Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Now that the world cup is over, it's time for real football to return. The January transfer window opens on January 1st (2nd in La Liga and Serie A) , letting in some much needed fresh air to blow out the mould and cobwebs that accumulated whilst everyone was raising awareness in Qatar.

Several deals have already been completed, and shockingly only one of them is for Nottingham Forest:

Brentford signed Byron Wilson

Brighton & Hove Albion signed Facundo Buonanotte

Newcastle United signed Amadou Diallo and Garang Kuol

Nottingham Forest signed Gustavo Scarpa

Will Newcastle and Arsenal splash the cash in their bids to continue their impressive form this season? Where will CR7 end up? Use this thread to discuss any hot transfer rumours, completed deals, and to predict just how many players Forest will have signed by the time the window closes again at 31st January, 11pm GMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Forest will sign 5 players, 2 perms and 3 loans.

Mateusz Klich is polishing off a deal to sign for DC United which makes me sad because he's extremely cool but also slowing down a bit and not getting as many games. He will have a lovely time in America

Leeds are also making serious pushes and tabling bids and all those other transfer bullshit terms for matheus cunha from atletico madrid. 23, bounced all over Europe already, 7 goals in 54 games - smells like another victor orta project to me but will look forward to his 50 goals between now and the end of the season

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Frankston posted:

Facundo Buonanotte

incredible name

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The post World Cup inflation/panic buys are going to be hilarious and I cant wait

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Spurs linked with Mohammed Kudus, Stephen Dr Vrij, Frank Kessie, Weston McKennie. None of whom will sign of course. Expecting something more along the lines of the deadline day attempt to sign Dan James on loan.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope they don't sign Mohammed Kudus so that whenever the new signing does badly we can get infinite enjoyment from posting "Don't blame me, I voted for Kudus"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/NBCSportsSoccer/status/1603427795006275584?s=20&t=Uxn8DTGbiIBeRxIjFVE_Wg

That's uhh a lot of money for a 16 year old

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I see Brazilians have branched out into using Game of Thrones rear end names for their children

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Probably built around a *lot* of clauses but yeah

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The actual fee is 60 million but real Madrid is also taking care of the taxes, which are another 12. I've posted a few videos of this kid in the cool videos thread. He's easily the most hyped Brazilian prospect I've ever seen. He was younger when he scored his first league goal than either Ronaldo or Neymar were when they debuted on the professional team.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m ready for Newcastle to buy all the players, inshallah

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Mac Allister will leave Brighton

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m ready for Newcastle to buy all the players, inshallah

Newcastle seem to be playing a more Moneyball approach according the theathletic, because the good old days of massive spending isn't as effective any more

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
These days if you get given a transfer warchest and immediately spend it on the first striker that comes up when you sort by 'goals: high to low' you get put in prison

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

lilbeefer posted:

Newcastle seem to be playing a more Moneyball approach according the theathletic, because the good old days of massive spending isn't as effective any more

Shut up

Announce mbappe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the sex ghost posted:

These days if you get given a transfer warchest and immediately spend it on the first striker that comes up when you sort by 'goals: high to low' you get put in prison

The striker also gets put in prison when he doesn't score enough goals

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Signs Chris Wood

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

The striker also gets put in prison when he doesn't score enough goals

But the World Cup is over...

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Newcastle fans excitedly checking their phones on christmas morning only to find that the club have bought £80m worth of utility midfielders because their expected value is greater than signing one world class player. It shouldn't be allowed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Newcastle fans excitedly checking their phones on christmas morning only to find that the club have bought £80m worth of utility midfielders because their expected value is greater than signing one world class player. It shouldn't be allowed

Could do with an upgrade tbf Jonjos 30 and longstaff is a bit eh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Newcastle did spend 60m on a striker in the summer though

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I wish I could say boro were going to get a huge signing after their inevitable oil buyout, but they already have Chuba

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope Liverpool make an emergency inflated World Cup price January window signing of Alexis Mac Allister

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who's going to end up with Ronald

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Thanks Ants posted:

Who's going to end up with Ronald

That Saudi club right? Was that ever confirmed?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I remember seeing people talking about Arsenal and that would probably be the worst thing that could happen to the club. He can retire in Saudi if he wants playing the equivalent of exhibition matches.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Cardiff City continue to refuse to pay the court-ordered transfer fee to FC Nantes for 2019 signing Emiliano Sala. Now the Welsh club, who play in the English second division, have been slapped with a transfer embargo, chairman Mehmet Dalman confirmed. However, the club boss is confident he will be able to remove the embargo by the January transfer window, as he told the "BBC" in Wales.

"I wish I had the power to take the shadow of this situation off the club. People at this club want this resolved," Dalman is quoted as saying. He said the club was in communication with the EFL in England and FIFA, and Dalman defended the decision not to pay a transfer fee after the Argentine player's plane crash. "People should not forget that a 29-year-old man was killed when such an accident should not have happened. There is a human side to this story, it's not just a financial one."

Cardiff have been ordered by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to pay the first instalment of the transfer fee, originally set at €17m, to the French side. However, Cardiff also rejected this first €6 million. Meanwhile, the club also received a bill from Nantes, Dalman said. "We haven't paid it and at this stage we have no intention of paying it until certain negotiations come to fruition." That automatically puts Cardiff into an EFL transfer embargo, he said. "I'm sure there will be further developments between now and January," Dalman said. "We are working hard to make sure we can do business then." As things stand, however, the Bluebirds are not likely to make any transfers in the winter.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wonder if there were a simple solution to get the "shadow of the situation off the club"

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Leicester are gonna make up for their negative transfer window in the summer by signing a promising young midfielder in anticipation of losing Tielemans soon and then get sucker punched by getting yet another defender poached right before the deadline

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I wonder if there were a simple solution to get the "shadow of the situation off the club"

Disband Cardiff City imo

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I remember seeing people talking about Arsenal and that would probably be the worst thing that could happen to the club. He can retire in Saudi if he wants playing the equivalent of exhibition matches.

By 'people' do you mean noted idiot Piers Morgan or were actual real people saying that was a thing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Entirely possible it was the noted idiot and then people who think he's worth listening to repeating it

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1607478258886377473

https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1607481015525580807

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Deal agreed, according to SSN.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Liverpool bitch

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
You just gotta love these speedy deals that no one saw coming.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

vyelkin posted:

I hope Liverpool make an emergency inflated World Cup price January window signing of Alexis Mac Allister

I'll settle for pinching Gakpo from Man U.

Looking forward to calling him Gakpoo when he fails to live up to expectations

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/PSV/status/1607495528580890625?s=20&t=NwHVKBfEQZ5Vev-BBxjXnw

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Lol wasn’t he a nailed-on ManU transfer like 2 weeks ago? I feel like all I heard during the WC was how he was on his way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Liverpool signing a player Leeds enquired about in the summer and then sensibly decided not to pay the amount psv wanted :sad: