don't the people who own these Twitter HQs.... just change the locks once its been X days since they last got a rent payment? Slumlords do it all the time.

Replacing the tenants for a building that size is tremendously expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
All these tech layoffs... there must be a tidal wave of office furniture hitting the market.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Papercut posted:

Also, commercial tenants tend to be in charge of their own physical security. The landlord may not actually possess the keys/keycard to get into the Twitter office or the ability to lock the door in a way they can't undo

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Papercut posted:

Uh huh, and letting the tenant use the property they aren't paying for is exactly like an empty building, neither get you money. Except there is now wear and tear going on from its use, and the tenant who isn't paying you probably isn't going to give a drat about how well the property is kept up. IANAL but also, what about liability issues where the property owner is aware of illegal things going on in the property (Musk making his employees sleep there), and they still allow twitter to rent he building?

I guess that just doesn't sound like enough of a good reason to keep them there to me? But I am not fully educated on all the corporate loopholes that exist. Are they hoping to let them continue to stay there, so that they can take Twitter to court and force them to pay? Seems like kind of a big gamble, seeing as how Musk has a massive interest payments on his purchase, and is actively doing everything to cut costs. Seems like bankruptcy is in Twitter's future, and Twitter simply won't have the money to pay rent by the time the court cases will end. At least that's my guess.

I just hate seeing how once there's enough money involved, you see there's a whole new way the world treats you and gives you exceptions. Throw their bill-dodging asses out in the street and be done with em.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

haveblue posted:

Also, commercial tenants tend to be in charge of their own physical security. The landlord may not actually possess the keys/keycard to get into the Twitter office or the ability to lock the door in a way they can't undo

Why couldn't they call the police to have them clear the building of trespassers?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dull Fork posted:

Why don't the people who own these Twitter HQs.... just change the locks once its been X days since they last got a rent payment? Slumlords do it all the time.

Because that's illegal. Slumlords do that poo poo to people that're too poor to sue, but Twitter isn't small enough or poor enough for landlords to risk blatantly violating the law against them.

Legally evicting a tenant requires filing a lawsuit against them and convincing a judge to issue an eviction order. Though I'd just about guarantee that the landlords would much prefer that this lawsuit just scares Twitter into paying what it owes, since actually evicting and replacing a corporate tenant the size of Twitter is a huge pain in the rear end.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Dull Fork posted:

Uh huh, and letting the tenant use the property they aren't paying for is exactly like an empty building, neither get you money. Except there is now wear and tear going on from its use, and the tenant who isn't paying you probably isn't going to give a drat about how well the property is kept up. IANAL but also, what about liability issues where the property owner is aware of illegal things going on in the property (Musk making his employees sleep there), and they still allow twitter to rent he building?

I guess that just doesn't sound like enough of a good reason to keep them there to me? But I am not fully educated on all the corporate loopholes that exist. Are they hoping to let them continue to stay there, so that they can take Twitter to court and force them to pay? Seems like kind of a big gamble, seeing as how Musk has a massive interest payments on his purchase, and is actively doing everything to cut costs. Seems like bankruptcy is in Twitter's future, and Twitter simply won't have the money to pay rent by the time the court cases will end. At least that's my guess.

I just hate seeing how once there's enough money involved, you see there's a whole new way the world treats you and gives you exceptions. Throw their bill-dodging asses out in the street and be done with em.

I'm not an expert either, but replacing commercial tenants at this scope can literally take years and also involves significant construction projects (that require all sorts of coordination with other tenants in the building because of interruptions to utility services, although I'm not sure that's the case with Twitter). So I assume their thinking is to exhaust all legal means to recoup the money they're owed while keeping the existing tenant.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Plus you're going to have to declare that it was the Twitter House and that's probably going to sting you for a bit.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Because that's illegal. Slumlords do that poo poo to people that're too poor to sue, but Twitter isn't small enough or poor enough for landlords to risk blatantly violating the law against them.

Legally evicting a tenant requires filing a lawsuit against them and convincing a judge to issue an eviction order. Though I'd just about guarantee that the landlords would much prefer that this lawsuit just scares Twitter into paying what it owes, since actually evicting and replacing a corporate tenant the size of Twitter is a huge pain in the rear end.

So yeah, I skipped a few steps there, but these are steps that a property owner of such a massive office building should easily be able to do, if they wanted to.

