Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is there a branch of Buddhism that is most popular in the US? If I had to guess it’d be Tibetan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
buddha was the alpha and the omega goon

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is there a branch of Buddhism that is most popular in the US? If I had to guess it’d be Tibetan.

Richard Gereism

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

found the book

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

http://www.darkbuddhism.com/

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
has an app that tells him how much better he was at meditating this week than last week

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'd guess that weirdo one that DT Suzuki wrote a lot about, which is basically Calvinist Christianity with heaven and predestination and poo poo, and with Amitabha standing in for Jesus, but, check this, you don't go to heaven, you get reincarnated there, which makes it different

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
see, it's your desire to afford renting my beautiful home that causes you so much suffering bro

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Western.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Secular Buddhism

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Edit: white people buddhism

I quit being a Buddhist because there's like... Just ~too~ much suffering going on.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

just like stop having desires, it's not that hard

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Suffering Real Hahahaha Just Stop Having Desires Like Close Your Eyes Haha

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

okay so by getting rid of a bunch of redundant sections i’ve been able to trim down the recitation time of the heart sutra by 34.2 seconds, improving efficiency by approximately 27%. i’m also fairly certain that increasing the frequency of the chimes will lower the number of recitations required to attain enlightenment

hacking the tendai sect baby!

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
i've reached e11t

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
okay if everybody could submit their noble path self-evals by Friday that would be great because I've gotta normalize everybody's ratings by the following Friday and if I'm late again this year it'll be me on the wheel of samsara, capiche?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

mark immune posted:

i've reached e1m1

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Flowers For Algeria posted:

okay so by getting rid of a bunch of redundant sections i’ve been able to trim down the recitation time of the heart sutra by 34.2 seconds, improving efficiency by approximately 27%. i’m also fairly certain that increasing the frequency of the chimes will lower the number of recitations required to attain enlightenment

hacking the tendai sect baby!

overclocking my chakras

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's the Alan Watts version of Zen if anything

animist
Aug 28, 2018
yeah no bro it's WAY more environmentally friendly because instead of mining like bitcoin you just meditate in order to receive your Karma Tokens on the Lotos Network. that way you can store and objectively validate your spiritual progress! no humans involved, totally trustless!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Don't see what's so bad about a cycle of rebirth personally. Would love to live a billion lifetimes in the usa

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

He’s a solid 6 for sure, he also is a landlord lol.

lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Buddhists
Don't let 'em pick flowers and wear yoga pants
Make 'em vlog MAGA and QANON rants

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I don't want to.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"suffering stems from desire" is clearly true for most emotional suffering (which, as someone unfamiliar with Buddhism, I'm guessing is what it's referring to, since physical suffering obviously doesn't stem from desire)

Ironically, it is the most true with your average first-world middle class person. Once all your physical needs are met, nothing is left but the pain from desires going unfulfilled

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

"suffering stems from desire" is clearly true for most emotional suffering (which, as someone unfamiliar with Buddhism, I'm guessing is what it's referring to, since physical suffering obviously doesn't stem from desire)

Ironically, it is the most true with your average first-world middle class person. Once all your physical needs are met, nothing is left but the pain from desires going unfulfilled

Someone once told me that this is the reason Mahayana Buddhism is for the middle class. It made sense to me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

copy posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Suffering Real Hahahaha Just Stop Having Desires Like Close Your Eyes Haha

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

in some strands it's closer to "dissatisfaction stems from distorted habits of thought" which is also true of the average Applebees patron

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

i think it's that a desire to feel good things like happiness, or be free from feeling bad things like pain or hunger, is desire all the same.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
"suffering stems" sounds like a tech bro thing all right

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

clever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Xaris posted:

possy nossy

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/worker-carries-lao-national-flag-and-communist-hammer-and-sickle-flag-picture-id1213071456?s=612x612

https://www.csmonitor.com/1980/0129/012949.html

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

possy nossy

been saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos: