Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For newcomers to the series, there is a thread for the older Armored Core games on the Retro Games sub-board which gives recommended starting points. Might be good to add to the OP since a lot of Soulsborne fans will probably be interested in the series now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901774&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Brb im going into debt so i can be human plus

Sorry, this is a Fromsoft game. You only get to be human pus, and you like it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Finally. It's happening.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope we get to see our good friend Patches again

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Shardix posted:

Looking forward to Patch the Good Luck kicking me into a pit of Nineballs

RBA Starblade posted:

:hai: Hope we get Will Vanderpuye back as Patches.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

FROM's flagship mech series already featured a number of familiar design elements that would eventually come to define their award-winning fantasy games through the 2010s after the arrival and stewardship of director/president Hidetaka Miyazaki: a shattered social fabric, unconventional narrative delivery, nameless player characters, rpg-inspired customization, new game+, PVP, The Moonlight Blade! :grin:, and an ambiguous sense of purpose inside of a huge landscape of pragmatic war-makers, profiteers, space pirates, and violent thrill-seekers.
Beanpole please add Patches to the list of familiar design elements!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I have never played an Armored Core game before but as long as it's somewhat Souls-adjacent, I'm all in. The trailer was so good!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

MY TIME HAS COME

Fuckin AC is all I've been waiting for for so long

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder if they're gonna do PvP like the Souls games or do something like V and Verdict Day did

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
it's too bad it's so hard to give From Software money to play the older Armored Core games.

if you want to play For Answer and like me do not have a functional 360 or PS3, save yourself a bunch of wasted time perusing the shittiest websites on the internet, and just use the xenia emulator and find an Xbox 360 ROM of the game. you just open an ISO file with the emulator and it works perfectly.

it does look like it's possible to buy Verdict Day on the Xbox marketplace: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/ARMORED-CORE-VERDICT-DAY/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d0864

AC 5 has a marketplace link, but it doesn't seem like you can buy the game: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Armored-Core-V/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d084f

can't find any of the other games, and there is absolutely nothing on the playstation store

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Really it'd be weirder if we don't.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Plot-twist: this is the elden ring dlc.

Trailer shows a giant meteor Fallingstar Beast crashing into the planet. :tinfoil:
That’s what happens when you put your faith in corporations to protect you from rogue asteroids instead of Radahn!

punished milkman posted:

it's too bad it's so hard to give From Software money to play the older Armored Core games.

if you want to play For Answer and like me do not have a functional 360 or PS3, save yourself a bunch of wasted time perusing the shittiest websites on the internet, and just use the xenia emulator and find an Xbox 360 ROM of the game. you just open an ISO file with the emulator and it works perfectly.

it does look like it's possible to buy Verdict Day on the Xbox marketplace: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/ARMORED-CORE-VERDICT-DAY/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d0864

AC 5 has a marketplace link, but it doesn't seem like you can buy the game: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Armored-Core-V/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d084f

can't find any of the other games, and there is absolutely nothing on the playstation store

Verdict Day is the only AC game available to download on the PS3 store. I think ACV had a big, big focus on PVP, so that not being available makes sense, but it stinks that 4 & 4A are not available.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr. Fortitude posted:

For newcomers to the series, there is a thread for the older Armored Core games on the Retro Games sub-board which gives recommended starting points. Might be good to add to the OP since a lot of Soulsborne fans will probably be interested in the series now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901774&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Is there a plot we’ll need to understand, or can we come in blind with this as the first one?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

Is there a plot we’ll need to understand, or can we come in blind with this as the first one?

The series has rebooted itself several times so no one knows what VI will do

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Literally dug my 360 out and got it plugged and have a copy of for answer on its way for me tomorrow. In the meantime,i played some of it on rcps3 and so far its incredible. Only armored cores i played were 1 and 3, and god i forgot how good from soft is at making fast action games. I never liked any of the souls games so im insanely stoked if fires of rubicon is going to be similar to this.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I am excited for Robits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I have now completed Chapter 2 of AC4. I was not very good until I switched to quad-legs and a laser sword and became a wrecking ball.
They keep mentioning White Africa. 0_0

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basticle posted:

The series has rebooted itself several times so no one knows what VI will do

Cool. Cheers. Hell, I trust From to at least make something interesting, and I don’t understand half their plots anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That trailer for AC6 was so masterfully crafted. I enjoyed listening to the VGA crowd's reaction to it, especially when the From logo dropped and everyone instantly realized it was an Armored Core game.

