Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Begun, the clone war had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Good relations with the Wookiees he has.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jesus christ, is there literally anything before vader throwing him down the shaft that didn't go according to plan for him

Good ol' Sheev is the king of "poo poo, that didn't work... But I can still play it this way" while keeping eyes on the prize.

Close hatch, open viewport etc. etc.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Revenge of the Sith novelization posted:

It was said that whenever the Force closes a hatch, it opens a viewport... and every viewport that had so much as cracked in this past thirteen standard years had found a Dark Lord of the Sith already at the rim, peering in , calculating how best to slip through.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MikeJF posted:

My thinking is that Yoda knew that Sidious would both manipulate the hell out of Luke and also be incredibly ridiculously force powerful (and yeah that he'd almost certainly do the former without even needing the latter), so during ESB he was of the belief the only way Luke would ever have a chance of survival in any way was both being extremely mentally fortified by Yoda's training and years of maturing and also knowing literally everything and every Jedi technique and defence that Yoda could teach him, and then having a plan between him and Ben we never really learn of. The more important one was the mental state and being able to resist the Emperor's manipulations, but ultimately he'd need the latter too and be fully trained as a Jedi. But their time was cut short by Luke loving off and Yoda's failing health.

Weeeell Yoda was about to die before he could teach him anything more anyway at that point, may as well give him a morale boost.

Yoda knew that if Luke confronted Vader he would learn that Vader was his father, it's that simple. He didn't know if Luke was capable of dealing with that revelation. That was the only reason he was worried about Luke facing Vader. Once Luke faced that and decided to die rather than join Vader, Yoda knew that Luke was ready. Yoda's plan was probably to tell Luke about Vader himself when he thought Luke was emotionally ready to handle it. Once Luke comes back, he doesn't have anything else to learn. He already showed he was as resistant to the Dark Side as anyone could be.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

In the what-if land of early script drafts, Luke without Vader as his father seems to become Jedi Knight material pretty quickly.

In Leigh Brackett's rough draft, the illusory confrontation with Vader on Dagobah features Vader trying to lure Luke to the dark side by promising the power to make Leia love him and end the war (presented in order of importance). But without the family connection, Luke stands by his oath to the Jedi and is knighted by Yoda (as well as the ghosts of Anakin and Obi-Wan) before he leaves to rescue Han & Leia with Yoda's approval.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sithos

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*Darth Sithos

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
GOOD...HA HA
HA... GOOD!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Imagine being a sicko for good.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Force Healing wasn't as fun as Force Destruction, though neither of them felt adequate for an end-game thing. I can't remember if you could use either in multiplayer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Schwarzwald posted:

GOOD...HA HA
HA... GOOD!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Schwarzwald posted:

GOOD...HA HA
HA... GOOD!

Today's No-Good Lazy Jedi: "b-but he's an unarmed prisoner! i shouldn't kill him!"

Sophisticated Lord of the Sith: "Kill him! Kill him now!"

Korner Kelly: "Brevity is the soul of Dewit."

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Imagine being a sicko for good.

Pretty much described the 'Light-side' paths for the Sith classes in SWTOR.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
which came first, light or dark?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

In the real world, the Dark Side came first - the Light Side was invented by the WEG tabletop RPG in the late 80's. Lucas always called it "the good side" because it was the objectively positive and benevolent part of the Force. Then later sources started to make them equal-but-opposite, and reframed it so things like a flood or a forest fire were "Dark Side" events because they caused destruction, despite there being no intent behind the events that would give them any sort of morality. Calling it the "Light Side" rather than the "Good Side" lessens the idea that one is inherently more "correct" than the other.

When Episode I came out, people thought that balancing the Force might mean the 2 Jedi / 2 Sith status quo that's in the OT, but Lucas always considered the Dark Side to be the imbalance. So in-universe, the "Light Side" would have come first since it's the natural, uncorrupted state of the Force.

Then you get to stuff like The Clone Wars, which seemed to imply in the Mortis episodes that the Force in its natural state doesn't really do anything (represented by the Father), but then is shaped by the good or evil actions of people (the Daughter and the Son). So in that case, the Light and Dark would have built up at the same time as living beings in the galaxy evolved and began to make moral choices.

