Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nominating Brian Trenchard-Smith, Australian director whose quality ranges from Dead End Drive-In and Turkey Shoot to Leprechaun 4: In Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

I had somehow missed mbds noms (probably me blocking them out) but Basebf should get first dibs since he was on a legacy team. So he has first rights until the draft starts. I’ll double check that all later and update the sheet.

Oh I'm totally fine with Soavi being on a team instead, strike him from my nomination!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Scumfuck Princess posted:

I believe we're allowed to ignore anthology films if multiple directors are involved, for the sake of simplicity and fairness. Conceivably you could have an all-anthology team? Goat can probably say if it'd be explicitly against the rules, but if the council is cool with it, and people ultimately vote for it, it seems fine.

E: And I would like to nominate Family Friendly because I want Goat to watch Princess Mononoke already

Hayao Miyazaki
Princess Mononoke

Henry Selick
Coraline
The Nightmare Before Christmas

Nick Park
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Barry Sonnenfeld
The Addams Family
Addams Family Values

Jules Bass & Arthur Rankin, Jr.
The Last Unicorn

Darn, I had the BEST joke team with Barry Sonnenfeld. Ah well

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Darthemed posted:

Nominating Brian Trenchard-Smith, Australian director whose quality ranges from Dead End Drive-In and Turkey Shoot to Leprechaun 4: In Space.

So great to amazing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

Renominating:

Never Going To Australia Peter Weir/Colin Eggleston/Tony Williams/Michael Laughlin

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
The Cars That Ate Paris (1974)
Long Weekend (1978)
Cassandra (1986)
Innocent Prey (1984)
Nightmares (1980)
Next of Kin (1982)
Bio-Dead (2009)
Strange Behavior (1981)

From what I can tell Williams and Laughlin wasn't on your team last year so you have to wait until the draft to add them. You do however reserve the rest.

married but discreet posted:

Life affirming Austrians Michael Haneke, Severin Fiala, Veronika Franz, and an exciting, uplifting mystery entry to be announced!

Funny Games
Funny Games US
Benny's Video
Ich Seh ich seh
The Lodge

On the flip side you had Stefan Ruzowitzki on this team last year. You are free to dump him but wanted to double check and make sure you didn't just make a mistake.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Since I'm hear I'm renominating the rest of my Mount Rushmore with Wes.

Alfred Hitchcock
John Carpenter
Roger Corman
Mario Bava

Carpenter is down to 8 films so if he doesn't make a run this year... or makes half a run... this might be it for him as a solo artist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Soavi was on his own at one point but as of last year he didn't have enough to go solo so I put him on a team.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Carpenter is down to 8 films so if he doesn't make a run this year... or makes half a run... this might be it for him as a solo artist.

Kind of lends more credence to the idea that we should be allowing previously used films back into contention, no? Otherwise, we're gonna run out of solo directors, and then the teams are probably barely gonna be able to support whatever's left from their catalogs anyway.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

This reminded me he directed Night of the Demons 2 which led me to another nomination....

Kevin S. Tenney
Witchboard
Night of the Demons
The Cellar
Witchtrap
Witchboard 2
Pinocchio’s Revenge
Arrival II
Endangered Species
Brain Dead

Also because I love him and think he still has plenty of gas in the tank, I’d like to renominate

Mr. Robert Zombie

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I don't think anyone's nominated Fulci yet, but if someone had him to re-nominate, I may have missed that.

Here's the list of his horror movies I found that aren't already on that Letterboxd list:

One on Top of the Other (1969)
Lizard in a Woman’s Skin (1971)
The Psychic (1977)
The House By the Cemetery (1981)
The Black Cat (1981)
New York Ripper (1982)
Murder Rock (1984)
Aenigma (1987)
Zombi 3 (1988)
Sodoma’s Ghost (1988)
Touch of Death (1988)
The House of Clocks (1989)
The Sweet House of Horrors (1989)
Cat In the Brain (1990)
Demonia (1990)
Voices from Beyond (1991)
Door to Silence (1992)

Looks like a lot of his earliest movies have been chosen already, but some of the later ones might be interesting to talk about since they're less well known. If something mid-80s or later makes the cut, I'm crossing my fingers for Cat In the Brain or Murder Rock.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Class3KillStorm posted:

Kind of lends more credence to the idea that we should be allowing previously used films back into contention, no? Otherwise, we're gonna run out of solo directors, and then the teams are probably barely gonna be able to support whatever's left from their catalogs anyway.
We’re nowhere near running out of solo directors. That wouldn’t be the case even if we limited selections to directors in the USA. We’re just going to get into film zones with which people are less familiar (or comfortable).

I’d like to nominate the late Albert Pyun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Class3KillStorm posted:

I’m of the thinking that losing some big name solo directors isn’t a bad thing because it opens up opportunities for deeper cuts. But I’ll be breaking up the voting pools this year between solo/team and vet/rookie so I think that should give us a clearer look. I’d solo pool is shallow then maybe it’s a problem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I believe the Cumulative Movies sheet is now updated. Cumulative Directors should also be. Teams is NOT. I'll work on it. Sorry for the delay.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

From what I can tell Williams and Laughlin wasn't on your team last year so you have to wait until the draft to add them. You do however reserve the rest.

On the flip side you had Stefan Ruzowitzki on this team last year. You are free to dump him but wanted to double check and make sure you didn't just make a mistake.

Ack, that's what I get for just editing one spreadsheet instead of saving copies regularly. Yeah Ruzowitzki is out, he's too cheerful for the team.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'd like to nominate Kiyoshi Kurosawa, director of wistful horror films like Pulse, Loft, and Daguerrotype.

I'd also like to nominate Koji Shiraishi, strong contender for the king of mockumentary horror, via Noroi, Occult, and the Senritsu Kaiki File series.

And a nomination of Hideo Nakata, director of Ringu, Ringu 2, and The Ring Two.

Plus Mari Asato, who has a light specialization in horror films about curses, including Fatal Frame, Ring of Curse, and Bilocation.

Also Norio Tsuruta, director of Ringu 0, P.O.V. A Cursed Film, and Orochi Blood.

And Fred Olen Ray, American schlockster responsible for Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, Beverly Hills Vamp, and Bikini Frankenstein.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I'd like to nominate:

Sergio Martino

The Fishmen and Their Queen 1995
American Rickshaw 1989
The Scorpion with Two Tails 1982
The Great Alligator 1979
Island of the Fishmen 1979
Slave of the Cannibal God 1978
The Suspicious Death of a Minor 1975
All the Colors of the Dark 1972
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key 1972

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Darthemed posted:

I'd like to nominate Kiyoshi Kurosawa, director of wistful horror films like Pulse, Loft, and Daguerrotype.

Same brain, I nominated him already

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darthemed posted:

And Fred Olen Ray, American schlockster responsible for Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, Beverly Hills Vamp, and Bikini Frankenstein.

100 films added!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Once again I would like to nominate our friends from Hammer/Amicus, Terence Fisher, Roy Ward Baker, and Freddie Francis.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Unless there’s any objections I was thinking we’d move up the draft start date to December 3rd. The 4th date was a holdover from last year and when I started things a bit later and the 3rd is our comfy Saturday. I just don’t want to catch anyone off guard for them to miss the first round or so. But this is 2 1/2 days warning so I think it’s ok?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Taking a glance at the previous nominations again I’d like to renominate

Andy Milligan
Dario Argento
Lamberto Bava
Lloyd Kaufman
Jack Hill

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 2, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For Kaufman I decided to include two anthologies he took part in in Grindsploitation and Tales from the Crapper. It just felt appropriate as they're Troma anthologies and Kaufman is Tromaso even i he didn't direct all the segments it all seems like his thing. But if anyone objects or wants those films for a team or something let me know and I'll pull them.

Also its Dec 2nd. So fresh reminder. The draft starts at 12 noon EST tomorrow Dec 3rd! You'll be able to nominate any qualifying and eligible team or add new directors to your existing teams. But you can only do one team a day. You can't go again until 12 noon EST Dec 4th. So you gotta prioritize and try and make the right picks so you don't lose key directors to someone else while you wait for your next turn. That's the "fun" of the draft (and best way to play it fair from some of us spamming early).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 2, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where are we with Mario Bava? Going down his list of films I feel like he may only have 5 left, but that depends on the ruling of which ones technically qualify as horror. If he only has 5 left that means I can use him in a team.

