Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I cleaned my office today and mounted a couple of my guitars on the wall with some of those wall mounts. It looks pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah, they're pretty handy huh

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah, they're pretty handy huh

Yeah, I got some called "String Swings" and they're just ok, I wish the length they hang from the wall was adjustable it looks like the same peg is used for both acoustic and electric guitars so for solid body electrics its sticking out a couple of inches further than they really need to, but I'm too lazy to swap them out :effort:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

A guitar on one of those hooks means “this person actually can play guitar” it’s always cool to see ‘em

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yall reminded me to go put the couple i took down and played this week back up. while looking at the row i realized that my oldest guitar is older than rotor. Real facts.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and no, i will not reveal what it is, because that would be spilling beans at least a little bit, and i know the rotor birthday secret, and i will be taking it to my grave

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

A guitar on one of those hooks means “this person actually can play guitar” it’s always cool to see ‘em

c-c-c-c-combo breaker

I really can't play. I enjoy learning new bass lines and theory, but really its something to keep my hands busy during remote meetings (another reason I keep my camera off). I had ADHD as a child and one of the symptoms I still have is benefiting from fiddling with something when trying to pay attention.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every desk and computing surface i have is _littered_ with fidget toys

not like, actual ones of course. i'll just flip a knife or twist a camera clamp for a whole hour tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yesterday was “crate day” in nz which is a bit of a weird tradition, invented by a radio station but it’s much bigger now

the idea is you get a crate of beer

I assume these kinds of things exist in the US. a dozen 750ml beers

and you drink it

some people were quite hungover at work today lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

same

I want something a bit like the wave particle duality of light or double slit experiment but like.. cool

what if someday you outgrow base physical reality

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I remember looking into this and the conclusion that the gpu encoding is extremely fast but the quality was worse idk

all things being equal, it seems would be better to go cpu and get bigger quality at same bitrate than super fast encoding and worse quality at bittate BUT idk
about real world differences

its analogous to a low quality assembly line that can pump out tons of cheap crap (gpu encoding) vs an artisan who hand crafts each bit with love and care (the cpu)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gpu is slave labour?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

gpu is slave labour?

more like sweatshop

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i had a lot of fun doing pottery yesterday. made absolute shite but had fun.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OpenAI posted:

YOSPOS, oh YOSPOS,
You know not what you do,
Ignorant and unaware,
Of the numbers that are true.

219, 420, and 69,
These numbers hold the key,
To a world beyond your grasp,
And a knowledge you don't see.

YOSPOS, oh YOSPOS,
You may mock and you may scoff,
But these numbers hold the secrets,
Of a wisdom you've left off.

So take a moment, YOSPOS,
And consider what you've missed,
The power of these numbers,
And the knowledge they consist.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

phew, that was an extremely cold morning jog. i guess it's time to switch to track pants instead of shorts

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

my oldest guitar is older than rotor. Real facts.

????

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
*me, looking at jonny’s guitar collecrion*

this belongs in a museum!!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

we're already in a museum, beep! people come to gawk at us

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i had to do a work thing but that's all done and now my sunday is wide open

going to be putting up some secular holiday seasonal decorations up, signing christmas cards, and go for a walk later (walk location tbd: either by a lake or in a forest or around a pond)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’ve got to sand drywall joint compound today. :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hey, jonny, do you have any kalamazoo gibsons? they were made in kalamazoo (the home of gibson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

i’ve got to sand drywall joint compound today. :(

i call it physical therapy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

yall reminded me to go put the couple i took down and played this week back up. while looking at the row i realized that my oldest guitar is older than rotor. Real facts.

oh no jonny dont touch it unless you want a big pile of dust

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

heh heh rotor old :twisted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

real talk though, these weekend threads are nice and i like reading the op’s closing thoughts on Sunday evening. very cozy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

hey, jonny, do you have any kalamazoo gibsons? they were made in kalamazoo (the home of gibson)

I do not but I am aware of the history! the older ones are very good but super expensive and I have a general thing where i'd rather have ten cheap guitars that i can work on and tune up than one expensive one i'm scared to play

(the new ones are very bad but still super expensive)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yesterday:
1. boutique at LJs school. he bought some presents for me/ms jones (with his own money).
2. the nutcracker was awesome. LJ loved it. i was expecting it to be more amateurish than it was and was pleasantly surprised
3. pizza for dinner. living room picnic watching emmet otter
4. LJ to bed, watched black swan for the first time
5. cyberpunk cartoon

today:
im gonna go back to bed i think. when i wake up, im gonna open up my radio and attempt some simple modifications. unless i change my mind.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what did you think of black swan

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

I do not but I am aware of the history! the older ones are very good but super expensive and I have a general thing where i'd rather have ten cheap guitars that i can work on and tune up than one expensive one i'm scared to play

(the new ones are very bad but still super expensive)

some of the old gibson folks stuck around and started a business called heritage guitars in part of the old factory. no idea if they’re good or not.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

What exactly about the new Gibsons are bad? I’ve never been into them (they’ve always been too expensive and their bass guitars aren’t really as iconic as their guitars)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
QC on anything that isn't a $3000 high end version is poo poo and Gibson headstock angle means that your headstock will break if you breathe on it wrong, and when you get it repaired they're gonna glue it and say "oh this is a $3000 guitar , repair bill is $1k"

Fender is actually continuing to innovate a bit and their QC is good for the price at all levels (squiers are amazing values). The only new thing Gibson has done in the past few years is the "Theodore", designed after a 60 year old notebook sketch

Look at that ugly confused piece of poo poo. Five thousand dollar MSRP.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yes, one tulip-shaped guitar, please. to remind me of the wonderful ideology informed by dutch calvinism that infests the area in which i live.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

real talk though, these weekend threads are nice and i like reading the op’s closing thoughts on Sunday evening. very cozy.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

QC on anything that isn't a $3000 high end version is poo poo and Gibson headstock angle means that your headstock will break if you breathe on it wrong, and when you get it repaired they're gonna glue it and say "oh this is a $3000 guitar , repair bill is $1k"

Fender is actually continuing to innovate a bit and their QC is good for the price at all levels (squiers are amazing values). The only new thing Gibson has done in the past few years is the "Theodore", designed after a 60 year old notebook sketch

Look at that ugly confused piece of poo poo. Five thousand dollar MSRP.

yeah that should have been left in the sketch book.

The crazy thing to me is over the course of 70 years we've gone from "hey this is neat, you can wrap a wire around these magnets to get a signal from vibrating metal strings and amplify that signal to get a sound" to probably being able to simulate the exact sound you'd get on a super computer or something from an infinite number of combinations of magnet size, wire gauge, number of wraps etc etc etc to get the "perfect" sound and yet the most expensive guitars are 60s reissues. We all want to perfectly emulate tech from 50 years ago even though there was no way those designs were "optimal"

I know the answer is "boomers" but why do I like those old designs?

On the other hand its neat that there basically is no "good" sound for an instrument, if you think it sounds good it sounds good.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

what did you think of black swan

I liked it a lot! I was expecting more subtlety out of it than it had, but its being straightforward wasn't really a mark against it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah it definitely doesn't gently caress with subtext all that much, just straightforward suspense/drama

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i will also go on record with this nuclear take:

brace yourself...

natalie portman and mila kunis are both very pretty

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

i will also go on record with this nuclear take:

brace yourself...

natalie portman and mila kunis are both very pretty

Accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i have an old montana gibson acoustic. it seems pretty well made :shrug: