Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, kill team is the best, it’s so good it got me back into tabletop gaming after not even looking at it for twenty years, buy kill team, it’s fantastic 10/10 would go broke again for it.

Kill Team is good. It is so good, it is almost as good as Necroumnda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

moths posted:

Take note: White Dwarf 482 is a VERY SPECIAL ISSUE that you want to buy because it includes:

It's already on shelves at Barnes & Noble in the US.

But then I'd have to buy a PC, and that's money that could be used for goring the pile of shame!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Law & Misrule campaign question: if someone has a Guild racket (like Water Guild Bond or whatever they are called) or another racket that gives them hive scum / bounty hunters for free, does that increase the crew rating, or do they not count towards that? It seems like less of a bonus if your opponent gets to take ~400 credits worth of inducements if you bring your siphoning delegation.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

I did some concept art for Gallowdark SoulShackle lol

The hobby hero we do not deserve. Amazing!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
And while I have all your attention, Necromunda question: are Chem-Synths one use, or can you just apply them every turn?

\/\/ Thank you! That's how we have been playing it.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 6, 2023

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

engessa posted:

A local add has this box for 50 bucks. It seems to be these two boxes: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/262097/warhammer-40000-kill-team-kill-team-mordelai-death and
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/262092/warhammer-40000-kill-team-writhing-shadow-tyranids combined but i'm not sure. Anybody knows what this is? And is it worth 50 bucks?

If you absolutely love all the models, paying $3.50 per isn't terrible for GW minis, but nothing else in the box is worth anything. Just fish it out of the dumpster in 6 months.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My backlog can handle two more models, right?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

The rules are clear and concise, the table of contents is useful, and there's an honest to god index.

I might buy it just for that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cat Face Joe posted:

Is there a list somewhere that says like this Sisters 40k model can be this Sisters KT model? The local group wants to start KT and ive got a line on huge pile of 40k Sisters for cheap. Also I don't know anything about either game.

Does the model have a gun / weapon that looks kind of like the KT model? Congrats, you can use it!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

War and Pieces posted:

idk about you but I've got a sudden urge to run away and join from the circus

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

Necromunda is really fun!

Can't really get my head around the allies though. Like, it seems like you just get them. For essentially 'free'. And they're more likely to help you if you haven't played many games? So, they're only any good, right at the start, when they'd be hideously overpowered? It seems like SUCH a strange system?

I really like the Water Guild models, but there's just no way I can justify spending £50 on them, when they'll either be unfair or unusable?

We don't do alliances in our campaigns, as they are complicated enough! The various delegations run from "meh" to "horribly OP" which is another reason to skip them, or at least have the Arbiter balance them in some way.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

It's a shame, the Nautica Delegation was what got me into Necromunda, because I wanted those models.

Oh don't worry, we are doing Law & Misrule, so you get the delegations w/o the complication of Alliances.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

Oh.... what does that mean?

If you own one of the ___ Guild Bond rackets, you get to add that guild's delegation to your crew. I own the Water Guild Bond, so I get to add those folks to my gang. :getin:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Desfore posted:

If you want to be competitive in KT, at this point you're best off picking up one of the established team boxes*. All the older custom Compendium teams have been power crept out of the meta. That being said, if you're just looking for casual LGS play, I think the Compendium teams can probably still hold their own, especially against each other.

* except the Necrons. Good lord do they suck. Their compendium team is much better, and that compendium team is awful.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Annointed posted:

I want mugshots

:same:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

moths posted:

In the 41st millennium, the people are oppressed by two separate yet equally important groups: The Arbites, who investigate "crime," and the Inquisition, who [REDACTED]. These are their stories.

:perfect:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

Got my enforcers a web gun. Feels, kinda bullshit, if I'm honest. One guy is playing Ogryns, and it means that if I can get within 12" of any of his team with two of my guys, only needing to roll a single dice, on a 4+ his guy goes ooo.

GET ARRESTED FOOLS.

I mean, I'm just a hard, hard counter to him. It seems almost silly.

Web and Toxin are on the one hand very OP, but on the other hand are what keep high wound / toughness models from steamrolling you.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Yeah, I love Necromunda as a concept but the bespoke rules for everyone, the insane complexity that non-house gangs add (I'm looking at you Helots) and the fact that after a few campaign weeks your rag-tag gang is better armed than most Kill-Teams and the flavor of the game changes because of that makes it a relationship that sours as the weeks roll on and the credits roll in.

Going to give the One Page Rules "Gang Wars" a look. I know Goonhammer has their modified campaign, but you have to house rule so many things (with their campaign or not) it's tough to be an Arbiter. That or make my own game! (coming in fall of 2048)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
The Enforcers showed up and confiscated everyone’s gear.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Covermeinsunshine posted:

The only way to gently caress yourself over in list building for KT is by playing necrons

:cry:

I think they'll get buffed again in the next data slate. Buffed to the point where they are usable? :iiam:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

So with the new updates have they made the necrons worth buying?

We'll have to see, but they are at least out of the basement.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, need some advice on building my Legionary kill team. I only play against my brother who plays Kommandos and he seems to crush me every time. I just can't deal with all his units being concealed. I tried making a shooty list but I'm thinking I need to go full-combat to stand a chance. Currently running Champ, Plasma, Missile Launcher, Annointed, Acolyte, and a bolter dude w/malefic blade. Since we're playing Gallowdark, I'm thinking to swap the plasma for a flamer, and swap bolter guy for either a butcher or a shrivetalon. Thoughts?

Shirvetalon is an auto-include in any list.
Plasma is the mainstay, but swap it to Melta depending on board and opposing team. Orcs in Gallowdark is probably a good time for that.
Ditch the Missile Launcher, and use the Chaincannon.
Aspiring Champ is a good pick, use the Plasma pistol, and switch between Power Fist and Maul. For Orcs, probably Maul, since they have 10 wounds so you need two hits to kill them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Annointed posted:

Currently in No Voidscarred Corsair hell while my local gaming store tries to order a box from Games Workshop. In the meanwhile does anyone have an in depth guide on how to win with them? Haven't done much more than one mock game on tabletop simulator.

IIRC it was "don't play them".

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I started Necromunda like 8 months ago, and got a campaign up and running despite never even playing before. Our group is just wrapping up our second one, which I also ran, and we should be starting our third in a few weeks. I am really, really, really looking forward to this next one. Because someone else is running it and I may actually get to enjoy the experience!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

Those cool crabs have me thinking about Nissan for my next Killteam. Do I understand it correctly that I can have three warriors and five Genestealers as a team? It looks pretty effective for killing the heck out of stuff

I think you can only bring two SUVs, one cross over, and the rest of the team has to be sedans. You can select up to 4 to be hybrids or electrics.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
A buddy of mine that I play Necromunda and 40k with has been working on getting me to try Warcry for a while, and so this weekend it finally happened. We got in 2 games in 2 hours including me learning all the rules and checking out which warbands I wanted to play. I think it is a great, great "beer and pretzels" minis game; super easy to pick up, interesting with the random missions / deployment / twists, neat initiative mini-game type thing, and so swingy with crits that you can't possibly play it competitively. If my backlog wasn't the size of the moon, I'd pick up the starter box! If you are looking for a very casual game or a great "how to minis game" for friends, this is a good one.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Ahh the good old days of using your last activation to GA2 two scrubs with Grenades up the board because even if you lost initiative, your opponent could only kill one of them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Is winning with Veteran Guardsmen or navy breachers in Kill Team impossible?! I did a mega marathon yesterday with people who played as orks kommandos, i had a full 14 man complent for the veterans and a normal 11 armsmen and they loving washed me both times the thing that helped them the most is the loving 'just a scratch' horseshit they pull whenever i need to make a key kill (yes obviosuly its once a turn), like the orks are infinitely harder to kill abd they are able to just sweep the poo poo out of me when its their turn to do damage.

Obviously im just a butthurt stupid baby who is not as smart as they are in using and comprehending the teams im playing as, but any advice on how i can equalize the game a little bit so i can actually manage to do my objectives would be greatly appreciated!!

