Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TDepressionEarl posted:

I'll miss the early fixtures

Lousy West Asian World Cup doesn't even have start times that work for Asia.

it's outrageous, op

2am kickoffs are the real human rights violation here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Haha what a dickhead

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

drat, he thirsty for that record

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ephex posted:

drat, he thirsty for that record

Which record?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Shrapnig posted:

Which record?

Eusebio

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/tomhamiltonespn/status/1597549253529767936

I love this story more and more.

quote:

Technology in the match ball used at the World Cup proved conclusively that Cristiano Ronaldo did not make any contact with the ball for Portugal's opener in their 2-0 win over Uruguay on Monday, FIFA and ball manufacturers adidas have confirmed to ESPN.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Of course someone happens to go from day 9-11 when the us is scheduled to play lmao

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This is so pointless it fits Ronaldo perfectly

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

I have been reliably informed by football knowers that England stinking the place out against the USA was actually tactically astute and it would have been naive to make an attempt to score goals and win the game. Far better to need a result against a local rival with something to prove

For gridiron knowers this is like when the saints and the falcons suck out loud all year and then beat the gently caress out of each other

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Also lol, what is the evidence. Is there a hair mark on the ball

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Advanced FIFA zoom and enhance machines

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

"Ronaldo's tantrums exceed 70dB when he's truthfully mad and trust me no one here is sleeping"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Advanced FIFA zoom and enhance machines

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Ron Atkinson: hates silly machines

Ron Aldo: please do look and play with all your silly machines as much as you like

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lies

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lmfao

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
but its also funny that that goal wouldnt have gone in if he werent there to do his accidental pantomiming. he truly is a god tier mascot for us.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
the funniest thing is that if he'd actually touched the ball, he would have celebrated normally

but instead his celebration was running around claiming he'd scored - totally normal behaviour

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

sometimes its about the balls you don't touch

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

the sex ghost posted:

Human rights investigators at the human rights world cup have discovered everyone has loads of human rights, the most human rights. We love human rights don't we folks

The human rights investigation team has also been disbanded

Good job everyone, we did it.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Also lol, what is the evidence. Is there a hair mark on the ball

There was no trace of either Fop or Dapper Dan hair pomade.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

big ron wouldn't fib

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I hope the US can win a game at this World Cup, but Iran is pretty tough

Edit: also LOL Ronaldo

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

I am also here to sledge a welsh, please make yourselves known.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am already mad that there isn't a constant stream of games. gently caress.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I would like "The Netherlands" to score about 35 goals today and I just hope everyone has fun in the other match.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
he should've used his hand like Maradona

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

psyer posted:

I posted it in another thread but here are the outcome chart to watch out for today.

:stare:

They have played us for absolute fools

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

vyelkin posted:

he should've used his hand like Maradona

That would have certainly left less DNA evidence

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
big harry kane energy

weird guy
Jul 19, 2022

by Azathoth
do they always have these kinds of intros to the game?

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Disgusting. Media doing everything humanly possible to take it away from him. Wouldn’t happen with any other player.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ecuador Senegal
Referee: Clément TURPIN (FRA)
VAR: Jérôme Brisard (FRA)

Turpin makes his return after Uruguay / South Korea. I don't particularly remember that match, but this match was basically saying "UEFA ref, please" and only Turpin and Vincic were on 3+ days rest that hadn't worked group A so the appointment makes sense.

Qatar Netherlands
Referee: Bakary GASSAMA (GAM)
VAR: Redouane Jiyed (MAR)

At the last world cup, no referee made their debut on MD3, but not a problem them time around. This is his third world cup. His first, 2014, he worked a single MD3 match, Netherlands Chile. In 2018, he worked Peru Denmark in the group. Based on that? He is probably going to be one and done again unless he knocks it out of the park.

Wales England
Referee: Slavko VINCIC (SVN)
VAR: Marco Fritz (GER)

Another match needing a UEFA referee, another they chose long rest. He worked Argentina Saudi Arabia previously, 6 yellows, a penalty, and 2 VAR interventions (the penalty and offside). He's been paired with a different VAR from that match, although that's not a super duper big deal.

Iran United States
Referee: Antonio MATEU LAHOZ (ESP)
VAR: Juan Martinez Munuera (ESP)

Mateu Lahoz worked Qatar Senegal before this. I can't help but feel he's being put out there as kind of a sacrifice - he's going to successfully see the match completed, but it may damage his ability to work later. Mateu Lahoz, historically, referees by letting a lot of the little stuff go and just managing and it, and... players just accept it. It's always struck me as the darndest thing because it seems like he's letting simple fouls go and no one really complains, everyone just gets on with it. Obviously, it's the mark of a very good referee. However, the US, as much as I might like to pretend they are above it, can CONCACAF it up with the best of them, and Iran seem like they aren't above it themselves. So this game could go sideways in a way that makes Mateu Lahoz un-appointable later in the tournament. But if he's successful here, he may have a big match marked for himself down the road.

edit: every time I remember Mateu Lahoz did this I laugh

https://twitter.com/jdnalton/status/1398736474552651776

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I love Mateu Lahoz and I'm always happy to see that eccentric weirdo reffing matches

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

psyer posted:

I posted it in another thread but here are the outcome chart to watch out for today.

hmm yes i totally understand

just a joke op those are very nice

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
as always, vamos el tri

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Senegalol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ooof I thought the red bandage thing the Qatari player had on his fingers was blood for a second there

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Senegal will be wanting to score one of these great chances

Also fun learning where they hide ITV4 HD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao what a miss