Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

kntfkr posted:

Behind the bastards was just talking about this. Duke started the collectible trading card.

Yeah I listen to that garbage too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I won't play with randoms but getting a group of eight friends together to draft a new set is a hell of a lot of fun and reasonably inexpensive with the cost split.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I loved MTG but when I got older and they started just pumping out new sets that were really the same as older ones in order to you to pay even more for what was already an expensive hobby I stopped.

I also started around revised or 3rd edition and played heavily through 5th edition before giving up.

I tried to play online a few years ago but making me pay full price for random packs of virtual cards with no resale value really soured me to the company and I didn't last long even though it was still fun.

Now that there's a huge internet community the flavor of the month deck is also really frustrating... People don't spend time designing their own decks they just download the one that has been winning a lot recently. You play the same deck over and over again.

Coming up with a good deck through trial and error was what I enjoyed the most.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The old really racist cards

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

One of my favorite things to do is go back over pop media from the early 90's, figure out what was casually racist/misogynist and decide if it's still okay to like the thing.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I won't play with randoms but getting a group of eight friends together to draft a new set is a hell of a lot of fun and reasonably inexpensive with the cost split.

Wendigee posted:

I loved MTG but when I got older and they started just pumping out new sets that were really the same as older ones in order to you to pay even more for what was already an expensive hobby I stopped.

I also started around revised or 3rd edition and played heavily through 5th edition before giving up.

I tried to play online a few years ago but making me pay full price for random packs of virtual cards with no resale value really soured me to the company and I didn't last long even though it was still fun.

Now that there's a huge internet community the flavor of the month deck is also really frustrating... People don't spend time designing their own decks they just download the one that has been winning a lot recently. You play the same deck over and over again.

:haibrower:

Its interesting because there's two fundamental sorts of games - the draft, much like a fantasy football draft where you're working with the best cards available, and the old-school "i have thousands and thousands of cards and I built this deck after pawing through it for two weeks".

both are equally valid, although I personally prefer the 2nd... which has been basically utterly impossible for the last fifteen years because my friends slowly gave away their absurd MTG collections :smith:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dW0xuIomH4

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Wendigee posted:

Honestly this is true of pretty much every game not just MTG. Online communities quickly end up solving the fun right out of the game just by how fast information spreads about what is and isn't optimal play.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

kntfkr posted:

these aren't as cool as the nick cage cards my cousin did

Can you ask them for a lower res pic?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i haven't been able to play MtG in forever. it was fun when i was young but since then i've played other ccgs that have far better mechanics and it makes playing MtG feel like i'm steering a huge, old boat.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

kampfer, nice pick.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Colonel Cancer posted:

The old really racist cards

Do tell.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Timothee Chalamet made custom Xbox controllers and Robert Pattinson was a huge original FF7 fan on PSX. Two of the biggest millenial rising stars sit on opposite sides the console war.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sigher posted:

Do tell.

https://scryfall.com/card/leg/62/invoke-prejudice

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

sigher posted:

Do tell.

Idk all those arabian nights cards from the 90s probably?

That too lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The bone crank is the best version of Icy Manipulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

super sweet best pal posted:

The bone crank is the best version of Icy Manipulator.

This card is mean and I don't like it