Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Happy Thanksgiving, Happy November! Did your 2022 yearly goals get blown out of the water? If so you're in luck: we're planning our 2023 financial and personal goals early to start the new year off right! Start organizing your thoughts and posting your goals both big and small: perhaps the extra push of accountability to internet strangers will be what you need to stay on track this upcoming year. Here's some suggested guidelines and old thread links shamelessly stolen from last year's OP:

Doccykins posted:

Tips for a successful financial year
  • Make a budget to help plan your incomings and outgoings
  • Make S.M.A.R.T. goals - Ensure that your goals at the start of the year are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time Oriented. This will help you keep track and not fail vague or unattainable targets
  • Bragging/flexing in this thread is fine, but only if you've been making the goals you set at the start of the year!
  • Small goals are cool and good, setting and completing small wins if you have a lower income/net worth is the best way to increase it! Many goons who are posting guillotine levels of wealth started years ago thousands of dollars/pounds in debt. Making and achieving their goals over the course of years has helped put them where they are today so don't be shy to :justpost: if you haven't participated in this thread before!
Previous Threads
Incremental Improvements Thread for small win inspiration

And now Turbinosamente's goals. More than a little ranty as I'm writing my reasons why too:

Financial

Overall: hoard money to buy a house.

• Add 13k to my savings. This is $250 a week for the year (and currently what I am socking away in the account) but I would like to do better than this pace and also avoid having to tap this account for bills if possible.

• Curb my bullshit spending on collectibles. I will probably always be collecting something, but I will tame it by holding out for the poo poo I really want and stop settling for "close enough" or "it's okay" or "I like it." Hoping fewer, but pricier, items turns out to be cheaper in the long run.

• Get a raise next October. Got one last October and was told I could get another one 6 months to to a year from then if I do well in my new department at work. So we'll see.

Personal

• Get to bed on time, bitch. I think a lot of my worn out, tiredness, and laziness feelings are from not getting enough sleep or quality sleep. No more midnight or 1 am bedtimes let's shoot for 10 to 11 pm.

• No new craft projects or mediums. I have too many unfinished projects laying around that need doing or tossing. If I need to buy a specific supply to finish a project that's okay, but no buying new supplies just because it's on sale or I think I might use it in the future.

• Similarly, buy no more than 5 video games. I just squeaked by buying less than 10 last year and I'd like to do better.

• Related to that I'll be doing my weird 5 thingy again: beat 5 games, read 5 books, watch 5 DVDs. Once I hit the minimum number of items in a category the goal number goes up by 5. This is to force me to consume the media I have before buying new. For too long I've hoarded all this stuff with the intent to watch it later and I'm sick of it. Ideally I'd like to get to a state where I can purchase a media item and enjoy it now instead of putting it off till later because of guilt over my backlog.

• Keep decluttering. Whether I get a house or not I got too much crap hanging around from my real magpie style collecting days. Should quantify this one somehow; number of items removed maybe?

• Play more bass. Don't have any quantification for this yet either, just feels like I don't do enough to justify lessons at the moment.

• Cook more often/ find new recipes. Sick of eating the same poo poo over and over.

So far that's what I've got, I'm sure this will change as we approach the new year.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
gonna favourite this thread so i can edit this post before january starts, but right now here are my goals for 2023:

financial:
- get a better paying job: i've put my notice in at my current job and i've got a bunch of interviews lined up as of mid-november 2022, so we'll see where it all takes me
- hit 10k in savings
- find an apartment in austria for under 750 euros/month
- move!

personal:
- begin commuting to work by bike at least twice a week
- transfer to a new university
- keep going to therapy all year long
- incubate turkey eggs
- have at least one medication review
- go on a real holiday

w4ddl3d33 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 4, 2022

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Just starting to figure out my financial goals for 2023 after a bunch of changes in the personal life. Putting this here as a placeholder/starting point:

Financial

-Save $35,000 over the year; part to extend the emergency fund out to 6 months, the rest toward a down payment.
-Aiming for a 10% raise or promotion w/ 20% raise in the spring, would increase the amount above by somewhere around 10-20k.
-Pay proper attention to the budget again.
-Pay off the last few thousand dollars of my car loan.

Personal

-Take a 2-3 week vacation to Japan using only points for flight and lodging.
-Figure out somewhere to go for a week to use my work's travel/fitness reimbursement w/o spending my own cash.
-Get better at cooking regularly on the cheap to cut down on monthly food costs and increase savings.
-Get back into the habit of airbrushing (models, maybe food too?)
-Properly prioritize self care in the form of whatever medical visits are necessary, but also just generally being much more active (rowing, walking, biking.)
-Learn to knit because I've been meaning to for years.

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 21, 2022

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Hoping to get some side hustles really moving in 2023.

I started flipping art in 2022 and have learned a ton over the past year. Made a ton of mistakes but I’ve gotten a decent strategy worked out by now. Setting a goal of 10k in profit for 2023.

I also bought a snacks related domain name and want to get some sort of blog/YouTube/TikTok snack hustle going. Not sure yet if I’ll just review snacks, resell snacks, or try making my own. Probably will do all three first and then see what sticks. Goal is to break even on money invested.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

laxbro posted:

Hoping to get some side hustles really moving in 2023.

I started flipping art in 2022 and have learned a ton over the past year. Made a ton of mistakes but I’ve gotten a decent strategy worked out by now. Setting a goal of 10k in profit for 2023.

I also bought a snacks related domain name and want to get some sort of blog/YouTube/TikTok snack hustle going. Not sure yet if I’ll just review snacks, resell snacks, or try making my own. Probably will do all three first and then see what sticks. Goal is to break even on money invested.

a couple months back i bought bighugeass.co.uk on a whim and if i'm not able to flip it for big money i'll be so so mad

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got rivetingmetal.com and it was for my attempt at selling jewelry/blogging about it, but it really ought to be like a site that reviews metal bands. What to do with the domains I'm basically squatting is a problem for later though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Good OP, OP. You did it! :toot:

I'm fortunate that things are pretty well on autopilot for my wife and I.

Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits.
Save at least $60K towards house down payment
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar.
$10K I-Bond purchase

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year
Use all my vacation time
Read 25 books
Exercise 150+ days

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Goals:
  • More money at end of 2023 than at start of 2023.
  • More muscles at end of 2023 than at start of 2023
  • Improve communications with my family. Establish monthly communication goals for each of them.
  • Pet dogs
  • Explore estate lawyers to get affairs in order.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm in a very good financial position going into next year due to all the work I'm picking up, but I don't think it's sustainable long term. I'm hoping I can keep the second job throughout the year, but maybe it makes sense to front load the savings so that I can still hit my goals if I drop it halfway through. I've kept our spending to a level that's supported by just the first job, but we'd have no spare cash for saving and investing if I dropped the second job - I know it's all the same, but it just feels different, you know?

Financial Goals:
Continue to max out my 401k
Support my spouse to max out her 401k
Support my spouse to set up her private practice full time
Cut our discretionary spending back by 5% ($150/month)

Personal Goals:
Take better care of my physical and mental health
Upgrade my first job (job search, interview, etc.)
Publish something

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Going to post this now, but will probably edit it up until New Year's Day, when I'll consider it locked...
edit: Okay, calling this locked now. Added some details so that when I update through the year I'll be able to remember details.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $1000 now, just need to repeat what I did in 2022 and will be set.
  • Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt level (all currently in loans, mostly student loans) is $63,453. If Biden's forgiveness goes through, I won't count that $10k extra reduction towards this $20k goal.
  • Max out company match on 401k - On auto with payroll deduction.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. (For real this time!) - On auto with monthly donation set up.
  • Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Waiting for the resort to open up reservations for Summer 2024.
  • Maintain $0 in CC debt - Holidays didn't help here, but it's still at $0.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds (Got a Wegovy prescription from my endocrinologist, so I'll have a lot of help on this one. This also works for the new year's goals because it's currently back-ordered and probably won't arrive until January. Also, 55 pounds is the maximum that I'd want to lose, so part of this goal will be to keep under that limit) - Still no word on the Wegovy. Need to sort out my eating before it arrives or else I'm going to be spending a bunch of money on drugs that won't be too effective.
  • Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - Currently on unit 6 as this starts, so finishing unit 110 is the goal.
  • Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - Pretty straightforward.
  • Deadlift 400 pounds again - Currently doing sets of 5 at 330# on a trap bar. For this to count I'll have to use a regular barbell, so I need to start training on that.
  • Run <10:00 miles again - Last mile time was <15 minutes. My cardio is complete dogshit right now.
  • Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Booked a trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Will see if work doesn't have a crisis.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 29, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
2022 was a pretty good financial year for me. In late March I started a new job with a higher salary, which enabled me to focus more on saving than I ever really have before. The fact that I'm no longer living paycheck to paycheck blows my mind, and it definitely encourages me to continue making more concrete financial goals.

