Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Meanwhile, at the bar...

The television screens flicker in sync as Cass's drone pans over the burial mound to scour the landscape for the doctor. Business is a tad slow, and Alfrid refills the occasional glass while keeping an eye on the drone footage.

He seems a bit nervous, but if any of his customers notice, they keep their commentary to themselves. As soon as Gun appears on the screen, however, his attention snaps to her. He's pouring a beer for a new arrival, and it foams over the top while he's distracted.

Stammering out a hasty apology, Alfrid darts into the kitchen at the back to talk to the cook.

Meanwhile, at the bed-and-breakfast...

Ingólfur stands patiently in the doorway as Gabriel pulls Cass gently into the dreamworld. "Good luck, you two," he murmurs softly. He then steps closer to watch the drone footage, slipping on his glasses to better observe.

The sound of ninety-nine ravens beating their wings briefly fills the basement, although none can be seen. Ingólfur doesn't seem concerned; perhaps he doesn't hear them at all. Instead, he focuses on Gun, furrowing his brow as she drops the small bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kayla

"Something's happening!" Kayla hisses into the phone, feeling a bit excited despite everything to see another actual mystical phenomenon in front of her. "It might not be Gun, it's raven feathers? I don't see the Valkyries, though. And it's not actual ravens like before, only the feathers flying around. Is anything happening over there?"

"...Cass?"

Getting worried, Kayla dares to speak louder into the phone.

"Gun is definitely doing something now. She's placing some objects. Is everything okay?"

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

At the dancehall

"LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE BECOME, GUNILLA. YOU FORCE OTHER BEINGS TO BE YOUR DANCE PARTNERS. IS THERE NO ONE WHO WANTS TO BE WITH YOU OF THEIR OWN VOLITION?"

At the mound

Amidst the swarm of feathers, a non-raven winged figure appears and attempts to clumsily slap away the objects that Gun had just placed.

Runecast if needed. Set is chef's choice.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Gabriel

He observes Gun's preparations with a mix of horror and fascination.

What is she doing? And can you do it too?

Gun posted:

"If you lose, you're not leaving this place. None of you will."

As Gun's ritual starts, Gab crosses his arms and tries to stand out in the middle of the chaos.

"Do with me as you wish" he remarks again. "But you shall not touch anyone else. They are not part of the deal. This is my only request. Swear on it, or duel is off" he repeats.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To M'Klitel:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1044632659936169995/1110955481029148742/PXL_20230524_152051927.TS.mp4
It is indeed a pass!

Background track

Where mortal eyes might see a burst of light,
Your radiance bathes the burial mound and trees.
And with the doctor clearly in their sight,
They watch with hopes she'll fall unto her knees.

The bones of yore, clasped loosely in her hands
Drop to the ground, or so she would intend—
But with your aid, only one shall land;
The other tumbles toward the clearing's end.

From fallen bone springs forth a monstrous fright,
A beast reminiscent of Óðinn's might.

The ground trembles slightly as you lunge forward, but you pay it no heed. One of the engraved vertebrae hurtles out of reach as you bat it out of Gun's hand. She scowls as it sinks into a snowdrift where it lies scarcely visible, but she begins her incantation nonetheless.

The other bone settles near where Gun stands and begins to glow in an eerie fashion, although perhaps it doesn't faze you. To an observer, it would seem that something mildly sinister is happening.

From the snowy ground sprouts a second vertebra, linked to the first, and then a third snakes out, followed by many more, until a spindly skeletal neck takes shape. The outline of large skull materializes atop the snaking neck as the rest of the body pieces itself together.

The skull is reptilian in shape, with an impressive set of teeth made for tearing flesh and crushing bone, and a lithe skeletal tail completes the fearsome length of the abomination. The extent of the serpentine skeleton is lined with ribs, and it is reminiscent of a giant snake.

From the depths of your memory, you know this to be a lindwurm skeleton, although your higher conscience wants to deny its preposterous existence. And how did Gun get a hold of those bones? Does she truly believe the skeleton will dance as her partner? A laughable notion, you might scoff.

The doctor stops her chanting to smirk, both in the physical scape and the dreamscape, and the undead lindwurm stretches as if merely waking from a long slumber.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Kayla:

As you await Cass's answer, a flicker of chartreuse light lends you a flash of hope, and although you only catch a glimpse, you know somewhere deep down that your dear friend would wish to help.

Just as you're about to ask Gertrud if she's seen it, too, something else begins to transpire, and your attention snaps to Gun.

You resist the urge to shriek as an unpleasant surprise of bones assembles itself atop the snow. It couldn't be... Could it? Is this why Gun chose the burial mound for the challenge? The skeletal serpent slithers casually over to the top of the mound, its movements surprisingly nimble for something composed entirely of bone. It widens its maw, but no sound leaves its mouth.

"...Hello, Kayla?" you hear the voice of Ingólfur on the phone. "It looks like your friends are both in the dream now," he informs you. "I don't know what they see, but they seem to be fine."

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 9, 2023

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Gab and Cass:

The most terrifying aspect of the dream world is how craftily it can be manipulated, and at the present moment, you have no knowledge of how to alter it yourselves. All you can do is watch as Gunilla resurrects a monstrous, hulking lindwurm as her accomplice. And in your eyes, it is a living, breathing beast adorned with a scaly hide the color of the deep forest undergrowth.

Flexing the leathery frill around its head, it unleashes an intimidating roar that shakes the earth below you, but you stand your ground, ready for a showdown with the despicable doctor.

"You have two partners, and I have one," she comments, "but mine is more than enough."

The lindwurm examines each of you, its eyes like glowing coals. Its gaze is devoid of emotion, and you feel slightly unsettled. A perceptive eye might notice that the mighty creature seems a tad on edge.

"I will stick to the rules, and so will my companion," she nods at the beast beside her. "You have our word."

Her eyes meeting each of yours in turn, the doctor gestures at Neck, who takes to his instrument immediately, ready to play.

If you scour the edge of the clearing, you might notice the two spectral figures shimmering in the shadows, at opposite ends from each other. Two tall, brawny folks clad in regal fur cloaks with the helms of war atop their heads. It would seem they're here to judge the match. They speak not a word, but regard the makeshift battleground in silence as they ready themselves for the start.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

As the skeletal lindwurm stretches, taking in its surroundings, holy anger engulfs the recorder. It is evident that this angelic being is more than ready to provide unlife with a thorough whooping.

Whack dem bones (Obsidian roll)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cass

A lindwurm, a loving lindwurm! How is a lindwurm supposed to dance? Just coil overitself or something? Gun really only had one thing in her bag of tricks and just deployed it without thinking. As long as I keep from being terrified by this monstrous thing, and keep Gab from being scared too, we've got this in the bag. I think the literal angel (sidebar: What the gently caress!?) can handle himself.

Cass strikes a pose out of "You Got Served".

"We've got this Gab."

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 11, 2023

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To M'Klitel:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1044632659936169995/1119242124379050064/PXL_20230616_122555167.TS.mp42.mp4
I'm sorry but this is a⚡CRIT FAIL⚡

Background track

Your gleaming chartreuse recorder gives the serpentine skeleton a resounding whack, but all it does is anger the lindwurm. As an angel, you fear nothing. But you may have given your still-living companions may have something to be afraid of.

To Cass:

"We've got this, Gab."

Your determination is unmatched, unhinting at any doubts that might fester in the back of your mind. Project confidence, and confidence will follow. After all, you know there's no way an actual lindwurm could ever outdance a pair of humans and an angel.

But Gun's illusion starts to falter, and the fully fleshed lindwurm begins to flicker like static from a television set. Something's up.

Every couple of seconds, you can see the outline of the lindwurm's bones — as if you're looking through an x-ray machine at it. It's strange indeed, but it doesn't deter you. At least, not visibly... Until the lindwurm becomes angry.

You don't know what's triggering it, but the impressive beast lets out an enraged roar and thrashes its tail. Again, you glimpse traces of skeleton and an expression on the doctor's face that you never wanted to see: panic.

Something is very, very wrong.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Meanwhile, at the bar...

Alfrid emerges from the back kitchen just as there's a gasp of astonishment from the customers seated near the screens. Wasting no time, he glances upward to see the most ridiculous thing he's seen all year — an enormous animated skeleton — coiling itself atop the burial mound.

He mutters something to himself, hollers at the chef in the kitchen, and slips away from the bar counter once more. This time, he grabs his coat and shoves his arms into the sleeves on his way out the door.

To Kayla:

You're staring dumbfoundedly at the manifested skeleton on the mound, and before you get the chance to comment on it, Gertrud turns the keys in the engine, shooting you an urgent look.

"I think we should leave," she hisses, fumbling frantically to check the mirror as she backs the car away.

In front of you, you see the lindwurm brace itself before letting out a mighty roar that shakes the forest. Flecks of snow float down from the treetops in the wake of the disturbance, and the skeleton sweeps its tail violently as if to swat away an invisible mosquito.

Kayla, you may choose whether to stay or leave. Attempting to stay will trigger a runecast.

To Gab:

The panic on Gun's face is clear as daylight, and if something in this dreamworld is out of her control, then there must be a reason for it. But you don't care about the reason, because the thing out of control is a tantrum-throwing lindwurm, and you don't really have experience dealing with finicky mythical creatures.

Instead, you can only watch in horror with Cass as the beast thrashes around angrily.

Gab and Cass, choose your runes wisely!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cass

Maybe it's the adrenaline, maybe it's the makeup and the ridiculous get-up she is in, maybe because it is in the dream state she thinks she can lucid dream her way through it. No matter the reasoning, Cass's fight reflex has triggered with barely a thought for flight. Cass unlimbers the dream axe from her back and charges at the ridiculous.

"Start lighting the bonfires, we've got to get it to roll through 3 of them."

BLOODSTONE FOR THE BLOOD GODS

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kayla

WindwardAway posted:

"...Hello, Kayla?" you hear the voice of Ingólfur on the phone. "It looks like your friends are both in the dream now," he informs you. "I don't know what they see, but they seem to be fine."

Kayla's very relieved to hear Ingólfur is still on the line. She fills him in on the undead skeleton she sees in the waking world.

"So much for Gun being more vulnerable while she's dreaming." The thought of that thing being a dance partner doesn't even cross Kayla's mind as a possibility. She assumes it's an overkill guard dog. And then the "tantrum" starts.

WindwardAway posted:

You're staring dumbfoundedly at the manifested skeleton on the mound, and before you get the chance to comment on it, Gertrud turns the keys in the engine, shooting you an urgent look.

"I think we should leave," she hisses, fumlbling frantically to check the mirror as she backs the car away.

That's definitely the smart thing to do, but...

Kayla opens her door before Gertrud shifts back out of reverse.

"Good idea, but don't just go back to town! They're already watching this..." And if this thing is going on a total rampage, maybe the town isn't safe either. "...go to Sjostad! Tell them there's- some kind of emergency anyway!"

Kayla slams the door and runs out of the way of the road, looking for a place she can still view what's going on while staying mostly out of sight.

She doesn't think this time that she can actually do anything by standing up to the monster. If Gab and Cass can't defeat Gun in the dream world, they're probably all screwed anyway. But if they can... maybe there will be an opening? Someone still needs to be here.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Gabriel

Cass posted:

"We've got this, Gab."

The phrase still bounces on his head, warm and happy and reasuring, when things start to go bad. Things start to go very, very bad. He drops to the ground, looking for cover, but there is none to be seen. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees the world start to crumble away.

Frozen in place from sheer terror, he looks at the raging lindwurm. Like in a stop-motion movie, he watches Cass get ready and charge at it, grinning from side to side.

No! Don't!!

He tries to scream. Nothing comes out.

Can't move. Can't run. Can't hide. Can't do anything but brace for the punch, and hope it goes away fast, hope it doesn't hurt too much, hope this time it'll...

Cass posted:

"Start lighting the bonfires, we've got to get it to roll through 3 of them."

Bonfires?

Cass' voice, so out of place right here, right now, seems to break Gab a bit out of his panic. He scrambles back up to his feet.

Break the connection!
I can't. Not now. What if she doesn't come back?

A stray thought hits him and he sneaks a glance at the bright green godly figure, standing there, passive as any other spectator. Watching them struggle and fall with the slightest interest, like anyone would watch a bunch of ants running from a flood. He feels rage boiling inside him, the echo of old deep wounds he thought were closed a long time ago.

And that's why you can't trust godly beings.

He closes his fists, concentrates, and tries to channel that rage, to tap onto it.

Bonfires.

They don't give a gently caress about you.

"Bál."

---

Onyx roll.
Also apologies for lateness!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 17, 2023

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Cass and Gab:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1044632659936169995/1120811592628584580/PXL_20230620_150038352.TS.mp4
A pass for Cass...
...and a crit fail for Gab 😬

Background track

To Cass:

To you, it all comes naturally: you've gotta be fast on your feet when you often land in unforeseen circumstances. And in this case, your quick thinking comes in handy.

You call for Gab to light the bonfires, ready to fight if you have to, but fortunately it's not needed. The lindwurm thrashes around senselessly, but you press forward with your axe and swing it boldly at the creature.

It shrieks in pain as the blade slices into its skin, rending its flickering flesh and cutting at its bones. Writhing away, it strikes at a less combative target: Gabriel.

To Gab:

With Cass's voice as an anchor, you're able to push through the paralyzing terror. You're thrilled to see her drive the axe into the beast successfully, and you let out a shout of encouragement. In your pocket, you feel Jolteon shifting around, sensing the commotion. With a surge of confidence, you utter the increasingly familiar word: "Bál."

You're interrupted by a sweep from the lindwurm's tail just as a flame sparks from your finger and leaps onto the snowy ground. Your accuracy was thrown off, and what's worse is that the snow doesn't seem to hinder the magic flame. The fire spreads rapidly, and it becomes apparent that it's beyond your control. You mutter various words in an effort to stop it, your voice increasing in volume each time, but it races toward you and Cass, and the sparks frolic at your feet.

"What have you done?!" Gun's shrill voice resounds beyond the roar of the fire. You feel Jolteon tremble in your pocket as you yelp for Cass to get away from the flames. The heat singes your skin as the famished fire lunges, gnashing its burning teeth at you. Jolteon scrambles around to poke her head out, trying her best to shield you, but the fire encircles you until you can't tell which way is which. You can't see Cass, you can't see Gun, and you can't even see the lindwurm over the fiery walls as they close in on you, and Jolteon strains to push them away as you shout.

To Kayla:

You hear Ingólfur's voice on the phone as you grab it and jump out. "Is something happening there? I hear loud noises. Are you all right?"

As you try to explain, you watch as Gertrud pulls the car out of the woods and hits the road as fast as she can. You can only hope she's fleeing to safety. You switch your phone audio off of speakerphone and whisper quietly to the pharmacist to fill him in.

For a split second, the enormous skeleton stops squirming on the mound. But immediately after, it unleashes a bloodcurdling noise and some of its ribs clatter to the ground. Something must be happening.

"Cass is mumbling something about bonfires now," Ingólfur informs you. "I don't quite understand it."

Bonfires...? But before you can pursue that thought, Ingólfur interrupts again. "Something's wrong," he tells you, his tone urgent. "I don't know what is happening."

You observe the lindwurm zigzagging through the snow as if to avoid something approaching, and even Gun's position seems to falter.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gabriel

Can't see.
Can't breathe.
Can't...

He tries to cover his mouth with his jacket, without much success. The smoke gets in his lungs, and he starts coughing.

Where is Cass? Is she alright?

All around him, visible sparks fly in a clearly desperate attempt to stop the fire from engulfing him.

Jolteon?

He falls to the ground in a ball and tries to shield the turtle inside his body. The intense light around him gets through his closed eyelids, blinding him anyway.

It burns!

All hope lost, Gab curls up in silence and waits for death.

---

The world suddenly turns dark and cold. And, for some reason, also wet.

Am I dead? What is this?

Eyes still closed, he feels a familiar presence crawl over his hand. Then a voice. It's not an unknown voice.

"Gabriel? Calm down, kid, it's ok. It's ok"

Gab feels a strong hand pulling him up, and opens his eyes to stare at a very concerned Ingólfur's face. He is sitting on a puddle of water, which after some panicked inspection turns out to be Jolteon's basin, turned sideways by his weight. Over his left hand, the turtle is staring at him, and, as much as a turtle can express anything, he'd think she looks concerned.

Gab gets up, helped by the pharmacist, and rushes towards Cass' side. She is still sitting in trance, not giving any signs of distress. He tries to hold her hand, but she does not react.

"Is she ok?" Gab asks, panickingly. Ingólfur shrugs.

"I hope so. She hasn't moved. You were like that too, but then you started convulsing, like you were having a seizure" the pharmacist notes. "I couldn't get to you before you tripped over the basin"

Ingólfur looks at him concerned, but all Gab can say is locked up by a giant ball on his throat.

"I'm a moron. I screwed it all up" is all he can mutter, before he starts sobbing uncontrollably.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 25, 2023

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kayla

"Something's wrong? Aren't they hurting the lindwurm...?"

Bonfires would be good to fight it, wouldn't they? It seems like it's scared.

Kayla tries to figure things out herself this time, instead of just wishing God would tell her all the answers.

Over here it looks like Gun's side is losing, though?Maybe both sides are losing?

She dares to creep closer to the mound, praying that Gun will understand that she only wants to help. Just like Samuel with the werewolf, but she can't be bothered with worrying about whether it will turn out the same.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cass

Crap, crap crap! It's heading for Gab! She starts to shout to warn him.

"Gab, wa-"

And then fire seems to blanket the landscape. A world of frost and ice is now covered by a raging inferno. She scans but can only see smoke and fire. Gab isn't anywhere to be found! Time for a snap decision, this is just like any other extreme sport she's done before, it's basically kayaking down a waterfall...

This is nothing like that. There was some danger there but she always felt in control. She needed to feel in control. This is chaos. The heat of the flame licks her face, sweat streaming down her face.

Ok, think Cass, think, no time to take a breath, does she even need to breath in the dream? That isn't a question worth pondering now, the Lindwurm is still driving towards where Gab is, was at least. She can't tell. In lieu of a good plan, she'll stick to the old one. Cass leaps astride of the beast, grips tightly with her both legs, and slams the axe down in between what looks like it could be two ribs. Grabbing the handle of the axe with both hands, squeezing as hard as she can with her thighs, she pulls the axe towards her center of mass, trying to force the extra crispy behemoth into a turn. She's gonna ride this thing through the fires, it shouldn't matter if it's only one bonfire as long as it's at least 3 times as big, right? That isn't in the forefront of her mind though, the important thing is to have it not kill Gab. That's worth a little sunburn, she has aloe in her pack.

A slight frown crosses her face when she remembers that she doesn't have a pack anymore. Even now, reassured by the weight of it on her back, but this one is just dreamstuff. The frown is quickly replaced by the strain of determination.

Don't let it hit Gab, he'll get the fires under control. Focus on your job, he's got his.

Assuming this dumbassery is going to require a roll I'd like CARNELIAN.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

A large, beautiful feather slowly falls on the displaced soil near the mound. Attached to the feather; a folded note.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Cass:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1044632659936169995/1126815820840976486/PXL_20230707_100049837.TS.mp4
Soft fail.

Background track

As you hop deftly atop the writhing creature, you swing your axe squarely into its side—or at least, you try.

Just as your axe makes contact with its scaly flesh, the lindwurm bucks unpredictably, and the momentum from the swing propels you—comically, if you weren't fighting for your life—straight off its back and onto the frigid snow that is still mysteriously on fire.

No, no, this isn't how things were supposed to go! You rack your brains for a quick solution, and duck just as the lindwurm swipes its tail over your head in utter confusion. It's making quite the racket, as mythical beasts tend to do when upset.

