Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey guys, need some advice on building my Legionary kill team. I only play against my brother who plays Kommandos and he seems to crush me every time. I just can't deal with all his units being concealed. I tried making a shooty list but I'm thinking I need to go full-combat to stand a chance. Currently running Champ, Plasma, Missile Launcher, Annointed, Acolyte, and a bolter dude w/malefic blade. Since we're playing Gallowdark, I'm thinking to swap the plasma for a flamer, and swap bolter guy for either a butcher or a shrivetalon. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I finally sold my Arbites on ebay; just in time to justify a huge order from Green Stuff World! :buddy:

I will be using plasticard rod/tubes to scratch build a melta-gun and a flamer for my Legionary kill team. I built my team using the mono-pose Start Collecting guys so I'm missing those bits. I scratch built my missile launcher which was fun; I need to also scratch build my Shrivetalon which should be much easier.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Went to a kill team tournament yesterday. 1.5 hour drive to a 20 man regional and I ended up going 2-2 and 13th overall even though I haven't played in 6 mo and it was the second time I've played Gellerpox in kill team because I only picked them as I put an extensive amount of effort in painting them so I figured I could go for the best painted category. I learned I don't like these kinds of events for a the laundry list of reasons which mostly stem not liking any of the people who play these games. A lot of that is likely from the area (ocala-gainesville, florida) as you'll get some hot takes like in reference to my opinion that I would never work for a defense contractor my first opponent said "oh I don't care what they do so long as they pay me well" or like having the reading ability of a middle schooler when it came to checking an edge case in a rulebook. I'm also incredibly salty that the person who won "best hobby" was a dude in a gamer jersey from the club that plays at the store and had models which could be graciously called battle ready but had a badly painted display tray with an absurdly out of scale eldar webway gate on it. The experience as a whole was so loving trash that I'm not even going to bother painting anything new for a tabletop game and just paint individual models for fun instead of lying to myself that I'll actually play a game again for a long time.

Either way here's some pictures I took of my gellerpox

Oh man, I'm in Orlando and I saw that tournament coming up. It was already sold out and I wouldn't have had the time anyways; sorry to hear it sucked. I wish there was more action in the area, not even the Warhammer store in Winter Park seems to have a dedicated Kill Team night or organization.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I just wish there was something closer, I don't have time to finish a game with my brother, let alone to drive an hour for an event :(

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Hey Orlangoons, looks like a brand new shop just opened up in Altamonte called Layton Gaming. Its absolutely huge and has an enormous inventory; Chainbreaker Lance boxes, Boarding Patrol boxes, full range of Horus Heresy on the shelf. Full range of the new Vallejo Game Color 2.0 and XPress Color, full range of Army Painter stuff, its insane. They have mini-trading nights first Sat of every month. First tournament will be AoS June 4th; Saturdays are Warhammer Days. Hopefully they'll run some Kill Team events!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Do we need to do an Orlando goon killteam day? I'm on the West side of Disney near Champions Gate and could host if I'm centrally located.

I'm down to setting something up, I'm in Ocoee/Gotha. I've also got my brother playing Kommandos and our friend playing Pathfinders who would probably be interested also.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah that's what I want. I personally view the SoB as essentially a Space Marine chapter taking the chapter gimmick farther than most and it drives me up the wall that Novitiates don't look right. Credit to the Novitiate Penitent though, who I like a lot more than a "full" Sister Repentia. I just want armored nuns with guns! I'll shut up about it now, though.

What about playing Kill Team on a hex map? Perusing the rules makes it look amenable to that, with the benefit of easy range measuring/movement and no arguments about distances/cover and stuff.

Might work if both teams all have operatives on 25mm bases, but many teams have larger bases and some even have operative with different base sizes. Blooded teams are on 25mm, except the commisar on a 32mm, and the mutant ogryn on a 40mm.

EDIT - Actually if you played on a 1mm hex grid it might work :v:

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 22, 2023

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Your best bet is to call around to local stores and see if any of them have anything you want in stock. I went to a sleepy store an hour away when Soulshackle came out and they had 3 boxes, along with Kasrkins, hieortek circle, etc. Hell they still have a Chaos Knight army box set and a bunch of 2021 christmas boxes still on the shelf.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I managed to get in two games of Kill Team this memorial day weekend against my brothers Kommandos. I usually run Legionary (Iron Warriors) but since we rarely get to finish a game due to time, I went ahead and put together a 4 man Custodes kill team. 4 dudes, no gimmicks, identical loadouts. Even post-nerf 3APL custodes I wiped the floor with him both games, conceding end of Turning point 3 in both. It was a little Feels Bad, but it did feel good to finish some games!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Had my first Kill Team tournament last Saturday and had a great time. 10 players showed up with no teams repeated. 3 rounds, point break ties, first place was a box of Vet guard, second place was $50 store credit, 3rd was a set of dice of your choice. I brought my Iron Warrior Legionnaires and ended up using the same loadout for all my games:

- Aspiring Champ with chainsword and plasma pistol; Grisly Trophy; Undivided
- Balefire Acolyte; malign scriptures; Undivided
- Shrivetalon; frag grenade; Undivided
- Annointed; Khorne
- Missile Launcher; Suspension system; Undivided
- Plasma gun; Undivided

Won my first matchup against Intercession on Gallowdark board with the looting objectives mission, 9-6. It was the guys very first game of Kill Team so we had a lot of fun.

Second game was against Fellgor Ravagers on an outdoor board with lots of heavy obscuring ruins and no vantage points. Got absolutely bodied and lost 20-8; the goats are no joke. Made critical mistakes on initial engage/conceal orders; might have stood a chance or at least not lost as badly if I had just put everything into engage; I did NOT expect him to be able to move up the board that fast. Goat wizard is an rear end in a top hat.

Third game was against Compendium eldar, rangers and guardians with a weapons platform. Board was crowded with hills and lots of vantage points with little flat/open ground. This was probably my worst case scenario matchup between the terrain and the eldar. Anointed, plasma gunner, and missile launcher all get shot off the board turn 1 without doing a drat thing. I was able to rally a little bit turn 2 and have my Acolyte let loose two fireblasts onto a crowded hill which took out most of his guardians plus weapons platform. Champ took out the stragglers and made a dent into the leader but we ran out of time and I lost 9-7.

In all cases learned a lot about how my team operates and what not to do moving forward. It was a lot of fun playing against all those different teams.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Did the heavy weapons platform do well? All the advice on the internet says not to bother taking it.

It was the platform that sniped off my plasma gunner turn one, but again I was heavily disadvantaged with the board layout so your mileage may vary. The 4+ invuln save equip he gave it was annoying tho.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

For our first few games my brother and I seriously misinterpreted the way combat works. Once we realized our mistakes and were doing things properly we realized how absolutely lethal combat is and how important it is to fight first. Its always better to charge than to be charge!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I wonder if they'll release Lucius pattern titans for AT. I like those way better than the Mars pattern ones.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Annointed posted:

Close. You use Scout for a free pregame dash, plunderers for another in strategic ploy dash, move, corsairs faction ability to get a free dash, and then grenade 6 inch range with fly and indirect, giving you a 3+3+6+3+6 = 21 inch threat range. I tend to use Warp Fold the Way Seeker teleport Psyker power for my duelist to get to midboard.

:stare:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

My brother chose Warpcoven as his second Kill Team and its been nice actually winning games :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

A lot of the rumors are saying new Warp Spiders for the next kill team box, lord knows they need a refresh, but Exodites does seem to lend itself to a kill team better. Unless they go All Eldar All the Time and do Exodites vs Warp Spiders :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

As well, there's at least one maker on MMF (I forget which one at the moment) that are doing Space Skaven with a bit of an AdMech flair. I think they're called "Scavenger Rats" or some such.

Station forge Raticus

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-raticus-grunts-312721

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Crackbone posted:

GWs new site sucks rear end.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Unpopular opinion: I love blast templates and the scatter mechanic and wish they would come back to 40k

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

God help me, I want the even tinier space barbies

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

It's an artifact of a design philosophy that WHFB does not embrace at all. It not only adds an extra round of arithmetic to every single attack, but adds a spin on the dice that has to be undone at later steps of combat resolution. It's stupid pointless fiddling that's just here as catnip to people who resented AOS for existing, not for AOS's actual flaws (which are legion).

I mean, literally yes:

quote:

The big news here is that we’re back to the classic Weapon Skill stat – which means higher WS is better, and that to work out each model’s roll to hit, you must compare your WS against theirs. Yes, the To Hit Chart is back and it’s as beardy as ever.

TOW isn't a wargame, its a nostalgia generator

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm looking at getting into Kill Team, am I right in thinking I better preorder the new release on Saturday if I want it? It's not going on general release after the fact?

Only if you really want either of the included kill teams; otherwise you're probably better off getting whatever team you actually want, whatever terrain suits your fancy, and the Core rulebook. The new Salvation set does not include the new oil rig terrain, which is a change from all the other previous releases. Rules for your particular team can be found in one of the expansion books, Kill Team Annual, Wahapedia, or KTDash (which is a great app to use while you play).

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

For that new Kill Team terrain, can anyone tell if the piers for the catwalks are like exactly half the height of the standard Sector Mechanicus ones? Like could you double up on them and have them match up with everything else (I think it's 5"?). I can always use more terrain for Necro but I'm not sure if I want to deal with weird mismatched heights.

ALSO man, y'all have me REALLY wanting to play TOW but I'm about 5-6k points into Soulblight and buddy I am not rebasing 100 skeletons and 80 Dire Wolves. Anyone know if saboted movement trays for AoS models are going to be feasible?

The will probably be compatible; the Sector Mechanicus and the Necromunda Ash Wastes terrain is all designed to clip together:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/17/the-secrets-of-the-ash-wastes-advanced-terrain-tips-from-the-designer/

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Are those AT rules still in place for LI? Could that same scenario had happened and taken out an entire detachment of marines?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

What would an LI scale ship look like? Could be good for a crashed spaceship board.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Re: 4 man custodes kill team:

Being only 4 dudes this is the quickest team to play; when I've only got an hour or so bang out a game of Kill Team, its my team of choice.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

How well have they been playing for you? Seems like it'd be really hard to contest objectives when some teams are bringing 14 models.

Since I play exclusively against my brothers Warp Coven or Kommandos, I've been doing pretty good. I can't imagine winning against a competent player using a 14 man Vet Guard team, its just too many bodies. My main mistake at first with the 4 man team is thinking they are invincible and marching them right up the middle of the board with Engage orders without a care in the world. They need cover and strategy just like any other team.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

A friends local store is closing down (:saddowns:) and they have their modest GW stock marked down 30%. They got a couple Shadowvaults boxes, should I pick one up for ~$130? I've already got a set of ITD terrain but a second set would be nice for 40k Boarding Action games. Not really interested in either team but are the Kasrkin still hard to come by? Maybe I can flip them.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Haha I sniped my brother's bomb squig that was camping out next to his Rokkit Boy. Thought he was covered from all firing lanes but I popped him from across the board at a sneaky angle and got two for one.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Probably finished up my Legionary kill team with a heavy bolter gunner and a Warpsmith (Aspiring Champ w/power fist)

Sick! Where are the heads/power claw from?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Triskelli posted:

I want an ironkin head with a cigar, "because it makes me look cool"

No cigar but here's one with a top hat and monocle

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/ironkin-heads

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

New killteam dataslate out, in addition to a bunch of team stuff jump tests are now automatic and beta-decima smoke now blocks visibility instead of obscuring

Link? I don't see it on Warcom

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Oh man these are some MAJOR changes to several teams. Kommandos got nerfed big time and Warp Coven got both ends of the stick. Both my poor brothers teams.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Warpcoven got a minor hit on 1 power and then a bunch of really good buffs so maybe they're okay now?

The buffs are good but the nerfs to psychic powers and Ephemeral Instability are significant, it was pretty much my brothers only move lol

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I don't play BB but drat of those gnomes don't look like a fun painting project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Think I'm going to play in the local summer Necromunda league. Any tips for a Venator gang styled as a rogue Imperial Guard squad?

The Necromundan 8th is a regiment with some lore, nicknamed The Spiders; you could go that route. There's even a special bounty hunter available:

https://www.warhammer.com/en-GB/shop/Hired-Guns-Yar-Umbra-and-The-Deserter-2019

You could also kitbash the Blooded kit to be less chaosy and match the ragged deserter theme

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 11, 2024