Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
This is going to be a shitshow.

Not sure if I mean the thread or the elections themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Bold Prediction: January 6th was just a dry run, if not a sliver of what is to come.

Fascism is winning in America, and our legal and political systems aren’t really setup to deal with these kinds of poo poo shows.

I mean, every time we go through these machinations as a society, there are always ridiculous amounts of violence. Recent historical example: The civil rights movement.

Way further back historical example: The ACW and reconstruction.

It won’t be the folks fomenting the poo poo, but the people they incite and the people they target them at that will bear the brunt of this violence, if not all of it save for collateral damage.

I hate the direction this country is moving in.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Just faxed my ballot and looking more at leaving the country for professional school, yay :(

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I failed to get our ballots marked and dropped off/mailed for early voting so I have to haul my rear end out to do it tomorrow. Oh boy.

Hoping that the R candidates in Nevada eat poo poo but who knows.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Taking my son out tomorrow so he can vote for the first time. No idea whether it’ll all mean anything in the end but the world hasn’t hit him enough times to grind down his optimism yet so he’s excited to practice his civic duty.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Submitted my ballot by mail. My local races are pretty unremarkable beyond ranked choice voting at the city level, which would be a win.

Don't have great hopes for the results across the country though. The Dems have been getting out and saying more explicitly that democracy is at risk, but vast swathes of the country appear to receive that message with a shrug.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
finally, my phone will be free of texts seeking money for people ive never heard of, for at least two years

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Dems have been getting out and saying more explicitly that democracy is at risk, but vast swathes of the country appear to receive that message with a shrug.

Might be an element of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Dem fundraising emails have been telling me democracy is at risk and this is the most important election of my life since my first vote at age 18. I'm 34 now, and I've voted in every election since 2006.

The hell of it is, these past few years, they're not wrong and every recent congressional cycle and presidential election really is the borderline between a government notionally of the people and a government that's just openly in the pocket of whoever bought the most reps.

But even if the last couple of years have, indeed, risen to the level described by the hyperbolic fundraising messages of the last fifteen years, I suspect the average voter can only hear that message so many times before beginning to tune it out.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm interested in this election like I'm into watching Russian dash cams- perverse hopeful curiosity

It weirds me out the focus on PA, because on paper, lol. But I still see Trump signs every day.

What's scarier is the alibi of denial many GOP have- "if we didn't win, we don't accept because X"- and the 2 years of prep for subversion, and how it will work out.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Arc Light posted:

The hell of it is, these past few years, they're not wrong and every recent congressional cycle and presidential election really is the borderline between a government notionally of the people and a government that's just openly in the pocket of whoever bought the most reps.

But even if the last couple of years have, indeed, risen to the level described by the hyperbolic fundraising messages of the last fifteen years, I suspect the average voter can only hear that message so many times before beginning to tune it out.

the average voter does not consider themselves a force in large-scale struggles between political systems. they tuned that poo poo out before it started broadcasting

modern american federal politics is getting the people who were kinda maybe engaged in the presidential election to be engaged in an legislative election, and getting the people who were engaged in those already to be engaged in other states' or districts' elections

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
anything the gop loses on they are going to immediately cry foul on because real americans vote gop

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Dutifully cast my mail-in ballot in Washington, DC where it shall have no impact whatsoever because even though we pay taxes, we have no federal representation.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Guy in a Trump shirt in front of me was quizzing the poll lady on whether the machines were Dominion or not, glad to know that bullshit is still swirling in the toilet bowl.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Voted early with wife last week in GA. 10 minutes in and out.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So at what time do Americans either declare Democracy has died, or fallen into another attempted insurrection, depending on how many seats fall R or D tonight?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Randalor posted:

So at what time do Americans either declare Democracy has died, or fallen into another attempted insurrection, depending on how many seats fall R or D tonight?

This is what I am interested in. I am really curious how the GOP will react if/when they lose. Will we get a repeat of Jan 6th? Will it be more localized? Will nothing happen and we witness the last dying wet fart?

Normally I shun reality TV, but this has me interested.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I don't get yall doing mail in and early voting when the republicans are doing everything in their power to make those not count. The fact that record numbers of early votes and mail in ballots have been cast everywhere is terrifying as it just gives the republicans something to point at as an excuse if they lose.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arven posted:

I don't get yall doing mail in and early voting when the republicans are doing everything in their power to make those not count. The fact that record numbers of early votes and mail in ballots have been cast everywhere is terrifying as it just gives the republicans something to point at as an excuse if they lose.

Its literally the approved main method in my state, with the polling locations fairly chill because only olds show up

Ofc, p sure this state is locked in blue anyway

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Arven posted:

There are sane states where it's the primary form of voting.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arven posted:

it just gives the republicans something to point at as an excuse if they lose.

You can't appease these idiots, their fundamental problem is that the US isn't (more of) a white christian authoritarian state. If it wasn't mail/early voting, they would latch onto something else and be just as loud about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arven posted:

Never not gonna do mail-in. My ballot gets tracked.

If you do anything because you’re worried about “giving Republicans an excuse” you’re being an idiot. Simply existing is enough to do that.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Voted. It was chill. Didn’t see any chuds except on the ballot.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Arven posted:

I'm in a lovely red state where the GOP has literally thumbed its nose and ignored its supreme court on redistricting, so I have zero faith in my mail-in ballot being counted, but I vote early with a "real" ballot at the BOE every year and it's EZPZ.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiny Timbs posted:

Never not gonna do mail-in. My ballot gets tracked.

If you do anything because you’re worried about “giving Republicans an excuse” you’re being an idiot. Simply existing is enough to do that.

My existence gives them excuses, so gently caress em

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ASAPI posted:

This is what I am interested in. I am really curious how the GOP will react if/when they lose. Will we get a repeat of Jan 6th? Will it be more localized? Will nothing happen and we witness the last dying wet fart?

Normally I shun reality TV, but this has me interested.

To me the PA lege is the bellwether - if (if) Fetterman wins or if the Republicans claim there's weirdness around Shapiro winning then there's going to be pressure on the PA lege to throw it out, but they'll be doing it in a national environment where the dems hold congress and there's not much legal foundation for anything they do. It might end up being an overall victory for democracy, if they get this litigated and resolved before 24. To me the much worse scenario is all this getting litigated for the first time in a presidential election with Trump screaming about getting people in the streets and a split Congress in a best case scenario or an R Congress.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Arc Light posted:

Might be an element of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Dem fundraising emails have been telling me democracy is at risk and this is the most important election of my life since my first vote at age 18. I'm 34 now, and I've voted in every election since 2006.

I feel like even looking at that poo poo is something the average person doesn't do any more. Here in Henderson NV our mailbox has literally been overflowing with political garbage, to the degree that the communal mail recycle bin is also overflowing with political garbage. The local subreddit has several posts of people also decrying how much garbage there is.

And that's before I look at my phone, which has been buzzing about once a half hour with even more bullshit.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Zamujasa posted:

I feel like even looking at that poo poo is something the average person doesn't do any more. Here in Henderson NV our mailbox has literally been overflowing with political garbage, to the degree that the communal mail recycle bin is also overflowing with political garbage. The local subreddit has several posts of people also decrying how much garbage there is.

And that's before I look at my phone, which has been buzzing about once a half hour with even more bullshit.

My experience has been the opposite this year.

My phone is auto sorting the political texts into spam. I have received no phone calls this cycle (last year it was constant). We were getting a weekly flyer each for one of the Republican candidates, and then maybe a total of 3 more. Last weekend was the "worse" with about 12 total flyers. It's almost like they gave up on my neighborhood.

My wife, on the other hand, is getting SLAMMED by requests for polls, texts, emails, calls, etc. She has made it very clear that certain parties will not get her vote.

Anecdotally, our neighborhood has far fewer political signs this cycle. Last election I estimated roughly 25% of the neighborhood openly supported the Republicans. This cycle I have seen 3 houses total. I'm not sure if that means support has dried up or if people are just ashamed to openly support their chosen candidate.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Apparently a shitload of the voting machines in Maricopa County in AZ have broken, which is about the most ideal breeding grounds for election denialism that I can think of. So Arizona might get spicy soon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida dem turnout is terribly low.

The reason is the democratic party is running a republican against DeSantis and a cop against Marco Rubio, so quite a few people are not really motivated to vote for either of them. The party message has been “try to reach out to your republican friends and convince them to vote against fascism” which, loving :lol: at that stupid poo poo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

There are sane states where it's the primary form of voting.

I remember going to the elementary school as a kid when my dad would vote, but we've been full by mail for every election I've voted in. Its the best.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Arrath posted:

I remember going to the elementary school as a kid when my dad would vote, but we've been full by mail for every election I've voted in. Its the best.

I kind of miss the civic ritual of going out and voting, but nowhere near enough to outweigh the benefits of vote by mail - it's awesome to vote whenever works for me and be able to take my time and research races over time while voting.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Notahippie posted:

Apparently a shitload of the voting machines in Maricopa County in AZ have broken, which is about the most ideal breeding grounds for election denialism that I can think of. So Arizona might get spicy soon.

I KNEW they were going to have a problem in AZ. I've been hearing lots of stolen election this, secure the votes that, out of AZ the past few months.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Notahippie posted:

I kind of miss the civic ritual of going out and voting, but nowhere near enough to outweigh the benefits of vote by mail - it's awesome to vote whenever works for me and be able to take my time and research races over time while voting.

Otoh I might get the chance to tell some cuddy poll watchers to SMDFTB.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Fascism is winning in America

I hate to break this to you, but the right already won.

I feel like a lot of people are going to be surprised tonight when the Republicans take the House and Senate back. Maybe not though? I've pulled way back from politics and haven't been following it like I did during the previous few years, much to the betterment of my mental health. Seems like a lot of people are way too hopeful about the Democrats maintaining control of things.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr. Nice! posted:

the democratic party is running a republican against DeSantis and a cop against Marco Rubio

i don't understand how people can look at this poo poo and not just start laughing, joker style

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zamujasa posted:

i don't understand how people can look at this poo poo and not just start laughing, joker style

that’s my life. just watching things get worse and worse and laughing (because it keeps me from crying)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"i just don't understand why people don't want to vote for us"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

they actively work to smother any progressive candidates. the local party endorsed a property developer that changed his party affiliation when he moved into my county from south florida over the actual local progressive who wanted to do good things for people instead of just handing all of the city’s money to developers and police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Notahippie posted:

Living in Seattle I still sort of get this experience, every election I walk down to the local ballot drop box and there's always a bunch of other people doing the same thing.

Unrelated, but walkability and access to public transportation has been become my #1 thing to look for when it comes to quality of life now, such a massive improvement over the depressing suburban environment.