Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Neue Deutsche Filme - a collection of offbeat German horror with cool vibes, away from the usual stereotypes. With Michael Bartlett the "New" part of the team is not quite accurate but whatever!

Der Samurai (2014) Till Kleinert
Lange Nacht (2009) Till Kleinert
Der NachtMahr (2015) Akiz
Luz (2018) Tilman Singer
Hager (2020) Kevin Kopacka
Dawn Breaks Behind the Eyes (2021) Kevin Kopacka
Konzert für die rechte Hand (1987) Michael Bartlett
Ein tödliches Verhältnis (1998) Michael Bartlett
The House of Last Things (2013) Michael Bartlett
The Berlin Bride (2019) Michael Bartlett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Had to make sure Koji got in lol. Stands no chance of getting in otherwise

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So Scared I Soiled My Armor - Terry Gilliam and some other folks who have worked with him.

Julian Doyle
Chemical Wedding
Love Potion

Terry Gilliam
Brazil
Twelve Monkeys
Zero Theorem
Jabberwocky(?)

Terry Jones
The Meaning of Life

Terry Bedford
Slayground

I'm uncertain on Jabberwocky as I haven't seen it; if it's too much straight comedy then it can be taken off, and if anybody wants to argue for some of his other films to be included I'm open to it. Honestly I kind of don't want Zero Theorem but I can't see a reason to exclude it based on genre.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 7, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’d be curious to hear the argument for including The Meaning of Life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My choice for the bye this year will be Roy Ward Baker. I feel he has several selections that folks would enjoy that are very underrated, like Quatermass and the Pit, Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, and Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Darthemed posted:

I’d be curious to hear the argument for including The Meaning of Life.

I feel like there's a fair amount of disturbing and horror-tinged content in it, and combined with the themes of existential dread showing up throughout, it is enough for me to include it. In truth almost all of the films on that team are questionably horror, so it's probably a matter up to the voters to decide. I could consider that both Baron Munchausen and The Fisher King have some visually terrifying moments in them, but I didn't put them on since the bulk of the film isn't dealing with it.

The other obvious problem, though, is that it really should be credited as a Terry Jones film and I just forgot to split it out when making my post. (Gilliam has a co-credit but only for the fish sketches, which is not what I'd submit the movie for).

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

A couple of things I was hoping to use for this one weren't available, but thankfully that didn't drop me below 6 (assuming I didn't miss something).

At The Movies

Vernon Zimmerman - Fade to Black (1980)
Mark Herrier - Popcorn (1991)
Anders Jacobsson - Evil Ed (1995)
Shinichiro Ueda - One Cut of the Dead (2017)
Adam Brooks & Matthew Kennedy - The Editor (2014)
Todd Strauss-Schulson - The Final GIrls (2015)

Jacobsson has another director credit on a horror movie called Insane (2010), but he co-directed it with someone else, so I think that means it didn’t need to go in?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, time for another new team and keep tempting fate with some of my team adds. But this one has too many moving parts that could go and now feels like the right time.

Horror Noire. Simple, a term we’ve all come to know. Black folks in horror is a bit of a rarity and long has been but there’s a lot of new voices emerging and a rich history about how they got there. I tried to keep this kind of diverse. Some old, some new. Not everything a “message” movie. I was even gonna include Meet The Blacks except the dude had too many films and would have blown the soft cap. But I feel pretty good about this lineup. Like actual “this might be a good team” for once.

William Crain
Blacula
Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde

Paul Maslansky
Sugar Hill

Cliff Roquemore
Petey Wheatstraw

Ernest R. Dickerson
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight

Rusty Cundieff
Tales from the Hood

J.D. Dillard
Sweetheart

Nia DaCosta
Candyman (2021)

Mariama Diallo
Master

Jordan Peele
Nope

I did cheat a little by not including the other Tales from the Hood movies. The first was directed by Cundiff and co-written and produced by Darin Scott. Scott co-directed the following films. So technically by our precedence and rules its kosher to just put Cundiff’s solo film in. But I admit I was looking for a way to separate it from the later not great films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Glad to see Dickerson join a team, I'd played around with some ideas involving him but never landed on anything concrete.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I've been tossing him around teams the last two tournies but it never felt right. But with Candyman and Nope available and those classics like Blacula and Tales From The Hood untouched this team came together pretty naturally.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, time for another new team and keep tempting fate with some of my team adds. But this one has too many moving parts that could go and now feels like the right time.

Horror Noire. Simple, a term we’ve all come to know. Black folks in horror is a bit of a rarity and long has been but there’s a lot of new voices emerging and a rich history about how they got there. I tried to keep this kind of diverse. Some old, some new. Not everything a “message” movie. I was even gonna include Meet The Blacks except the dude had too many films and would have blown the soft cap. But I feel pretty good about this lineup. Like actual “this might be a good team” for once.

William Crain
Blacula
Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde

Paul Maslansky
Sugar Hill

Cliff Roquemore
Petey Wheatstraw

Ernest R. Dickerson
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight

Rusty Cundieff
Tales from the Hood

J.D. Dillard
Sweetheart

Nia DaCosta
Candyman (2021)

Mariama Diallo
Master

Jordan Peele
Nope

I did cheat a little by not including the other Tales from the Hood movies. The first was directed by Cundiff and co-written and produced by Darin Scott. Scott co-directed the following films. So technically by our precedence and rules its kosher to just put Cundiff’s solo film in. But I admit I was looking for a way to separate it from the later not great films.

Sweet, this is a great team. I adore Blacula, wanted to find a way to get Crain in the tournament. I considered a Blaxploitation Universal Monsters theme but most of those are terrible outside of Blacula and would prolly sink the team. Scream, Blacula, Scream rules too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, films like Scream Blacula Scream and OG Candyman were obvious additions on my first draft of this team but didn't work since they were made by white directors who did other horrors with no black folks anywhere to be seen. But that's kind of good since it allowed me to fit in movies like Sweetheart, Master, Petey Wheatstraw, and Sugar Hill that weren't on the first cut. And that gives it more of the mixed bag I like my teams to have.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

deety posted:

A couple of things I was hoping to use for this one weren't available, but thankfully that didn't drop me below 6 (assuming I didn't miss something).

At The Movies

Vernon Zimmerman - Fade to Black (1980)
Mark Herrier - Popcorn (1991)
Anders Jacobsson - Evil Ed (1995)
Shinichiro Ueda - One Cut of the Dead (2017)
Adam Brooks & Matthew Kennedy - The Editor (2014)
Todd Strauss-Schulson - The Final GIrls (2015)

Jacobsson has another director credit on a horror movie called Insane (2010), but he co-directed it with someone else, so I think that means it didn’t need to go in?
Very solid theme team here. Love to see Evil Ed getting in the mix, too.

Nominating Team Australian Aberration. Those Aussies are some weirdie blokes, eh? Well, this team is leaning more into the civilized areas of the continent than the desolate isolation which has been richly mined elsewhere. Plus there's one flick set in Texas, because Tasmanian director Sean Byrne felt like doing an American film after The Loved Ones got good reviews.

1. Cat Sick Blues (2016; dir. Dave Jackson)
2. Cannibal Suburbia (2008; dir. Dave Jackson & Jean-Luc Syndikas)
3. The Devil's Candy (2015; dir. Sean Byrne)
4. The Loved Ones (2009; dir. Sean Byrne)
5. The Tale of Ruby Rose (1987; dir. Roger Scholes)
6. Mushrooms (1995; dir. Alan Madden)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Topping off my team, and continuing the country theme.

Life affirming Austrians Michael Haneke, Severin Fiala, Veronika Franz, Peter Brunner.

Funny Games (1997) Haneke
Funny Games US (2007) Haneke
Benny's Video (1992) Haneke
Ich Seh ich seh (2015) Fiala/Franz
The Lodge (2020) Fiala/Franz
Luzifer (2021) Brunner
To the Night (2018) Brunner
Mein blindes Herz (2013) Brunner

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That Horror Noire team is great. I don't blame you for not necessarily wanting to include Tales from the Hood 2 and 3, they're rough, but I bet the posters in this thread would have a lot to say about the insanity that is Tales 2.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Rage Virus - mostly just wanted to get Danny Boyle in again, but I actually like 28 Weeks Later.

Danny Boyle

28 Days Later…
Sunshine
The Beach
Trance the Movie

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo

28 Weeks Later
Intruders
Intacto

I'm iffy on Intacto; not submitting it but I'd be happy to add it if people think it belongs.

Putting Intacto on as I've seen it tagged several places with 'Horror' so that's good enough.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 8, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nominating a tweaked revisiting of twernt's Team Dracula.co.jp from last year. Japanese vampires! What more can I say?

1. Lake of Dracula (1971; dir. Michio Yamamoto)
2. Evil of Dracula (1974; dir. Michio Yamamoto)
3. Blood: The Last Vampire (2009; dir. Chris Nahon)
4. Blood: The Last Vampire (2000; dir. Hiroyuki Kitakubo)
5. The Tomb of Dracula (1980; dir. Minoru Okazaki)
6. Sanguivorous (2007; dir. Naoki Yoshimoto)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve been low key stressing about this one for days because one of my adds came up in the horror thread and a bunch of people said they loved it and I was worried it would inspire someone to add it to a team. So time to stop screwing around and draft it.

The Magical Muppet Wizardry of Jim Henson and Friends (Jim Henson, Joe Dante, Frank Oz, Kirk R. Thatcher, Karl Holt, Bill Watterson, Lisa Ovies, and Walter Murch)

I love my puppet team but it lost its inspiration in Head last year, I watched Turkey Hollow as Thanksgiving and while its delightful I can’t call it horror in any way. So I’m gonna be calling in some reinforcements for the team this year. Lisa Ovies’ Puppet Killer and a childhood throwback that gave me nightmares Walter Murch’s Return to Oz. I just love this team more now. I considered dumping Benny Loves You because I watched it and actually kinda hated it but its actually so similar to Puppet Killer in many ways and I suspect a lot of people would love it so… eh, I left it. Watch it get drawn.

Jim Henson
Labyrinth

Frank Oz
Little Shop of Horrors
The Stepford Wives

Joe Dante
Gremlins
Piranha

Kirk R. Thatcher
Muppets Haunted Mansion

Karl Holt
Benny Loves You

Bill Watterson
Dave Made a Maze

Lisa Ovies
Puppet Killer

Walter Murch
Return to Oz

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 8, 2022

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
It's a shame Head killed the run last year because it was exactly the kind of movie I came here to discover. I'm glad the puppets are back.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I'd like to renominate my Mexican duo from last year, which is mostly a vehicle for The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales.

The Mexecutioner's Song

Rogelio A. González and Carlos Enrique Taboada

Directed by Rogelio A. González
* The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales aka El esqueleto de la señora Morales - 1960
* The Ship of Monsters aka La nave de los monstruos - 1960
* Dr. Satan vs. Black Magic aka Dr. Satán y la magia negra - 1968
* One Minute Before Death - 1972

Directed by Carlos Enrique Taboada
* Even the Wind Is Afraid aka Hasta el viento tiene miedo - 1968
* The Book of Stone aka El libro de piedra - 1969
* Blacker Than the Night aka Más negro que la noche - 1975
* Rapine aka Rapiña - 1975
* Poison for the Fairies aka Veneno para las hadas - 1986

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

twernt posted:

I'd like to renominate my Mexican duo from last year, which is mostly a vehicle for The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales.

Seems totally reasonable to me; I love that movie. Guess this team gets my vote!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is Day/Round... 5? Let me count... yes, 5. We have 5 more. Draft will continue until 12 noon EST Dec 12th. After that we will have two days of free for all for any nominations. Deadline for all nominations will be 12 noon EST Dec 14th. That will also be the deadline for all byes. Get them in by then so I don't have to chase you down and hold up everything while everyone stares and whispers.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
For today, I'm pulling us back to the VHS era for Team Gems from the Video Store. These box covers might have caught your eye while browsing the shelves back in the day, but did you ever actually rent them? If not, you missed out, but now's the chance to fill in that lacuna.

1. Street Trash (1987; dir. J. Michael Muro)
2. Future-Kill (1985; dir. Ronald W. Moore)
3. Club Vampire (1998; dir. Andy Ruben)
4. Bloody Mallory (2002; dir. Julien Magnat)
5. Revenge of the Radioactive Reporter (1990; dir. Craig Pryce)
6. Shredder Orpheus (1990; dir. Robert McGinley)
7. The Dark (1993; dir. Craig Pryce)

Disclosure, The Dark is a mystery bullet, it's the only one in the list that I haven't seen, and it wasn't in the list of Pryce's horror films when I originally put this team together.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

e: the original post was nominating someone already on a team, so now it's just for one person.

Also, since I keep bringing it up, may as well nominate Tommy Wirkola since I think he has enough now.
(Violent Night, The Trip, Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Kurt Josef Wagle and the Legend of the Fjord Witch, Dead Snow)

I don't think the other Kurt Josef Wagle film has any horror elements, and I don't know about What Happened to Monday? but this should be sufficient.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 10, 2022

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Oddly enough, it seems each of the three Cloverfield directors have directed exactly one other horror or horror-adjacent movie. Therefore:

Cloverfield +1

Dan Trachtenberg
10 Cloverfield Lane
Prey

Matt Reeves
Cloverfield
Let Me In

Julius Onah
The Cloverfield Paradox
The Girl is in Trouble

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

I don't remember nominating any teams today, so here's one:

Partially Public
Victor Halperin, Bernard L. Kowalski, and Alex Nicol

White Zombie, The Screaming Skull, and Attack of the Giant Leeches are all ☭ public domain ☭.

Directed by Victor Halperin
* White Zombie - 1932
* Supernatural - 1933
* Revolt of the Zombies - 1936
* Torture Ship - 1939

Directed by Alex Nicol
* The Screaming Skull - 1958
* Point of Terror 1971

Directed by Bernard L. Kowalski
* Sssssss 1973
* Night of the Blood Beast - 1958
* Attack of the Giant Leeches - 1959
* Black Noon 1971

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Resurrecting two teams from last year:

Indonesian Insanity, from a country that has been producing great horror for decades.

Pengabdi Setan (2017) Joko Anwar
Pengabdi Setan 2: Communion (2022) Joko Anwar
The Queen of Black Magic (2019) Joko Anwar
Pintu terlarang (2009) Joko Anwar
Ritual (2012) Joko Anwar
Dead Time: Kala (2007) Joko Anwar
Skandal Iblis (1992) H. Tjut Djalil
Lady Terminator (1988) H. Tjut Djalil
Ratu buaya putih (1988)H. Tjut Djalil
Mystics in Bali (1981) H. Tjut Djalil
Ranjang Setan (1983) H. Tjut Djalil

2 nominations since I didn't do anything yesterday:

Fearsome Filipinos, which is a good mix of schlock and arthouse so should be pleasing to everyone.
Ode to Nothing (2018) Dwein Baltazar
The Killing of Satan (1983) Efren C. Piñon
Are you Afraid of the Dark (1994) Mark Reyes
Trip Ubusan: The Lolas vs Zombies (2017) Mark Reyes
Zombadings 1: Patayin sa shokot si Remington (2011) Jade Castro
Six Degrees of Separation from Lilia Cuntapay (2011) Antoinette Jadaone
Kill Barbara with Panic (1974) Celso Ad. Castillo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't decide what to pick today so I'm just gonna use this one to steal Coralie Fargeat's Revenge from Femme Fatales after Fran stole it from my Team XX before I could steal it from myself for Ladies Night. I'm dropping Woodshock to make room. Nothing against it, just haven't seen it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 10, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Enemies of Horror (Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson, Amy Seimetz, and Brea Grant)
Renominating in total. Jeremy Gardner is out since he’s out of films. Moorehead and Benson have 1 more film but are still short of 6 to be nominated alone. I built this team for them and somehow they’ve gone 3 rounds without being drawn. I considered pulling Grant since she doesn’t have an official connection to them and her latest film Torn Hearts doesn’t fit the vibe of the team totally (although doesn’t miss entirely either). But Brea has the only win for this team so she’s earned her spot. Plus more women around my teams is one of my broader goals. So Enemies of Horror return fully in tact, although I avoided the temptation of expanding.

Aaron Moorehead and Justin Benson’s
Spring
Endless
Resolution
Synchronic
Something in the Dirt

Amy Seimetz’s
She Dies Tomorrow
Sun Don’t Shine

Brea Grant’s
Best Friends Forever
Torn Hearts

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Simple composition today, with Team Drowning in Atmosphere. Two directors, both of whom specialize in slow, somber, thoughtful moods drawing more than a little from Gothic horror traditions.

1. The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (2012; dir. Rodrigo Gudiño)
2. The Breach (2022; dir. Rodrigo Gudiño)
3. Curious Stories, Crooked Symbols (2009; dir. Rodrigo Gudiño)
4. Lord of Tears (2013; dir. Lawrie Brewster)
5. The Unkindness of Ravens (2016; dir. Lawrie Brewster)
6. The Devil's Machine (2019; dir. Lawrie Brewster)
7. The Black Gloves (2017; dir. Lawrie Brewster)

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

There's still gas in that V/H/S tank, so I'm renominating Goat's team!

Be Kind, Rewind -- Return to 📼 As Seen On V/H/S 📼, Chapter III: Wrath of the Goat

Tyler Gillett, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, and David Bruckner

Directed by Tyler Gillett and Matt Bettinelli-Olpin
* Scream - 2022
* Ready or Not - 2019
* Devil's Due - 2014

Directed by David Bruckner
* Hellraiser - 2022
* The Night House - 2020
* The Ritual - 2017

Anthologies
* The Signal - 2007
* Southbound - 2015

Upcoming releases (I can't remember what we do with these)
* V/H/S/85
* Reunion
* Scream 6

twernt fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 11, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VHS 85 I assume will be an Oct release again so it will be after the tourney ends. The other two I don’t know. I’ll include them and we’ll just play it by ear. If they get drawn and they’re readily available they’ll get played. If not they’ll get skipped.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

VHS 85 I assume will be an Oct release again so it will be after the tourney ends. The other two I don’t know. I’ll include them and we’ll just play it by ear. If they get drawn and they’re readily available they’ll get played. If not they’ll get skipped.

Sounds reasonable to me. Thank you!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The title movie got claimed already, and the directors of the remakes I could find either have too many other horror movies or are Rob Lowe. But there were still plenty of good killer kid movies available.

Bad Seeds

Wolf Rilla - Village of the Damned (1960)
Anton Leader - Children of the Damned (1964)
Robert Mulligan - The Other (1972)
Sean MacGregor - Devil Times Five (1974)
Richard Donner - The Omen (1976)
Alfred Sole - Alice, Sweet Alice (1976); Pandemonium (1982)
Lew Lehman - The Pit (1981)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Could I gift Mervyn LeRoy’s The Bad Seed (1956) over to deety’s Bad Seeds team where it belongs? I like the team concept and it seems more likely to get in than my Fifties grab bag team.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

STAC Goat posted:

The Enemies of Horror (Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson, Amy Seimetz, and Brea Grant)

I'm going to use my bye on this team if that is cool.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Servoret posted:

Could I gift Mervyn LeRoy’s The Bad Seed (1956) over to deety’s Bad Seeds team where it belongs? I like the team concept and it seems more likely to get in than my Fifties grab bag team.

I am very pro-50s team though because I've only seen a couple of things on that list.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

I personally would not object to a switcheroo if both folks agree.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah if deety wants it and Serv wants to give it it’s cool with me. I just couldn’t tell if that was acceptance or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I would have grabbed it if it was available, but I also like Servoret's team. I'm okay with whatever they want to do.