Vet Guard are still one of the strongest teams, and you can trounce Kommandos with them. Conversely, Kommandos are also a good team, and can win against anyone with enough skill and dice. I'd give Guard a 60/40 edge on Kommandos (75/25 pre grenade nerf) How much have you played Guard? Did you pick good secondaries for the matchup and max them every game, etc.?

I'm not a great player by any stretch, and I haven't played Vet Guard in a while, and I have been playing Kommandos a little as of late, so here's a rough guide:

Stuff that applies to every match.
  • What secondaries are they likely to pick, and how can I deny them.
  • What secondaries should I take, given the model count and rough "melee v. shooting" of their team?
  • How can I max primary points, or at a minimum, at least ensure I take more each turn.
  • How and where will I set up my demo guy's mine, and ensure he gets the APL buff required for maximum cheese?
  • What is the optimal place to set up my spotter (this may be a place to set up a move for turn 2) and who is his buddy this game; sniper, plasma, or grenade?
  • Should I take the 4 extra guys, or the other... hahah, just kidding. Take the guys.
  • Deploy knowing you will be moving 3" before the game actually starts.
  • Does the other team have long range Blast? As a horde team, this is your Kryptonite, so base your deployment around that fact / models.
  • Use GA2 to get two bodies on a point at the end of a turn to put more APL on it than them. Use GA2 at the end of a round to give them two easy targets for next turn that they either waste an activation on killing one, or ignore, letting you then GA2 them again to do chip damage or get into annoying places. Those extra 4 guys are meat shields. They are there to die, and maybe throw a grenade or two.
  • Killing things is only an aid to scoring points. You don't get anything for killing someone unless you have a secondary that requires it. Focus on the objectives.

Stuff that applies to Kommandos.
  • They can charge from conceal. So pre-measure 9" from their models to stay out of that range of things I cannot kill for sure before the end of the turn.
  • They have a sniper with Silent that they can forward deploy. So when I set up my people, I need to be aware of that.
  • They have long range blast (via the Rokkit Boy) that they can _also_ forward deploy.
  • Given they have two forward deploys they can make, if you win the Attacker / Defender roll, make them deploy first if the board is symmetric or at least does not have a huge advantage.
  • They have a guy who can walk through walls and will 99.9% of the time have dynamite to throw at me. Commit resources to killing him fast or blocking him with people who I don't care about.
  • They have Just a Scratch. So save your essential damage until as late as possible, and do your "second most important" damage just before it. Try to chip damage the Guy Who Must Die early in the round, then hit hard at the end. Couple that with hitting the Guy Who It Would Be Really Nice To Die just before, and they have a tough choice; let all that damage through because they _know_ you are going to hit hard on the main target next, or blow the Strat on him, letting you wail fully on the actual target.
  • You have many more models than them. Keep an eagle eye on their models in Engage to avoid getting overwatched.
  • You have many more models than them. You can flood points with bodies to take them. You can do all of your "safe" movement and passing first, forcing them to leave everything in their final positions while you make your risky moves / heavy damage attacks.
  • They have Climbing Ropes and two different ways of giving extra APL. So they will do the "pop up on vantage, shoot, dash back" thing when they can. So when somebody near a vantage point gets an extra AP, say out of their firing arc.
  • They have terrible saves. AP1 (or more) is wonderful. Overcharged plasma and the re-roll 1s stratagem are a death sentence for Orcs.

Again, I'm not a great player, so take all that w/ a piece of Heavy Terrain sized grain of salt.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jadarx posted:

Maybe because I haven't played Kill Team yet, but I'm having some trouble getting my head around the Frenzy incapacitation rules. So if I understand this correct, once a Fellgor gets Frenzied
* You don't get incapacitated with shooting hits
* You do get incapacitated with a single crit in melee
* You do get incapacitated with two normal hits in melee (separate melees are allowed)

Right?

* You do get incapacitated when your activation ends.

So if it activates again, it dies immediately after. Note that I am not saying this makes them not OP; just clarifying that most case they do die the next turn no matter what.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Annointed posted:

I feel like I can finish up on most of my models by today.