I don't know if the Disney canon's come down one way or the other. The Last Jedi seemed to follow the equal-but-opposite nature interpretation of the Force from the TTRPG, and Trevorrow's Episode IX would have reintroduced Mortis, but there likely won't be anything super definitive unless the Ahsoka series delves into it or James Mangold's The First Jedi movie actually gets made.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I were George Lucas I would spend my time on Twitter posting increasingly out-there statements about the nature of The Force.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
The force is a horse of course, of course

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
Speaking of what is and is not a (white/light) horse, I think it's worth considering how pop-Buddhism has changed in American culture and how that relates to our relationship to the Force. Lucas basically has Suzuki as his window. Suzuki's approach engaged the West but it was very firmly rooted in China and Japan. That's really different from most contemporary American Buddhisms where they are proselyting and therefore syncretic religions. Part of that syncreticism involves stripping contemporary American Buddhism of the other two (three) jewels of Confucianism, Daoism and either Chinese folk religion (more on that in a second) or Shinto in the case of Zen-by-way-of-Japan. There are further Hegelian sunderings of modernity, where Daoism and Confucianism are split from folk religion -- plenty of Americans have a very Protestant approach to Daoism that begins with the Daodejing and ends with the Zhuangzi. Start talking about the Celestial Bureaucracy, Han synthesis (any loving opinion on it), or really anything that happened since the Axial Age and you get blank stares.

What I'm trying to say is that Lucas had a very differently encumbered view of Buddhism that he used to build the concept of the Force. He was also a huge Kirkegaardian via Campbell. This is important because here is a post by a nerd (Chris Panza, a professor of philosophy and sinology at a prestigious university) about the Confucian conception of the "Way" where you can basically replace "Way" or "Dao" with "Force" as understood through a Kirkegaardian lens:

quote:

Peony at her blog asks a very good question: just how similar would Confucius be to Kierkegaard? More pointedly – is Confucius just an ancient version of Judge William from Either/Or, imploring the reader to get off his or her butt and finally make a choice or a leap into the authentic life of being socially embedded within roles? I find this to be a fascinating question and I’d like to think a bit more about it here. I’ll do it by situating the question within the context of Herbert Fingarette’s writing. Fingarette, I believe, upon hearing this question would take his shoe off and slam the table with it like Khrushchev while repeatedly yelling “NO! NO! NO!” Let’s walk this through below the fold and see how it shakes out.

The Kierkegaardian Prelude

From the Kierkegaardian perspective, authentic life is all about making choices with commitment and firm resolve. In his classic work Either/Or Kierkegaard presents us with three ways in which life could generally play out, the “aesthetic,” the “ethical,” and the “religious.” Although I think the “religious” path as Kierkegaard understands it is interesting, let’s restrict ourselves to the first two.

Essentially, Kierkegaard’s attack on the “aesthetic” life is that it avoids choice. Aesthetics fail to commit. They just

“float along” through life, carried in one direction or another due to some strong attractant in some way related to pleasure. One might be carried away in the direction of beautiful women (Don Juan), or motivated and driven by money, or fame, or fortune, or perhaps driven by a kind of internal imaginative masturbation that yields pleasure through the imaginative manipulation of possibilities (Johannes the Seducer, and most philosophers). Although the “types” of aesthetics differ, they are held together by a failure to make fully embodied choices about how to live one’s life. Aesthetics are, in a sense, “slaves” to this or that, and fail to take charge or take the drivers’ seat in life.

Enter Judge William, who demands of the aesthete that he “choose!” The Judge shows the aesthete that there is actually a plan, or a structure to how society works; everyone has a role to play, and in that role one finds ones full actualization. However, one must choose to take one’s place within that society and fully commit to the embodied realization of that role. One must be one’s roles, and continually re-commit to these roles as one moves from situation to situation, leaving behind the flaccid slave-like existence of the aesthete.