The Neck has already vanished, and the specters of Veraldr and Inga flicker like a bulb about to die. You remind yourself, with slight relief, that all of this is only an illusion. And yet, you can't help but wonder how much of it is taking place in real life, centered around the burial mound. How much longer will this dream last?

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 22, 2023

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Kayla:

You can't tell if Gun has spotted you yet, but the reanimated lindwurm skeleton fortunately has not. Tiptoeing nearer, you spot a gorgeous feather that lands on the ground between you and the doctor. You hesitate as the skeleton thrashes about once more, but it faces away from the treeline, slicing its tail through the air like a knife.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Gab:

"Hey, hey, it's gonna be all right," Ingólfur reassures you, patting you on the back comfortingly.

He's taken his eye off the drone footage, instead focusing on calming you down. "Nobody's hurt. I'm sure she'll come back, too," he says, nodding toward Cass, who's still in a trance.

"Let's hope they're making progress at the mound," he adds, a tinge of concern sliding into his voice, but he makes eye contact with the tiny turtle and smiles at her. "I have faith in them."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gabriel

"Thank you. Sorry. I'm sorry"

He's still shaken out, but the friendly words of the pharmacist do help more than it seemed at first. Gab takes a couple of deep breaths and wipes his tears off with his sleeve.

No time to be all sorry about yourself, bud. There are people in danger here.

He notices the comms set-up Ingólfur is pointing at, and an idea suddenly strikes his head.

"Can I?" The man nods. Gab approaches the phone and tries to speak clearly, despite his heart feeling like it's going to beat itself out of his chest.

"Kayla? Can you hear? This is Gab. Things went wrong" he chokes for a bit, but soldiers on. "Cass is fighting, and she is winning, I think, but listen, that thing over there, please, take care"

He stops. Hold it on, you're going too fast!

"Bonfires." Gab tries to communicate, after a moment of pause. "Three bonfires. Don't need to be too big. Samuel was right. It fears fire"

Another pause.

"I'm coming"

What?

Gab takes another look at the peacefully sitting Cass, and gives her a warm kiss in the cheek before turning back to Ingólfur, who is looking at him a bit confusedly.

"Take care of her. Please. Please!"

Gab doesn't wait for an answer. Moving quickly, he pockets Jolteon, zips the pocket securely, and runs upstairs, heading for the outside.

There was a bike in the parking lot earlier, wasn't it?

He nervously scouts the whole area. Yep, there it is. It's an old mountain bike, it doesn't look so well maintained, probably someone over here uses it to run errands. Gab briefly wonders where to get tools to break the lock, but it seems like no one even bothered to lock it down. Probably not many takers for an old rundown bike out in the woods, even if everyone here didn't knew each other anyway, right?

With a ping of guilt It's an emergency, you are giving it back again!, he gets up onto the bike and zips over the road to the mound, as fast as he can.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 13, 2023

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cass

Was coming in here a mistake? Cass scans the area for Gab. Where is he? Did he get out? Still the big wyrm, but it isn't paying her any mind, it's just rampaging.

Gun is gone, Gab is gone, Veraldr and Inga are leaving... I'm going to be alone again.

How do I get out? Do I still need to be in here? What can I do from in here? What can I do out there?

Destructive thoughts ricochet through Cass's brain, paralyzed with indecision. She's tried flight, she's tried fight, now she is the embodiment of freeze.

The good news is that Cass is analyzing her own thoughts while having them, she knows they are destructive thoughts and not helpful, her shrink taught her how to recognize them, still working on controlling them though.

Back to the mantra. A quick breath, followed by a deeper more controlled one.

"I am in control, I am in charge, I am loved."

"I am here, I am the only one here, this is a reflection of the mound, I'm sure there's something only I can do here. What is it?"

Cass racks her brain on how to help.
She was supposed to be the muscle to help Gab bind Gun on this side or whatever, but now they are both gone. The mound! That's why Gun went there specifically, it is a site of power. If she is drawing power from it, maybe if I draw power from it too, on this side, maybe it will interrupt her from doing the same. I mean, maybe not, but the other option is to squeeze her eyes close and click her heels saying "There's no place like home" and her ruby slippers were left in her backpack.

At that moment her thick leather and fur boots that she imagined for herself what couldn't have been 5 minutes prior flicker and turn into sequined red heels.

"Pretty, but not helpful at the moment." Cass remarks to herself.

They flicker back to a pair of hiking boots and Cass starts to head closer to the mound.

"What power do I have here? I have power here, I used power to get here with the ring, I used power to summon and call Veraldr and Inga, but the costume change was magic of her own. I did that. It wasn't Gab with his rune words, or magic tokens given to me, it was me. I can visualize what's important to me and grab it. It's what I do in the real world, it just isn't so solid there. Here, when I ask the universe for something, no, that's not quite, when I demand to see the universe's manager, it is realized.

"So Cass, you have a course of action now, what are you going to demand to siphon this power source? It's basically just a Patreon wishlist."

Cass grins and starts to try and materialize a fleet of Drones.

Aventurine please, green runes for greed.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Cass:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1044632659936169995/1140659794663981226/PXL_20230814_145342109.TS.mp4
That's a soft fail, oof.

Background track

In your mind's eye, you envision a drone army fit to take down a lindwurm. It can't be that hard, right? After all, you materialized an axe, and even a pair of ruby slippers. But in the dreamworld, the drones don't appear, and you begin to think up alternatives at the same time you wonder what went wrong. What's different about your thought process? Hasn't it been fairly intuitive? Maybe you're overthinking it, you tell yourself. Oh well, the monster is still flailing about, and it's still not paying you any heed—yet.

Over the roar of the flames and the beast, you hear Gun's voice muttering what you can only assume is a spell. You track the sound of her voice to spot her standing close to the treeline, well out of the range of the raging danger noodle, and realize that she, too, is trying to stop the lindwurm now. A flash of an idea forms in your head as you wonder if magic can be depleted. That's how it works in some movies, right? A powerful spell might exhaust the caster. You observe her carefully, pondering your options.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Gab:

The winter roads are a bit rough to navigate on a bike, but fortunately some of the snow has been plowed by now. In fact, you're in too much of a hurry to even care, as long as you can get to the mound in time.

As soon as you're outside the town, the trees sigh as if they know you, as if they know where you're going. But right now, you don't feel discouraged — you feel determined. You're so focused on reaching your destination that you scarcely notice the car approaching from behind you until it pulls up beside you and the driver slows down to roll down the window. It's Alfrid.

"Hey! Going to the mound?" he hollers at you. "We don't have much time. Hop in!"

As you gratefully take him up on the offer, leaving the bike by the roadside, the bartender continues to talk. "I saw the drone footage and left as fast as I could. What happened, why are you here now?"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gabriel

As soon as he sits on the car seat, the world around him starts becoming blurry. He grasps to breathe an air that has somehow turned really, really heavy.

Might have overexerted yourself there, an improperly calm voice in the back of his head pipes up. He barely feels the car moving fast, and the bartender's questions seem to come from very, very far away, almost inaudible behind the heavy dizzing on his ears.

Why are you here now?

The question finally hits his mind, knocking him in the mouth of the stomach like a sledgehammer.

It's my fault. I thought I could do it. I...
It's all my fault. Cass, please, forgive me.

"Please, stop the car" is all he manages to say, his own words also feeling like they come from very far away.

They turn out to be the right words. A very unpleasant sensation overcomes him, and he covers his mouth with his hand as the car stops to a quick halt on the side of the road.

Gab rushes out, bumbling towards the edge of the treeline, bends over, and throws up.

---

Somehow, the world is spinning less now, Gab realizes, still bent down against a tree. He gags a bit, but it's all over now.

It's not your fault.

He grasps for air, and notices breathing is coming up easier now.

But it is. It was me who wanted to duel Gun. I made Cass worried. I failed. And now she is trapped, and...

He gets up, wiping his mouth with his sleeve.

It is not. Gun tried to kill you, she tried to kill you all. She set up the ritual that killed Chloe. She called out the werewolf who killed Samuel. You just wanted to stop her. You did not start this!
And Cass wanted to help. She is an adult and she made her own decision. She is helping. And she is fighting. Just like Kayla, just like Samuel, just like you!

Gab takes a deep breath of the icy afternoon air, letting the thoughts wander on his mind. The world is back. He returns to the car and sits down.

"Sorry for that. Let's go" he says, tying down his seatbelt. As the car starts moving again, he remembers the earlier question.

"A lot of things happened" he starts. Slowly, he recounts the tale of the dream, of Jolteon, of the blood and the bones and Cass and the angel and the old gods and the fire. He is still talking as the mound comes into focus, first as a small dot, then in all its old glory.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 16, 2023

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Gab:

The bartender is patient as ever, handing you a pack of tissues to clean up as you lurch back into your seat. Listening quietly as you explain what's been going on in the dream world, he purses his lips in a thin line. His eyes are on the road, but his thoughts are focused on the matter at hand.

"I have an idea, but what do you intend to do?" Alfrid asks finally, the mound rising into view.

He pulls off to the side of the road and flicks the car headlights off, but leaves the motor on as you both sit in the warmth. "Whatever we choose to do, I think it's time we end this."

Over the thrum of the engine, you hear—no, you feel—a rumble erupt from what must be the lindwurm. You're close enough to glimpse its skeletal form snaking around atop the burial mound, and in a way, you feel almost as if it's naked, exposed. Without its scale-covered hide, it feels less threatening, less real.

Alfrid turns to you again. "Those bones are likely held together by magic," he clarifies, "but can still be destroyed by physical means. I'm going to try to break it with rocks. Whatever your plan is, stay back so you don't get hurt. I want to distract Gun so that she loses her focus."

With that, he unfastens his seatbelt and turns the keys, and the engine purrs to a stop.

To Kayla:

You're staring, transfixed in disbelief, or perhaps paralyzed in thought, at the lindwurm slithers around. Gun remains where she is, eyes closed and brow furrowed as she tries to manipulate the unruly beast. She mumbles what you assume to be an enchantment under her breath, but Something catches your attention along the roadside: are those headlights? But you told Gertrud to flee to Sjöstad, didn't you? And this is coming from the wrong direction.

The car lights go out before you can spot the approaching vehicle. It must have parked nearby; perhaps it's someone from Skogen. You watch carefully for any signs of movement.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Cass:

There's a fire, a völva, and a very cranky lindwurm thrashing about. Everything has gone to poo poo, Gabriel is nowhere to be seen, and your valiant attempt to summon an army of drones has failed tragically. You're at your wits' end, but you're a quick thinker in tight situations. You weave a bit farther through the labyrinth of flames as the smoke chokes the air out of your lungs. You drop to the ground, remembering fire safety rules, feeling the frigid snow against your body. Is this really a dream, or has it begun to leak into reality? You don't have the chance to ponder much on the matter before a sickening realization catches you off-guard: Gun has left, and you're still trapped in her dreamworld.

You have the option to runecast. You may attempt leave this dreamworld once and for all, or attempt to destroy it but risk your own life in doing so.

To Gab:

You creep toward the mound behind the cover of the trees, watching in mild admiration as Alfrid scoots past you, gathering whatever stones he can find strewn across the forest floor. His footfalls are surprisingly quiet, despite the gentle crunch of the snow beneath his boots. Depositing the rocks into a makeshift ammunition pile just outside of the clearing, the bartender tracks the towering skeleton's every move before raising an arm to throw a stone.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5891a1a7119aa6&
Crit pass, that's a first for an NPC!
Background music

The stone flies swiftly through the air, smacking the lindwurm soundly on its spine. It lets out an anguished screech as it collapses, a wriggling mass of disorganized bones. With a final groan, the lindwurm stops squirming, a deathly quiet taking over—as skeletons should be. However, you're so focused on the spectacle that you've failed to notice the imminent danger.

"Good to see you, my dear Alfrid," Gun croons from behind.

To Kayla:

As the helpless skeleton clatters to the ground, you notice Gun pulling a vanishing act right in front of you. There's no telling what she's up to, but that parked car likely has something to do with it. "Hey," you shout at her without thinking, "wait!"

A startled shout on the other side of the clearing calls your attention—it must be whoever got out of the car. Could it be your friends? What are they even doing here?! Something must have gone wrong in the dreamworld, or this wouldn't be happening. You move as quickly as you can toward the voices, fighting the rising panic in your gut.

You spot Gab at the periphery of the woods, and you gravitate instinctively toward him as he stares straight at an encounter between the doctor and the bartender.

To Gab and Kayla:

"So you did show up, after all," Gun smiles, strolling around Alfrid like a shark circling around its prey. "It's about time. You know, I was starting to believe you'd forsaken me for those tourists."

There's spite on her tongue as she utters the last word, as if she can't wait to be rid of you. Well, you already knew as much.

She continues to pace around her fellow Skogenite, and you furrow your brows as you listen in. Although she isn't addressing you directly, you feel that she means for you to hear her words—and then it hits you: Alfrid isn't your ally.

"Of course not," the bartender assures Gun, but his voice is shaky. "I would never."

His back is turned to you, so you can't see his face, but you glimpse Gunilla's satisfied smirk as she passes by once more. "Good. You remember what happened to Kalle, hmm? Wouldn't want to end up like him." She emits a dry laugh—the sort of dark, calculated chuckle you hear in movies when the villain has something much worse in store for their hostage.

Alfrid clears his throat and speaks again, erasing any trace of nervousness in his voice. "I brought it," he informs her. "It's in the back of the car."

The doctor stops her pacing, her foot making a final crunch in the snow as she pauses to regard Alfrid. "Good," she murmurs, raising her hand to cradle his face. "In that case, you've served your purpose. Thank you, friend."

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...4d9b9821af7e0b&
Pass.
Background track

With a strangled protest, the bartender slumps to the ground, staining the frosty ground with fresh blood. You feel the urge to scream, to run, to do anything you can to stop her, but you can't. You assume she must have frozen you in place, somehow, but you haven't seen her cast a spell. Her magic is terrifying; that's all you really know about it. And this has gone too far. Gun has gone too far. Nonchalantly, she slips the bloodied knife back into her coat pocket and casually drags Alfrid's body into the center of the mound, ignoring the lindwurm bones to the side.

You feel as if you're trapped in a nightmare, almost like you're in the dreamworld again. This can't be real, can it? You both hear Cass's voice screaming in your heads now, even though it shouldn't be possible. In a daze, you look on as Gun retrieves a small box from the trunk of Alfrid's car and brings it to the mound.

"You've showed me what you're capable of," she addresses Gab finally, "and I'm disappointed. Your magic is like wildfire, untamed and uncontrolled, but you will never be able to defeat me like that." She sneers as she opens the mysterious box. "Fighting you is not a challenge."

As Gun removes the contents of the box, you see that they're small bones, carved with runic symbols. Another set of runestones.

"I want you to witness my power," she tells you. "I want you to fear me, to recognize that the gods have chosen me! Of all the Skogenites, they have spoken to me!"

One by one, she sets the runestones face up in a circle around Alfrid's corpse. "Through dreams, through visions, through the gift of magic, they have spoken to me. I will reclaim this village and purge it of its heathens! This place belongs to the old gods, and their forest guardians, and I will restore it to its ancient glory!"

Dipping a finger in the warm blood at the bartender's throat, she dabbles it carefully across the surface of each runestone. For Gab, it reminds him vaguely of something he'd done earlier with his own set of runes. You recognize this as some sort of ritual, but you don't know what it's for... or what consequences it will have. Each bone illuminates with an ethereal glow as it's anointed with the blood, unexpectedly enough to light up the mound in near-entirety. Belatedly, you realize the sun has set. The spirits of the woods must be on the prowl, and the magic potential is likely at its peak.

There's just one tiny detail that Gun seems to have missed: Jolteon is free. The tiny turtle clambers discreetly out of Gab's pocket, faint sparks jumping from her shell. The doctor seems entirely unaware of your shield buddy, and despite the cold, Jolteon makes an impressive effort to scoot toward the ritual site as Gun finishes her preparations.

As the forest begins to churn out unfriendly sounds, you will Jolteon with all your might to save Skogen from Gunilla.

Gab and Kayla, both of you may cast runes for Jolteon! The runecast will resolve depending on the combination of results.

-----

I really apologize that this took me so long to type up. This will be the final set of runecasts in the RP, and if any dead players (Chloe and M'Klitel) wish to join in for the heck of it, their runecasts will be added to Jolteon's attempt to save the village. Don't worry, I promise no turtles will be harmed in the process!

If there are any spectators still itching for a runecast, I have someone else you can resolve if you'd like.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

WindwardAway posted:

To Cass:

There's a fire, a völva, and a very cranky lindwurm thrashing about. Everything has gone to poo poo, Gabriel is nowhere to be seen, and your valiant attempt to summon an army of drones has failed tragically. You're at your wits' end, but you're a quick thinker in tight situations. You weave a bit farther through the labyrinth of flames as the smoke chokes the air out of your lungs. You drop to the ground, remembering fire safety rules, feeling the frigid snow against your body. Is this really a dream, or has it begun to leak into reality? You don't have the chance to ponder much on the matter before a sickening realization catches you off-guard: Gun has left, and you're still trapped in her dreamworld.

You have the option to runecast. You may attempt leave this dreamworld once and for all, or attempt to destroy it but risk your own life in doing so.

Cass

This is me now, living in the dream. Waiting for a taxi, no matter how cute he may be, isn't my style. What is my style is taking the plunge without thinking too hard. Preparation is important, but so is taking the first step. The most important thing is what comes next. Does that first step head towards something or run away from it?

A pause, a thoughtful consideration. Cass's mind churns through the options.

"The best way out is always through."

Another pause, a single beat this time.

"No, the only way out is through."

Cass unlimbers the dream axe, and concentrates as much of her essence, her spirt, whatever it is, she's still new at this, into the head of the axe. Trying to imbue it with the power to make this work. She has time to make this work. Then she clears her head and tries to layer even more energy, this time borrowed power from her new patron Skadi, going against her own sermon at the lake this time, and offering a sacrifice. And not the new kind, the metaphorical sacrifice, no matter how solid the sacrifice of her pack was, the sacrifice of her own blood, in the old ways is what she goes for now. She grabs the head of the axe, thrumming with her own power and slices her palm deeply, coating both sides of the axe head in crimson. No runes, she doesn't know enough about them to draw the proper ones, and she doesn't have google in the dream to look it up. Just a wide swath of blood on both sides, primal in it's simplicity.
Gripping the axe with both hands, grimacing as her hand with the open wound squeezes tightly on the axe handle, she draws the axe back over her head and with a wild overhand swing tries to rend a hole in the fabric of the dream, to escape and destroy it at once.

The goal here is a little from column a and a little from column b. She wants to take down the dream and is willing to pour in as much of her lifeforce as is needed to do it. If she sputters out like a candle while doing it, so be it. I'd like her corpse to make it out even if she doesn't. There needs to be a grave for Gab to visit.

Bloodstone please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gabriel

Gun posted:

Your magic is like wildfire, untamed and uncontrolled, but you will never be able to defeat me like that

Somehow, this single phrase hurts more than everything else today. Flashes of the dreamworld fire come up to him.

Cass is still there!

He tries, and fails, to reenter the spirit world. It's no use. Whatever spell Gun casted on the both of them, it isn't just physically restraining. His thoughts feel like molasses, and his tongue refuses to obey. Even breathing has somehow become hard and painful. Thorugh the mist on his head, a primal thought sails through.

Can't do anything. Can't fight.

Instinctively, with a feeling this may very well be the last time, he closes his eyes, relaxes and braces for death.

This is what you wanted, right? This is why you came here looking for.

A small spark of fight still comes through.

"I don't... want... to..." he manages to mumble. Even thinking hurts now.

Suddenly, something else pops into existance. Death hallucination, maybe. Lack of oxygen to the brain will do that. He opens his eyes, or maybe he already had them open. Who knows.

Gab concentrates on the floating figure, wrangles together whatever little strength he has remaining on him, and pushes forward with all his might.

Bloodstone.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 13, 2024