Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that looks sick

the buttons are the only good thing about this. otherwise it’s kinda ordinary. oh well still a score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

oh are calcs tools. I'm an hp calc guy, used to have a 48sx and a gx but the gx screen got smashed and I hosed up both of them trying to swap screens because they're really not made to be fixed easily. the screens are held in by these twist tabs and use those conductive rubber strips, and if you break a twist tab (you will break a twist tab) it is impossible to fix. anyway i got a 32sii recently and it's great. fantastic key-feel.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
hp32 is the best calculator imo

like the 48s were amazing but at that point come on, just drag out your laptop.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
nah the 48SX is still amazing for just pulling out and running some numbers, even complicated ones—enough so that I bought one for my wife

also gets such good battery life that the last set of batteries in my 48SX started to leak even though it’s been operating fine

I actually find models like the 16C and 32S difficult to use because I’m just so used to seeing rather than remembering the stack and using that for cues as to what operation is next

that said the 16C is really goddamn awesome and so is the SwissMicros 42S

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i guess im just dumb babby, bc i cannot into rpn

the TI systems (89 etc) where you can just type in exactly what you want it to evaluate, parens and all, and it'll do the right thing are more my speed

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

RPN is the calculator equivalent of a Dvorak keyboard

...nobody actually believes its better, they just use it because they think it makes them interesting

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

eschaton posted:

I actually find models like the 16C and 32S difficult to use because I’m just so used to seeing rather than remembering the stack and using that for cues as to what operation is next

yeah same, I'd been using the 48 since like middle school so it's a bit of a change.

still want to get another 48 but man they're not cheap at all.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

RPN is the calculator equivalent of a Dvorak keyboard

...nobody actually believes its better, they just use it because they think it makes them interesting
one of my first jobs was at an investment bank and all the partners had hp48s on their desks but everyone under 40 just used excel

I think at this point the fact that you can't share your results, plus 4 level stack limit makes them primarily totems today

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
someone mentioned speedcrunch here a couple years ago, so that’s been my pc-based thing since then for stuff that’s not well suited to excel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Raluek posted:

someone mentioned speedcrunch here a couple years ago, so that’s been my pc-based thing since then for stuff that’s not well suited to excel

i use sage math for that stuff

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson posted:

i use sage math for that stuff

this looks good, but more powerful than i had in mind. speedcrunch is convenient in its simplicity

i use gnu octave for those more complex things because i used matlab more than mathematica in college

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i just use a python console

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

one of my first jobs was at an investment bank and all the partners had hp48s on their desks but everyone under 40 just used excel

I think at this point the fact that you can't share your results, plus 4 level stack limit makes them primarily totems today

what do you mean four level stack limit? you can use a hundred sixty kilobytes if you get a RAM card! you’re just limited to viewing a 4-line window…

also sharing is why the HP48 has an RS-232 port and Kermit built-in

the DOS “Program Development Link” package even includes an IDE for developing HP48 software interactively from the PC and stuff like that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Progressive JPEG posted:

i just use a python console

sage math is nice because you have notebook files that you can save and open again later in addition to all the more advanced built in math stuff like doing symbolic math and derivatives and integrals or w/e

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
came for the fart simp post, was not disappointed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the fart simp

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

the fart simp

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

the fart simp

it’s u

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is my tool

most people can see 3 things. most people can’t see 5 things. they have to count 5 things

I’ve trained my brain to be able to see 5 things. I count in 5s up to whatever. but I can see 5 things and I bet most of you can’t

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

this is my tool

most people can see 3 things. most people can’t see 5 things. they have to count 5 things

I’ve trained my brain to be able to see 5 things. I count in 5s up to whatever. but I can see 5 things and I bet most of you can’t

those are two things echi :rolleyes:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

this is my tool

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
phone numbers used to be “klondike 5 3762 because memorizing 6-7 digits would be impossible. then everyone did memorize a ton of 7 digit numbers, and now you are lucky if someone knows their own phone number.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bought a pipe wrench yesterday, its pretty tight

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

sounds like you need a pipe wrench wrench then

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

phone numbers used to be “klondike 5 3762 because memorizing 6-7 digits would be impossible. then everyone did memorize a ton of 7 digit numbers, and now you are lucky if someone knows their own phone number.

at my job I ask people for their phone number for their loyalty card and what amazes me is people in the 20-30 range who don’t have cards but ask if they can use their parents/partners and I say yes and then they recite their parents/partners phone number .. and this is a common occurrence

I do NOT know my mums or partners number. I know mine and for some reason a girl I had a crush on when I was 6 I still remember hers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you should call her

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
back when I was young we didn’t need to dial prefix codes or anything if it was local so her number was just 8900 so that’s all I remember

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

phone numbers you remember is not tool talk. please keep it on topic

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Sagebrush posted:

phone numbers you remember is not tool talk. please keep it on topic

ya. for example, I love my #7 Stanley jointer. it’s from 1899 and is a rare subtype that has grooves in the bed. they were supposed to help it have less friction but never caught on. I got it from a guy who restores planers and at the time was hoping that meant I didn’t need to learn sharpening. well, that didn’t last and I have a set of 4 diamond plates and a knockoff rolling set angle holder. it’s so heavy and solid and I love it as much as my cats

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

my parents got me an old #7 for christmas a couple years ago and i also love it

i've also got an old #5 stanley bedrock plane that has the grooves in the bed too. it used to be my grandpa's.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

diamond plates are real good. Theres also a Wen knockoff of the tormek grinder that takes the same jigs and is Quite Nice

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

here are the ones I have

right to left, the metal ones are a #7, #5, #4, #75, #9 1/2, and #78.

wooden ones i made and left to right are a kerfing plane, grooving plane, and router plane.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

rotor posted:

diamond plates are real good. Theres also a Wen knockoff of the tormek grinder that takes the same jigs and is Quite Nice

yeah, i just got a two sided 400/1000 plate off idk amazon or aliexpress or whatever for about $20 and along with a leather stop it gets my poo poo real fuckin sharp

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah, i just got a two sided 400/1000 plate off idk amazon or aliexpress or whatever for about $20 and along with a leather stop it gets my poo poo real fuckin sharp

the strop is what takes it across the finish line. My poo poo never felt sharp enough until i used one.

ps: the Wen grinder has a strop wheel on the other side of the wet stone

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Elder Postsman posted:

god it was so hard to decide if the cheap diamond plates were worth it, because the break in period is so weird and so reviews struggle to tell between break in time and the diamonds all immediately detached and it does nothing. ended up with a DMT 4 set for $200 and it’s been great. but I still think, what if ?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ive regretted buying expensive tools way less than ive regretted buying cheap tools

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i'm too poor to go buy cheap tools

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

rotor posted:

ive regretted buying expensive tools way less than ive regretted buying cheap tools

definitely. but god drat does it feel good to ride the line and get something for a good deal that does just what you need, especially if it’s rarely needed. harbor freight paradox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

love your work