Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Is there anything left to ask? I really don't wanna have to sit around a whole rl day and a half before I can get spoiled already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I don’t know folks. I’m okay with ganking Bif today but I’m starting to think the beast is hiding more easily than we’re all assuming here. Like, are we all just taking for granted the idea that the beast only visits one player at night? Could they not have a free kill AND another night action?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

saladscooper posted:

I don’t know folks. I’m okay with ganking Bif today but I’m starting to think the beast is hiding more easily than we’re all assuming here. Like, are we all just taking for granted the idea that the beast only visits one player at night? Could they not have a free kill AND another night action?

I really thought I'd solved it when I had the Fire and Ice theory. I still think there has to be some other handicapped scum pair, or antitown 3P, or something left besides the Beast, so might be cool if there's some separate mechanic to guide it in non-kill stuff as well.

But that's just totally blind speculation for now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

saladscooper posted:

I don't quite understand what this means in terms of who you think is most suspicious for the beast, salad? Do you not agree that the general group of shwinn/Bif/Toal/Illu is probably where the beast is hiding? Should someone be added to this list?

I'm awake now fwiw but I might go back to bed, I will probably vote here in a bit so we can hammer and move the day forward.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I also should theoretically get to bed at some point soon. So if you are gonna vote me, no one hammer just in case I'm asleep, I've been working on a fun shitpost while I was bored lol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Monathin posted:

I don't quite understand what this means in terms of who you think is most suspicious for the beast, salad? Do you not agree that the general group of shwinn/Bif/Toal/Illu is probably where the beast is hiding? Should someone be added to this list?

saladscooper posted:

I think it would be funny if the beast had a guardian player whose job it was to keep the beast alive under any circumstances

Salad are you trying to tell us something lol

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Monathin posted:

I'm awake now fwiw but I might go back to bed, I will probably vote here in a bit so we can hammer and move the day forward.

I’m saying that the methods we’re using to clear people might be faulty

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bifauxnen posted:

Salad are you trying to tell us something lol

As human teenage prodigy Wendy Swan I am obligated to keep the crew abreast of any of the brilliant ideas that pop into my head

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

saladscooper posted:

I’m saying that the methods we’re using to clear people might be faulty

I mean I figure that we don't have a 100% success rate of finding the beast with our methods but what other way is there to clear right now? It's Day 3 and I got garbage data thanks to Cloaca 2 nights, so the only people still alive who I know for sure are humans (and thus have no chance of being the Beast) are myself and Mae. Beyond that, there are obviously players who are non-human who will trip my radar (Toal is an Asari Andromedan, Plastic is an android. Anarc is... something).

It's probable that the beast has multiple actions, especially if, like Hal/Wind, the Beast gains something from the other half of the scumteam being dead. But I don't really know what that could be right now.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
This is all very interesting stuff

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Monathin posted:

I mean I figure that we don't have a 100% success rate of finding the beast with our methods but what other way is there to clear right now? It's Day 3 and I got garbage data thanks to Cloaca 2 nights, so the only people still alive who I know for sure are humans (and thus have no chance of being the Beast) are myself and Mae. Beyond that, there are obviously players who are non-human who will trip my radar (Toal is an Asari Andromedan, Plastic is an android. Anarc is... something).

It's probable that the beast has multiple actions, especially if, like Hal/Wind, the Beast gains something from the other half of the scumteam being dead. But I don't really know what that could be right now.

Hold on a second - your data was gibberish both nights? Cloaca’s role said that her infected only get gibberish for one night, I thought.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

saladscooper posted:

Hold on a second - your data was gibberish both nights? Cloaca’s role said that her infected only get gibberish for one night, I thought.

Misword on my part - Night 2, not 2 nights. I apparently need some caffeine, so I'm going to fix that.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Would make sense since Mona was asking all the non humans to claim since they would be faking results on them the rest of the game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Toalpaz posted:

This is all very interesting stuff

:emptyquote:

Wait, fake edit, that last bit actually was maybe interesting

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Toalpaz posted:

Would make sense since Mona was asking all the non humans to claim since they would be faking results on them the rest of the game.

lol and lmao

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Toal who did you track N1?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Maerlyn posted:

Toal who did you track N1?

To protect the identities of the innocent I wanted to hold back and force everyone to claim. In case it's still useful on future nights I'm not going to claim n1 results.

I was the first one to confirm that Bif was spored last night, fwiw.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Toal I'm decaffeinated, not an idiot. I know what you're doing lmao

If you look back at day 2, salad claimed results that line up pretty much exactly with my own night action, and, "coincidentally", I stopped being very interested in pushing a case on salad.

If you think I've faked a result come at me with some hard proof, elsewise we got bigger fish to fry.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

i'm still voting bif because i can win this with night actions alone so

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Monathin posted:

This is called an evolving read, I suggest you look at what's happened today! That might give you some clues as to why I don't partcularly feel keen on salad anymore.

I'm just saying even Plastic called me out on dropping the salad case, if you're gonna cast suspicion on people who have claimed I'm the least of your worries.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Toalpaz posted:

i can win this

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Augh Mona will you please poo poo or get off the pot so I can cut down the number of threads I'm getting blue balls in by 50%

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bifauxnen posted:

Augh Mona will you please poo poo or get off the pot so I can cut down the number of threads I'm getting blue balls in by 50%

You said not to hammer you because you were making a shitpost!! But ok fine.

##vote bif

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

that puts bif at -1, ftr

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Monathin posted:

that puts bif at -1, ftr

Good, gooood

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Monathin posted:

You said not to hammer you because you were making a shitpost!! But ok fine.

##vote bif

Yeah so I need -1 before I can know I'll get the hammer!

Really though I just wanted to honour my imaginary made up wincon by dying as I lived: farting around telling bad jokes. (But it's not a fart joke)

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Toalpaz posted:

To protect the identities of the innocent I wanted to hold back and force everyone to claim. In case it's still useful on future nights I'm not going to claim n1 results.

I was the first one to confirm that Bif was spored last night, fwiw.

Is it because she smelled really good but you didn't want to eat her yet?

(I'm suddenly reminded of Toal the colony eating SK in Stellaris, lol)

In all seriousness, I don't see the sense in not sharing who you tracked N1, everyone has seemingly claimed, except AN who says they have no night action.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just have a little story to tell you all before I go.

See, Hal was having a bad D1. Ever since him and his partner released that beast from containment, it was barely causing any chaos at all. It just sat around, chilling out, even taking some long leisurely naps. Until all of a sudden, while Hal was checking up on it, the beast woke up with a gutteral roar and started chasing him around!

But while Hal was running through the corridors for dear life, he noticed a strange pattern. Every time their chase went past this one datascreen, the beast would pause to look at it. Sometimes it would get really distracted, and stop chasing Hal entirely. So once Hal finally managed to properly lose the beast for a while in the middle of the night, he went to have a look at the screen and see what the deal with it was.

It was displaying a roleplaying campaign, played by posts in a thread on some old dead Earth forum. The setting was supernatural horror, with themes of local pagan folk tales contrasted against a character or two with more Christian beliefs. While Hal was looking it over, he heard the beast approaching again and ducked around behind the screen just in time to get out of sight. Sure enough, as the beast came near, it stopped again to have another look. Just staring at the screen as if it was reading along, fully engrossed in the story. Hal was close enough he could smell a faint whiff of burritos on the beast's breath, but it didn't even react as Hal slowly crept away to safety.

The next day came, and the beast was at it again. No matter how many times Hal tried the trick with the screen, as soon as the beast started paying attention again it would make a beeline for him faster than ever. Any time Hal had a shred of hope that he'd got it to finally hunt someone else, it would catch him off guard and restart the chase. By nightfall, Hal was physically and mentally exhausted. Maybe even spiritually exhausted, cause when he stumbled, twisted his ankle and gave the beast the perfect chance to finish the job, Hal found himself instinctually praying, "Please, God, save me!"

A beam of light appeared in the ship's corridor, bathing Hal in peace and calm as the world around him, and the beast beside him, slowed to a halt.

"Really?" boomed the voice of God around him, "You expect divine intervention, a miracle of heaven, to grant you victory in a brief social deduction game?"

"Uh... not exactly, sorry, my bad," Hal replied, "I guess I still had that story on my mind. You know, that beast sure looked really fascinated with it, like it was really getting into the characters. I think that big old beast just really wants to let you in its heart and live in peace. How about you make that beast a Christian?"

There was only silence as the holy light flared into a blinding flash. Then the light slowly faded, and Hal watched the great beast begin to move again, kneeling to the ground and bringing its fearsome claws up below its chin in prayer.

Hal couldn't believe it. The beast even seemed to be whispering to itself, in a gentle, pious voice. Not daring to break the spell and step any closer, Hal strained his ears to try and make out what it was saying.

"Dear Lord, I humbly thank you for the grace and bounty you provide me. Even here in the cold reaches of space, we are always surrounded by your eternal love. Please bless this meal that I am about to receive..."

##vote Bif

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
:redhammer:

Votecount for Day 3

Bifauxnen (6): saladscooper, shwinnebego, wologar, Toalpaz, Monathin, Bifauxnen
shwinnebego (2): AnonymousNarcotics, Toalpaz, Illusionis, Toalpaz
saladscooper (0): saladscooper, saladscooper
Illusionis (0): Monathin, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Monathin
Toalpaz (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (2): Maerlyn, PlasticAutomaton

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is December 09th, 2022 at 11 p.m. CET -- that's in about 1 day, 7 hours.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Perhaps it was feeling cornered. An unusual feeling, for something like that. Or perhaps it knew its day had come. Or maybe those spores just changed something in it. Whatever the reason, the crew found that suddenly, the vicious thing they had all feared had returned of its own volition to its cell.

Bifauxnen a.k.a. The Beast, SELF-Aligned Centaurian Apex Predator has been returned to specimen confinement!

quote:

You were in captivity, weak like a pup. But now you are free! Someone set you free from your prison. You don’t know who, or why. It doesn’t matter. You will eat. You will grow. You will evolve. You will become the dominant life form in this strange world.

You are The Beast, SELF-Aligned Centaurian Apex Predator. You win the game when you are the only player left alive, or nothing can prevent this from happening.

Each night, you may ##kill another player.

At the beginning of the game and every night thereafter, you may ##evolve, gaining one evolution of your choice from the list below. You cannot choose the same evolution twice. This is a free action that you may use in addition to your kill action, and the evolution chosen will apply to your kill the same night, if relevant.

Possible evolutions:

- Hypnotic Trill: You gain one passive governor shot, automatically negating the first time you would be eliminated by the day vote.
- Thick Hide: You gain one bulletproof shot, automatically protecting you from the first action that would otherwise kill you.
- Adaptive Camouflage: Your kills may now be ##ninja kills, making them undetectable by actions that detect visits (such as trackers or watchers). If you use this ability, you cannot use it again the following night.
- Acid Glands: Your kills may now be ##janitor kills, hiding all alignment and role details from their flip. If you use this ability, you cannot use it again the following night.
- Serrated Claws: Your kills may now be ##juggernaut kills, making them impossible to prevent by protective or blocking abilities. If you use this ability, you cannot use it again the following night.
- Heightened Senses: You now passively learn the names of anyone who visits you at night (but not what actions they performed).

Suddenly, a strange quiet settled across the ship. No more bulkheads tore messily to pieces. No more broken positronic matrices or computer failures. In the hours following the crew spent a lot of time mopping up mushroom spores from the corridors, however, and they all mourned the loss of their captain. But overall, they came out of the affair largely unscathed. So things can be, on the frontiers of space.

All threats to the ship have been eliminated.

The game has ended in a CREW victory!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Gg everyone!

Props to bif for holding out in a p impossible situation

Also this is probably the first SA mafia game where I didn’t suck as town lol

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Legit props to Toal and binus for basically nailing all non-town to the wall. This wasn't my best game but ah well, sometimes you get games where you're just a 6/10 flavor cop.

Sorry to Hal and windward who ended up scum again literally right after Song Maf, bad luck of the draw, lol.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Wow good job crew! I really didn't suspect bif honestly.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Fun game HCT!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Surviving crewmates:

Illusionis a.k.a. Wenjie Zhou, Human Communications Officer:

quote:

You are Lieutenant Wenjie Zhou, CREW-Aligned Human Communications Officer. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated.

During the day, you may ##commlink with another player, who you will enter into an unconfirmed masonry with until the next day begins. You may not choose the same player more than once. This is a private day action, submitted in Discord.

Monathin a.k.a. Arjun Singh, Human Xenobiologist:

quote:

You are Dr. Arjun Singh Ph.D., CREW-Aligned Human Xenobiologist. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated.

At night, you may ##bioscan another player to discover whether they are human or non-human. Be aware that the ship is a multi-species workplace and some of your allies are aliens (from your perspective - from theirs, you are of course the alien).

Toalpaz a.k.a. Aq Five-Branches, Andromedan Security Chief:

quote:

You are Lieutenant Commander Aq Five-Branches, CREW-Aligned Andromedan Security Chief. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated.

At night, you may use the ship’s surveillance system to ##track a player, learning who they visited that night.

wologar a.k.a. Jamila Ruiz Torres, Human Chief Engineer:

quote:

You are Lieutenant Jamila Ruiz Torres, CREW-Aligned Human Chief Engineer. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated.

At night, you may attempt to ##repair a computer subsystem, restoring some of your fellow crew's missing functionality. However, you don't know which subsystem restores what functionality, so you'll just have to guess. Choose a letter from A to F that you haven't chosen before and that system will come back online.

PlasticAutomaton a.k.a. E.N.O.C.H., Android Doctor:

quote:

You are the Emergency Neuro-Organic Clinic Host (E.N.O.C.H.), CREW-Aligned Android Doctor. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated.

At night, you may ##protect a player from a killing action that night. You cannot target yourself, nor can you target the same player more than once.

saladscooper a.k.a. Wendy Swan, Human Teenage Prodigy:

quote:

You are Ensign Wendy Swan, CREW-Aligned Human Teenage Prodigy. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated.

You have one shot of bulletproof, which will protect you from a killing action. However, you are also easier to eliminate by vote than other players, requiring one fewer vote than normal. Both effects are removed once there are five or fewer players left in the game.

At night, you may ##snoop on another player, learning whether they visited or were visited by another player that night, but not who or what. However, that player will also be alerted to the fact that you visited them (but not what action you took).

ANarc a.k.a. Cooksy, Barnardian Cook:

quote:

You are Cooksy, CREW-Aligned Barnardian Cook. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated. At the moment you have no powers beyond your vote, but you always wanted to be more than you are. Should an opportunity present itself, you will be ready.

Maerlyn a.k.a. Marco Nguyen, Human Redshirt:

quote:

You are Crewman Marco Nguyen, CREW-Aligned Human Redshirt. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated. You have no powers beyond your vote.

shwinnebego a.k.a. Haruki O'Malley, Human Redshirt:

quote:

You are Crewman Haruki O’Malley, CREW-Aligned Human Redshirt. You win the game when all threats to the ship have been eliminated. You have no powers beyond your vote.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You might be wondering what repairing the computer systems would have done. You saw two of them, but here they all are:

System A: Weapons Lockers - Cooksy gets a one-shot dayvig.
System B: Security Office - Security chief can now also roleblock the targets he watches, but cannot target the same player on consecutive nights.
System C: Engineering - Engineering chief learns all the systems and can repair another one tonight.
System D: Sickbay - Doctor now also voyeurs targets.
System E: Xenobiology Lab - Xenobiologist gets more flavor and gunsmiths the target.
System F: Comm Office - Commlink masonry is permanent and can have three people in it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

gg!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I did not regret this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Congrats to all of my mushroom babies! I call survivor, part of me is still with half the crew!