Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are multivitamins a scam?
Yes
No
Goku (who notably does not take a multivitamin)
View Results

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I like expensive pee, so, in my case no, but only b/c that's my fetish don't peeshame me.

If you are deficient in something it makes sense to not be deficient in it but also that's something that can be confirmed clinically with bloodwork. I was on a vit-D supplement for a while.

Multivitamins are a hodgepodge of poo poo that may or may not be in a form which is particularly bioavailable, which you may or may not be deficient in, and which you may or may not actually metabolize well even if you are deficient because the FDA barely looks at this poo poo beyond "you can't put CURES DISEASES! on the label, or we'll come own you".

That said, it's still the basic standard of care at least in the US to suggest that pregnant and postnatal women take specific vitamins, but, I think that may come down to Americans generally having poo poo diets and doctors thinking it's easier to get stressed out people to take a pill than completely reinvent their diet.

Now, if we're talking supplements in general -- magnesium in a highly absorbable form is something that maybe more people should take because maybe most americans are pretty deficient (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5786912/, https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/study-half-of-all-americans-are-magnesium-deficient), but that's not some magic random thing that just happened, it's because not only do our diets suck, our farming practices suck even more and so foods we typically think of as high in magnesium (green leafy vegetables) may actually not be (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7649274/) and that's just down to :capitalism: and modern agriculture in general being completely incompatible with "sustainability".

I used to have a lot of muscle tics and tremors. Went away after magnesium supplementation, which was only a thing I thought of because an MD said "hey, you're exhibiting all the signs of mag deficiency and this is cheap and basically harmless to try". I no longer use it on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Mozi posted:

that's weird, when i went to the market and asked the stocking person for some Super D what he showed me didn't look anything like that

shopping at Shaw's again near closing, I assume. I keep telling you Hannaford has far fewer of these problems