Financial*

- stay at job until April (when my signing bonus becomes usable)
- $20,000 emergency
- $8,000 new apartment**
- $5,000 travel (keeping in mind that I have two trips coming up)
- $5,000 bills

Personal (habits)

- get out of bed before 10am at least six days a week***
- walk at least one mile a day at least six days a week
- listen to at least 3 hours of NRK Alltid Nyheter a day (jeg må øve! :norway:)
- limit five takeout/order-in meals a week

Personal (one-timers)*

- have my fibroids removed (or the whole uterus, whatever works)
- have my wisdom teeth removed
- buy a drat vacuum
- buy a new computer

* These will probably get reevaluated, since I'm pretty sure at least a couple of them will be complete well before the end of 2023.
** This is about saving money, not necessarily moving. If moving happens, it happens -- I just want the option.
*** Getting out of bed at 9:59am counts despite violating the spirit of the goal, waking up at 9am but getting up at 10 doesn't count at all.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Gooooooooals!

Three words for 2023 are: compassion, positivity, art.

General goals:
- Keep track of all financial activity in an overall spreadsheet to make end of year planning easier
- Go back to using a spreadsheet to track discretionary purchases
- Make sure we're hitting 10% of total expenses as charitable expenses
- Read 100 books
- Make pottery and build pit in backyard to try out reduction pit firing

Garden goals:
- Get compost for garden (Jan)
- Plant a bunch of pumpkins (March/April)
- Plant flowers for cut garden on top of leach field (April)
- Get curly willow cuttings and make wreaths to dry out (April/May)
- Do mother's day succulent pots for neighborhood (May)
- Get more blackberry cuttings and plant them up in front yard (May/June)
- Do at least 20 hoshigaki (September/October)
- Don't buy any more houseplants. Keep the ones I have alive. Split some to give away as presents.

DIY goals:
- Build loft in garage (Jan/Feb)
- Hire out electrician (Feb)
- Insulate and build floor (Feb)
- Hire dry wall guys (March)
- Restain the back deck (March)
- Paint garage (March)

Will come back later to edit but this is a good start.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Financial:
  • Replace my side job income with a bonus I get from working in-office in my main job
  • Pay off my home renovation loan in full (around €18400 after this month's upcoming payment)
  • Contribute the maximum in my private tax-advantaged retirement account (Likely only about €2k. I'll only know the exact amount in April because employee retirement savings is so well organized in the Netherlands that self-employed retirement savings schemes have been allowed to devolve into a mess)
  • Keep my emergency fund at €10k (no effort, just avoid emergencies!)
  • Keep my apartment fund at €10k. It can go over, and currently is, awaiting renovation bills and furniture purchases

Stretch goals:
  • Put anything left after this in my long term investment account

Apartment:
  • Get all walls and floors done so I can move my bed into the bigger (now empty) bedroom
  • Get electricity for that bedroom and the balcony done so I'll later be able to get an induction range in the kitchen (long story, stupid setup)
  • Get plumbing for my washer and dryer where I want it

Stretch goals:
  • Redo the entire toilet
  • Get a custom made hallway closet

Projects:
  • Finish and launch at least one software project, even if it's only for me to use myself
  • Help a friend finish and launch at least one project, probably a cookbook

Life/general:
  • Finish a book every month. I used to be a book a week guy, I need to get back on the horse
  • Cook for other people at least once a month
  • Take two vacations
  • At least four hours of exercise every week, measured in fitbit move minutes. Gotta turn that exercise bike into a GWM purchase

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Dunno about you guys, but I'm glad I started my resolutions early. Gives me a chance to "practice" before the year changes since I've had to talk myself out of a few bullshit collectible purchases already. So far so good, haven't ordered anything for 2ish weeks.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

Financial Goals:
Continue to max out my 401k
Support my spouse to max out her 401k
Pay off at least half of home renovation loans.
Support my spouse to set up her private practice full time
Cut our discretionary spending back by 5% ($150/month)
Not even 2023 yet and already there's a change of plans. We took out two $35k loans to finance a major renovation of our home, which came together a lot faster than anticipated. I believe that, at my current levels of spending and earning, I'll be able to pay off all of one loan and a portion of the second this year without having to compromise on my other investment goals.

It makes me nervous to have a large installment payment like that which could be tricky to pay off if my financial situation changes, so I'm going to pay off the loans in the first half of the year and help my spouse max out her 401k in the second half. It'll also save on the interest, which should offset any missed gains from investing late. Plus we're not retiring any time soon anyway.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Turbinosamente posted:

Dunno about you guys, but I'm glad I started my resolutions early. Gives me a chance to "practice" before the year changes since I've had to talk myself out of a few bullshit collectible purchases already. So far so good, haven't ordered anything for 2ish weeks.

Gave me practice too - I’ve already given up on 2023.

2024 is the year maybe

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hey fellow book goal people, what are some of the best ones you've read recently? I'd like to start 2023 out with some good reads.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Gave me practice too - I’ve already given up on 2023.

2024 is the year maybe

Oh come now, there's still plently of time to fully gently caress up 2023.

But for real I'm to the point of counting anything positive, no matter how small, an epic win. You won't gently caress up next year, I believe in you.

moana posted:

Hey fellow book goal people, what are some of the best ones you've read recently? I'd like to start 2023 out with some good reads.

None of the poo poo I read last year was any good but I suppose that's what happens when you try to clear your shelves of the "I'm totally gonna read this one day" books. However I remember River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay being a decent historical fiction book, and I still have it, so I might reread it after I get through the untouched books.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

moana posted:

This was absolutely the best book I read in the last few years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Islands_of_Unwisdom

Got it from one of those free community bookcases too

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

moana posted:

The most impactful book I read this year was Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome. It's a nice short read, with an absolute gut-punch of an ending.
Morgan G. Ames's The Charisma Machine was a tougher read, since it was a very academically-focused text, but it really helped to explain how people get sucked into tech utopianism scams. Her framework of Charismatic Technology is really helpful when you can kinda feel like something is bs but are having a hard time putting it into words.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had to read Ethan Frome as a kid and hated it. I wonder how I would react to it as an adult.

I read Conrad's Nostromo which I liked a lot.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Aight, I love Edith Wharton's Age of Innocence and also The Custom of the Country so I'll start with Frome, since I'm pretty sure I read it back in high school and didn't appreciate it enough. I put the other ones on hold through the library, except for the Graves which isn't in there, so I requested that they buy it. Thank you all for the recs, I'd love to hear when you read a good one this year as well!

My favorites I read this past year, by genre:

Fantasy: The Blacktongue Thief, very sassy and fun
Nonfiction: What the F, a really fun book about swearing. Also Raising White Kids which was super useful in helping me talk to my 6 year old about race.
Literary/Contemporary: Hell of a Book. What can I say, it's a hell of a book. Very meta and interesting to read with a book partner because you'll want to discuss the first couple of chapters with someone.
YA: A Deadly Education which is like a brown girl's Harry Potter but loads more interesting. Also has a cheesy romance because YA but oh man, so fun. I read the rest of the trilogy and it's finished so you don't have to worry about that.
Short Stories: Nobody Gets Out Alive, contemporary women's fiction style book about living in Alaska
Horror: Cabin at the End of the World by Dale Tremblay ahhhh this one was so fun. Don't read anything about it, just grab it and go. It's short and super crazy.
Poetry: Don't Call Us Dead by Danez Smith. Had to put this one down multiple times to cry. I read this after reading Amanda Gorman's lovely poo poo rear end poetry anthology and man, the difference between bad poetry and good poetry is just a chasm.
Spy/Thriller: The Constant Gardener by John LeCarre. Great. It's LeCarre, of course it's great.
Post-Apocalyptic/SciFi: The Windup Girl by Paolo Baciagalupi. I went out and read his The Water Knife right after, because this one was so good. Fantastic writing style, I flew through both of them.

I just got my hands on The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy which will be my 100th read of the year, hope it's a banger!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really loved the Water Knife.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really loved the Water Knife.
I think it was recommended in the Biosphere thread, but yeah, it hits maybe a little too close to home. That after reading Cadillac Desert last year, haha.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I have been participating in these threads for a long time! Earliest post I could easily find was from 2017, but I think I've been participating longer than that. They have helped me stay on track and accomplish many goals such as saving for the down payment on my house, paying off two cars, building a emergency fund...

I'll keep some of my usual goals this year and add some new ones! Gotta spice it up a little.

2023 Goals

1. Raise net worth by $304k to $340k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $18k to $20k. I have finally decided $20k will be my terminal goal here. Once met, I'll use the monthly contribution towards my Roth and something else? I'll figure that out this year.

3. Make one extra mortgage payment.

4. Contribute a minimum of $4.4k to Roth IRA.

5. Stay at or under my Eating Out budget for 10 out of 12 months. Was very bad at this in 2022.

6. Explore moving my Roth IRA from Betterment to a somewhere... better. Likely to occur Summer 2023.

7. Make a celebratory "11 years of YNAB" post at end of September. I can't believe I've kept a habit this long. Missed the 10 year mark a few months ago. Whoops!

8. Lose 15 pounds. Would like to lose 25 or 30, but trying to be reasonable.

8. Read 12 books. I miss reading for pleasure.

spinst fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 12, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Current State
- My student loans: 170k, currently 0% interest, no payments until Summer 2023
- Mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875%

Financial Goals for 2023
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife
- Max both of our Mega Backdoor Roths
- Put 10k/month in to taxable
- Put 3k/month in to savings
- Fund Baby Evil's 529 with an extra $20k
- Increase net worth to the next million
- Figure out what to do with student loans this summer

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 28, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2023 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max out backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA
  • Meet company match on 401k
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan A goal from last year that I didn't do and really need to.
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in This partially started at the end of 2022. 11k spent

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 0 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times I failed an X days/week goal last year, so maybe total times in a year would be easier to achieve since it's more flexible.
  • Use all of my vacation 0 of 200 hours
  • Reduce unplayed game list to 85% of my backlog I own too many games and most of them are probably poo poo. I want to track it and then clean it up.
  • Take the kids one place new every month We live near a medium-sized city, and we don't explore it nearly enough.
  • Engage more in community I'm not exactly sure how to track this, but I'm a passive bystander in most things I do. I want to engage more with people in the communities I lurk.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 5, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Hi there game backlog buddy! That's why I stayed the gently caress off the end of year steam sale and have such a low purchase limit for new games in 2023. Still have serious doubts I can beat 5 games though.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Turbinosamente posted:

Hi there game backlog buddy! That's why I stayed the gently caress off the end of year steam sale and have such a low purchase limit for new games in 2023. Still have serious doubts I can beat 5 games though.

I bought one game this sale, but it was exclusively to co-op with my brother, and I know we'll play it through. Most of my backlog is from stupid bundles that I bought like hotcakes when I had my first real taste of disposable income. Just going through and actually getting a handle on what I own will be a big win for me.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 30, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

in 2023 I'm gonna buy an individual corporate bond and hold it to maturity

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

1) Stop eating so much doordash/grubhub and cook more. Got in a bad habit justifying it and need to kick it for both health and financial gain.

2) Cash flow grad school - $26k I need to come up with

3) Cash flow a 3 week trip to Japan - been in the works since 2019, so this will be $5k probably. Minus whatever I can churn.

4) Keep up with basic retirement savings - HSA/IRA max, 401k match.

5) Back in the gym. Grad school plus an Achilles injury really detailed my gym plans. Need to get back into the grind.

6) Pay off $10k in outstanding student loans. This is a stretch goal and probably won't happen.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
(I think) first time posting in one of these :kiddo:

Financial

-Stay employed at same position or at least maintain a comparable salary at another position so that I won't need to make any major lifestyle changes.

-Pass the 4 CPA Exam sections by the end of the year

-Move emergency savings from garbage rear end Chase to any HYSA. Also not necessarily a goal yet but probably change my bank Chase to somewhere (anywhere) else.

-Deposit at least $1,200 into HSA.

-Continue to max out 401k contributions

-Sell off stocks in brokerage account and establish a Roth IRA with the funds

-Either get a killer offer to keep or cancel my Amex Platinum when it renews in August

Personal

-Workout at least twice a week with weights

-(Weather permitting) do some form of walking at least 30 minutes once a week

-Visit goon friends in Portland sometime in the Spring

-Go to Las Vegas with aforementioned goon friends in the fall for either a big fight event or F1

-Continue daily fantasy sports and sports betting as a hobby but-barring special circumstance or promotion-not play more than $10 at a time

-Declutter my lifestyle by selling off Magic: The Gathering collection, selling (or giving away) spare electronics/computer parts as well as giving away clothes I don't wear/no longer fit me anymore.

-Pursuant to the above set budgets for clothing and hobbies. I didn't this year and I just ended up wasting too much.

-Keep some sort of paper journal and try to update it at least twice weekly

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 31, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Woohoo, 2023!

Financial Goals
I make a lot of money right now. I don't know if I'll ever make this much again. And I work for a (profitable) startup, so who knows how long this will last. I bleed too much money on random poo poo, so 2023 is about fixing that and growing my accounts.

1. No new debt.
2. Save $2000/month at least
3. Emergency fund to $25k
4. Budget like you make 75% of your net pay
5. Fund a Roth IRA via backdoor

Personal Goals
1. Read 24 books
2. Exercise for 100 minutes per week minimum
3. Make something from one of my cookbooks or cocktail books once a week
4. Complete a UX course
5. Do a Spanish Babbel lesson every day

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I love this thead, good stuff, I've stuck it for a couple days at least.

I've got to sit down and think up some goals for myself. But in the meantime, for anyone who hasn't seen the post in their megathreads, we've got a feedback/rules discussion thread for the new year up here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020879

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Hi all, it's been a bit since I've posted in this area of the forums, but I'm gonna try and stick with this all year. In a combo hit of working somewhere toxic and the pandemic, I burned out pretty hardcore back in 2021. I ended up quitting my job in the latter half of 2021 and not getting another one until midway through this year, so I'm playing catch up a bit. I thankfully had a wonderful support system and didn't go into debt (except to myself), so I'm definitely in a pretty good spot but could definitely improve. With all that said, my financial goals for 2023:

2023 Financial Goals
1. Repay myself $0 of $4,490
2. Contribute full amount to 401(k) $0 of $22,500
3. Contribute full amount to IRA $0 of $6,500
4. Get veterinary e-fund back to $3000 $0 of $3,000
5. Sell old company stock
6. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs, I have too many accounts at this point
7. Stretch: Extra house payment

2023 Personal Goals
1. Find a new primary doctor
2. Yoga at least x2 a week
3. Cut down on eating out
4. Read 15 books 0 of 15

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Happy New Year all, lets hope this year is more profitable than last. Most of my goals this year are rolled from last year just because I managed to complete the grand total of 1 goal (short term savings) last year...

