Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have maintained a soft boycott against Amazon forever, but this was apparently the first thing I could only find there so I caved.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
:lol:

Remember when the Internet was still kinda new and you couldn't just look up tutorials for everything instead of buying books?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have maintained a soft boycott against Amazon forever, but this was apparently the first thing I could only find there so I caved.

Hell yeah. AVP2 owned so hard.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
A year too early

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Leviathan Song posted:

I have a friend who met his wife by matching interests and messaging her on facebook.

I had a firstname.lastname gmail account.

I miss that internet.
This thread immediately reminded me of how I did not use Amazon until years after I had already started engaging in the magical world of e-commerce, as I used to get albums by TELNETTING in to CDconnection.com in the mid-1990s, and to this day I remain astounded that you could ever buy things over Telnet

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sigher posted:

Hell yeah. AVP2 owned so hard.

:hfive: It really sucks that it is stuck in licensing Hell and will probably never be rebooted. Easily one of the best games ever, both as single and multiplayer.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep, my first order was for bypassing the campus bookstore too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm also reminded of the time where it was better to buy a book to learn something than to try and read some lovely geocities site on a topic. With YouTube I can now learn cheap PLC ladder logic from an Indian with a thick accent overdubbed with royalty free music and the sound of a loud fan in the background.

That said, genuinely, I thank you Indian randos for covering super obscure topics that no one but 12 other people and myself care about. I thank them for their service.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:hfive: It really sucks that it is stuck in licensing Hell and will probably never be rebooted. Easily one of the best games ever, both as single and multiplayer.

I didn't have much luck with multiplayer because I think it used GameSpy and the netcode was pure trash plus my internet sucked, but I loved the single player campaigns. Really wish it could get a modern rerelease, I forgot what was so problematic about AVP2 where AVP1 didn't have any issue getting on Steam.

I'd kill for a remake.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
don't wanna talk about it

Reverend Stupid
Aug 7, 2003

I gotta believe!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
According to them I ordered The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh and the DVD of Seven on December 19, 1998

But I know I’d ordered books in 1996 or 1997

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

My first five orders show that as a person I have barely changed since I was 19

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

lol i still have a giant "unix power tools" book that i can't bring myself to throw out for some reason. i don't think i've opened it in 15 years.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It was the albums Fly By Night and Hemispheres by Rush. I ordered them in November of 2000. I hope this information has been helpful.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Reverend Stupid posted:

I gotta believe!

I bet if you make a stink they'd extend that return window

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

"I've ALMOST decided if I want to keep this PS2 game from 2002, I just need a few more weeks!!"

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Used copy of Hothouse by Brian Aldiss May 17, 2004.

Tolkien’s the Silmarillion paperback Feb 10, 2005

Vashti Bunyan Just Another Diamond Day on CD Mar 15, 2006

Reverend Stupid
Aug 7, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm sure they would.... A preowned copy on amazon is selling for $119 now!

https://www.amazon.com/PaRappa-Rapp...ps%2C231&sr=8-3

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

2004 Rise of Nations PC game. It was pretty good.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Am I earliest so far or has somebody else got Nov. 2000 beaten?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Mine was September 2000 but there are a few people with purchases from the 1990s.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Mine was September 2000 but there are a few people with purchases from the 1990s.

Whoa i worship those people

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Glorious.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Apparently it was Placebo - Soulmates Never Die live concert dvd in September 2004.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Smugworth posted:

:agesilaus:

The series sucked tho

3rd post
get rekt

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Smugworth posted:

3rd post
get rekt

Nooooooooooo

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

hmm. pretty lamew

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Smugworth posted:

3rd post
get rekt

I agree the series sucked though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Zune deserved better

It was the last standalone .MP3 player I really liked. Even though I have to acknowledge I have appreciated my now like 10-year-old FiiO X1 player many a time when I was somewhere with no cell service, a problem I definitely thought we would have eliminated by 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

The Zune deserved better

It was the last standalone .MP3 player I really liked. Even though I have to acknowledge I have appreciated my now like 10-year-old FiiO X1 player many a time when I was somewhere with no cell service, a problem I definitely thought we would have eliminated by 2022

You are aware that you can store mp3s on your phone, right?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:chanpop:

I used to do that but I would inevitably run out of space immediately and then get mad having to decide between songs and barely-used programs. I suspect this would no longer be a problem with modern phones but I mean, I already have the player with 60 gigabytes of all my top pre-2013 jams

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

My first one was in 1999 or 2000, I think. I was maybe 14, 15 probably not yet 16. For some reason I had my father's credit card information, and he had kinda/sorta given me permission to order a book online. It was The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore.

When the book arrived, dad forgot he had given me permission (or uhhh maybe he just never did) and I was in a lot of trouble but also because it was a book I think my dad felt like, at least this isn't a video game and didn't take it away from me.

credburn fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 10, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When The Blair Witch Project came out I ordered the accompanying book, and 2 weeks later I received a random road map for some place. So about the usual experience even then.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

that lube still good?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah maybe if you want to rely on a lovely DAC and an amp that barely even exists. True audiophiles use a dedicated player when on the go

https://us.astellnkern.com/collections/portables/products/a-ultima-sp3000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was curious about this and I can't say I'm surprised

College :allears: