Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
As many know, Elon Musk purchased Twitter and as of late has opened the floodgates for right wing reactionaries who were previously banned to come flooding back into Twitter. This has been seen as a virtual "reprisal" of sorts, where the people who thought they were unjustly kicked off Twitter not only got to come back, but they are reveling in smug glee about leftists getting kicked off/driven out of Twitter.

Not surprisingly the nonexistent moderation and cultural shift in demographics have seen some stark changes on Twitter. Whereas before I'd see some pretty intense back and forth in threads, it's shifted in the direction of Facebook in tone:

There's far more echo chambers now than before. Now I totally get it didn't take Musk taking over Twitter for people to get rape threats, death threats, unsolicited dick pics, etc. But it has gotten even more ridiculously polarized than even before. And much like it's Facebook predecessor it seems to fall into the same disingenuous patterns.

The "I'm not touching you!" discourse" - So one thing people praise SA for among online communities is the understanding that moderation has to have nuance to it. The description people gave to me about this is that even if you have 500 explicit rules for behavior people will deliberately skate around them and rules lawyer their way into trolling. So moderation has to look at intent, and since right wing reactionaries operate in bad faith the only way to really get rid of them is to cut through their bullshit. With the changes to Twitter, it has allowed the proliferation of immense numbers of bad faith posting, but paradoxically it seems like they wouldn't be very well equipped to fight back. You see this quite a bit with arguments about the Colorado Springs shooting in particular. They'll all but directly say that the victims had it coming, but when you call them out on it they'll start sea lioning about you needing to prove they posted something direct about it. Ditto for throwing the "groomer" phrase around. They'll mean it in a very specific way, and when you try to pin them down about it they'll dance away like a bunch of eye floaties in your vision. One thing I've also been observing here is what happens if you do the same thing right back at them. It turns out they are typically unaware of what is going on and get caught in a "loop" when that happens.

The Internet Troll - Right wing social media discourse is by and large driven by trolling, particularly as of late. It's not so much about proving themselves right or coming up with productive solutions but instead "owning the libs". A lot of the toxic masculinity wrapped up in conservatism gets projected online. This manifests as a pattern where caring about others, empathy, vulnerability, uncertainty, etc are seen as weakness and attacked. Currently a common target has been people upset that Musk bought Twitter. These people get portrayed as weak cowards, unjustly protected by Twitter's previous administration and now fair game. I definitely saw this pattern play out early on in SA as well-simply caring about, well anything would get you mercilessly mocked. Strength was associated with both apathy and misanthropy. That said, I find conservatives themselves pretty quick to call others bots and trolls (similar to the NPC meme a while back). They can be surprisingly thin skinned as well. I noticed that being suitably annoying and persistent they can start whining that you are harassing them, and block/mute you.

Pronouns in bio- This is another puzzling and annoying thing I saw happen over the past few years on Twitter. If a person has pronouns listed in their bio there's almost a race to see who can dismiss them for it. It's such a weak, played out dig at someone. Now mind you I'm not shocked at how cruel and crass people can be online but rather... Disappointed in how uncreative they are about it. How do they expect you to respond to this? The same way we respond to a skunk flipping it's tail up menacingly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
And yes, before anyone brings it up I'm aware of the

quote:

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
quote. I'm aware they are acting in bad faith but beyond that they can be weirdly inconsistent in their willingness to pull this.

Like sometimes the mask slips and you see some sincere feelings from them. I'm curious about what it takes to get this out of them.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
first post

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
reserved

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
reserved

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
reserved

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
reserved

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Good post op

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
bu,p

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

sounds p serious op

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

reserved

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

paul_soccer12 posted:

reserved

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Karl Barks posted:

Good post op

Buck Wildman posted:

sounds p serious op

been saying this

Asklance
Nov 21, 2022

Panfilo posted:

This manifests as a pattern where caring about others, empathy, vulnerability, uncertainty, etc are seen as weakness and attacked.
Can't wait to work out a way to counter this, here in the most empathetic and caring forums on the web.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my favorite right wing culture is them posting pictures of the little baby groyper and the aspergers girl going on dates

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Asklance posted:

Can't wait to work out a way to counter this, here in the most empathetic and caring forums on the web.

Shut the gently caress up nerd

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Asklance posted:

Welcome back

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

lobster shirt posted:

my favorite right wing culture is them posting pictures of the little baby groyper and the aspergers girl going on dates

That is so weird. Isn't the lady supposed to be some actual person on the internet who is obsessed neurodivergent fascist twelve year olds?

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
hm...

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Panfilo posted:

That is so weird. Isn't the lady supposed to be some actual person on the internet who is obsessed neurodivergent fascist twelve year olds?

Aimee Therese, Australian "post leftist" and fashion plate. Her posting career has amounted to posting soyjacks and macros of her doting on infantile pepes.

Asklance
Nov 21, 2022

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

That sounds like a bad time but my advice is to listen to your mental health providers and not some idiots on a dead web 1.0 comedy forum.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Now mind you I'm not shocked at how cruel and crass people can be online but rather... Disappointed in how uncreative they are about it. How do they expect you to respond to this? The same way we respond to a skunk flipping it's tail up menacingly?
i believe in the power of immanent critique, to be presuppositionless and let things be their own undoing.

the structure and incentives of a platform also shape behavior and the culture of the platform, like how reddit's upvotes produce a particular culture there, how SA's system produces a particular culture that is unlike reddit or twitter or 4chan. politically, the left and right can be both shaped by twitter's structural and platform incentives and so ideologies on both the left and right express themselves in ways that bend to those incentives (instant gratification and spectacle), but i think it's more common on the right, as they tend to be idealists and not materialists and social media is where politics go to de-materialize.

in the past few weeks we've see this (not very popular, but well-meaning if contrarian) viewpoint among some liberals that "we should stay on twitter and fight." but the metrics of success on twitter are not necessarily the metrics of success the left in particular should consider to be the most important for their movement. and i think just dropping out of the game altogether is not particularly "radical" but being able to drop it demonstrates more political will and independence of mind and spirit than staying up all night posting because the war will be lost if you don't. that war just isn't our war.

there has also been this debate about "should leftists go on tucker carlson." the problem is that carlson wants leftists to go on there to attack AOC from the left, and within its own scope that leftist could be right. but that's not the reason why carlson is having such a leftist on his show, he wants to take her down "from the left" to help move the country in a reactionary direction. so what can seem like a left-wing course of action in form can be right-wing in essence. i don't think that means a leftist should never go on the show. there was one example where it worked well i think, which was christian smalls going on there to push the amazon union while brushing off carlson's attempts to bait him into doing what i just described -- that is he hijacked the platform and used it for his purposes instead of doing what carlson "wanted him to do," even though he could've gotten more attention if he just blasted AOC about it. his metrics of success were not the same as carlson's.

which is also the only reason to use twitter in a political way as far as i see it. you could use it to spread propaganda but what twitter counts as successful isn't what i think we should necessarily consider to be successful.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

you should pack it back up op, consider playing video games or maybe go for a nice bicycle ride

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Currently a common target has been people upset that Musk bought Twitter. These people get portrayed as weak cowards, unjustly protected by Twitter's previous administration and now fair game.
see, here, the reason they're like this is because musk's right-wing acolytes are not as successful as they think they should be according to twitter's own logic. they're not getting as much engagement as they think they should, and other people on the site aren't seeing their hilarious m'lady tweets which obviously (to them) deserve to be popular. and it's all because of a conspiracy by pink-haired lesbians who throttled them -- and now they're throwing them off! but this whole time they've taken those metrics as the standard of success more seriously than anyone else.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Welcome back again. I'm begging you to stay under the radar this time

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i believe in the power of immanent critique, to be presuppositionless and let things be their own undoing.

the structure and incentives of a platform also shape behavior and the culture of the platform, like how reddit's upvotes produce a particular culture there, how SA's system produces a particular culture that is unlike reddit or twitter or 4chan. politically, the left and right can be both shaped by twitter's structural and platform incentives and so ideologies on both the left and right express themselves in ways that bend to those incentives (instant gratification and spectacle), but i think it's more common on the right, as they tend to be idealists and not materialists and social media is where politics go to de-materialize.

in the past few weeks we've see this (not very popular, but well-meaning if contrarian) viewpoint among some liberals that "we should stay on twitter and fight." but the metrics of success on twitter are not necessarily the metrics of success the left in particular should consider to be the most important for their movement. and i think just dropping out of the game altogether is not particularly "radical" but being able to drop it demonstrates more political will and independence of mind and spirit than staying up all night posting because the war will be lost if you don't. that war just isn't our war.

there has also been this debate about "should leftists go on tucker carlson." the problem is that carlson wants leftists to go on there to attack AOC from the left, and within its own scope that leftist could be right. but that's not the reason why carlson is having such a leftist on his show, he wants to take her down "from the left" to help move the country in a reactionary direction. so what can seem like a left-wing course of action in form can be right-wing in essence. i don't think that means a leftist should never go on the show. there was one example where it worked well i think, which was christian smalls going on there to push the amazon union while brushing off carlson's attempts to bait him into doing what i just described -- that is he hijacked the platform and used it for his purposes instead of doing what carlson "wanted him to do," even though he could've gotten more attention if he just blasted AOC about it. his metrics of success were not the same as carlson's.

which is also the only reason to use twitter in a political way as far as i see it. you could use it to spread propaganda but what twitter counts as successful isn't what i think we should necessarily consider to be successful.
I think in a sense it's less about "winning" and "losing" the Battle of Twitter but rather making the right think they are losing. They're so buried in distorted ways of thinking you're never going to logic them into leaving, and it's been proven we can't rely on the internet Hall Monitors to take care of the problem either. It has to be about pushing the narrative in a way that reinforces their own sense of waning relavence.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

see, here, the reason they're like this is because musk's right-wing acolytes are not as successful as they think they should be according to twitter's own logic. they're not getting as much engagement as they think they should, and other people on the site aren't seeing their hilarious m'lady tweets which obviously (to them) deserve to be popular. and it's all because of a conspiracy by pink-haired lesbians who throttled them -- and now they're throwing them off! but this whole time they've taken those metrics as the standard of success more seriously than anyone else.

According to Musk Twitter's user activity has been at an all time high (whether or not that is true is another matter) and a lot of supporters breathlessly insist Musk's takeover has been a big improvement overall. But do they deep down believe this?

USS Liberty
Nov 9, 2022

by vyelkin
Idc op

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 105 days!
call me crazy but i dont think the right is going to swallow a doomed narrative until they actually have some opposition they can lose to

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
bump

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
As some time has passed since Musk took over Twitter, I'm curious how people have observed things evolving. Is it typical of right wing online discourse or something new? How differently do right wingers behave in mixed spaces vs echo chambers?

How quick are they to turn on one another when there's no more libs to trigger?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
one of the right-wingers he unbanned from twitter got arrested for human trafficking as a direct result of being allowed to tweet again, so I guess the Musk takeover is a land of contrasts

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
bump

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 105 days!
keep honking, im unpacking

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
bump

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i am extremely mad today when i went to denny's to buy chicken wings they gave me only 2 wings and they were a left and right wing.. wokeness has gone too far

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the heart is on the left

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
I mean wow this is still just a lot to unpack, I mean …wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

more and more people are saying this