I went and looked up some more info on the issue. Found several articles all saying basically same thing. ( https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/evicting-a-commercial-tenant-in-california-54040 https://bornstein.law/california-commercial-eviction-process/ https://www.rocketlawyer.com/real-estate/landlords/non-residential-or-commercial-property/legal-guide/the-commercial-eviction-process )

It looks like its a relatively straight forward process to evict a commercial tenant, and there are in fact less protections for commercial tenants than residential ones. You're right, you do need to go before a judge, but the steps required don't seem to take long, (one link suggests 40-90 days). Breach of contract includes not paying your rent, simple as. I can't see a judge willing deny that, no matter how many well paid lawyers Twitter might have. So if the owners of the property did want Twitter out, they could do so. It wouldn't be illegal unless they didn't go to a judge. But as others have said, the property owners would vastly prefer Twitter just pays their rent, instead of dealing with a guaranteed lack of income from the empty property and going through the process of tempting some other business moving into the space,

That feels like the far more likely answer than 'Property owner can't evict business who doesn't pay rent, that's illegal!'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes you have far less rights as a commercial tenant than residential, for obvious reasons

You are not going to be legally allowed to remain in a corporate office if you just stop paying the rent

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dull Fork posted:

So yeah, I skipped a few steps there, but these are steps that a property owner of such a massive office building should easily be able to do, if they wanted to.

I went and looked up some more info on the issue. Found several articles all saying basically same thing. ( https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/evicting-a-commercial-tenant-in-california-54040 https://bornstein.law/california-commercial-eviction-process/ https://www.rocketlawyer.com/real-estate/landlords/non-residential-or-commercial-property/legal-guide/the-commercial-eviction-process )

It looks like its a relatively straight forward process to evict a commercial tenant, and there are in fact less protections for commercial tenants than residential ones. You're right, you do need to go before a judge, but the steps required don't seem to take long, (one link suggests 40-90 days). Breach of contract includes not paying your rent, simple as. I can't see a judge willing deny that, no matter how many well paid lawyers Twitter might have. So if the owners of the property did want Twitter out, they could do so. It wouldn't be illegal unless they didn't go to a judge. But as others have said, the property owners would vastly prefer Twitter just pays their rent, instead of dealing with a guaranteed lack of income from the empty property and going through the process of tempting some other business moving into the space,

That feels like the far more likely answer than 'Property owner can't evict business who doesn't pay rent, that's illegal!'.

I think you've misunderstood something, because the landlords did go before a judge. That's the entire reason we know for a fact that Twitter hasn't been paying rent: the landlords filed lawsuits against Twitter after it failed to pay rent, and those lawsuits are matters of public record.

However, they can't actually evict Twitter until the judge rules that they can. Like you said, it can take 40-90 days (though I doubt that accounts for the resources of massive companies like Twitter). The landlord of Twitter's San Francisco HQ filed their lawsuit just five days ago, so we can expect at least another month before any ruling in the case. Until then, there isn't going to be any lock-changing.

The reason why it took so long for them to file a lawsuit in the first place appears to be that the landlord had three and a half million bucks worth of security deposit from Twitter, and the lease contract provided that the landlord could take that security deposit and count it toward any unpaid rent. The lease contract also had some mandatory waiting periods in regards to sending demands and such. So the landlords took the security deposit first and sent demands to Twitter to replenish it, and only filed suit when the time limit on those demands expired.

We can expect similar circumstances around Twitter's other properties. The unpaid-rent lawsuits have started flowing in this month, so none of them have yet progressed to the point of a judge ruling on them.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

I think you've misunderstood something, because the landlords did go before a judge.

Ahhh, yeah I definitely wasn't aware that part had already happened. Nor the part where they had something in their contract that let the property owners pull from a security deposit first. It looks like they're well on their way to evicting them then? I cannot see any judge siding with Twitter on its non-payment of rent.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I would guess they aren't trying to evict Twitter. Judge will probably force Twitter to pay what they owe (or more likely they'll settle on an amount and avoid the trial). Twitter will then probably go back to paying perhaps they will renegotiate monthly rent.

It's not in the landlords interest to lose Twitter, Musk is just playing dumb games to reduce Twitter's expenditures in the short term and hoping he can bully partners to pay them less.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn’t the nonpayment thing usually a negotiation tactic to get cheaper rent? Like they’re gambling that the landlord would rather keep them at a lower rate than have to find someone else to rent to and the hardball tactic is “we’ll start paying again if you lower the rent”?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dull Fork posted:

Ahhh, yeah I definitely wasn't aware that part had already happened. Nor the part where they had something in their contract that let the property owners pull from a security deposit first. It looks like they're well on their way to evicting them then? I cannot see any judge siding with Twitter on its non-payment of rent.

