Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Away all Goats posted:

Played the tutorial mission and died twice to the boss. How screwed am I?

Also is there some kind of setting I need to change to set the game to show controller button prompts rather than the PC keybinds? Or do people prefer to play this with m+kb? Using an 8bitDo Ultimate

illegal entry boss is significantly more difficult than anything you'll face for the next several missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Captain Foo posted:

illegal entry boss is significantly more difficult than anything you'll face for the next several missions

Not only that, but because you have to use the default AC for it, many people find it's one of the trickier missions to get an S-Rank for. I think you'll get the hang of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah. I literally died to the tutorial boss again when I tried to S-rank it after beating the entire game. :shobon:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you do S Rank runs for Illegal Entry does it also remove your OST Chip upgrades?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Away all Goats posted:

That's normal. I think it took me 5-6 tries.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

You have to suffer the wrath of the rng gods in that one as well for when it decides to oob FOREVER multiple times because lol. You'll get it, don't worry.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PathAsc posted:

You have to suffer the wrath of the rng gods in that one as well for when it decides to oob FOREVER multiple times because lol. You'll get it, don't worry.

I was lucky enough that the boss decided to back itself into the building and just floundered there on my second try letting me wail on him.

On a completely different note, I just found out you get special dialogue if you wait to complete the simulation training tutorials until unlocking the final mission or two of NG++. :v:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

AlternateNu posted:

I was lucky enough that the boss decided to back itself into the building and just floundered there on my second try letting me wail on him.

On a completely different note, I just found out you get special dialogue if you wait to complete the simulation training tutorials until unlocking the final mission or two of NG++. :v:

Oh yeah, that's a fun little change, I laughed a ton lol

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Arc Hammer posted:

When you do S Rank runs for Illegal Entry does it also remove your OST Chip upgrades?

Yep, you're bone stock just like you first started the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Away all Goats posted:

Also is there some kind of setting I need to change to set the game to show controller button prompts rather than the PC keybinds? Or do people prefer to play this with m+kb? Using an 8bitDo Ultimate
There have been so many people who claimed they went hours and days on the tutorial boss lol

Don't worry about it if anything I think you're probably above average for the difficulty balancing. Although it seems like everyone gets road blocked by at least one boss and it really varies

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
The bosses are all hard checks on whether you're playing right, which in my case usually meant getting way more aggressive. For bosses after the first, it usually comes down to "can your loadout stagger them on an opening yes or no?"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, there is a manual toggle for that somewhere in the settings menu but it's not where you would expect.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I know the long shotguns were the poo poo but the long handguns seem even better and even a bit easier to use. Two handguns, a split missile launcher and a pile bunker makes me feel like a cool cowboy with a cattle gun (and missiles for some reason???) :clint:

There are so many fun builds in this game, I'm really impressed. And you can make dumb poo poo like an orbital missile platform that hardly ever has to land or a 4 gatling tank, neither of which are exactly fun but will certainly make you laugh.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Away all Goats posted:

Illegal Entry, on top of being legitimately hard as hell, is really a tutorial on Assault Boosting (with L3) - it's sufficiently fast and evasive to play keep away if you just try to hover in its direction, and your gun and missiles might as well be scratching the paint for all the good they do, though you shouldn't stop hitting those buttons either. With Assault Boost, you're moving too fast for the missiles or machine guns to deal significant damage, and just need to sidestep the dumbfire rockets. From there, you can probably score a stagger in two cycles of melee, and then chop it up some more. Holding the melee button gives you one strong chop with extra reach, but tapping gives you two light chops that deal more damage overall, so use that how you will.

By some miracle I managed to S-rank Illegal Entry on my first (re)run, so my only suggestion is to move fast and kill things, and Always Be Assault Boosting.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I tried replaying illegal entry for the first time and took down the helicopter in about a minute simply by being super aggressive and hitting it with the blade as much as possible. It feels counter-intuitive to prioritise using melee against a flying enemy, but it works and is super fun and satisfying.

First time round, i played instinctively like i would have an oldschool AC game, staying at midrange and boost-hopping a lot. It nearly worked, but the area-of-effect damage from the rockets took me down before i could chip the last 10% or so off the boss health bar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the loooong gap closer on the sword makes it great for flying enemies. It was a great realization to notice that it's not like Dark Souls where you have to wait for the lovely rear end in a top hat dragon to land so you can hit his nuts. You can boost up to the chopper and hit it in the cock pit any time!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

just slice off that helicopter's dick

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

EightFlyingCars posted:

just slice off that helicopter's dick

Man, the silent hill 2 remake goes places

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

yeah, I think now my problem is that I don't boost-hop enough anymore, or at least should make more use of erratic vertical movement in addition to strafing and quickboosting.
I never did get the hang of connecting with the pile bunker, but it looks like what I should do is wait for stagger, then QB rather than AB in while charging it, then basically bump into the target before releasing the trigger.
Both the chainsaw and pile bunker seem like they're crazy stagger-punish weapons, why would you pick one particularly over the other? Damage type, weight/damage output, or some nuance in the timing or hitbox?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Pile Bunker is one massive hit, while the chainsaw hits a bunch of times in quick succession. Digging in with the chainsaw is great for pushing enemies over the stagger line, and it will just keep going afterward. Meanwhile the Pile Bunker obliterates mechs that are already stunned, to the tune of ten thousand damage in one swing. As for picking one over the other, it really depends on when you'd rather use your melee, as a mean opener or a brutal finisher!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 24, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah. Charged pile bunker doesn't get the dash-in like non-charged does. So you have to be right up on them. Also, it doesn't track vertically...like...at all.

Something to think about is that AB kicking a stunned AC will reset the stun timer which depending on placement and boost available, may be what you need to get a charged pile bunker in.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. Charged pile bunker doesn't get the dash-in like non-charged does. So you have to be right up on them. Also, it doesn't track vertically...like...at all.

Something to think about is that AB kicking a stunned AC will reset the stun timer which depending on placement and boost available, may be what you need to get a charged pile bunker in.

NO WAY

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Charged PB doesn't inherently dash, but it maintains momentum if you QB or AB prior (latter will give you more distance). Practice it in the danger room.

Kicking into PB is not faster.

PB does have upwards vertical tracking, and a better one at that than most other melee weapons.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I beat this drat game 3 times already why am I itching for another play through? :psyduck:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Time to S-rank those missions Gun 13!

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
New tetras are good. Glad the shotguns got nerfed. Still not fond of the game. Glad folks are enjoying it.

Fivemarks posted:

Mind you, this is a person who doesn't, according to my memories, believe that the pre-4 games are "real" armored core either. This person is not just basically the second coming of Derek Smart, but also someone who was unhinged enough that I finally said "gently caress it" and cut them out of my life, and I'm happier for it.

Necro'd. Sup Fiver.

1. Pre-4 is absolutely ac. So if 5th. So is 6th. AC is as AC does.

2. I just don't like 6th and sour grape'd everywhere because butthurt (mid game after 10yrs + sad brain = more sad brain). I saw how not-normal my reaction was and took my brainworms out back and shot them. Ayre's fine, I'm just salty.

3. I have no idea who Derek Smart is.

4. You didn't cut me out of your life lol

e: I now know who Derek Smart is. jfc

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 25, 2024

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm gonna jump back on this week to clown on iguazu some more, game good very good

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My friend pointed out that the Elden Ring DLC's release date is pretty funny when you consider this game

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Quote is not edit!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Expo70 posted:

New tetras are good. Glad the shotguns got nerfed. Still not fond of the game. Glad folks are enjoying it.

Necro'd. Sup Fiver.

1. Pre-4 is absolutely ac. So if 5th. So is 6th. AC is as AC does.

2. I just don't like 6th and sour grape'd everywhere because butthurt (mid game after 10yrs + sad brain = more sad brain). I saw how not-normal my reaction was and took my brainworms out back and shot them. Ayre's fine, I'm just salty.

3. I have no idea who Derek Smart is.

4. You didn't cut me out of your life lol

e: I now know who Derek Smart is. jfc

Did you really just try to resume a five-month-old argument? WTF. Don't do this.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Just Iguaza posting, trying to start a sewing circle, that kinda thing.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

where's G1 Michigan when you need him

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

where's G1 Michigan when you need him

I hear he died of a bad fall. :patriot:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/armoredcoreSIX/status/1762050002745188505?t=dhznQOy4eTffM70iJGvPeA&s=19

If Elden Ring can get DLC two years after launch then anything is possible.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I hope they respect series tradition and do like Armored Core: Sixcess
Franchise, a whole rear end non-numbered game that beats the pants of the original.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sixcession

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Six and the Institute City

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Armored Core Six rear end

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

if they do make an ACVI dlc i hope it is hard as hell. pre-patch balteus was a highlight of all my time playing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i really wish i had the chance to play balteus ver. 1 because it isn't very threatening at all as long as you aren't literally leaving the controller on the floor