Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
BYOB needs a little chaos. A little edge.

BYOB has a lot of folks who like novelty probes.

BYOB is a prototype fyadlite.

In conclusion, let's run IK contests. RNG is tradition but I like actual contests. If we get a rogue IK dispensing too many sixers that's funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

NO MODS NO MASTERS

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig

Heather Papps

hello friend

this is how i got the job. big ol wall of lava lamps and webcams using the shapes to generate numbers.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ass-penny

watho posted:

NO MODS NO MASTERS

Shifty Nipples

watho posted:

NO MODS NO MASTERS

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Ohtori Akio
I am excited to learn of the imminent stepping down of the moderators, and their decision to hand the keys over to randomly-selected Idiot Kings.

watho

byob will be the first anarcho-monarchist subforum

Heather Papps

hello friend

if this is how the world looks being run by the smart people i say it is time to hand the controls over to the idiots

Ohtori Akio
No disrespect to the moderators, including NUMBER ONE MOD. I just think it's time for some idiots instead.

watho

byob will finally fulfill the prophecy and make idiocracy a documentary

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Counterproposal: Make everyone a mod.

Ohtori Akio

Viginti Septem posted:

Counterproposal: Make everyone a mod.

Make the mod forum a BYOB subforum.

Ass-penny

Ohtori Akio posted:

Shifty Nipples

Ohtori Akio posted:

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Ohtori Akio
Excited to hear this will be implemented on Tuesday.

Goons Are Gifts

Ohtori Akio posted:

Posting this in the mod forum, implementation imminent

Ohtori Akio

Ghouls are Ghastly posted:

Posting this in the mod forum, implementation imminent

Has there been any word on the Idiot King Contest.

watho

Ohtori Akio posted:

yeah you won :twisted:

Goons Are Gifts

Ohtori Akio posted:

I can't speak to that because the only spiritual and actual government to decide that is the reigning IK, I'm just a low mod I'm just a subject of the king as you are, you have to convince him to implement reforms and start a revolution!!

watho

i honestly think byob should be ruled by a secret shadow government. i really believe this

Goons Are Gifts

Oh that's a good idea that we didn't already have in place, heh, heh heheheheheheh *blinks nervously*

watho

don’t blame me, i voted for duckie

Ohtori Akio

I can't speak to that because the only spiritual and actual government to decide that is the reigning IK, I'm just a low mod I'm just a subject of the king as you are, you have to convince him to implement reforms and start a revolution!!

Well, then - Heather Papps, will we be having Idiot King Contests?

Stoner Sloth

what if instead of this forum being a fyad-lite, fyad became byob-heavy?

Ohtori Akio
I think you will have to raise that idea with FYAD directly.

Stoner Sloth

Ohtori Akio posted:

I think you will have to raise that idea with FYAD directly.

what if we decided who would raise the idea with fyad using an rng?

Twenty Four

Ohtori Akio posted:

BYOB has a lot of folks who like novelty probes.

100% of my rap sheet is byob novelty probes lol. I could say it's because I'm a good poster, but more likely I'm just not that interesting and pretty chill.

watho posted:

i honestly think byob should be ruled by a secret shadow government. i really believe this

Oh that's a good idea that we didn't already have in place, heh, heh heheheheheheh *blinks nervously*

I think it's kinda that way but in a good spirited not really secret way? The first time I was IK maybe over 5 years ago Duckie messaged me and was like "do you want to be IK for a couple months give or take?" and I was like "yeah sure" and got PM'ed an extremely reasonable list of "dos and don'ts" (I think they are mostly the same now as they were then) then when I was done, I recommended someone as my successor, Olive! I think, and I assume the same process happened. Presumably whoever was before me recommended me as well.

The most recent time maybe half a year ago I guess it was an "IK contest" that I got voted in on by all of like maybe 10 votes lol. After a few months I was in a weird living situation and Mani and GaG were like "want someone to take over? You can do another contest if you want or just hand it over" and I said "sure, I'm unreliably online right now, maybe just give it to one of a short list of names including Barking Gecko because they are cool and good and I'd trust them as IK?" and I guess that's what happened.

So I guess that's my super-secret shadow government behind the scenes info! You can hand out 6ers, sticky threads for various amounts of time in a drop-down menu, and goldmine threads (maybe gas too? but like hardly any byob threads need gassing), and I think that's about it. It's all so exciting! lol

Also:

Ohtori Akio posted:

lol even if still unviewable other then the title being there and inaccessible, enough people don't get byob as it is, and I think that would make it even more confusing to those people and I think that's funny.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
every poster an idiot king

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the reality would be every byober giving themselves sixers in perpetuity, like those rats w/ the endorphin buttons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Twenty Four

Nosfereefer posted:

the reality would be every byober giving themselves sixers in perpetuity, like those rats w/ the endorphin buttons

just lmao if you become an IK and don't give yourself a 6er. It was probably the first thing I did and the first one I ever got.

Stoner Sloth

lol last time i was ik the forums nearly shut down, do we really want to risk that again?

Ohtori Akio
We should give it to the next noob who wanders into WH&C.

Ass-penny

Stoner Sloth posted:

what if instead of this forum being a fyad-lite, fyad became byob-heavy?

:hmmyes:

Shifty Nipples

i've never had buttons of power

Goons Are Gifts

Sneaking in some actual answers here like a diamond thief

Twenty Four posted:

I think it's kinda that way but in a good spirited not really secret way? The first time I was IK maybe over 5 years ago Duckie messaged me and was like "do you want to be IK for a couple months give or take?" and I was like "yeah sure" and got PM'ed an extremely reasonable list of "dos and don'ts" (I think they are mostly the same now as they were then) then when I was done, I recommended someone as my successor, Olive! I think, and I assume the same process happened. Presumably whoever was before me recommended me as well.

The most recent time maybe half a year ago I guess it was an "IK contest" that I got voted in on by all of like maybe 10 votes lol. After a few months I was in a weird living situation and Mani and GaG were like "want someone to take over? You can do another contest if you want or just hand it over" and I said "sure, I'm unreliably online right now, maybe just give it to one of a short list of names including Barking Gecko because they are cool and good and I'd trust them as IK?" and I guess that's what happened.

So I guess that's my super-secret shadow government behind the scenes info! You can hand out 6ers, sticky threads for various amounts of time in a drop-down menu, and goldmine threads (maybe gas too? but like hardly any byob threads need gassing), and I think that's about it. It's all so exciting! lol
It is!
We actually still do it that way. Byob has a tradition of rotating IKs and the list you mentioned is still the same but with my writing instead of fluffie basically and ehh I think we only added a passage about succession and gang tags, that's it.

Since we had the Big Revolution Of The Lazy earlier this year, the setup is exactly the same, but we made it more relaxed. Originally every IK got one full month to go and be crazy, now we do it with a general "tell us how long you'd like" approach with mild "how about" limitations to keep things spinning, plus the IK gets to decide how to decide who gets to rule next. Anything goes, from IK contest to democracy to wild games to the IK deciding on a name or many. Even multiple IKs aren't forbidden if the IK wishes to do so.

So if HP wants to do an IK contest later on, that's entirely cool!
If we want to have an IK contest at all times instead of having the IK decide how to proceed, that's an entirely plausible suggestion, too, kinda depends on how both you guys as well as our past and current IKs felt with the do what you wish concept

Manifisto

they call them idiot kings but I tell you whut they seem pretty intelligent and crafty to me

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Ohtori Akio posted:

Well, then - Heather Papps, will we be having Idiot King Contests?

i would say as soon as there is a good enough idea for a contest?

So if HP wants to do an IK contest later on, that's entirely cool!
If we want to have an IK contest at all times instead of having the IK decide how to proceed, that's an entirely plausible suggestion, too, kinda depends on how both you guys as well as our past and current IKs felt with the do what you wish concept

two contests in one ikdom sounds like a pretty good legacy to me! better than "forgot to give me the probe i was PROMISED"

e: i need to deliver all the probes i promised before i hand the reigns over i think but yeah i have had a blast doing the needful.

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 28, 2022

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I've never been to fyad, if you need me to go there and battle for byob I will.

Heather Papps

hello friend

just watch out if you do a medium okay job posting there but a mod realizes like a month later you'll still catch a probe for being an outsider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho

the real war is against deals and coupons