Oh yeah, there's no way Twitter could possibly have an actual defense here. We're just waiting for the gears of the legal system to turn. The only ways this makes any sense at all are if they're trying to bully the landlord into accepting a lower rent payment rather than deal with this trouble, or if they thought they were going to be making way more money in a couple months and wanted to defer their rent payments till then.

I'm guessing it'll take a few months to reach a final result, and that eviction is extremely unlikely because the landlord will happily drop the case if Twitter agrees to pay up. The SF HQ landlord isn't asking for eviction yet - they're suing for three and a half million bucks in back rent, a ten million dollar security deposit (the lease had a clause that tripled the required security deposit if Twitter changed owners), and any other damages the judge sees fit to provide. If Twitter steadfastly refuses to pay up, this case would eventually progress to an eviction order, but Twitter's financial situation shouldn't be so bad that it can't come up with twenty million bucks to hand over to the landlord at the last minute. Same goes for the other landlords, though I suppose Musk might consider a couple of offices to be disposable enough to give up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Isn’t the nonpayment thing usually a negotiation tactic to get cheaper rent? Like they’re gambling that the landlord would rather keep them at a lower rate than have to find someone else to rent to and the hardball tactic is “we’ll start paying again if you lower the rent”?
I assume that is what Musk is gambling on, yes

He reportedly also told his people to stop paying other bills to ‘negotiate’ a better rate. But this is involving larger companies like Amazon, Cisco, and I think Google, so good loving luck

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:smugdon:

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1618369351723388935?s=20&t=D7syPbgSUlJWbP3uFZSNVw

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Why? Why is this even a thing? Jesus loving christ these money grubbing pieces of poo poo. It's just about drama for clicks and views right?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

LegionAreI posted:

Why? Why is this even a thing? Jesus loving christ these money grubbing pieces of poo poo. It's just about drama for clicks and views right?

Forget it. It's Elon, so there's pretty good odds that he honestly believes Trump shouldn't have been banned in the first place.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Prism posted:

Forget it. It's Elon, so there's pretty good odds that he honestly believes Trump shouldn't have been banned in the first place.

Yes, Elon, famous owner of facebook.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Billionaire face-blindness. :smith:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

LegionAreI posted:

Corporations exist to make money. Preferably tomorrow/next quarter. I get where youre coming from, but they don't think they're pieces of poo poo. Their purpose is to make money and otherwise they are constrained only by whatever the government is willing to do to regulate them. Our esteemed leaders and stalwart institutions that represent our will collective will.

...what is the saddest emoji?

Personally I've given up on *all this* continuing into the future in a positive manner at the trajectory we're on, so Trump being on social media should equate to a laugh or two (second hand of course).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, Elon, famous owner of facebook.

I have no idea how I misread it as Twitter unbanning him but I did. Probably because I'd heard those noises last year.

It's me, I'm the idiot on social media.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Prism posted:

I have no idea how I misread it as Twitter unbanning him but I did. Probably because I'd heard those noises last year.

I think Twitter unbanned him in November already.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, but he hasn’t posted since then anyway. Rumor has it that he has an exclusive deal with one of the right-wing twitter clones

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Prism posted:

Sad you missed that, if you wish to take any humor in the tragic comedy. You know musk wanted a Trump hit to boost Twitter, and Trump snubbed him trumpishly. I believe he said something like "that's his place".

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Dull Fork posted:

Idk if the building in question is owner operated, but a lot of commercial real estate is owned by one party, managed by another party, and leased to one or more tenants who then might have their own facilities management teams depending on their lease terms. And it isn’t a $2000/mo walk-up with a front door, it’s a full building with a bajillion doors, multiple access systems, and a bunch of other poo poo that gets leased out for hundreds of thousands of dollars per month.

Also commercial real estate is still mega-hosed right now from the pandemic and the shift to work from home, so you’re probably better off trying to make your tenant pay instead of kicking them out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LegionAreI posted:

It was never a permanent ban in the first place. He was only banned for two years, and those two years have passed.

