Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Borsche69 posted:

has there ever been given a reason why the ref crew consists of the a single ref, two linesmen and a fourth? obviously they have VAR now i guess, but that's only for plays subject to review, as opposed to moment to moment fouls. my guess is always that they wanted the game to be pretty much the same at all levels, and a minimal amount of judges reduces conflict and speeds up the decisions. its just bugged me for like the last 30 years that you have this huge pitch and only three sets of eyes

I think it’s just a combination of resources (as in, ref availability at the top levels) and there just not being a huge desire for change to the status quo by any important stakeholders. The lower levels in a lot of places don’t have ARs, let alone 4th officials (which is a shame, being the 4th is a lot of fun imo), so not sure it’s in consideration of all levels. If a bunch of Premier League clubs, for example, thought the system was not working and complained to IFAB, something would probably change.

UEFA experimented with Additional Assistant Referees before VAR thinking along those lines: more eyes are better, especially in the penalty area. They were just stationed on the goal line on each end with the radios and helped communicate with the rest of the crew on incidents in and around the penalty area. They really liked it. I would go as far as to say that if it were up to UEFA, they would have stuck with AAR + GLT instead of VAR. but VAR won the day so they stopped using them in 2018.

The other option then is to have two referees with whistles, one on each half. They have trialed it a few times across various competitions and my understanding is players hated it. Referees have different bars so you start running into something being a foul in one half and not a foul in the other half or a yellow in one or not the other, for example. It hasn’t been trialed in a while though, I don’t think, and refereeing has gotten a lot more professionalized since that time - maybe it’s worth experiment again, especially now that VAR is able to help out with major mistakes. Of course what that means is that you need double the officials, and so if we are already going “man the bottom tier refs in this league are awful”, a bunch of refs even worse than them will be on the field then, so might not be worth it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

we're not allowed to have soccer fyad any more, but for a brief moment it was beautiful

other than the feetposting

gently caress you and die

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bea Nanner posted:

gently caress you and die

just like old times

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

just like old times

Except that all your drug intake is now prescribed and for controlling your blood pressure

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
3 points for a win was also a massive change to promote more attacking football, and there are also the less successful attempts such as the golden goal (lmao)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Not at all a hockey expert, but weren't the changes that hockey implemented as much about making the neutral zone trap less important as it was about increasing scoring? I.e., while I am sure they appreciated the increase in the number of goals, the main "benefit" was speeding up gameplay?

Because that is the tricky thing about all the so far suggested changes to soccer: none of them fundamentally make the game any different or exciting, even if number goes up.

I think you're right that on balance the main driver of the rule changes to hockey was likely a consensus that the innovation of the Trap as a tactic was OP and it was destroying the game by being too effective.

That being said I definitely recall a lot of handwringing around scoring being low from sports commentators so that could have been a reinforcing message that would have encouraged the decision makers to consider doing something. The other issue aside from the Trap resulting in lower scoring was that the Trap also made the game more "boring" to watch. I can definitely imagine team owners looking at the competitive sports landscape and being very concerned about their sport becoming "boring."

I think the fact that further changes to the game that have been mused about to increase scoring (eg. larger nets, smaller goalie equipment) hasn't gone ahead shows that The Trap was really the catalyst that spurred the changes.

At the moment I think the fanbase and players are pretty happy with the "balance" of the game and I don't hear any complaints that the game is boring. I don't hear a lot of commentary about anything being too effective in hockey any more (but I'm a pretty casual fan so maybe I'm just not hearing it). So mission accomplished I guess!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

I think you're right that on balance the main driver of the rule changes to hockey was likely a consensus that the innovation of the Trap as a tactic was OP and it was destroying the game by being too effective.

That being said I definitely recall a lot of handwringing around scoring being low from sports commentators so that could have been a reinforcing message that would have encouraged the decision makers to consider doing something. The other issue aside from the Trap resulting in lower scoring was that the Trap also made the game more "boring" to watch. I can definitely imagine team owners looking at the competitive sports landscape and being very concerned about their sport becoming "boring."

I think the fact that further changes to the game that have been mused about to increase scoring (eg. larger nets, smaller goalie equipment) hasn't gone ahead shows that The Trap was really the catalyst that spurred the changes.

At the moment I think the fanbase and players are pretty happy with the "balance" of the game and I don't hear any complaints that the game is boring. I don't hear a lot of commentary about anything being too effective in hockey any more (but I'm a pretty casual fan so maybe I'm just not hearing it). So mission accomplished I guess!

The sort of equivalent of the trap in soccer is when teams do the whole park the bus and hope for a counter thing. None of the ideas that people have tried to come up in soccer would address that. Increasing goal size wouldn't prevent teams from parking the bus. Since teams that park the bus are already all the way back, changes in offside wouldn't really matter.

I don't think the average soccer fan from birth cares too much about low scoring, and I think parking the bus as a tactic is kind of accepted given the disparities in funding between clubs/nations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
What we really need is some rule against whatever the hell just happened, ban all games like that

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
‘Parking the bus’ by the way seems like it’s a phrase as old as football (b. 1992) but it was only coined back in 2004 by Mourinho. Which now I write it out is a long time ago goddam. Think we now have players in the WC younger than that phrase

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

‘Parking the bus’ by the way seems like it’s a phrase as old as football (b. 1992) but it was only coined back in 2004 by Mourinho. Which now I write it out is a long time ago goddam. Think we now have players in the WC younger than that phrase

One of Australia’s wingers, Garang Kuol was born in September 2004 - dunno if he’s the youngest player at the tournament but it’s probably pretty close

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
He’s second youngest, just in front of Gavi (18 years, 400 games, 0% cartilage left in his knee by 21) and just behind Youssoufa Moukoko for Germany.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

This a very interesting tidbit that I did not know. :tipshat: Always just assumed it was some old timey idiom that's always been around.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

And, at least in the States, Nike is running an ad referencing its secret tournament ads from 2002, so older than players in the tournament they're advertising in.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Big Black Dick posted:

This a very interesting tidbit that I did not know. :tipshat: Always just assumed it was some old timey idiom that's always been around.

https://youtu.be/ADCgnHASO1Q

tbf he appears to suggest that it's a portuguese idiom, so maybe if one of them goes to spain to use the internet we can ask

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
What does direct football exactly mean?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ScottyJSno posted:

What does direct football exactly mean?

Nearest thing would be a fast break/counter-attack.

It means pretty much what it says, you're not trying to retain possession, you're trying to immediately score.

Sometimes called "Route 1" which means bypassing your midfield players by kicking a long ball up to the forwards. It's a tactic mostly used by teams playing against better opposition because it helps them relieve pressure on their defense by literally getting the ball as far away as possible.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'd say there's a difference between direct long passes and counter attacking tactics, and route 1 over the top to the big man football.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I'd say there's a difference between direct long passes and counter attacking tactics, and route 1 over the top to the big man football.

Yeah both fall under the umbrella of 'direct' tactics, but one is about quickly moving the ball up the field into space left by the opposition pushing up the pitch, with quick forward passes and pacey attackers. The other is about launching long balls to a big target man up front who looks to flick the ball on to a strike partner or hold it up for other attacking players to catch up and run on to, typically used to bypass the midfield when you are technically outclassed by the opposition, but maybe can dominate their smaller players physically in aerial duels.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Louis van Gaal famously had a meltdown in a presser after being accused of being a long ball merchant by a long ball merchant, because LVG started cluing in to playing long passes into the channels for Rashford

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I would love to find a website that will tell me which matches from the previous week were the best, without revealing why or the final score, so that I can go back and watch any good games I missed. Does this exist?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

blue squares posted:

I would love to find a website that will tell me which matches from the previous week were the best, without revealing why or the final score, so that I can go back and watch any good games I missed. Does this exist?

https://soccercatch.com/ will at least let you watch a ton of recent highlights and full matches without telling you the score.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

greazeball posted:

https://soccercatch.com/ will at least let you watch a ton of recent highlights and full matches without telling you the score.

I have enough streaming services that I can watch most of the major leagues after the fact. I’m just looking for a site that will tell me which ones to watch, not one that will have the matches themselves hosted

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
didn't see this thread, sorry if i asked them in other threads and polluted it a bit.

ok questions:

1) I cant figure out what team to support lol. I enjoyed the all or nothings on amazon, so man city felt good, but they're the overdogs now. when i was younger that was man u iirc. and I have absolutely zero connection to any of the cities or towns whatsoever. WC games definitely felt good when I was rooting against the big teams and the biter guy, is there a team that doesn't usually win but has a chance this season? a Or maybe a team that doesn't dive? I can't stand that poo poo. Maybe there's some unicorn team out there for me that simultaneously has moments of greatness but also own-goals twice by a single defender and yet the coach has the tenacity to play him again second half. That was pretty great.

2) Why's the jan transfer window set up this way? Does it mean nobody can join or leave teams outside of the window? Or is there just a big penalty? Also when you see the fee amount, is that yearly or over 2-3 years? edit: maybe a sharper question would be: how's the window make things more interesting?

3) please recommend me your favorite football documentaries tv or movie. Seen the all or nothings already and loved 'em, especially the american arriving to Juventus fat

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 31, 2022

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

thehandtruck posted:

didn't see this thread, sorry if i asked them in other threads and polluted it a bit.

ok questions:

1) I cant figure out what team to support lol. I enjoyed the all or nothings on amazon, so man city felt good, but they're the overdogs now. when i was younger that was man u iirc. and I have absolutely zero connection to any of the cities or towns whatsoever. WC games definitely felt good when I was rooting against the big teams and the biter guy, is there a team that doesn't usually win but has a chance this season? a Or maybe a team that doesn't dive? I can't stand that poo poo. Maybe there's some unicorn team out there for me that simultaneously has moments of greatness but also own-goals twice by a single defender and yet the coach has the tenacity to play him again second half. That was pretty great.

2) Why's the jan transfer window set up this way? Does it mean nobody can join or leave teams outside of the window? Or is there just a big penalty? Also when you see the fee amount, is that yearly or over 2-3 years?

3) please recommend me your favorite football documentaries tv or movie. Seen the all or nothings already and loved 'em, especially the american arriving to Juventus fat

1. West ham or spurs would probably fit this bill but have you considered supporting Middlesbrough? We once got relegated because we caught the flu. I would also suggest checking out The championship (the league below the premier league) in general because its completely mental, way more physical and you could follow a team up from there into the prem and watch them spend 150m+ to get shafted.

2. It used to be you could sign players whenever which makes sense when you remember that the concept of a transfer fee started out as a literal actual bribe. There were reports of players being tapped up before big games, Transfer chaos all the way through the season ect so you can only make transfers during the windows, this dosen't apply to free agents however.

3. Goal the dream begins and Mike Basset england manager are both great films about football and Next Goal Wins is the best football documentary, accept no substitutes.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

thehandtruck posted:

2) Why's the jan transfer window set up this way? Does it mean nobody can join or leave teams outside of the window? Or is there just a big penalty? Also when you see the fee amount, is that yearly or over 2-3 years?

1. newcastle united

2. there is a january transfer window and a summer transfer window for the leagues/clubs in europe. no one can move either to or among the leagues/clubs in europe outside of these two windows. this gives the leagues some structure, and prevents the richer clubs from making predatory signings at crucial times in the season when a less well off club does unexpectedly well. the fee amount stated in the press is generally the amount of compensation one club agrees to pay another club in total for the services of a player. for example, liverpool just bought gakpo for £35mil from psv eindhoven. this means liverpool will pay psv £35mil to acquire gakpo's contract. how this payment is structured (up front, staggered, factoring in other stuff in lieu of direct financial compensation, etc,), and how much liverpool will pay gakpo for his services are entirely separate to this £35mil.

the notable exception to this is when an out of contract player joins a club - then the fee mentioned is usually how much said contractless player is going to make, e.g., ronaldo today

the most important thing to remember about anything financial in football is that football is ridiculously corrupt, and anything can and will be tolerated so long as the right person gets the right bribe

3. the hbo maradona documentary is worth a watch

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

blue squares posted:

If you can stomach Reddit, the /footballhighlights sub has a rolling weekly thread for "is this match worth watching", spoiler-free:
https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

thehandtruck posted:

ok questions:

2) Why's the jan transfer window set up this way? Does it mean nobody can join or leave teams outside of the window? Or is there just a big penalty? Also when you see the fee amount, is that yearly or over 2-3 years? edit: maybe a sharper question would be: how's the window make things more interesting?

1) if you really have no marginal link to anywhere in England I guess I’d recommend the usual thing of just watching a load of games and see which team you end up gravitating towards. If you’re after some kind of chance to see your chosen team win a major trophy in your lifetime I guess look within the ‘top six’ of Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool. Add Newcastle to that now if you can stomach Saudi ownership.

These teams are also more likely to play entertaining football in the main. If you find yourself drawn to say Brighton or Brentford because of the underdog magic this season, be ready to watch some absolutely dire games in a few years time when the current projects fail.

Saying that, not much would have beaten following Leicester in their title winning season for a long suffering supporter.

2) already answered

3) what the other said and I’d also add The Damned United

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

thehandtruck posted:

ok questions:

1) sounds like you should be a millwall fan
other good options:
Hartlepool United
Newcastle United
Gateshead
Middlesbrough
Bristol Rovers

3) Sunderland til I die is very funny and tragic

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

webmeister posted:

If you can stomach Reddit, the /footballhighlights sub has a rolling weekly thread for "is this match worth watching", spoiler-free:
https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/

Perfect!! Thank you so much

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

thehandtruck posted:

ok questions:

Your heart is already calling out for Leicester, why deny it? We’ve won the Prem and an FA cup in the last decade so it’s not crazy to hope for some silverware in the future and everyone loves our team of hardworking well behaved lads with a Cinderella story and Jamie Vardy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
despite the light trolling directed at supporters who pick top teams, the actual best way to find a team is just to watch a bunch of football matches and see who you feel an affinity with. There's no point picking a team and trying to force yourself to like them for the sake of it, ideally your support can grow at least a little organically based on thinking a team are fun or exciting to watch play matches.

For movies, I definitely recommend Mike Bassett England Manager

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also depending on where you live you can find fan clubs. In Dallas many premier league teams have fan clubs that meet to watch the games. I want to visit a few and make some friends and then support a team because I like the community

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Please don't fake support Middlesbrough

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

win a major trophy

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

in your lifetime

this is a mean and nasty trick to play on someone and you should be ashamed of yourself

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

this is a mean and nasty trick to play on someone and you should be ashamed of yourself

it's the same trick they pulled on Harry Kane

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Femtosecond posted:

About a month late for this chat but the common misconception with this subject every time it comes up is that goals = entertainment. They don’t. A totally mismatched game where one side gets hammered 6-1 is only entertaining for fans of the winning team, and after the first couple of goals when it’s clear which way the game is going then the last however many goals are very half-heartedly celebrated, unless of course the game was expected to be close and it’s your major rivals you’re humiliating in which case you’ll go hog wild. But the majority of high scoring matches are not like this.

Generally the most enjoyable matches for everyone involved (also a very nebulous concept - are we just talking the actual fans of both teams in the ground, or a potential TV audience?) are when you have two closely matches teams going toe to toe, or you have an underdog team pulling off an upset by sneaking a winner at the end of a match full of desperate last ditch defending. These all hinge on the fact that goals are comparatively rare to come by, and lower scoring matches allow 1 or 2 goals in the last few minutes of the game to totally turn the result on its head. This inherent unpredictability and wildly capricious nature of football is a huge part of why the game is so popular.

Also I’d say for most matches there’s a kind of ‘finite’ amount of entertainment to be derived from them - it’s not a case of being able to exponentially increase the enjoyment just because number bigger. Goals are one thing fans get very excited about, but they’re only as valuable because they’re so rare - it means great interceptions, tackles, saves, questionable refereeing decisions, penalties etc all have much more comparative weight, because they’re all in service of enabling or denying goals in their precious rarity. If games are much higher scoring then all of the other stuff that goes on in them stops being as important.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 3, 2023

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Eau de MacGowan posted:

1. newcastle united

2. there is a january transfer window and a summer transfer window for the leagues/clubs in europe. no one can move either to or among the leagues/clubs in europe outside of these two windows. this gives the leagues some structure, and prevents the richer clubs from making predatory signings at crucial times in the season when a less well off club does unexpectedly well. the fee amount stated in the press is generally the amount of compensation one club agrees to pay another club in total for the services of a player. for example, liverpool just bought gakpo for £35mil from psv eindhoven. this means liverpool will pay psv £35mil to acquire gakpo's contract. how this payment is structured (up front, staggered, factoring in other stuff in lieu of direct financial compensation, etc,), and how much liverpool will pay gakpo for his services are entirely separate to this £35mil.

the notable exception to this is when an out of contract player joins a club - then the fee mentioned is usually how much said contractless player is going to make, e.g., ronaldo today

the most important thing to remember about anything financial in football is that football is ridiculously corrupt, and anything can and will be tolerated so long as the right person gets the right bribe

3. the hbo maradona documentary is worth a watch

can u elaborate on the corruption stuff? i knew of the italians and their reffing scandals every year but didn't know about corruption in terms of fees and the transfer windows

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://watchdocumentaries.com/the-two-escobars/

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Here's a long shot. I was watching the 2015 UCL final and this piece of music played while Barcelona were receiving their medals. It's a neat piece of music and I want to know who wrote it. Tried googling, but everything I search for only turns up the intro theme. Does anyone here have any leads on where I could find out more about this piece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlpfoN9glk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Here's a long shot. I was watching the 2015 UCL final and this piece of music played while Barcelona were receiving their medals. It's a neat piece of music and I want to know who wrote it. Tried googling, but everything I search for only turns up the intro theme. Does anyone here have any leads on where I could find out more about this piece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlpfoN9glk

This is what I found from Google which is the current theme now. Of course, it is not the one you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFcwvsc522Y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archangel_(Two_Steps_from_Hell_album)Q

Edit: I think I found it. The song looks to be from Circo de Bakuza, a Canadian production company. Whether they outsourced or licensed the music somewhere else, I'm not sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circo_de_Bakuza

https://soundcloud.com/circodebakuza/ucl-lisboa-showtrack-3

psyer fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 29, 2023