Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Doctor Teeth posted:

you might also look at croatia's equalizer

Somewhere, Tony Ralston smiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

Lionel Messi and Inter Miami are nearing a deal to make him the highest-paid player in MLS history, per @TimesSport

Lol

Lol

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Garth Lagerway had his first presser for Atlanta, says he left Seattle because there was no CEO position he could be promoted to (no surprise) and that he's keeping Bocanegra (sucks to be you Atlanta fans).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Garth Lagerway had his first presser for Atlanta, says he left Seattle because there was no CEO position he could be promoted to (no surprise) and that he's keeping Bocanegra (sucks to be you Atlanta fans).
So Atlanta's not really going to get much better then.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Merritt Paulson is apparently selling just the Portland Thorns instead of both the Thorns and Timbers and then loving off forever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Merritt Paulson is apparently selling just the Portland Thorns instead of both the Thorns and Timbers and then loving off forever.
I'm surprised if for no other reason than that he'd get a hell of a RoI on the Timbers expansion fee.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
apparently the rules DO apply to Los Angeles teams

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1598792332203237400

(this is apparently over under-the-table payments to Cristian Pavon, of all people, way back in 2019)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

lol and lmao

Now if they could just look into how the hell LAFC's roster this past season was compliant...

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
on this evidence I expect to hear back on that in 2025 (and to afterwards hear Philadelphians screaming about asterisks until the day I die)

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

apparently the rules DO apply to Los Angeles teams

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1598792332203237400

(this is apparently over under-the-table payments to Cristian Pavon, of all people, way back in 2019)

Galaxy fans, myself included, have been clamoring for ownership to fire Klein and his front office for years now. They gotta replace him at this point I think. The optics of rehiring a guy who got suspended for literal cheating would be terrible, but this is AEG.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Imagine willingly going from Montreal to Columbus. Just imagine.

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1599897286724579329

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: Rumors :siren: say the 2023 schedule will drop on December 15th, and I'd expect any potential non-Apple broadcasters will be announced around that time as well. As you may know, the El Traffico that kicks off both clubs' seasons is outside the 7:30PM local start time, so I would assume they've got someone lined up.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Imagine willingly going from Montreal to Columbus. Just imagine.

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1599897286724579329

I dunno if we have any montreal fans here but this seems less than ideal overall

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1599898169122652160

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The players young enough to still have a shot at Europe were always going to leave, that's the danger of doing well in a league at MLS' level, but they could have kept Nancy and if the rumours of his leaving because of clashes with Saputo are correct then it should be an eye opener for their FO/ownership

(except that Joey Saputo may be the least self-aware man in Canadian soccer, and boy is there a lot of competition for that title)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

OK, I take back my earlier snark about willingly moving to Columbus because that does mean not having to deal with Joey Saputo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: More rumors :siren: indicate that MLS will have Fox Sports as their primary linear broadcaster in the United States. Whether this means that Fox Sports will use their own announcers and whatnot remains unknown.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

:siren: More rumors :siren: indicate that MLS will have Fox Sports as their primary linear broadcaster in the United States. Whether this means that Fox Sports will use their own announcers and whatnot remains unknown.

:smith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With MLS' out-of-market package leaving ESPN+, I could see some harsh feelings from ESPN in the form of a low bid, and Fox Corporation, in its current form, doesn't give a poo poo about exclusivity. These two things were probably factors in this reported decision. It doesn't effect the Apple deal either way, anyway.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
As the steady drip of broadcast information continues, Univision is out as a broadcaster.

Julio Cortez, Philadelphia Inquirer posted:

Univision will not carry Major League Soccer regular-season and playoff games in the new era of broadcast rights that starts next year, a source with knowledge of the matter told The Inquirer on Monday.

When Apple takes over as MLS’s primary rightsholder next year, its streaming platform will have every game in the regular season, the playoffs, and the new Leagues Cup tournament pitting MLS teams against opponents from Mexico’s Liga MX. And they will all be available in English and Spanish, plus French broadcasts for Canadian teams’ games.

Univision will have linear TV rights to a package of Leagues Cup games for its channels, including over-the-air Univision and cable’s UniMás (which is also over the air in some cities) and TUDN. The highest-profile game in the deal will be the final, for which Univision will have exclusive linear TV rights.

But that will be it for a network that has carried MLS games since 2007, and was the league’s first Spanish-language TV home from 1996-99.

The news came a few hours after the New York Post reported that ESPN is also out of televising MLS games, ending the only broadcast relationship that has run for the league’s entire 27-season history.

Multiple sources confirmed this to The Inquirer. One source said there was a disagreement over Apple putting some ESPN games outside of the streaming platform’s paywall, which would disincentivize fans from watching on TV.

An ESPN spokesperson contacted by The Inquirer said the network had no comment.

With ESPN and Univision out, Fox will be the exclusive home of TV broadcasts of MLS games. What that will look like — specifically, how many games will air on Fox’s broadcast network versus cable channel FS1 — is still to be confirmed. But it’s no secret that Fox is the only major U.S. network that doesn’t have a major live sports streaming platform separate from its TV channels.

ESPN and ABC have ESPN+; Univision has Vix+; CBS has Paramount+; Comcast’s NBC and Telemundo have Peacock; and Warner Bros. Discovery Sports has HBO Max.

The last of those will be the new English-language home of U.S. national team rights starting next year, through 2030. Every game that the U.S. Soccer Federation controls rights for — in essence, home and away friendlies — will be live-streamed on HBO Max, with some games also televised on TNT.

HBO Max also has the rights to the U.S. Open Cup, the national tournament involving teams from every level of the sport — from MLS down to amateur leagues.

This means ESPN’s only remaining American soccer property is the lower leagues run by the USL. The next opportunity to change that will be in 2024, the first year of the National Women’s Soccer League’s next broadcast deal. ESPN would have to beat incumbent CBS to win the rights; CBS has indicated it’s interested in keeping them.

There’s also news about the future of MLS broadcast rights in Canada. Incumbent TSN has kept the English-language rights, and French rights will return to TSN’s sibling RDS after six years with rival TVA Sports.

The likely return of MLS rights to RDS was first reported by Montreal-based IMFC Radio in August. The deal seems to have been completed in recent weeks.

In June, Apple and MLS announced that the tech giant would pay at least $250 million a year for 10 years of rights. Games will be available on Apple’s platforms with no local blackouts, but there will also be no traditional local TV broadcasts.

The subscription price was announced last month: $14.99 per month or $99.99 per year, with discounts for existing Apple TV subscribers. Season ticket-holders of MLS teams also get a subscription for free.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hopefully Apple doesn't hire any of their terrible terrible terrible terrible English commentators.

Also, Austin signed Gyasi Zardes, because sure, why not?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

buried in that univision is out article is this bit

quote:

Univision will have linear TV rights to a package of Leagues Cup games for its channels, including over-the-air Univision and cable’s UniMás (which is also over the air in some cities) and TUDN. The highest-profile game in the deal will be the final, for which Univision will have exclusive linear TV rights.
[

Univision is probably perfectly happy to take just the package that involves liga mx. Also exclusive tv rights on the league cup final.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
We got deets from the mothership!

-Four year deal (priming the pump for the 2026 World Cup)
-15 regular season matches on Fox proper
-19 regular season matches on FS1
-8 playoff matches on Fox/FS1, including the MLS Cup Final
-Fox/FS1 will also have sixteen total Leagues Cup matches - ten Group Stage matches, four Round of 32 matches, and two Round of 16 matches
-The TelevisaUnivision family of networks Leagues Cup breakdown - 12 group stage matches, eight knockout round matches, and the Leagues Cup Final

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the fox deal seems fine basically

the biggest coverage question at this point is which commentators and analysts and such will be involved for mls/apple+ coverage

i also am curious to see how much we see in terms of promotions and such for the apple package, it seems sensible for apple to try to gain as many subscribers as possible in year 1 and its not like they need to hold the line on $100 signups right now in the scheme of their money making. I wonder if they cut a bunch of deals with various companies for it to be free or close to build a base of subscribers.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I know there’s a monthly plan as well ($15), and every match opening weekend is free for everyone.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I know there’s a monthly plan as well ($15), and every match opening weekend is free for everyone.

Im thinking more along the lines of tmobile subscribers all get mlb.tv for free, or 3 months free trial promotions and whatnot. I have no idea but i would think user acquisition would be the initial goal.

I dont mind paying for it annually anyway, just curious to see how aggressively apple approaches broadening the subscriber base

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That $100 gonna be much more tolerable than the $1000 I’ve been spending last few years on season tickets. Thanks Merritt!

Going to plug this here, because I’m not sure what kind of overlap there is with the WoSo thread. If you are in Portland, and want to get a photo of your pet with Kris Kringle, I’m donning the Santa suit again on Friday to raise funds for the Black Women’s Players Collective. Currently sitting

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Sounders are headed to Morocco for the FIFA Club World Cup in February for what might be the final small-scale tournament before it becomes a 32-team quadrennial tourney in 2025.

Adding to the "fun" of this tourney is that Real Madrid's calendar is really full in February and the 2022 AFC club champion won't be crowned until May. Fun fun fun.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'd love to make it down there for a game or two, but I already have a trip planned that week. I also have no idea what the hell the team will look like, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sounders get smacked down hard in the CWC.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The schedule is out!

e: here's the breakdown of clubs Fox Sports wanted:

Atlanta United, LAFC, LA Galaxy, Portland, Seattle: 6
Austin, Nashville: 4
Minnesota United, Orlando City, Philadelphia, Sporting Kansas City, St. Louis City: 3
Columbus, Dallas: 2
Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Colorado, D.C. United, Inter Miami, New England, NYCFC, RBNY, Real Salt Lake, San Jose: 1

That leaves the Canadian clubs and, surprisingly, Houston with none.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 20, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Link to the schedule by team:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2023-mls-regular-season-schedule-announced

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

they went pretty hard with the clustering matches on saturday nights and i still think that sucks but welp

otherwise it seems basically fine. the fox games are heavily slanted towards teams with good atmospheres as you'd expect

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:rip: DC being the odd-man out on Decision Day

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Montreal hired Hernán Losada. That should be fun.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the SUPERDRAFT is tonight

hopefully there are some delightfully mlsy trades

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can't wait for Philly to sell all their picks again

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

G-Hawk posted:

the SUPERDRAFT is tonight

hopefully there are some delightfully mlsy trades

Orlando City has just traded up to the #2 pick!

e: D.C. United got Ruan for the pick :dafuq:

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 21, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Orlando City has just traded up to the #2 pick!

and st louis just sent the #1 pick to charlotte for the #20 pick and a bucket of garber bucks

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

G-Hawk posted:

and st louis just sent the #1 pick to charlotte for the #20 pick and a bucket of garber bucks

[citation needed]

e: Tom Bogert said it, I guess it's real. MLS!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 21, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the first pick is hamady diop, which mls soccer dot com's mock draft had going #13, but matt doyle says he would pick

alrighty

edit: all 6 of the first picks in the draft have been traded now, mostly for GAM

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

G-Hawk posted:

the first pick is hamady diop, which mls soccer dot com's mock draft had going #13, but matt doyle says he would pick

alrighty

edit: all 6 of the first picks in the draft have been traded now, mostly for GAM

Make that 7!