Why was he only banned for two years? Because Facebook was too cowardly to permaban Trump in the first place. After Jan 6th, they just temporarily suspended his account for "at least two weeks" (in other words, until after the inauguration). Once Biden was inaugurated without significant incident, Facebook immediately kicked the case over to their independent oversight board, which told Facebook to pick an actual punishment and stick to it instead of dicking around with arbitrary suspensions. In the end, Facebook settled on a two-year ban from the date of initial suspension", but with the option to arbitrarily extend the suspension if they think it's warranted. Which looks to me a lot like "we'll keep him banned until after the midterms, and then make our decision based on where the political winds are blowing".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It appears that Trump is finally pulling the plug on Truth Social

I’m sure he figured out that he just doesn’t have the same reach that he did on Twitter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m sure he figured out that he just doesn’t have the same reach that he did on Twitter

Supposedly, he’s got an exclusivity contract signed with it until June or July 2023.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like do you think Trump actually thought that for a moment and not just understood the basic value of leverage

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Supposedly, he’s got an exclusivity contract signed with it until June or July 2023.

Since when has Trump cared about obeying contracts

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

More free advertising for the great job Elon's doing.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Meloni/status/1619834984398991360?s=20&t=mFYPgq52Z5NBOMHo24JG1g

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tangentially related to the thread, but definitely related to Musk having the last laugh- the primary source for the @ElonJet twitter account, a community-sourced database of aircraft activity, has just been sold to private equity and will probably be much more amenable to rich and powerful people demanding to be excluded from it now.

quote:

ADS-B Exchange has made headlines in recent months for, as AFP put it, irking “billionaires and baddies.” But in a Wednesday morning press release, aviation intelligence firm Jetnet announced it had acquired the scrappy open source operation for an undisclosed sum.

Jetnet mostly provides intelligence for the aviation industry and was itself acquired by private equity firm Silversmith Capital Partners last year. According to a company press release, “the acquisition is the second of what the company anticipates will be several future acquisitions as Jetnet expands its data-driven product offerings for the aviation industry.”

The deal wasn’t exactly welcomed by the user base that makes up ADBS-B Exchange. “I don’t see a long future for ADSBx under a PE [private equity] firm,” one user wrote on ADS-B Exchange’s Discord server. “And definitely not the information-for-all we-show-all-the-data service it is today. The paycheck was bigger than the vision.”

ADS-B Exchange was supported almost entirely by hobbyists submitting their own aircraft tracking, so it's equally likely to be censored or just shut down when they all leave now. Maybe someone else can put together an ADS-C Exchange with all the orphaned data streams.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

haveblue posted:

Tangentially related to the thread, but definitely related to Musk having the last laugh- the primary source for the @ElonJet twitter account, a community-sourced database of aircraft activity, has just been sold to private equity and will probably be much more amenable to rich and powerful people demanding to be excluded from it now.

ADS-B Exchange was supported almost entirely by hobbyists submitting their own aircraft tracking, so it's equally likely to be censored or just shut down when they all leave now. Maybe someone else can put together an ADS-C Exchange with all the orphaned data streams.
If it's open source, why can't they just pick up and move to a different site and continue from there? From my quick reading, the data is all coming from volunteers with their own receivers that they've built or bought. Can't they just redirect where they're reporting to some other site that is using the same open source software? I get that trying to get thousands of people to do anything in unison is like herding cats, but people that have gone through the trouble of using their own time and money on something like this seems like a group that would actually do it.

Am I missing something?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I am wondering that too. What it reminds me of is when a fan wiki gets taken over by one of the big wiki sites and all the contributors just move to somewhere else.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

The hobbyists not only made one replacement site already, but three. Supposedly, the 200TB historical file has also been reconstructed or copied from the original site.

Someone spent $20 million dollars for nothing, which seems to becoming a theme in the techbro world.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:capitalism:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1621206777202200579?s=20&t=GnrlfZOP6-d_yK7blS7CjQ

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it actually makes a lot of sense that meta stock would jump on this news, because the primary downside to owning meta stock is that every publicly traded share combined can't tell zuck no, and currently zuck is wasting all your money on the metaverse

so him using money to give it to you instead of lighting it on fire is really good news for you, the investor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a shame he took the money from engineer salaries and not the metaverse department, then

Meanwhile, another major domino falls at Twitter:

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1621026986784337922

"The Twitter API" is how bots and other automated tools use Twitter. This will severely impact all accounts that are not literally a human typing into the field and clicking post.