Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love cool tools. we need a thread to talk about cool tools.

today i got a nice tap wrench with sliding jaws to replace my old lovely kind with the stepped flexy jaws that never grip taps properly. it isn't as fancy as a starrett or anything, but it feels nice and solid and is machined well. looking forward to tapping some holes!

post itt about cool tools you have like or have gotten. what is your favorite tool? electronic tools are ok too but this is mostly about nice heavy metal things that feel good and do good jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Fujiya Kurokin 770-150BG cutters

I upgraded and cycled out a bunch of my tools a couple months ago, got these nice cutters and they're the best goddamned side cutters I've ever used.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my tools are old. I have a hammer. saws. lots of tools. tools are good. tools are important. some people like the band tool. I never really got into them back in the day. tool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Queadlunn posted:

Fujiya Kurokin 770-150BG cutters

I upgraded and cycled out a bunch of my tools a couple months ago, got these nice cutters and they're the best goddamned side cutters I've ever used.

nice! i could probably use some new side cutters. right now i have an old set that i got at a yard sale that are quite elegant, but getting dull and i'm not sure if there is enough metal left to sharpen them properly.

here are a few more of my tools i really like

mitutoyo digital caliper. in college i got my first vernier caliper and i still have it and love it. i also have a dial caliper, but i eventually dropped it and it broke. i hated digital calipers for the longest time because i had only ever used lovely ones and i thought they were all that bad. this one is magnificent.

it is of course extremely well made, but more importantly it (1) does not lose power randomly, (2) does not lose its zeroing when shut off or power is removed, (3) updates extremely fast, and (4) has no power draw when off so the battery lasts forever. it's lovely.

i also like these wera screwdrivers.

i prefer to not use philips or flat where possible, but if you have to, these are the best drivers you can get. they are laser etched on the tips so they grip really strongly and don't slip. they are the best thing to use on sketchy or partially stripped heads. they are also electrically insulated to 1000v and have nice comfortable handles. and yes, rotor, they do have robertson.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 30, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love good tools

and can’t stand lovely scissors

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Getting by with crummy tools for ages and then upgrading to good tools = literally the best feeling ever

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
idk if tori needs his own thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

[ASK] me about the time i spent like 8 hours sweating and swearing trying to pull a bearing from a motorcycle wheel using every combination of the wrong tools i had, then finally gave up and drove to harbor freight and got a 30 dollar slide hammer, then came back and popped it out in literally 20 seconds.

even cheap tools can be great when they're the right tool for the job.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
these are the official yospos wire strippers

you cannot find a better one for $13 shipped

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

i also like these wera screwdrivers.

i prefer to not use philips or flat where possible, but if you have to, these are the best drivers you can get. they are laser etched on the tips so they grip really strongly and don't slip. they are the best thing to use on sketchy or partially stripped heads. they are also electrically insulated to 1000v and have nice comfortable handles. and yes, rotor, they do have robertson.
Nice!

I love Wera's stuff, I've been filling out a set, of mostly torx since that's what I try to use in my projects. I used to use Wiha insulated drivers but they're really hard to find these days...

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i like my shaper

https://i.imgur.com/wmkO3Uy.mp4

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s u

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

there was a bike coop in my old college town which was neat. they had all the tools you need for bikes, so like basic drivers, chain wrenches, truing stands, etc. at some point i needed a bottom bracket tool to so i bought one and donated it to the coop.

you could build a bike from their scrap pile which was fun. it was all 100% free, except if you bought like new cables or a tube or something.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

good pliers: https://www.knipex.com
it's a german company that started out making tools for blacksmithing then started specializing in pliers and other tools

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i have a little mini sized version of those knipex parallel jaw pliers and i really like em

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

good thread idea!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ah, a containment thread, good idea

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

good thread idea!

i get around this by just using js, css and images and none of the other crap

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

rotor posted:

how are you avoiding html

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

VSOKUL girl posted:

how are you avoiding html

that wasn't in the diagram so i didnt mention it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

how is it possible to avoid *squints* .jade files???

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

how is it possible to avoid *squints* .jade files???

thats just how good i am. No .jade, no .less, no .coffee, not even any .ts! Because you dont actually need that poo poo.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
someone recommended green bell in here so i got a pair of g-1008s and those monsters are no joke

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s not truly in the spirit of the thread but I wanna give a shout-out to mains powered electric drills

the virgin cordless drill operating at a couple dozen volts at best, barely able to get thru 13 holes in some drywall

vs

the chad corded drill operating at 240v and ready to drill satan a third rear end in a top hat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a drill with a 2:1 reduction drive and it can easily turn over a big block chevy. thing will blast through anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

it’s not truly in the spirit of the thread but I wanna give a shout-out to mains powered electric drills

the virgin cordless drill operating at a couple dozen volts at best, barely able to get thru 13 holes in some drywall

vs

the chad corded drill operating at 240v and ready to drill satan a third rear end in a top hat

idk man. modern brushless lithium cordless tools are beastly. like yeah there are certainly benefits to corded tools, but 13 holes in drywall? come on. i have a makita cordless drill that will happily chew through brick on the hammer setting like there's nothing there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The brushless setups are sick but i still have fear of vendor lock-in and i KNOW for a FACT that the month after i spend $500 on brushless tools that the line will be discontinued and I'll be hosed. 120v 60hz is always there.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

The brushless setups are sick but i still have fear of vendor lock-in and i KNOW for a FACT that the month after i spend $500 on brushless tools that the line will be discontinued and I'll be hosed. 120v 60hz is always there.

not if you move to yurope

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

[ASK] me about the time i spent like 8 hours sweating and swearing trying to pull a bearing from a motorcycle wheel using every combination of the wrong tools i had, then finally gave up and drove to harbor freight and got a 30 dollar slide hammer, then came back and popped it out in literally 20 seconds.

even cheap tools can be great when they're the right tool for the job.

me when i was trying to compress the rear brake pistons on a dodge caravan

you gotta apply pressure while twisting the piston at the same time because it's a threaded piston for some reason?? doing it without the correct tool took me hours and a lot of busted knuckles and hand cramps. rented the tool next time i had to do it and it took 10 minutes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

polyester concept posted:

me when i was trying to compress the rear brake pistons on a dodge caravan

you gotta apply pressure while twisting the piston at the same time because it's a threaded piston for some reason?? doing it without the correct tool took me hours and a lot of busted knuckles and hand cramps. rented the tool next time i had to do it and it took 10 minutes

ever try to remove screws from wood with your bare hands? its funny how that works. a tool fit for purpose sometimes actually makes a job easier

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fart simpson posted:

ever try to remove screws from wood with your bare hands? its funny how that works. a tool fit for purpose sometimes actually makes a job easier

"gently caress that, i am sure i can cobble something together using the poo poo i have in the garage instead" - a complete fool

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i just bought a litre of shimano mineral oil

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

polyester concept posted:

"gently caress that, i am sure i can cobble something together using the poo poo i have in the garage instead" - a complete fool

the guitarist in my band tried unscrewing something with a knife because he didnt have a screwdriver handy, at our last gig. now he has 3 stitches in his fretting hand lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
knives can sometimes be sharp and the experts say you should only use knives with handles

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

knives can sometimes be sharp and the experts say you should only use knives with handles

not with pedals?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
currently my workshop is 4000 miles away, but my most yospos tool is probably this

paired with a 1000w Raycus fibre laser

or more likely the Stuabli RX90

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i really want a robot arm for the shop but we've never been able to justify it. our standard curriculum maxes out at 3-axis machining and we can't argue that we need a $50,000 robot arm that will be used by one grad student and two keen undergrads per year.

but i really want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
build one and make a youtube channel for it