Doccykins posted:

Here we go for end of year:

Financial Goals for 2022

- Increase Pension Pot from £105k to £130k - Super Failed, got to treading water with it, still hovering around £105k
- Increase ISA from £13k to £18k - Dead in the water, I had too much bond allocation here and they've eaten poo poo all year with interest hikes and the Truss/Kwarteng catastrophe - actual loss down to £10k
- Increase Short Term Savings from £2400 to £5000 (if not cleaned out with personal goal) - Complete
- Increase Net Worth from £141k to £170k - Final tally was £142k, +0.4%
- Remortgage in December at end of 2 year fix, probably to a 5 year fix - Completes on 3rd January after the fixed term penalty expires tomorrow

Personal Goals for 2022

- Mount Bedroom TV and Bathroom Mirror - Complete
- Redecorate curtains and blinds for Kitchen | Living Room | Front Bedroom | Back Bedroom | Office - Completed half, have finally decided on the fabric for the living room, just the front bedroom to redo
- Redecorate living room floor - Not complete
- Buy new Office Chair (rolled over from 2021) - Not Complete
- Buy new Fridge/Freezer | Washing Machine for kitchen (this is more of a stretch goal as the current ones work but aren't particularly good) - Not Complete
- Buy new (used) car with Short Term Savings in Q3 or Q4 - Not Complete, the old one is still ticking over though so that's a plus
- Run and/or cycle at least twice a week - Super Failed
- Take a two week holiday in Q2 or Q3 and delete my work email app from my phone - this worked really well for the Christmas/New Year period to decompress (though I'm not logging in until tomorrow to see what kind of a disaster my inbox is) - Complete, and starting a new role for 2023 so inbox will start at 0
- Take one hour a day off screen at lunch when working - Kind of worked since getting the piano, using lunch to do some practice, but other times I still worked through

Financial Goals for 2023

- Increase Pension Pot from £105k to £130k
- Increase ISA from £10k to £15k
- Increase Short Term Savings from £5000 to £7500 (if not cleaned out with personal goal)
- Increase Net Worth from £142k to £170k

Personal Goals for 2023

- Complete Curtain/Blind refurb on living room and front bedroom
- Sort out skiing for early March
- Buy new Office Chair (rolled over from 2021)
- Buy new Fridge/Freezer | Washing Machine for kitchen (this is more of a stretch goal as the current ones work but aren't particularly good)
- Run and/or cycle at least twice a week - added for this year is to get in on the ground floor of my work's cycle to work scheme to force this a bit
- Take a two week holiday in Q2 or Q3 and delete my work email app from my phone
- Take one hour a day off screen at lunch when working
- Find a piano teacher and clear Grade 1

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Good OP, OP. You did it! :toot:

I'm fortunate that things are pretty well on autopilot for my wife and I.

Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRAs, HSA
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits.
Save at least $60K towards house down payment
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar.
$10K I-Bond purchase

Nonfinancial
Go skiing or snowshoe 10 days in the year
Use all my vacation time
Read 25 books and track the reading of them in goodreads or a similar app
Exercise 150+ days

I'm adjusting my goals to include actually tracking the god drat books I read

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This is going to be a weird year for me. I'm taking a hiatus this year from working for few months starting in April, so I have no clue about money this year!

Before I quit
Max 401k
Pay off any outstanding debts
Get my 2022 taxes completed
Complete my living will and power of attorney process
Launch my portfolio
Finish updating my resume

After I quit
Stay within my $500 month fun budget
Sell any extra clothing I haven't used this past year
Set up my Squarespace and start selling my pottery to make my hobby self-sufficient
Find a new job by July.

New job
Max Roth
Save 30% of new salary

Baddog
May 12, 2001
  • Research how to better utilize the company I formed for consulting/investments
  • If my accountant doesn't provide better value this year, find a new one
  • Organize estate stuff (and leave detailed/good instructions for my wife/guardians in case the bad thing happens!)
  • Stop holding onto bad investments so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My goals are:

Retire the CC debt we picked up during a family emergency last year- $7k - Goal is to do this my June:

Actually make and update the budget every month. We have not done well on this in a few years since my wife went back to work.

Cashflow two vacations.

Do estate planning- we have two kids and it’s irresponsible not to have done this.

Lose weight. This will be good for Lon go term health costs.