Hopefully From puts what they've learned from the Souls and Elden Ring games into 6, because I fell off super hard with Armored Core 5/Verdict Day.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's such an insanely good trailer. I haven't touched the series and here I am hyped out of my mind. I've never seen mecha this cold and robotic emit so much mood. The shots of the mech defiantly shielding a barrage of incoming fire, recovering from its dash-thrust attack over the wreckage of what it just destroyed, and putting on its visor mid flight are incredible images that remain stuck in my mind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

acksplode posted:

It's such an insanely good trailer. I haven't touched the series and here I am hyped out of my mind. I've never seen mecha this cold and robotic emit so much mood. The shots of the mech defiantly shielding a barrage of incoming fire, recovering from its dash-thrust attack over the wreckage of what it just destroyed, and putting on its visor mid flight are incredible images that remain stuck in my mind.

You had all these trailers with slow covers of pop songs and generic story beats.

Then FROM jsut psoted mecha battles with something that sounds like Vangelis. Glorious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Will do. Thankd for this!

Pulcinella posted:

:hai: Hope we get Will Vanderpuye back as Patches.

Beanpole please add Patches to the list of familiar design elements!

Good god, yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2l-YezVI28

From's CG work for the Armored Core franchise has always been insanely well done, going right back to the first game itself in 97. The only downside is that these intros/trailers tend to be an idealized version of stuff From wants to do in each game, yet couldn't and usually winds up taking multiple years and games later before it's actually implemented. Hopefully there's been enough time in the near-decade between Verdict Day and now that From's able to actually implement all the cool poo poo shown off in the AC6 trailer in the game itself. I won't really hold my breath waiting to see though.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Armored Core was a series I've always been meaning to try, so the trailer for 6 really got me excited. I thought I could get the 360/PS3 ones to see how they are but the copies I found were $40 used :( . However, I did remember that I bought a copy of 2 back in college that I never played, and I was able to find it buried in storage bin! Hoping it still works.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Trying to play 1 again and this little red fucker in the parking garage is going to make me throw my console out the window.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Carmant posted:

Trying to play 1 again and this little red fucker in the parking garage is going to make me throw my console out the window.

He is an extreme bitch.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Depends really. Armored Core 2 and Another Age are sequels to Armored Core 1, Project Phantasma and Master of the Arena but it's like 100 years later.

Armored Core 3 and its sequels, Armored Core: Silent Line, Armored Core: Nexus, Armored Core: Nine Breaker, Armored Core: Formula Front & Armored Core: Last Raven are a rebooted continuity.

Armored Core 4 and For Answer are another rebooted continuity.

Armored Core 5 and Verdict Day are stealth sequels to Armored Core 4 and For Answer in that they take place in the same universe, but so far ahead in the future that you wouldn't know it unless you pick up on a few references. But regardless its still fairly standalone.

Generally speaking you can start from any generation of Armored Core and be fine. Even if 6 is a sequel to 5, it'll probably be another distant sequel you wouldn't pick up on without knowing the events of 5 and Verdict Day beforehand and tbh, so much time has passed and so many new From Software fans are now interested in Armored Core that it would make sense for 6 to be another reboot.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 11, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Depends really. Armored Core 2 and Another Age are sequels to Armored Core 1, Project Phantasma and Master of the Arena but it's like 100 years later.

Armored Core 3 and its sequels, Armored Core: Silent Line, Armored Core: Nexus, Armored Core: Nine Breaker, Armored Core: Formula Front & Armored Core: Last Raven are a rebooted continuity.

Armored Core 5 and Verdict Day are stealth sequels to Armored Core 4 and For Answer in that they take place in the same universe, but so far ahead in the future that you wouldn't know it unless you pick up on a few references. But regardless its still fairly standalone.

Generally speaking you can start from any generation of Armored Core and be fine. Even if 6 is a sequel to 5, it'll probably be another distant sequel you wouldn't pick up on without knowing the events of 5 and Verdict Day beforehand and tbh, so much time has passed and so many new From Software fans are now interested in Armored Core that it would make sense for 6 to be another reboot.