I painted a cape for two hours today. :cry:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Its a shame that ashes of faith is coming out so soon before 10th edition sadly im gonna skip it to save up for leviathan

Part of me wants to get Leviathan, but I have no interest in Space Marines or Tyranids. So why do I still want to get it? :iiam:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Annointed posted:

Are there in depth guides for Kill Team? Other than Wahapedia and the occasional in depth article on Goomhammer info on higher level tactics and play seem to be hidden behind word of mouth and discord.

There's a YouTube channel called Turning Point Tactics that does lots of in depth stuff. Austin Powers40k on YT has his tournament games from TTS on-line and he's a good player. The Command Point Discord has tons and tons of people talking tactics and so on for each faction.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

I think I might have enough Admech to make a team but I don't have any of the larger based models, can I mane a team of just skitarii?

Yes, if my reading of their rules is correct.

!Klams posted:

Also, how can I get a Votann team, would it have to mean buying the big box set?

Right now it would mean buying the big box (if you can find it) or buying the Votann sprue on eBay. They will eventually come out as their own team box, so if you can wait, that's the way to go.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Go to the grocery / dollar store and buy some green army men. They are just cannon fodder anyway!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I'm totally open to the idea that it's "not fielding Sicarians". Seems like maybe without them I'm lacking wounds, melee, strategems and tactics, and that's probably a bit too much of a hit.

It is in fact that. Without them you are a one note team that's easy to kill at best, and against a team that can shoot twice, "lol, lmfo".

In other news, I played against the Beastmen for the first time the other day, played by a high-level tournament player, and despite the "oh no the sky is falling" some YouTubers would have you believe that they are unstoppable "I WIN" buttons for Kill Team, I lost by 2 points, and had I made a slightly better decision turn 3 or not gotten two very terrible rolls turn 4, I probably could have won.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

How do Tac Ops work in Kill Team, and, are there physical versions of the Hearthkyn Salvagers ones? Do I just use theirs, or do I use from the full deck?

This is the only bit of the rules I'm finding super vague.

You can optionally choose ONE of theirs, and the others must come from a single archetype of the team's, which IIRC are RECON and SECURITY. There are probably not physical versions of their cards, but there will be some generic "Faction Tac Op 1" type cards in the decks.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

ahhh, ok, that makes sense, so it's like, pick one of theirs, and then look at two -> Pick one twice from one of the archetypes they belong to?

yep, your four options are:

3 Recon
3 Security
1 faction, 2 Recon
1 faction, 2 Security

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeh I got a starter set box and as I'm totally new to DIY minis I could use some guidance on miniature assembly (including magnetization) and painting. I have a paint scheme in mind for the Orks at least.

For most / all teams: build all the specialists. If they give you a choice between "Guy with unique weapon / kit / role" and "Generic Guy", always build the unique one. For KT, you only need to magnetize the base, as if you do need to switch options (i.e. your model has a plasma, but you want melta this game), you can just proxy.

]

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SuperKlaus posted:

Thank you, and thanks to Jack B Nimble, Arcturas, and !Klams. I realized shortly after posting that my problem thinking someone could shoot through a wall was that I forgot LoS like a dummy (exhibit 1 in "don't post sleep deprived").

On point 2, I'm referring specifically to the Critical Operations missions in the core book. The Critical Operations ones just have a bunch of measured lines with arrows at the ends that seem to be telling me where to place the objective markers. I read the Octarius missions basically right after posting (exhibit 2 in "don't post sleep deprived") and those are very clear about terrain and also emphasize that the measurement lines are for objective placement, so now I'm just asking to be 100% sure: in Critical Operations, the players place terrain as they will every mission and there is no fixed layout like Octarius, right?

I'm cutting my miniatures from sprues and planning out how I want to assemble em and it's fun so far!

Correct. Crit Ops does not have a fixed terrain layout. Glass has a good video on making boards / placing terrain that's worth a watch. The big things are:

• No vantages in deployment zones
  • Make sure there's heavy in / up against the edge of the DZ so people can hide on deployment.
  • vantages right next to drop zones should have the "cover" bits facing away from the center of the table.

There's also a bunch of KT tournament packs online that include layouts for the various deployment zones you can find with some :google:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

amazing work