Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Is there a tank phase? I'm joining anyway, but I will be extra motivated if we finally get tank phase!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Okay, clearly some people here need a refresher on how this game is played. Fortunately I still have the explanation from HCT's mafia role generating AI saved:

quote:

Please explain to me how you play mafia.
We're all playing as humans. We start with random rolls to see who gets which roles, and then we go around asking questions about each other. For example "Who is the most likely person to be mafia?" Then you ask another question. Once you get enough answers, you decide who's mafia.
One interesting thing I'd like to point out is that there's no way to answer "I am mafia" without being revealed as mafia. So if you are mafia, you are supposed to lie and say you aren't.
Also, you can use "I'm a human" as an answer, which isn't actually a lie, but you'll probably make people suspicious.

I hope that clears things up for all of you.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Illusionis posted:

##vote Cloacamazing

No tank phase for you

Says you. I'll have you know that tank phase is happening in my confessional.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Toalpaz posted:

My schedule has dramatically changed, so I wouldn't be surprised if my output is less prolific. A word of warning for my fellow players.

Is salad scooper AA AI?

I'm going to breadcrumb now:

Ajjdidnifjfifndkkskf not fjdnfjndksncjdnosnanaloanfndjnsma

I don't think I'm going to vote anyone either, I'm not convinced by any of these cases. They're no good. (/S /jk /LH)

##:vote keane

Hmm. Looks like a basic substitution cypher at first glance, but the length of the words makes me suspect the message is in Finnish or something like that. Possibly something where you need to read every third letter, but we're short on vowels. Phonetically speaking, the first word kind of sounds like "I did nif" followed by static. In summary, I got nothing.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Illusionis posted:

I'm gonna break into your confessional and get in on that then

Awesome, build your tank and start playing.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'm just waiting for binus to claim scum again.

Also this:

Bifauxnen posted:

Don't know yet, I'm still wondering what the significance is of you saying confirmed town this time, then running my thoughts through Google Translate a million times to try and get closer to the truth

Same.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

wologar posted:

I use text to speech software to listen to all posts. If the AI doesn't sound trustworthy when reading, the poster is scum.

wologar posted:

So far, Cloaca and ANarc have failed this test.

I am truly saddened that you would believe an AI voice over me, your favorite innocent and trustworthy poster. I only hope this message will be read in a more trustworthy voice. Love, friendship, rainbows, baby seals.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Song Mafia 2: binus claimed town, several people said he was on their town list since he says he only makes his "I'm town" posts as town, so he claimed scum to see what would happen.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Regarding our current vote leaders, are you people planning to stick with the initial Keane turbo? Getting a bit suspicious that nobody has moved off their joke vote yet, but it's still early.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Nah I meant you're either a newb or a rereg

wol is a beautiful unique force of nature. Join me in appreciating our wol. ##vote wologar

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well, crap, looks like I accidentally bookmarked the Pokémon Megathread instead of the HCT mafia game. How embarassing, I'll be seeing myself out.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

saladscooper posted:

OH YEAH I should tell y’all I’m Hated

That's sad to hear! We love you, salad!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

saladscooper posted:

Hmm, decent amount of pressure on wolo suddenly. Not sure I like it, their posting seems consistent with previous town games of theirs. Townlist is wolo, binus, potentially scum is Mona?

Yeah, I should probably ##unvote, my wol vote wasn't exactly serious. Although he did decide I was effortposting scum after reading a single post of mine, which I am quite salty about! Train your seal-reading skills, wol, they still need some work.

Binus is binussing, I'm still paranoid about him straying from the usual "Im town". There's a lot of people townreading him just from this too.

Mona is kind of a null read for me. I agree with them that Toal needs to explain her Maerlyn vote, because I really dislike that "I am casting my vote, but will not explain why!" thing.

Before anybody asks "Who scum, Cloaca?", currently no big reads, some scrumptious scumpings from Yami for distracting us with Pokémon talk and Toal for that votestuff. Would currently vote either of them.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cloacamazing! posted:

That's sad to hear! We love you, salad!

Just noticed though, shouldn't salad have an anonymous vote in votefinder if he's hated? That's how that worked in Stellaris.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

wologar posted:

Friends! I have it on good authority that the crewmate with the least number of posts will EXPLODE the following day.

Please say no to floating limbs. Think of the janitor.

That's one way to get around lurking scum!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
...wol. If I had a vig, I would shoot you for bringing Pokémon talk back.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well, if you're not pulling our legs here, Hated means one less vote to lunch, Loved means one more.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Toalpaz posted:

##vote Cloaco

just so it isn't ambiguous where I think this is going, i think an early vote leader is more interesting than a 3 way tie with lots of noise. (scum are very comfortable in that position)

Does that mean we're not getting an explanation on the Maerlyn vote now?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Cause I have one for the highest post count so it would be really funny if we could mexican standoff each other.

Of all the games for Wind to skip...

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hey everyone, I've determined that I am NOT in a good enough mental state to be playing mafia at the moment and asked to replace out. I'm, as someone called it, IRL mad enough to be unable to even relax/sleep properly and after having some time to reflect on it am letting it affect others way too much.

Sorry for snapping at anyone if you felt attacked. I will probably not going to respond to anything game related anymore either, as just looking at the thread long enough to write this is ticking me off again which really does not feel like a good sign.

Aww man, hope you feel better soon, Yami!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

wologar posted:

So, Cloaca, now that you're here, WHO SCUM

Honestly, right now I feel like D1 has dragged on too long, and we still have another 24 hours to go. Scum's more than likely to be found among the lurkers and low-content posters, watching town fight and only stepping in if it really looks bad for one of their own. I'm currently re-reading the thread with that theory in mind.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Monathin posted:

keane's case on wologar does make some amount of sense to me, imo. i can at least read it and see how keane came to that conclusion and i think it's relatively solid. i don't really think the inciting incident is especially strange - people want people to post.

i don't think i want to necessarily vote out wologar today just yet but i'm kind of turning over my other opinions in my head right now. kind of landing on a 'would vote' at this exact moment, which could change as i go back and process some reads - i think this has been a relatively meaty d1, all things considered.

My own theory on the wol situation right now is that he definitely has some sort of killing ability, which is not a vig, see exhibit A:

wologar posted:

I regret to inform the crew that I do not have a vig. I repeat, I do not have a vig.

Carry on.

The low post count thing might just be something he's decided on to pick his target, because of lurking scum. Or possibly to make us all post more.

I mean, there is also the option that wol is scum and has decided the player with the lowest post count will be the nightkill and has been broadcasting this the entire day, but that seems... excessive? Possibly?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Toalpaz posted:

We have to kill this fella. Look at the reasoning on desplay here....

My theory is: take this player at their word.

But I still believe they're a killer!

This is baffling content.

Vig can be a town role? Or something similar to a vig. If that's what wol is claiming, it's not exactly alignment indicative.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Yami Fenrir has requested a substitution, and will be replaced by WindwardAway. The game continues as normal.

Welcome, Wind! Wol is currently in the lead by 74 posts, how long will it take you to catch up?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
But that's what I said in my confessional too! Are we the same person?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cloacamazing! posted:

But that's what I said in my confessional too! Are we the same person?

mafia edit: referring to wol's post, not binus

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Monathin posted:

my sleep schedule is in shambles keane. i'm taking a nap. think me sus for it if thou wilt.

Says the guy who demanded I explain myself at 4 am last game.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
25 hours from now

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CCKeane posted:

Let me use another example - let's say Plastic and Illusionis are tied to trolley tracks, and wologar is at the lever (we can assume Schwinnebago tied them to the tracks.)

A trolley is going to come, and it'll kill Plastic, but wologar pulls the level so the trolley goes to kill Illusionis instead. I'd want to know why wologar would do this.

Torturing this analogy, I assume suspect that wologar may have a brake lever on hand that was conveniently ignored.

...WHY

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CCKeane posted:

Let me use another example - let's say Plastic and Illusionis are tied to trolley tracks, and wologar is at the lever (we can assume Schwinnebago tied them to the tracks.)

A trolley is going to come, and it'll kill Plastic, but wologar pulls the level so the trolley goes to kill Illusionis instead. I'd want to know why wologar would do this.

Torturing this analogy, I assume suspect that wologar may have a brake lever on hand that was conveniently ignored.

Also, the answer should be obvious:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Maerlyn does seem a bit aggressive in her posts, which comes off as scummy to me:

Maerlyn posted:

I'm sorry you rolled scum this time, I'd be bored too.

Maerlyn posted:

I refuse to believe you've never heard of hated/loved, don't lie like that shwinn 😣

Maerlyn posted:

I'm just a normal human man, I'm rather handsome actually!

I'm pretty disengaged at the moment (I don't know why it feels like I haven't played Mafia in awhile, it's only been a month) but things are starting to perk up a bit.

Who else do you think looks scummy?

I do find it strange that scum would claim VT that early, if only because the second they were caught doing any sort of night action, they'd be up for lunch.

In favor of the scumMaerlyn case, that disengaged claim could definitely be read as an excuse for scumlurking.

Maerlyn posted:

I've never actually played with Monathin but I'm not seeing anything overtly scummy from him yet, so more null for now.