I agree it will be another reboot, but it would also be chaos hilarity if its a reboot of the original universe with like mars dropping phobos or deimos on earth or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

the trailer goes extremely hard, not just in the tease dept but that it feels so different from every other promo material right now. also, i know reaction vid culture is AIDS but i absolutely adore the way longtime fans of the series responded to the trailer, that's some wholesome content right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM8MRFIpONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpuBFFDJVSU

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

What was everyone's favorite leg type on the old games? I always loved the light reverse jointed ones, both aesthetically and for their jumping ability

I always grabbed the heaviest quad legs I could so I could carry around the heavy back-mounted weapons and still retain a little bit of mobility. Walking artillery platforms work pretty well in AC1-3, although I always felt like the game didn't really want me to do this.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I hope it's secretly in the Metal Wolf Chaos universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, basically aside from 2, every time there's a number in an Armored Core title, it signals a reboot and the plot goes until whenever the next numbered title drops.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Waffle Shake posted:

I always grabbed the heaviest quad legs I could so I could carry around the heavy back-mounted weapons and still retain a little bit of mobility. Walking artillery platforms work pretty well in AC1-3, although I always felt like the game didn't really want me to do this.

it as always fun swatting your friends fast mech out of the air with 200 missiles after he got bored of dodging the machine guns and made a run at you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waffle Shake posted:

quad-hover it was for NG, mobile 'nade launcher or chain gun was absolute tits in those scenarios. NG+ i'd be Human+ like 4 times over so i'd be rocking double 'nade launchers from mid air like a loving 15 year old spaz with those insane shoulder button pivot aim controls before analog was a thing, in those cases i always went for fashionmechs which was usually some variant of bipedal that looked the coolest, and also overheating like a freak because i insisted on carrying the beefy beam laser cannon as well #bless

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Some rumored Details on the setting, might be same universe as 4 and 5 but in another star system apparently? Basically so distant as to be a reboot

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's funny because most of the mech designs in the trailer remind me of AC1 over anything, especially in how mobility and weight is depicted in the sort of 'heavy' Pacific Rim/Titanfall/Mechwarrior style rather than the faster anime style of later games...aside from the huge leap from the quadrupedal mech. A lot of focus on dropships instead of overboost, I see AC1 helmet designs on that boosting mech in the last image, quads of course, Front Mission style pilebunkers, tank-platform legs, and ACs walking slow across the battlefield rather than zipping around.

I'm so here for it because the AC4 style kind of alienated me and felt a bit too DBZ for a hard sci-fi setting.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What are the chances of Nineball showing up in this

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

The Big Guy sadly hasn't shown up in anything mainline Armored Core related since his swan song in Ninebreaker, sadly. Would love to see him again for old time's sake though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

You'll go through a boss fog door and this will play.

https://youtu.be/YoGMJHbV4Wk

Source: Trust me, my uncle works at From Software.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I always had a fondness for the hover legs in Armored Core 3. I always felt like the handling on those was smoother than any of the more conventional leg sets. Of course, this ran into problems because those are very energy hungry, and I tended to favor laser rifles, because bullets are expensive, and my previous weapon choice of machine guns meant that ammunition costs were eating all of my profits. I should have learned to rifle, that was probably more cost effective, and I love that "what are the cost effective guns" was a consideration.

In Armored Core 4/4A, I mostly used a lightweight machine. Machine gun and grenade rifle in 4, machine gun arms and back-mounted grenade cannon in 4A. I swapped over to that one really early in 4 after learning that my prior tactics of "just tank through it" didn't work anymore, because things in 4 hit really loving hard.

As for the version, if you can get actual hardware, I would actually point more towards the PS3 version of AC4, just because that version lets you carry your save data forward to For Answer instead of making you start from scratch, although I must admit that I didn't have a PS3 at the time, and by the time I did I'd already long since played through 4A on my 360.

As for 6, I do kind of hope it's not quite as fast as 4 was. I'm getting on in years and I can't quite do the hyper-reflex twitch thing like I used to, and I wasn't super great at it even then! :v: Although if I had to pick my biggest wish feature, it'd be to do like Daemon X Machina did and make arms individual, and not sets. Making the arms be a matching set does make sense, I'll grant you, but it kind of puts a ding in the concept of backup weapons, because arms that are good at being sniping arms are probably not going to be super great at using a shotgun, or what have you. Or you can use an arm that's good with energy weapons and stick a hi-laser in that arm and have a bazooka or something in the off hand. And that's not getting into weapon arms and the fact that making them be a matching set kills flexibility: you can't mount a bazooka on one arm for the incredible firepower it provides and leave your other arm free for some flexibility, it's just That's What You Do. And I liked how DxM's pylons were a bit more flexible than AC5's hangar system, because you could grab either one with either arm (assuming it had a hand on the end, anyway; seeing as I just got done talking about weapon arms).

I'm honestly kind of hoping that big back weapons require you to kneel again in 6, because it felt like "you don't have to stop to use back cannons and such" was one of the big selling points to quads and treads, and it'd be nice to have that aspect back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Notably, a few Let's Plays have been posted in that thread over time:

I have found the Armored Core 4 LP to add to the OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819022