Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/latest-hit-secret-lair-feat-post-malone-2022-10-17

There's actually a mini-set of them?

Also I heard that Vin Diesel plays D&D?

and of course, hello to the nerdy celebrities reading this dead gay forum! :wave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hey yes it's me, Vincent Diesel and I love debate & discussion

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I prefer Pre-Malone

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

LordArgh posted:

I prefer Pre-Malone

:emptyquote:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

There's actually a mini-set of them?

Yeah, they've been doing these limited time themed pre-order sales lately where they offer special card designs for way too much money. There was a Junji Ito one too.

It's not the worst thing they're doing to squeeze money out of the fans. The 30th anniversary event they're running is four 15 card packs of reprints for $999. They've got different card backs so they're not tournament legal, so players are calling them thousand dollar proxy cards.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My Mandela effect thing is every time I see this dude's name come up and find out he is still alive, like I could have sworn he ODed years ago but I guess I'm just remembering every other white face tattoo guy

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Nooner posted:

My Mandela effect thing is every time I see this dude's name come up and find out he is still alive, like I could have sworn he ODed years ago but I guess I'm just remembering every other white face tattoo guy

he almost died a bunch of times

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, they've been doing these limited time themed pre-order sales lately where they offer special card designs for way too much money. There was a Junji Ito one too.

It's not the worst thing they're doing to squeeze money out of the fans. The 30th anniversary event they're running is four 15 card packs of reprints for $999. They've got different card backs so they're not tournament legal, so players are calling them thousand dollar proxy cards.

yeah Secret Lair stuff is pretty innocuous imo because I don't play Magic anymore but I've definitely thought about shelling out money for 4 cards from artists I like a lot

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
these aren't as cool as the nick cage cards my cousin did

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

yeah Secret Lair stuff is pretty innocuous imo because I don't play Magic anymore but I've definitely thought about shelling out money for 4 cards from artists I like a lot

Worst part is the fear of missing out tactics they're employing. I really like the aesthetic on this space themed one but the sale period is over so it doesn't matter whether I could afford them or not.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Bushido (one of, if not the most succesful german language rapper of all time) used to play alot of WoW, not sure if he still does.

An acquaintance of mine used to raid with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rystlv4HZK8

Also, grime GOAT JME is a Pokémon player / collector. Even has a track all about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XvsTYq9INU

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 15, 2022

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Das Butterbrot posted:

Bushido (one of, if not the most succesful german language rapper of all time) used to play alot of WoW, not sure if he still does.

An acquaintance of mine used to raid with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rystlv4HZK8

This violent rap music has gone too far; there’s a kid in this with a homemade slingshot! What’s next, gambling for baseball cards in games of marbles? Extorting the local soda shop for chocolate malts? Premarital necking??

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Worst part is the fear of missing out tactics they're employing. I really like the aesthetic on this space themed one but the sale period is over so it doesn't matter whether I could afford them or not.

They're usually printed to demand, so I don't get that upset about it. The 30th anniversary one though was horse poo poo since they had a limited print ruin, but still let bots buy up 50 at a time so it sold out in minutes with most of them going to scalpers.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Sophy Wackles posted:

This violent rap music has gone too far; there’s a kid in this with a homemade slingshot! What’s next, gambling for baseball cards in games of marbles? Extorting the local soda shop for chocolate malts? Premarital necking??

i mean... there's some very homophobic / mysoginistic lines in his lyrics, as is the case in a lot of rap music unfortunately. he used to be p. much the posterboy for toxic masculinity. don't like him very much personally for that reason, but it seems he's grown out of most of the really bad stuff as he got older.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Ultra Carp
What mana symbol is that? How do you even cast this joker

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Vim Fuego posted:

What mana symbol is that? How do you even cast this joker

Each one means you can pay 2 life or 1 black mana.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Vampire Panties posted:

I have 30 Years of Adventure, an anniversary book for D&D published in 2004. It has a foreword by Vin Diesel. He also started his own game companies to make the Riddick games, because he was tired of lovely movie tie-in games. The result was some pretty decent games.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've been thinking of buying a few packs of Magic, building a deck to play with.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I've been thinking of buying a few packs of Magic, building a deck to play with.

Arena is a good way to scratch that itch for free

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

My deepest and darkest secret is that I loving love Magic The Gathering but I cannot stand other people who play.

Infidel Castro posted:

They're usually printed to demand, so I don't get that upset about it. The 30th anniversary one though was horse poo poo since they had a limited print ruin, but still let bots buy up 50 at a time so it sold out in minutes with most of them going to scalpers.

this duder? :haibrower: this would be rad as hell to have

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Vampire Panties posted:

Joe Manganiello is so into to D&D some of his characters became official canon

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I got really into mtg arena for a couple months during 2020 peak covid times. Made it to plat in ranked and decided to take a break that is still ongoing. I should give it another go it was pretty fun

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I have an entire duffel bag full of late-90s/early 2000s Magic cards that one of my old roommates left when he found jesus and renounced all his poo poo. Haven't ever looked at it once in the decade+ since.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Post Malone is actually really cool and funny in interviews, its surprising what a down to earth and enthusiastic personality the guy has. Watch him on Hot Ones and I guarantee you'll like him by the end.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dragonstoned posted:

Joe Manganiello is so into to D&D some of his characters became official canon

:monocle:holy poo poo:monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdUSja1afjE

Also gotta be rad as hell to have the extra cash to get all sorts of sweet minis commissioned & painted

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Now that I've watched a couple MtG videos I'm getting bombarded with vids that are all some variant of Magic is dead/ruined.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I've heard it said that most pro football players nowadays are huge in to anime, especially DBZ. And, I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74KhDM9Z1Xk

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oh, so this is why everyone's doomsaying.

https://www.polygon.com/23458064/magic-the-gathering-overprinting-hasbro-stock-downgrade

quote:

A Bank of America analyst says Hasbro is “destroying the long-term value” of Magic: The Gathering by overprinting cards. The dire warning was accompanied by a double downgrade of Hasbro stock — from “buy” to “underperform” — as its valuation fell more than 5% before trading began on Monday.

“Hasbro is overproducing Magic cards which has propped up recent results,” wrote research analyst Jason Haas. “Card prices are falling, game stores are losing money, collectors are liquidating and large retailers are cutting orders.”

Hasbro has recently touted the performance of its Wizards of the Coast business unit, which includes Magic as well as the Dungeons & Dragons tabletop role-playing game. Haas notes that Magic alone accounts for some 15% of Hasbro’s annual revenue and some 35% of its annual earnings. Sales of the collectible card game nearly doubled over the pandemic, and Hasbro has urged that growth onward with additional new releases throughout 2021 and 2022. But Haas believes that the end of that growth curve is looming on the horizon, in part because “Magic has grown primarily by extracting more revenue from each player rather than by growing its player base.”

For individual retailers, the effect can be seen on store shelves.

“The increased supply has crashed secondary market prices which has caused distributors, collectors and local game stores to lose money on Magic,” Haas wrote. “As a result, we expect they’ll order less product in future releases.”

Haas also called out the Magic 30th Anniversary set as particularly egregious. These $999 bundles include just four packs of cards, which are normally priced around $5 each. But these special collector’s packs include reprints of highly sought after cards such as the Black Lotus. While technically unplayable in some of the game’s most competitive formats, their reintroduction still breaks a vow made to fans decades ago.

“Not only is the price excessively high,” Haas wrote, “but the set also includes Reserved List cards which Hasbro had promised to never reprint. This has created panic among collectors and we’re seeing collections being liquidated now that the scarcity value of Magic is in question.”

Haas concludes that Hasbro needs to cut its print runs going forward in order to allow more of its older product to sell through.

“Local game stores already appear to be selling Magic’s latest expansion set, The Brothers’ War, at a loss on TCGplayer,” Haas wrote. “Brothers’ War draft booster boxes are available now on TCGplayer for $107 and set booster boxes for $112, below a break-even price of $115 and $120 (per our math).”

Haas said that this kind of overproduction could ultimately lead to a loss of dedicated fans.

“While Magic has a dedicated and sticky fanbase, we’re concerned that continued overproduction of cards and declining secondary market values could push players and collectors into other trading card games such as Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Flesh and Blood,” Haas concluded.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Happy Landfill posted:

I've heard it said that most pro football players nowadays are huge in to anime, especially DBZ. And, I mean

:lol::laffo: this is probably more fellow-kids.jpg than anything - the Chargers moved to LA a few years ago and 100% tanked their fan base. They were sharing a soccer stadium with 27k seats for a while and couldnt sell out. The team is supposed to split a new stadium with the Rams, but they're 100s of millions of ticket sales behind. The current fuckstick owner will almost certainly be forced to sell and then it'll be the London Chargers

:laffo::laffo::laffo:
So alpha black lotus existing somehow props up the stock value of the company? this is the NFT argument :dafuq:

Aragon and Eomer in Akihabara :haibrower:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 16, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah repeat head trauma will do that. Pouring out a cold one for are boys in tights

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Vampire Panties posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo:
So alpha black lotus existing somehow props up the stock value of the company? this is the NFT argument :dafuq:
Silly though it may sound, effectively yes. A big part of what drives magic sales is speculation. A new set comes out and people are buying a bunch of products to either a: open in hopes of cracking valuable cards or b: sit on in hopes of selling later. When a set has seen some play and prices start to stabilize if it turns out the set was a stinker everyone (including stores you buy the cards from) loses their rear end on the unopened product because it's worth less than what they bought it for. It'd be one thing if this only hurt random people who "invest" a bunch in a random new product in hopes of selling years down the line, but when it hurts the brick and mortar stores that were just trying to stock enough to sell the next set to their local customers it obviously creates a problem.

I think more an issue than novelty collector sets is the overall price of the hobby. Wizards has spent too long cultivating chase rares that drive sales and allow them to price their products higher. People put up with the price not just as an entertainment expense but because it's also an "investment" which creates a perverse relationship between "good" and "bad" sets not just coming down to "were they fun or not" but "did they hold their value or not" which is a big shame imo cause weaker sets tend to be more fun. What this also means is wizards can and likely will end up mostly destroying the game by crashing the market at some point. Though to be fair, that might be a good thing in the long run.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Vampire Panties posted:

My deepest and darkest secret is that I loving love Magic The Gathering but I cannot stand other people who play.

That's a bit overreaching. The key is to find a decent play group or local game store with a decent crowd. The place I go to every weekend has a good variety of players, and I've learned which people to avoid and which I'm going to enjoy playing with.

quote:

this duder? :haibrower: this would be rad as hell to have

Would it be cool to have? Yes!
Am I paying $250 per pack for literal proxies? gently caress no!

And I was actually referring to this:
https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/772071/30th-anniversary-countdown-kit

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What happened to wholesome collectable cards of our grandfathers' times when all you had to do was buy cigarettes for it?!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Colonel Cancer posted:

What happened to wholesome collectable cards of our grandfathers' times when all you had to do was buy cigarettes for it?!

Behind the bastards was just talking about this. Duke started the collectible trading card.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When I was able to learn about tactical factioning, I became unaware of strategical information.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bring back the stick of stale gum inside the pack that you could chip a tooth on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaFN_AqVvmM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Infidel Castro posted:

That's a bit overreaching. The key is to find a decent play group or local game store with a decent crowd. The place I go to every weekend has a good variety of players, and I've learned which people to avoid and which I'm going to enjoy playing with.

Would it be cool to have? Yes!
Am I paying $250 per pack for literal proxies? gently caress no!

And I was actually referring to this:
https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/772071/30th-anniversary-countdown-kit

Yeah thats fair. I've had some bad experiences with people I've met playing Magic The Gathering, and I've walked into a couple Friday Night Magics but was put off by the whole thing, but for what its worth I'm not super comfortable in most game shops anyway :shrug:

However we're in agreement that the game itself is cool, although not worth a grand for those literal proxies.

ArbitraryC posted:

Silly though it may sound, effectively yes. A big part of what drives magic sales is speculation. A new set comes out and people are buying a bunch of products to either a: open in hopes of cracking valuable cards or b: sit on in hopes of selling later. When a set has seen some play and prices start to stabilize if it turns out the set was a stinker everyone (including stores you buy the cards from) loses their rear end on the unopened product because it's worth less than what they bought it for. It'd be one thing if this only hurt random people who "invest" a bunch in a random new product in hopes of selling years down the line, but when it hurts the brick and mortar stores that were just trying to stock enough to sell the next set to their local customers it obviously creates a problem.

I think more an issue than novelty collector sets is the overall price of the hobby. Wizards has spent too long cultivating chase rares that drive sales and allow them to price their products higher. People put up with the price not just as an entertainment expense but because it's also an "investment" which creates a perverse relationship between "good" and "bad" sets not just coming down to "were they fun or not" but "did they hold their value or not" which is a big shame imo cause weaker sets tend to be more fun. What this also means is wizards can and likely will end up mostly destroying the game by crashing the market at some point. Though to be fair, that might be a good thing in the long run.

:haibrower: one of the challenges for me is that I started playing with Revised, a million years ago. All of the cards that I think of as staples are $$$$$$$$$$$$ ultra powerful banned/restricted/one per card shop type of thing. The flip side of that is that the game still fundamentally :airquote: works :airquote: even though there's a kerjillion cards/issues/sets now.

I've sorta/kinda been waiting for a :airquote: market crash :airquote: I read in the TG thread that there's these things called matrixes or something? I'd love to do a draft league with my friends of the cards I consider to be 'good' - without spending several thousand dollars.