AN's case on binus is pretty bad (accusing him of no effort casing but binus is probably putting the most effort I've seen from him in awhile, which...I don't know what that says actually, someone hold me I'm frightened). Will give AN a closer look.

I do like the idea of Yami and Keane being scum, maybe with a side of Hal...

##vote Yami

I feel like Yami's been flying a bit under the radar, at this point he would have found some small little hole to poke into, his only real read so far is a kinda meh case on Cloaca.

Maerlyn posted:

I'm sorry I reread your posts but didn't see a "going to take it easy this game" memo, I can't say I've ever seen you as a disengaged player. I also feel like that's a copout for what is essentially not even that much of a "case", more like an observation and agreement with others that you are coming across a little scummy.

Also my favorite tactic by people who usually turn out not to be town:

Hyperbole (exaggerated statements), like saying I "got aggressive" on you after poking Clo.
I'll have to come back around to that and this tomorrow, it's after 4 AM:

I'm not sure how I'm "going under the radar" and "getting aggressive" on you at the same time, those don't seem to mesh.

Again, Maerlyn going pretty aggressive after Yami's case on me. When I saw those posts, it actually came across as her trying to protect me, which is a bit weird on D1.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
On the Keane case, that wol case of his is weird, I agree. Especially because of this:

wologar posted:

Wait, are you implying that I wanted to save Plastic because we're both scum?

Keane has been accusing wol of being scum because he's trying to protect Plastic for pages now, but he doesn't think both of them are scum? If that's not the case, why is wol protecting Plastic an issue? And honestly, the whole "wol is protecting Plastic" thing seems a bit out of left field.

wologar posted:

Friends! I have it on good authority that the crewmate with the least number of posts will EXPLODE the following day.

Please say no to floating limbs. Think of the janitor.

wologar posted:

:hmmyes: If anything, Maer and Hal are at risk of being exploded by post count.

wologar posted:

Just remember not to be the one with the least votes at deadline!

wologar posted:

I was referring to this:

Maybe Hal also misunderstood?

wologar posted:

That could be the case but as someone who always sees Plastic as scum, he seems fine this game so far.

wologar posted:

That being said, Plastic, buddy, please post more. You're the one at risk of exploding now and we only have 27 hours left.

I don't see how this last post is somehow more "keeping Plastic safe" than the earlier part where wol pointed out the same for Maer and Hal.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Actually, now that I think about it, the Keane case really makes no sense with wol's posts here:

wologar posted:

That could be the case but as someone who always sees Plastic as scum, he seems fine this game so far.

wologar posted:

That being said, Plastic, buddy, please post more. You're the one at risk of exploding now and we only have 27 hours left.

CCKeane posted:

So who has this information, right? There's not a post from HCT. I didn't get a bomb warning in my PM. So I think wologar is trying to put a veil over an ability to add a layer of passivity to a quite possibly anti town event. If wologar does have this ability, then concealing information from town is harmful.

Now the part that's getting me afterwards is the attempts to direct it - I'm was wondering what was happening there. I was fairly neutral in my original question:

And there's a lot of ways to answer that that are really reasonable - "I think Plastic is townier than Illusionis" IS a VERY reasonable answer, and it'd track with Wologars behavior up to this point. But Wologars answer was this:

Just before the warning, wologar had explicitly stated that he sees Plastic as town, and he has also said that he would vote Illu:

wologar posted:

I'd vote ANarc, Cloaca or Illusionis.

A narc's fate is sealed with illusions.

So that's the exact explanation that Keane keeps claiming is missing.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
But why is scumwologar interested in protecting Plastic-with-unknown-alignment openly and to the exclusion of other players? This is the part that I don't understand.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CCKeane posted:

Anyway, 4 hours to spare so!

I'm a psychic frog and I can message people. I messaged Wologar, bif, and Maerlyn today.

I used my power only for mischief and tomfoolery. During the night, I can used them for scum hunting, but, you know, it's funny to trick wologar into posting a poem and bif into making fart jokes.

I am so jealous of that role!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
##vote Maerlyn

Keane comes across pretty genuine with his recent posts, and while I still don't really see his case and suspect he's tunneled himself into seeing wol as scum no matter what, that's a behavior I usually assoicate with town. Maer just showing up and going "Eh, I'm not fighting that one" feels less genuine, and reminds me of the other time I saw her as scum about to get voted out.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Actually, that reminds me, Maer dislikes playing scum, right? So that would also fit with her being apathetic about the votes. Meta read of course, but it's making me more confident with my vote at least.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Why are both of you so convinced on that? I'd say she seems at least somewhat suspicious.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well now I feel bad... I don't want the redshirt to die first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Yeah, seems like a better case. ##vote Anarc