Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Rumor is Lizzy is dropping the binding and leaping boots so that's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kongming posted:

Take this type of poo poo to their discord server with all the other sycophants, lmao. Pathetic.

You can bitch about the game as much as you want I got loving black screen shadow realmed multiple times last night and it sucked but saying they don't know what they're doing is some sad poo poo. You fuckin fix it then if it's so easy you entitled dipshit. Boo hoo my loving free video game isn't working perfectly all the time. You're like the wow players who tearfully demand a month of free game time when the servers poo poo out on expansion day except that blizzard has a goddamn budget, orders of magnitude more devs and the players are actively paying for that poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Settle down, Beavis.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Glagha posted:

You can bitch about the game as much as you want I got loving black screen shadow realmed multiple times last night

I got that during my first week of play too but found a patch on the discord. You download it, open the .exe, target the Horizon.exe, run the patch, and then you're done. Never loaded into black voids again. IIRC it's a 8 GB ram patch or something, don't recall the name of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They at least seem to have fixed the login issues so getting stuck while zoning is only a minor inconvenience.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Glagha posted:

You can bitch about the game as much as you want I got loving black screen shadow realmed multiple times last night and it sucked but saying they don't know what they're doing is some sad poo poo. You fuckin fix it then if it's so easy you entitled dipshit. Boo hoo my loving free video game isn't working perfectly all the time. You're like the wow players who tearfully demand a month of free game time when the servers poo poo out on expansion day except that blizzard has a goddamn budget, orders of magnitude more devs and the players are actively paying for that poo poo.

Might be taking FFXI classic RPing a little too seriously here. You aren't supposed to revert to a 2002 forum poster as well. :v:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Definitely part of the experience

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Jazerus posted:

the discord is full of incredibly annoying people both pro and anti dev. i'd hope we could keep discussion in this thread above the bare minimum of horizonchat discord, frankly. i don't know anything about them personally but they've done a pretty good job fixing the technical problems. if they're lovely people then that sucks.

anyway how's everyone doing? i'm taking a big break from leveling to get cooking leveled while ingredients are still very cheap. seems reasonably profitable so far

Sitting in Gusgen Mines all day making money towards no particular purpose. Don't even know what job I want to level.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
i got lizzy boots 1/1 on christmas morning and Ive been enjoying the server very much thanks

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Glagha posted:

drat did you steal this from bluegatr?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Man, I just saw a 75 Bard with sky pops in their bazaar. It's been 3 weeks. Crazy.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Glagha posted:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

realizing as an adult that elvaan without exception have incredibly stupid names. ran into a guard named "pepigort" over in san d'oria. truly a hosed-up culture

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jazerus posted:

realizing as an adult that elvaan without exception have incredibly stupid names. ran into a guard named "pepigort" over in san d'oria. truly a hosed-up culture

HELBORT

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Forcing myself to play PLD atm because nobody else wants to tank and the instant party invites are nice

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm playing PLD as well because they're really good. Don't like the club META (Most Effective Tactic Available) that's developing around them, though. But hell, the devs know more than I do! They have 1400 years of combined FFXI experience, after all.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Me and a buddy are jumping in on this. Is thief still painful for a first job? I'm doing Red Mage for right now but plan on switching to Ranger and Summoner further down the line.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thief feels a little anemic compared to warrior and monk early on but it's still a strong job and treasure hunter means you'll have an easier time with the various sidequest and mission hoops you have to jump through

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jazerus posted:

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Bonarpant

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Jazerus posted:

thief feels a little anemic compared to warrior and monk early on but it's still a strong job and treasure hunter means you'll have an easier time with the various sidequest and mission hoops you have to jump through

My friend really wants to do Thief as his starting class so that's gunna be our combo. Maybe might make subjob unlock easier.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Elvaan names are basically French names as written by someone who knew what sounds French names had in them but did not know how to actually assemble them.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Kortel posted:

Me and a buddy are jumping in on this. Is thief still painful for a first job? I'm doing Red Mage for right now but plan on switching to Ranger and Summoner further down the line.

IMO thief's biggest struggle right now is finding parties because there's so many of them, but it pays dividends in the long run.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Current plan is:
Me on Warrior until Subjob unlock, no idea what after that but I'll level bows during it. Buddy on Monk unto Subjob unlock then he's switching to Thief. Third player is doing Red Mage to subjob, then leveling White Mage to 30s then switching to Red Mage again.
I do not want to remain a tank but both friends are brand new players and I figured after getting some levels in they'd have more of an idea if they want to stick with it. Sub War isn't a bad thing to have in the long run.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I was trying to play this, and got an error as I tried to zone out of San d'Oria, When I shut the game down and loaded back I was floating in the air, and I don't have a warp or any way to go back to my homepoint. Is there an unstuck command or something for this situation?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eimi posted:

I was trying to play this, and got an error as I tried to zone out of San d'Oria, When I shut the game down and loaded back I was floating in the air, and I don't have a warp or any way to go back to my homepoint. Is there an unstuck command or something for this situation?

yeah, type !unstuck. you'll have to wait around for 20 minutes because they don't want people to abuse it for a warp but if you get voided it's the only way out apart from contacting a GM, and they want you to do !unstuck first

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Jazerus posted:

yeah, type !unstuck. you'll have to wait around for 20 minutes because they don't want people to abuse it for a warp but if you get voided it's the only way out apart from contacting a GM, and they want you to do !unstuck first

Thanks.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.
I might be extra dumb, but the discord channel is just a bunch of announcements, where do I find the discussion?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
what are some reasonable money makers for a lvl 17 THF? Fire crystals, bat wings, and clumps of wool all sell pretty well, but grinding them is pretty slow. I was thinking of giving gathering a try. Is it worth getting a set of field gear and some pick axes?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Prism posted:

Elvaan names are basically French names as written by someone who knew what sounds French names had in them but did not know how to actually assemble them.

Todd Bonsalet

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

life of lemons posted:

I might be extra dumb, but the discord channel is just a bunch of announcements, where do I find the discussion?

you have to agree to the rules somewhere to see all the channels iirc

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Watching people level off easy prey then switch to even fights and getting wrecked will never not be funny. Gotta work on your skills people. We all hit 7 last night and it's going alright. Managed to farm enough wind crystals to buy a full set of leather, a butterfly axe and some spells.

Likely going to skip dunes and do the dungeons instead for exp if Discord is anything to go by. Apperantly it had almost 300 people in it last night all complaining about not being able to kill things.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm still like level 10 and gotta figure out what to do next

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Kortel posted:

Likely going to skip dunes and do the dungeons instead for exp if Discord is anything to go by. Apperantly it had almost 300 people in it last night all complaining about not being able to kill things.

You should have been there the first two weeks. 500+ people in Dunes. Dunes kept crashing every 30-45 minutes. The upside was that if you logged in fast enough after a crash, you could assemble a group with other people who just logged in and go move into a now unoccupied camp you wanted, rather than being forced to settle for a lesser camp.

The alternative to Dunes is Buburimu Peninsula, which is less populated but you will still have competition for camps. If you are a new player, Dunes and Buburimu should be the places you are grinding at for levels 10-20. The mobs there drop items you need for your subjob unlock. Hit two birds with one stone. There is no point levelling past level 20 in another zone and then realizing "whoops! I need my subjob items!" and then going back to Dunes or Buburimu joining farm parties but since you're overlevelled you will be getting poor EXP. On this server level sync works differently. If you are 10 levels higher than the level sync target, you get hit with escalating EXP reductions, up to 50% less exp.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dunes sucks never go to dunes. every conceivable camp is parked on unless it's like 4 AM EST, and probably a couple of spots that aren't viable camps at all but people wish they were

bubu will carry you to 20 with enough people to party with but not enough that the zone is literally overcrowded and if you're coming in with 3 people already you won't need to do a lot to assemble a party

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
We're thinking of doing Bubu for items then Gusgen to get the Magicked Skull then swing back to Bubu around 22ish. That's what I did back in the day. I don't actually have a fondness for Vulkrum.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bloody Robes have a good drop rate if you can handle ghosts. It was actually preferable to do robes when the server launched because skull drop rate was so bad and ghouls were in short supply.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Yeah but then we have to Vulkram drops, not sure that'd be a positive experience for new players if the map is pretty much camped.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I think you have it backwards. Bloody Robe is the Mhaura side, Skull is the Selbina side.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Yeah, I got the items mixed up. It's been almost 20 years! If we don't wanna do the "wait until night and hope to get a spawn and a drop" we're still looking as Gusgen Mines as our best bet. Assuming it isn't camped to hell there too.

We've got a while though, only a few hours a night to play. Hoping to get them to mid teens tonight. Farmed up some spell money for the redmage and some equipment for the monk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Job unlock quests all seem to give a bit of mog wardrobe (5 each). So there's a reason to do those even for jobs you don't plan on leveling.