Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Steak is the easiest loving thing in the world to cook. Let it get to room temperature, tenderize it, season it, sear it on high heat on both sides in a pan with butter.

Even if you just grab it right out of the fridge and throw it in a pan, it's still decent. :shrug:

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

ii find it hard to care about the way people make food. unless i'm eating it. steak guys especially are the worst.
Oops umm..

Op, if you actually measure the temperature of meat as you are "letting it get to room temperature" you'll realize it takes more than an hour to drop like only 3° from your refrigerated temp.

Tenderizing a streak with the spike end of a mallet or mechanically tenderized steaks need to be cooked well done, because it can introduce bacteria from the outside of the meat to the interior.

The rest of your steps are fine, but I prefer salting the steak open air on a wire rack 24 hours before I cook it and reverse searing (not that it matters you can sear first if you want, I just probe the temp to almost my desired doneness then superheat my Kamado grill to finish, or cast iron with butter like you said.

I also used to think poking a steak to flip it let all the juices out, it does let some out but it's negligible

That sears hold in the juices, not really, but pre salting the meat will allow it to cook faster to keep it juicier, otherwise you are kinda steaming it some to warm the center.

Sorry Hank hill flipping often is also good.

Food science people have measured these things and every steak tip I knew when I was younger is apparently a steak myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU