Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This game was the loving poo poo. Literally the precursor to the modern Grand Theft Auto franchise. Incredible storyline and world-building. Creepy music and setting. Cinematic, yet minimal cutscenes. Legitimately challenging battles with waves of enemies.

I never got past the second world (Java) as a kid, because I had no skills and also the game scared the bejeezus out of me. I've tried to go back and replay it, even going so far as to find and dust off my old N64, but the colour palette is especially grating - a lot of bright colours, specifically orange, and it does NOT look good on a new TV. But I've watched plenty of YT videos made by people actually dedicated enough to beat the whole thing, and it really is a solid work. I'd love to see it remade, although if they did it right, IDK if I'd honestly want to play it because it would be too scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_fa9jXXD4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Back in the day, I bought this game at a local store that only had like seven games for sale (pretty sure I also bought Clayfighter 63 1/3 there, regret). Body Harvest is cool as poo poo. The first level you get to drive a tank and get a mirror shield that shoots sun beams. Java was hard as heck but I'm pretty sure I sequence broke it by firing the elephant gun while in fanboat to jump a river.

I remember the mirror shield, you needed it to break some statue or something like that. And yeah, vaguely remember something about a gap that was just too wide to jump in Java, unless you had a specific vehicle (or were smart enough to figure out the elephant gun exploit). That may have been what made me give up on the game. If I were a couple of years older I'd probably have stuck it out.

The premise was super cool because each map was a big ol' sandbox at some significant period in history. Greece during the 1st world war, Java during the second, America in the 60s, Siberia at the fall of the Soviet Union. And then poo poo got real weird and you had to fight an evil clone of yourself on the alien comet.

I'd probably go back and try to play the whole thing if the colour palette wasn't so hard on the eyes. Those bugs were loving scary, too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

i must compose posted:

space station silicon valley

Oh gently caress yeah, this is another one I wish I had the patience to finish when I was a kid. This one seems to be memoryholed for a significant number of people; any time I've gotten into N64 nostalgia with friends and I bring it up people look at me like I'm insane. Incredibly cool concept, great sense of humour, great music.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jelly posted:

body harvest was okay but it was definitely not this

No, it literally is. DMA Design would later become Rockstar North, the game is obviously prototypical of the third-person carjacking sandbox style (obviously not the first two GTA games though), and as previously noted there are a handful of references to the game in the GTA series. The ice cream truck jingle, a mission in San Andreas literally called 'Body Harvest', etc.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah the box art was definitely a big part of why I bought it as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't get this post. It could be complete poo poo and still be the precursor to 3D GTA in terms of gameplay concepts, even if it weren't for the lineage of the studio. Did you think he was just saying "it's good" in a really convoluted way?

I'm not mad about it. I can totally see not knowing the games were related especially if you didn't know that AMD became Rockstar. I didn't know that until a few years ago and only in retrospect does it make so much sense.

Yes there absolutely was an 'invasion meter', I forgot about that. Apparently it was possible to beat the game without a single human lost, in which case you'd be treated to a cutscene of your pink-haired comrade giving you a smooch.