Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I haven't seen this posted yet, so a while back Peachy from GW (the bald guy in the painting videos) left and joined a Youtube painting channel, and yesterday they released a podcast where they talked about the Cursed City release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5RujeiJwLI Around 23 minutes in.

They don't reveal too much behind-the-scenes info (largely due to the fact that, apparently even GW employees were surprised at what happened) but it basically just confirms a lot of what the community already put together; Lockdown & Brexit really hosed over their release plans (interesting detail about new Brexit rules forbidding them from using the UK flag on the box, due to being partially produced in China), all the Soulblight heroes that followed the release were of course intended to be included in the expansions, and the community managers/livestreamers were just told to not acknowledge any comments regarding Cursed City. It's not much, but I just find talk about Cursed City's bungled development always fascinating. Only thing missing would be information about how the expansion boxes actually came together in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

That’s cool to hear, just kinda weird to put out a news article about what they’re planning to do in the future, and not like… just waiting to do it. They even acknowledge KT tourney data is in a weird spot right now, since they just made changes and need to wait for more current data. It would’ve been fun to see the old result data, even if they didn’t have balancing info to move forward

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Bloody weird that they spend so long talking about how mysterious and different the Gallowdark is, with ships from all different time periods and cultures and then the terrain is all the same walls with a single sprue of different stuff in each box. The first season of Kill Team, each box had fully different, really cool multi-level terrain from different planets. Or well, I haven't seen it irl or played on it, but it looked cool and thematic a least.

I’m surprised that they didn’t even take the opportunity to make the additional unique terrain pieces in each box themed to different factions. Like, okay fine, all the walls are Imperium themed (since every box is gonna have an Imperium team, I guess), but they could have had Necron or T’au styled scatter terrain pieces instead of whatever boxes & broken pipes. The holographic table in this new box is cool, but it really just feels like they never really intended to explore this idea of a Space Hulk. They just wanted to have close-quarters maps, and a Space Hulk Setting gives the best reason why random factions would be fighting.

Although… thinking about the original Space Hulk game, those boards were nothing more than just Imperium Ship interior, so this isn’t straying too far from precident. But if I remember the lore, That Space Hulk was specifically the remains of multiple Imperial ships (maybe that depends on edition), whereas the Gallowdark is described as a mess of broken and merged ships. The walls don’t even give that good of an impression that this is a derelict craft, aside from some broken pipes & wiring. All that being said, they are pretty nice modular walls.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Have people started making Printable terrain that’s compatible with these walls yet? Seems like the natural conclusion for this system, but I’m not in any 3D printing groups or anything.

Edit: okay, yeah it exists. Only found some recreations of the current terrain, but I’m sure someone’s made some unique stuff out there.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 27, 2023

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I was looking for it on Thingiverse but couldn’t find any. Is there some good free stuff out there?

A quick google popped up some stuff on Cults3D. Just search for “Gallowdark” and stuff should pop up. https://cults3d.com/en/tags/gallowdark

The approximate KT-equivalent isn’t free, but there seems to be Fallout Vault inspired walls that are.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 27, 2023

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

New soulshackle terrain details, seems pretty cool!

https://www.warhammer-community.com...am-soulshackle/

Walls with actual holes in them is really cool. It says you can blast them open with the right weapon, so I wonder if they’re gonna allow things like the Ork Breacher to breach through as well.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

If you want to be competitive in KT, at this point you're best off picking up one of the established team boxes. All the older custom Compendium teams have been power crept out of the meta. That being said, if you're just looking for casual LGS play, I think the Compendium teams can probably still hold their own, especially against each other.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Dull Fork posted:

I was pretty pleased to see what they changed for Hierotek Circle.

Heres the link for anyone curious https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/obDcXbbjdnERFx6q.pdf

-Necron Changes-

So all in all, I think these are some legit great changes, if nothing else models will stay on the board longer and should hopefully help Necrons keep the activation balance a little closer through the mid to late game.

I know Game development & balancing is harder than most people give credit for, especially when GW has a regular release schedule like this for KT, but it surprises me at the amount of changes they have to make to bring the Necrons in-line with other teams. It would be so amazing to have insight to the choices going on during development. Did they over-estimate the power of Reanimation, and tack on the drawbacks to try and "balance" it?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Necromunda questions: is Ash Wastes the most recent rulebook?

Yeah, Ash Wastes is the last big edition update. I think there's been a book or two since then for the Goliath and Escher vehicles, and whatever else was in there, but Ash Wastes is still the most recent rulebook expansion

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

what the gently caress is with a blind box kill team

Yeeeeah. When I first saw the title & pic for that Kill Team post, I thought they were repackaging a bunch of the Space Marine Heroes figures into a KT box; but it's basically the opposite. I have no idea how they expect people to legitimately play that team without proxying the models, or just running straight to eBay. I know with these blind box sets, they can set it up so there's always a guaranteed Leader in the case, or even one of each if they're generous. But I can't imagine anyone looking at this in a store and thinking "I'll just grab Seven random boxes, and hope I can run the team!" You basically have to buy a whole case just to be sure you get the full roster, and at that point, just make it a box set! And the news post even says they have "a locked-down loadout," so there's zero point in having more than one of a model (Unless you want one with a helmet and one without).

If that team ends up competitively viable, there will be no end to the whining.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 1, 2023

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Yeah, after more details of the set came out, it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Just buy a full case and you get the team plus 1 extra guy. I was expecting it to be more random-y bullshit. As long as they price it around the same as a regular KT box, it's whatever.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I Wonder if this means they’re eventually folding Titanicus into this game now. I mean, there no reason they couldn’t just keep releasing new models with whatever cards and stuff you’d need for both systems, but it just doesn’t strike me as a GW move to keep these two parallel game systems supported.

I am excited to see whatever huge warmachines they’re able to deliver now, that would’ve instead been hundreds of dollars worth of FW resin in proper HH. Kinda sad we won’t get a return of the weird classic Epic Eldar Titans, but… I’m sure there’ll be plenty of 3D print options.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Like in the lead up the 10th, he was saying in his videos that the contest was rigged and they were going to announce a tie and show off both armies. When tyranids won he started shouting 'I told you it was rigged, nobody that voted actually played a game. They didn't want the tyranids to win, they only cared about space marines losing. '

To be fair, I am one of those guys that just took my code and voted for Tyranids without playing. But, I wanted to see cool new bugs, instead of marine #257.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I think it's less the expectation that the models would be cheap, but I think the reality of seeing 20/30 year old models being sold in big $200 boxes kinda sucked the hype out of some people. Maybe there was also the hope that GW would position these boxes as bigger loss-leaders to get people sucked into ToW, but... I think that hope has always been proven incorrect anytime they launch a new game system. Although, having said that, I also saw people saying they thought GW was in the process of re-doing the entire TK and Bretonnia model-line, and were surprised to see that these were the original models at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I'm kinda surprised GW is making changes people have been pushing on for years at this point. Removing Fly from Harlequins, nerfing the bomb squig, big boost to Warp Coven, rebalancing Hierotek Circle. I'm glad, but it's like, what paradigm shift happened behind the scenes. I feel like, if they went heavy with Warp Coven & Hierotek, there are other teams that could also use a boost, but... hopefully they keep this energy up for future Dataslates

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 27, 2024