Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody knows that meme where you have a magnet in front of a car, but is there any way magnets could be used to achieve this? Also can you please explain (I'm not being ironic here) me why the magnets don't work in the first example, I flunked physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Elon Musk tried this idea and you know how that worked OP................................

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

EorayMel posted:

Elon Musk tried this idea and you know how that worked OP................................

...He did?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
But can someone explain me the physics on the car and magnets thing? Is there a variation of it that could work?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Back in the 50s a scientist fed a bunch of metal pellets to a roadrunner, then held a large U-shaped magnet in his hands while wearing roller skates.

There's no reason that we couldn't scale this up and create a clean, efficient, powerful mode of mass transportation for this. We just need to watch out for the rare situation where the roadrunner paints a tunnel on a wall and we crash into it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Big Scary Owl posted:

Everybody knows that meme where you have a magnet in front of a car, but is there any way magnets could be used to achieve this? Also can you please explain (I'm not being ironic here) me why the magnets don't work in the first example, I flunked physics.

The trick is, you actually want the magnet behind the car, and then another magnet in the rear bumper in the opposite polarity, and you use magnetic repulsion to push the car forward.

The only flaw is that the magnet you're dragging on the ground behind the car loses too much energy to friction. They can make it work in winter on icy surfaces but under normal weather conditions the magnetic propulsion just isn't efficient enough to overcome drag and the magnet just acts as an anchor. They're working on a self-lubricating system so that the magnet can glide smoothly along the slick road surface.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They already got this magnet drive technology on roller coasters OP.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Big Scary Owl posted:

Natures abhors a vacuum. If that doesn't explain it then that's all I know about physics, sorry.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Newton's third law, OP. The car and magnet just get pulled towards each other.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

GetDunked posted:

Newton's third law, OP. The car and magnet just get pulled towards each other.

There weren't cars around in Newton's time

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
We don’t even know how magnets work op, how the HELL are we gonna drive a car with em?

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

Back in the 50s a scientist fed a bunch of metal pellets to a roadrunner, then held a large U-shaped magnet in his hands while wearing roller skates.

There's no reason that we couldn't scale this up and create a clean, efficient, powerful mode of mass transportation for this. We just need to watch out for the rare situation where the roadrunner paints a tunnel on a wall and we crash into it.

Have already eaten a lot of heavy metals in my lifetime, always down for more.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Electric motors are generally powered by magnets OP. When current flows through a wire it creates a magnetic field. With alternating current this swapping back in forth between the direction the field can be used to force something to rotate and that rotating thing can drive something like a fan, or presumably a car.

I dont know what meme you're talking about but I presume something like dangling a magnet in front of a car to constantly pull you forwards like a cartoon. The car is being pulled towards the magnet yes, but the magnet is also being pulled towards the car, and since they are all part of the same rigid system the net overall pull is neutral, the car doesn't move. Same reason you can't literally pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ArbitraryC posted:

Electric motors are generally powered by magnets OP. When current flows through a wire it creates a magnetic field. With alternating current this swapping back in forth between the direction the field can be used to force something to rotate and that rotating thing can drive something like a fan, or presumably a car.

I dont know what meme you're talking about but I presume something like dangling a magnet in front of a car to constantly pull you forwards like a cartoon. The car is being pulled towards the magnet yes, but the magnet is also being pulled towards the car, and since they are all part of the same rigid system the net overall pull is neutral, the car doesn't move. Same reason you can't literally pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

Just put a car with a magnet in back in front of the car you want to drive. Bing bong so simple pay me my engineer salary

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How do you think an O2 combines with a C to make CO2 and a big bang? loving magnets.

Electromagnetism is like half of the universe and nearly everything you see day to day. If someone asks why or what, you can always say magnets and no one except giant huge nerds no one listens to can call you out.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe we could do something with space travel involving magnets...? I dunno

There's this great video that explains the physics of it in detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwF-STGtfE

I mean if made a train like that, we could probably do it with cars too. Or maybe something in space.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Magnets, how do they work?! Nobody knows. Maybe you could use one of those MRI magnets as a tunnel to magnetically accelerate and launch vehicles on direct paths to their destination

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

Can you stand inside a car and push on it to make it move? It's the exact same thing, but in reverse.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aramis posted:

Can you stand inside a car and push on it to make it move? It's the exact same thing, but in reverse.

I can, but I'm really strong

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
What if you have a magnet in front of the car then you push the car down a hill.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Attach cars to hot air balloons at low altitude and move them via a goat with a powerful magnet attached to its back running on the ground

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
You can already move cars with magnets

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Magnets, how do they work?! Nobody knows. Maybe you could use one of those MRI magnets as a tunnel to magnetically accelerate and launch vehicles on direct paths to their destination

So hyperloop, if hyperloop wasn’t a scam to destroy public transport in California.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if the world trade centers were made of magnets 9/11 would have been a different story

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A car powered by u being ugly!!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Bargearse posted:

So hyperloop, if hyperloop wasn’t a scam to destroy public transport in California.

I was thinking more gauss rifle shot thru the air at the target location

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Not sure what you mean about the "magnet in front of a car" model, OP. You could put a magnet in front of a car that's powerful enough to pull it forward, but then what? It would take just as much or more force to pull it back. Nothing is really accomplished here. It's like asking if we can use gravity to power cars.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Not sure what you mean about the "magnet in front of a car" model, OP. You could put a magnet in front of a car that's powerful enough to pull it forward, but then what? It would take just as much or more force to pull it back. Nothing is really accomplished here. It's like asking if we can use gravity to power cars.

Just use a magnet to deflect the gravity. :science:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Gravity can power cars directly down, gravity cars work

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I think the OP might be a bit of a dum-dum.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Alucard posted:

You can already move cars with magnets

are u fuckign kidding me. that's obviously and clearly a claw

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

It's like asking if we can use gravity to power cars.

this is called a Saopbox Racer or pehrasp a Sled in its unwheeled variant, fyi

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Or a train that can generate power from gravity by rolling down hill

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Or a common household stairwell. Give someone a push and see them effortlessly clear dozens of feet powered by nothing but gravity.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

nice try, but a train nor a person are cars. off topic

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All I know about magnets is that story where some dipshit used those clacky spherical ones as anal beads and ended up in the hospital.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

nice try, but a train nor a person are cars. off topic

A train is a collection of cars chained together :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
electric motors run on the force of electromagnetism but i'm sure you meant something more stupid didn't you op