As far as what he has left I'm seeing:

The Girl Who Knew Too Much
The Whip and the Body
Planet of the Vampires
Hatchet For the Honeymoon
Baron Blood

Am I off on that count? If so I'd like to nominate him as a solo director.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I nominated him earlier and used the list I put together last year, which included a bunch of "sci fi", "fantasy" and "thrillers". But I felt like Bava like Hitchcock kind of earned the benefit of the doubt on those borderline films since he was so groundbreaking in changing and expanding the horror field. And like one of those "sci fi" films is a mad scientist movie starring Vincent Price. So like... that's gotta count, right?

Planet of the Vampires
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
Baron Blood
The Venus of Ille
The House of Exorcism
Caltiki, the Immortal Monster
Hercules in the Haunted World
The Whip and the Body
Rabid Dogs
Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs
The Day the Sky Exploded

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 2, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm cool with that, and thrillers definitely have counted for other directors. Anyway let's get him on the nomination list because he's got some great stuff still left.

House of Exorcism is just a different cut of Lisa and the Devil by the way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Taking a closer look House of Exorcism is a reedit of Lisa and the Devil done by Lamberto Bava so gonna cut that. I weirdly can't find The Venus of llle listed under either Bava's wiki filmographies. The Day The Sky Exploded was apparently not credited to Bava but he was a crew member some claim "ghost directed" it. Hercules sounds like its more sword and sandal and while it is set in hell with zombies I dunno. Rabid Dogs is an unfinished crime thing. So yeah. Maybe your count is right.

Although I still contend Vincent Price as a mad scientist has to count for something.

And Caltiki, the Immortal Monster weirdly doesn't seem to be credited to Bava on Letterboxd anymore but apparently Riccardo Freda said he stepped aside to let Bava get his first directing gig. I'd suggest teaming them but since they also apparently teamed up on Il Vampire but Freda has 8 listed horrors of his own.

So I'm not sure what to do with Bava. Open to suggestions.

Tentatively this revised list seems more legit to me. But not sure.

Planet of the Vampires
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
Baron Blood
Caltiki, the Immortal Monster
The Whip and the Body
Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs

I am mildly tempted to team him with Freda. But Bava deserves one last solo run and with Caltiki and Price/Dr Goldfoot I think he's got the numbers.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 2, 2022

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
If they haven't already been nominated and it's not too late, I'd like to throw in

Bruno Mattei

Zombie 3 - 1988
Night of the Zombies - 1980
Cruel Jaws - 1995
Rats: Night of Terror - 1984
Shocking Dark - 1989
Night Killer - 1990
Robowar - 1988
The Other Hell - 1981
Private House of the SS - 1977
Women’s Camp 119 - 1977
Zombies: The Beginning - 2007
Madness - 1994
Island of the Living Dead - 2007
In the Land of the Cannibals - 2004
Cannibal World - 2004
The Jail: The Women’s Hell - 2006

José Mojica Marins

At Midnight I’ll Take Your Soul - 1964
This Night I’ll Possess Your Corpse - 1967
Awakening of the Beast - 1970
Embodiment of Evil - 2008
The Bloody Exorcism of Coffin Joe - 1974
The Strange World of Coffin Joe - 1968
The Profane Exhibit* - 2013
Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind - 1978
The Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures - 1976
Dark Fables* - 2014
Trilogy of Terror* - 1968
Hellish Flesh - 1977
The Curse - 2021
Perversion - 1979
Hour of Fear - 1986
World Market of Sex - 1979
When the Gods Fall Asleep - 1972
The Marble Goddess - 1978

*anthology

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's back! And I guess I'm back, hi. Slightly easier job this year as I had two films left over. Same gimmick, deeper into the barrel

Predation’s Dead
Henri-Georges Clouzot - Diabolique
Hideaki Anno - Shin Godzilla

And four mystery directors who you definitely didn't see and no I haven't edited the post

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 3, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Brutal Brits

Ben Wheatley, Neil Marshall, Remi Weekes and new to the team a mystery director (shhhh)

A Field in England
Dog Soldiers
Doomsday
The Reckoning
His House

and more!

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 3, 2022

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'd like to nominate Larry Cohen, who, assuming I didn't miss something on Letterboxd, seems to have just enough movies left to qualify as a solo director.

It’s Alive (1974)
God Told Me To (1976)
It Lives Again (1978)
Full Moon High (1981)
It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (1987)
A Return to Salem's Lot (1987)

He directed another movie called Wicked Stepmother (1989), but I'm not sure whether it's horror or not. It's a comedy but is apparently partly about a witch? So we could go with that one too if it should be in there.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, Hercules in the Haunted World is just a sword and sandal picture. Not really legit.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh piss, I've just seen the rule about not being able to add to legacy teams until the draft phase. Oh well, I guess I've telegraphed my picks please be kind

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Is there a rule about what to do with a miniseries? One of the directors I'm considering did one horror movie and then a 2-part miniseries that doesn't fit with the rest of the team, so I'm not sure whether to include him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mini series probably fall into the same category as shorts or anthologies. They won’t count by default but if you really want to include them go ahead knowing the competitive disadvantage they’ll have against a standard feature film.

So if you’re asking if you have to count that mini series I’d say no, probably not. I guess that might be debatable. Like 3 hour 2 part tv mini might be shorter and more accessible than a movie. But it’s a grey area so do what you feel is right unless someone objects.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

Oh piss, I've just seen the rule about not being able to add to legacy teams until the draft phase. Oh well, I guess I've telegraphed my picks please be kind

Welcome back! You've successfully renominated your teams with the existing members. You'll just have to add the new directors in the Draft. Also it looks like Marshall did another horror in 2022 The Lair. Which actually gives you enough for Brutal Brits to qualify as is. Although of course you can still add to the team.

deety posted:

I'd like to nominate Larry Cohen, who, assuming I didn't miss something on Letterboxd, seems to have just enough movies left to qualify as a solo director.

It’s Alive (1974)
God Told Me To (1976)
It Lives Again (1978)
Full Moon High (1981)
It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (1987)
A Return to Salem's Lot (1987)

He directed another movie called Wicked Stepmother (1989), but I'm not sure whether it's horror or not. It's a comedy but is apparently partly about a witch? So we could go with that one too if it should be in there.

I included Wicked Stepmother. I also added the "thrillers" The Ambulance, Perfect Strangers, and As Good as Dead which all sound like they're well in the realm of like De Palma type films we've had in the tourney. The rest seem like blaxploitation crime/noir films so I left them out. Any objections or anyone who has seen them and say they're not let me know..

Less than 6 hours from now. 12 noon EST Dec 3rd!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 3, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And since I'm here and working on the spreadsheet I'm gonna go ahead and renominate Tobe Hooper.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

Welcome back! You've successfully renominated your teams with the existing members. You'll just have to add the new directors in the Draft. Also it looks like Marshall did another horror in 2022 The Lair. Which actually gives you enough for Brutal Brits to qualify as is. Although of course you can still add to the team.

I wish he'd stop :(

I'm going to overstuff the team still I think, I love [REDACTED]'s films so I want them in there (although I will happily hand them over to a team with a better concept than "comes from the worst island on the planet")

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

STAC Goat posted:

I included Wicked Stepmother. I also added the "thrillers" The Ambulance, Perfect Strangers, and As Good as Dead which all sound like they're well in the realm of like De Palma type films we've had in the tourney. The rest seem like blaxploitation crime/noir films so I left them out. Any objections or anyone who has seen them and say they're not let me know..

Cool, thanks. I often can't tell where that line is between thriller and something that's more of an action movie when it comes to stuff I haven't seen. Mostly what I've been doing is just going to Letterboxd, filtering a director's movies by what's categorized there as horror, and then going by the cover art or the few lines of description there, so there's a chance I'm gonna miss some more movies over the course of these picks.

deety fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 3, 2022

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Classic One-offs

Films from the Thirties and Forties by directors who only did horror once! (Except for Robert Siodmak, but we saw Son of Dracula last year.) No Universal horror movies allowed!

(Maurice Tourneur, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, Alberto Cavalcanti, Rouben Mamoulian, Victor Fleming, Albert Lewin, Thorold Dickenson, Robert Siodmak, Carl Th. Dreyer)

Carnival of Sinners (1943)
Dead of Night (1945)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
The Queen of Spades (1949)
The Spiral Staircase (1946)
Vampyr (1932)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013