Enter the Protagonist: Confucius

There are clearly some similarities between Confucius and Judge William. Mostly, there’s the notion of completing oneself through the fully embodied social life. For the Confucian, there’s the Henry Rosemont-inspired claim that “one is nothing but the sum of one’s roles that one stands in to particular others.” In the Analects, one gets the clear impression that one’s very identity is structured by the rituals that form the “map” of those social roles. To actually be a person, by these lights, requires that one perform ritual (li) in such a way that one embodies “the roles that one stands in towards particular others.” Similar to the way Judge William talks, it is if your identity “awaits you” (given that your roles are already set). There’s a big table set up for dinner, and everyone is eating, but there’s one empty chair. That’s your chair; if you sit in it, you “become who you really are” (to steal a phrase from Nietzsche). If you don’t, and the chair remains empty, you fail to become yourself, much as the aesthete fails.

Moreover, the contrast with the aesthetic form of life maintains some analogy with the Confucian picture as well. Confucius’ own contrast between junzi (exemplary persons) and xiao ren (the small and petty) is laid out in, at least prima facie, the same terms. The xiao ren are pictured as being led around like slaves, driven to this or that as a consequence of being too attached to pleasures. Xiao ren are, in Confucius’ terms, “driven by personal gain” and are too often attracted by “beautiful women” as opposed to pulled by the beauty of virtue. In addition, it is easy to get the impression that junzi are self-determining in some way, or at the very least “in control” whereas xiao ren are neither, and seem to be, like Kierkegaard’s aesthetes, slaves to the world. To use a distinction drawn by MacIntyre, perhaps we could say that the junzi is driven by “internal goods” (of virtue) whereas the xiao ren is driven by “external goods” – and where the language of “inner and outer” seems to imply something about the self such that being driven by what is external” to the self entails heteronomy. Once we start walking down this road, it is not surprising that Judge William places such a premium on the question of freedom, and how it is related to the integral notion of choice.

Fingarette’s Shoe

But perhaps it is here that the analogy ends. Once we move to issues of choice, perhaps it is here that Kierkegaard and Confucius part ways. After all, it is an integral component of Kierkegaard’s story that Judge William argues that the aesthete must choose to “enter into the ethical”. The aesthete must summon every ounce of determination and commitment and make that leap from one type of selfhood to another, fully responsible for the choice and what it entails.

Herbert Fingarette, in his Confucius, the Secular as Sacred (specifically in the chapter “A Way without Crossroads”) argues otherwise. Fingarette’s argument is very interesting, and can get somewhat complicated, but I think the main components of it can be laid out simply. It looks something like this (some of what follows is my interpretation of implied premises that Fingarette is using):

1. A crossroads requires two real paths (tao).

2. For a path to be real, the agent must be capable of maintaining (or perhaps more fittingly “exemplifying”) his selfhood in the process of its embodied actualization (through practice).

3. Maintaining or exemplifying one’s selfhood requires embodied performance of li (ritual).

4. Only one kind of performance in a situation can succeed in embodying li.

5. Thus, only one type of situational performance will maintain or exemplify the self.

6. Thus, there can never be more than one path (tao).

7. Thus, there are no “choices” in Confucianism.

Fingarette’s argument here is interesting, and leads to what Rosemont has called (at least in personal correspondence) “the way or the ditch”. Essentially, there are no two paths that are equally “real” in the sense that the traveler can justifiably suggest are both consistent with “the way” (or Tao). To engage in the right (yi) performance of ritual (li) is to exemplify the self; to do otherwise is to lose the self, to fall into a state of being an animal of sorts (xiao ren).

The difference here with Kierkegaard is sharp and powerful. For Kierkegaard’s Judge, it is clear that “the self” exists before the leap into the ethical; as a result, making the move from the aesthetic to the ethical involves a fundamental moment of real choice (between those alternative ways of living). It may be the case that one is more authentic than the other, but that doesn’t have an ontological implications – the self exists in both situations. Thus, for the Kierkegaardian Judge, although performance of li (ritual and roles) helps to authenticate the self, li does not constitute the ontological precondition of the self.

For Confucius, Fingarette would argue, things are quite different. There can be no “leaps” from one type of life to another, because there’s only one kind of life to start – the tao. You’re either on the path or you are not (in which case you are in Rosemont’s “ditch”). Moreover, if you’re off the path of the tao, no leap can get you back onto it – instead, you must be “shaped” by corrective forces (presumably here the suggestion is that the magic powers of ritual held by exemplars above you will move you back towards the path). The individual must add “effort” but this is different from the leap of Kierkegaard.

Lingering Questions

There are many questions that can be raised about all of this, and a pile of objections. Moreover, one question that interests me regards the extension of li; if it is the case that ritual performances can be altered or changed by the person to adapt to a specific circumstance (a la Roger Ames, perhaps), how will this be explained in the Fingarette fashion? Can it? Would such a way of talking about creativity require an Existential dimension of “choice”? My intuition here about the last question is that it does not necessarily involve choice. Even if Li can be adapted to meet the situation at hand, it still appears that there is a one path that best fits the local context – even if it turned out to be non-repeatable in other situations (and so unique to that context).In such a case, you still get what Fingarette argues for – the seeking out of the right path, not a “choice” between rival alternatives equally playing the role as potential extensions of “the Way”.

Here I’ll stop, because I have nothing remaining to say other than to pose more questions!

In that vein, the Force works where you, as a Jedi, are either on the Force or off the Force. You are either an instrument of the galactic consciousness or you aren't. This relates to Lucas's idea of balance. Balance isn't the same number of people on and off the path. Balance is everyone on the same, singular path. But what about fail states? Well, then we can look to another Confucian Kirkegaardian philosopher Tu Weiming. His whole thing is to contextualize the Great Learning through a Kirkegaardian lens creating selfhood as creative transformation. He takes Yangming's interpretation if the Great Learning where the self is essentially a series of concentric circles starting with what essentially is the Ego expanding to the entire universe in a kind of pan-psychism.

From this point of view, the Sith get stuck at a particular place along the continuum. Atomized Self (which is actually an epiphenomenon) -> family -> nation -> species -> world -> universe (actual reality). Palpatine reifies the self that doesn't exist. Vader fails to expand beyond family. Dooku fails to expand beyond nation. The Empire (pre-Zahn, which is why he sucks as an author and fundamentally doesn't get Star Wars) fails to expand beyond species.

There is one force and you are on it or off it. Do or do not, there is no try.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

rude to be reminded here, in the sci-fi wi-fi, that I never finished either/or

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
so it's neither, then

Nov 6, 2002

Ciao Wren posted:

Speaking of what is and is not a (white/light) horse, I think it's worth considering how pop-Buddhism has changed in American culture and how that relates to our relationship to the Force. Lucas basically has Suzuki as his window. Suzuki's approach engaged the West but it was very firmly rooted in China and Japan. That's really different from most contemporary American Buddhisms where they are proselyting and therefore syncretic religions. Part of that syncreticism involves stripping contemporary American Buddhism of the other two (three) jewels of Confucianism, Daoism and either Chinese folk religion (more on that in a second) or Shinto in the case of Zen-by-way-of-Japan. There are further Hegelian sunderings of modernity, where Daoism and Confucianism are split from folk religion -- plenty of Americans have a very Protestant approach to Daoism that begins with the Daodejing and ends with the Zhuangzi. Start talking about the Celestial Bureaucracy, Han synthesis (any loving opinion on it), or really anything that happened since the Axial Age and you get blank stares.

What I'm trying to say is that Lucas had a very differently encumbered view of Buddhism that he used to build the concept of the Force. He was also a huge Kirkegaardian via Campbell. This is important because here is a post by a nerd (Chris Panza, a professor of philosophy and sinology at a prestigious university) about the Confucian conception of the "Way" where you can basically replace "Way" or "Dao" with "Force" as understood through a Kirkegaardian lens:

In that vein, the Force works where you, as a Jedi, are either on the Force or off the Force. You are either an instrument of the galactic consciousness or you aren't. This relates to Lucas's idea of balance. Balance isn't the same number of people on and off the path. Balance is everyone on the same, singular path. But what about fail states? Well, then we can look to another Confucian Kirkegaardian philosopher Tu Weiming. His whole thing is to contextualize the Great Learning through a Kirkegaardian lens creating selfhood as creative transformation. He takes Yangming's interpretation if the Great Learning where the self is essentially a series of concentric circles starting with what essentially is the Ego expanding to the entire universe in a kind of pan-psychism.

From this point of view, the Sith get stuck at a particular place along the continuum. Atomized Self (which is actually an epiphenomenon) -> family -> nation -> species -> world -> universe (actual reality). Palpatine reifies the self that doesn't exist. Vader fails to expand beyond family. Dooku fails to expand beyond nation. The Empire (pre-Zahn, which is why he sucks as an author and fundamentally doesn't get Star Wars) fails to expand beyond species.

There is one force and you are on it or off it. Do or do not, there is no try.

I like it when the lightsabers go vrummmummmmm FVISH!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I like it when the lightsabers go vrummmummmmm FVISH!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So...

Anybody ever sit down and read the Wookieepedia article on penises?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No but i'm a lot more likely to read that then whatever the gently caress this other post was.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
To crib from Master Esai, "I know nothing of Jedi past, present or future but I know reading wookiepedia articles on penises is not of the Force."

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Chewbacca running around the Millennium Falcon with no trousers on. how often do you think Han got an eyeful?

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
Given how cramped the ship is, I have to imagine nudity would be extremely mundane. It's Tuesday and Chewie is cranking it in the copilot seat.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cerv posted:

Chewbacca running around the Millennium Falcon with no trousers on. how often do you think Han got an eyeful?

It's probably sheathed, like a dog dick. No I'm not looking it up.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chewie's nudity actually was a real concern that the studio executiveshad, and they asked if he could put some pants on.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

At least they eventually settled for the giant merkin

Nov 6, 2002

I could see Chewie in a pair of cutoffs. I think he could pull it off.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I could see Chewie in a pair of cutoffs. I think he could pull it off.

That's as good as I could get, I couldn't get the jeans any shorter.

Nov 6, 2002

That image is now canon.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

That's as good as I could get, I couldn't get the jeans any shorter.

lol :nice:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the last few years of the Old EU, there was a "Dawn of the Jedi" comic series detailing the origins of the Jedi order, and it really went hard on trying to establish grey jedi as the one true way of the force. The main distinguishing characteristic of the series was that it sucked.

The premise is that force sensitives were gathered from across the galaxy in enigmatic d8 spaceships and dumped out onto the planet Tython where the ways of the Jedi would be created. Tython was a planet unusually strong in the force, and also its two moons were Bogan and Ashlah, which were somehow connected to the light and dark side, and whenever somebody's somehow too dark or light, they get sent to one of the moons to learn to balance it out.

Of course, that's only the setup, and the main story of the series is about the threat of the Rakatan Infinite Empire as previously established in the KOTOR series, and it turns out that Tython was established as a refuge from the Rakatan by other ancient alien empires the Gree and Kwa. Also the Rakata rely on force-sensitive human slaves to find new worlds to conquer (like Rachel Summers in X-Men), but the slave that finds Tython ends up finding love and betraying his masters, all that junk. I think the order falls apart by the end because the evil moon guys were too evil?

And although technically the whole thing was thrown out with the old EU, in Rebels there's a grey force guy who makes reference to Ashlah and Bogan, which may imply something. A lot of things kinda got stealth-re-canonized in that way.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dawn of the Jedi was kind of a weird one. I get the late-stage EU wanting to flesh out that period of history, but handing it to Ostrander & Duursema seemed like an odd choice. When I think of "the origins of an order of philospher monks who only fight in self defense and eschew mortal pleasures in their quest for spiritual enlightenment", I don't exactly imagine a series created by people who only seem to enjoy writing about one Type of Guy:

But the Ashla and Bogan were just the names for the good and evil parts of the Force in Lucas' second draft script of A New Hope, so it's likely that the Rebels reference was to that before being a reference to Dawn of the Jedi in particular. The names also got nods in the prequels, with Ashla being the name of a Togruta youngling in Attack of the Clones, who was briefly considered to become Anakin's Padawan but the age discrepancy meant they had to create a different character. Ahsoka would eventually use Ashla as an alias during the purge though, so things kind of went full circle. Boga, Obi-Wan's lizard mount from Episode 3, was a re-use of the Bogan Force from the old scripts.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

And although technically the whole thing was thrown out with the old EU, in Rebels there's a grey force guy who makes reference to Ashlah and Bogan, which may imply something. A lot of things kinda got stealth-re-canonized in that way.

Yeah, it's real loving bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Having the dark side of the force being called Bogan is loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Darth Bruce, rolling up on the Jedi in his TIE Interceptor Ute, crushing a tinnie of 4x, dropping C-bombs like it's the only word he knows.