Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Just put in my two weeks with no job lined up gently caress you [regional hospital chain] you can't just let boomers retire and die of COVID and cover the gaps with overtime and working managers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

I've been through a whole loving slew of layoffs in the last few years due to the 737max crashes just murdering the industry that feeds boeing but my favorite/most horrifying was:

We got a warning 2 weeks before the lay off because they wanted to be nice??? idk. Anyway, it was like the grimmest atmosphere ever and as each day approached you'd see open liquor bottles on peoples desks and poo poo. We all went out and just got loving ripped mid day a few times. The night before I got a call that one of my (admittedly lovely) coworkers who ran a specific building was getting the axe so i'd need to go in the morning of and train another person we were throwing into that spot as a hold over. So I get there, I turn everything on and I have this sinking loving pit in my stomach. Get the person settled in and at like 8:30 i make our way over to our main building and there's seagulls eating puke in the parking lot. Just tons of seagulls and puke. And I have the realization im probably getting fired to. I just sit there for a while watching the seagulls.

I make my way through the fence to the hangar and I walk in and... they're like clapping people out with their piles of poo poo in their boxes. The company had a tradition of clapping retirees and stuff. 100 year old company so a lot of weird quirks. So they're clapping people out one by one. I think like 40 people out of 200 got let go. And I walk up to my boss and I'm like "uhhhh" and he's like "oh you are good" and I think I just started crying because the whole morning was so stressful. We lost over half our specific service desk IT team.

edit: also i forgot but when we were cleaning poo poo out we found a gun in someones desk and lol i spent a bunch of time contemplating mortality

:eyepop:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Layoffs - Cost-cutting - C-level pokerface - Workplace recession fears - seagulls eating puke in the parking lot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my roommate got fired last month with eight months' notice, effective next june 30, with a severance check of 25k when it happens

i'd really like a few interviews before everything goes to poo poo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
my mate got laid off except they realised afterwards that he was essential personnel, so he was rehired with an absolutely gigantic pay increase. pretty sure he hosed one of the hr people because god drat

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

net work error posted:

I would like to learn more.

forget defense, they’re too stuck in their ways

work for homeland security, the shadow department of defense! just not the tsa

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I've been through a whole loving slew of layoffs in the last few years due to the 737max crashes just murdering the industry that feeds boeing but my favorite/most horrifying was:

We got a warning 2 weeks before the lay off because they wanted to be nice??? idk. Anyway, it was like the grimmest atmosphere ever and as each day approached you'd see open liquor bottles on peoples desks and poo poo. We all went out and just got loving ripped mid day a few times. The night before I got a call that one of my (admittedly lovely) coworkers who ran a specific building was getting the axe so i'd need to go in the morning of and train another person we were throwing into that spot as a hold over. So I get there, I turn everything on and I have this sinking loving pit in my stomach. Get the person settled in and at like 8:30 i make our way over to our main building and there's seagulls eating puke in the parking lot. Just tons of seagulls and puke. And I have the realization im probably getting fired to. I just sit there for a while watching the seagulls.

I make my way through the fence to the hangar and I walk in and... they're like clapping people out with their piles of poo poo in their boxes. The company had a tradition of clapping retirees and stuff. 100 year old company so a lot of weird quirks. So they're clapping people out one by one. I think like 40 people out of 200 got let go. And I walk up to my boss and I'm like "uhhhh" and he's like "oh you are good" and I think I just started crying because the whole morning was so stressful. We lost over half our specific service desk IT team.

edit: also i forgot but when we were cleaning poo poo out we found a gun in someones desk and lol i spent a bunch of time contemplating mortality

very evocative storytelling. thank you

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive been sitting in this literal office for like 15 years so if i get fired idk how im gonna get rid of this poo poo. its like a whole apartment worth of bullshit ive accumulated here over the years. prob just leave it and schedule 1800 got junk to collect when im gone.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:owned:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that numbers column is a loving mess

there are dozens of us! dozens!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i say swears online posted:

lol that numbers column is a loving mess

there are dozens of us! dozens!

bloomberg laid off their data viz team

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I work for an organization under the umbrella of a university. We had furloughs during COVID and I expect those to return. They also love to freeze new hires (filling vacant positions) while giving piddly little raises to the people left doing several people's jobs. A big sign poo poo is getting real: they canned a new hire still in her probationary period for cause and then tried to fudge the rules where they're supposed to put the person on a performance improvement plan or whatever first. I think managers were just trying to free up cash, but I've never seen that in a decade here.

I'm like six weeks out from taking three months of parental leave and my plan was to look for new, higher paying jobs while I was out. Hope I'm not shooting myself in the dick by appearing expendable and then casting my line into a shrinking job market.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I didn't get fired like I thought I would because one of the old ladies crippled themselves so the person they hired for my job had to take over for the crippled old lady.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't get fired like I thought I would because one of the old ladies crippled themselves so the person they hired for my job had to take over for the crippled old lady.

one of my wife's friends became president of a small medical devices firm after the previous one caught covid before there was a vaccine available and died and she was next in line

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lmao companies laying off despite the workforce being short by millions of workers. What an economy!

War and Pieces posted:

Just put in my two weeks with no job lined up gently caress you [regional hospital chain] you can't just let boomers retire and die of COVID and cover the gaps with overtime and working managers

It's probably ubiquitous throughout America that hospitals are at half of the staffing levels needed to run so it's gonna be real cool and good when they decide to try and claw back those raises that came over the past 2 years or even do layoffs despite no staff already! Or they'll just liquidate to some private equity and just wipe their hands clean of the albatross that is now marginal profit hospitals.

(They are liquidating hospitals all over the country, this is the decision american capitalism has come to when the choice became increase labor wages vs decrease c suite payouts in hospitals)

All they had to do was buy the loving elastomer for staff!

Asproigerosis has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Dec 19, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

Lmao companies laying off despite the workforce being short by millions of workers. What an economy!

it's "because" not "despite". The federal reserve has been extremely clear about this all year

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

War and Pieces posted:

poo poo you just described what I’m about to do at my job

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

one of my wife's friends became president of a small medical devices firm after the previous one caught covid before there was a vaccine available and died and she was next in line

Mistakes into miracles

that is awful

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

19 o'clock posted:

do it it rocks

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Asproigerosis posted:

It's probably ubiquitous throughout America that hospitals are at half of the staffing levels needed to run so it's gonna be real cool and good when they decide to try and claw back those raises that came over the past 2 years or even do layoffs despite no staff already! Or they'll just liquidate to some private equity and just wipe their hands clean of the albatross that is now marginal profit hospitals.

(They are liquidating hospitals all over the country, this is the decision american capitalism has come to when the choice became increase labor wages vs decrease c suite payouts in hospitals)

All they had to do was buy the loving elastomer for staff!

The Applebees are trying desperately to remain open with skeleton crews and reduced hours, so those “open jobs” are exactly what you think they are. Lower middle-class got a bit too greedy and now it’s time to pop them back down to wage slaves.

Also yes I find it insane that hospital wait times and care is degrading and yet all I see are more healthcare facilities consolidating and closing as there are “unprofitable practices” that need “streamlining”

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crazyweasel posted:

Also yes I find it insane that hospital wait times and care is degrading and yet all I see are more healthcare facilities consolidating and closing as there are “unprofitable practices” that need “streamlining”

The Fed is actively trying to squeeze businesses out because, assuming you believe the narrative that labor is to blame for inflation, temporary hiring freezes and layoffs won't do the trick. You have to actually destroy a ton of businesses so that they can't go on hiring sprees again once conditions improve, otherwise you're not fixing the "imbalance." Everyone knows the game and will start downsizing hard sooner or later. The ones that can't make do with permanently reduced staffing levels are the ones that won't make it out the other side.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Smythe posted:

ive been sitting in this literal office for like 15 years so if i get fired idk how im gonna get rid of this poo poo. its like a whole apartment worth of bullshit ive accumulated here over the years. prob just leave it and schedule 1800 got junk to collect when im gone.

same

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Smythe posted:

Why do anything? If you are fired and you don’t want to deal with all the poo poo at your desk, just leave. What is the downside?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Why do anything? If you are fired and you don’t want to deal with all the poo poo at your desk, just leave. What is the downside?

I was fired from a job many years ago and they cleaned out my desk and mailed it to me but I guess it was the wrong desk because it was a whole bunch of somebody else’s family photos and Knick knacks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I was fired from a job many years ago and they cleaned out my desk and mailed it to me but I guess it was the wrong desk because it was a whole bunch of somebody else’s family photos and Knick knacks

"That's the cast of my favorite TV show, The African-American Hour. It's funny, but it also makes you think"

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is like a sitcom episode lol

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So if so much was bullshit jobs does that mean they'll have to choose between cutting some of the bullshit out or losing dramatically more business than they expected? I mean if they have to onshore poo poo too even if they desperately enable what amounts to slavery COVID is going to scythe through the serfs just like it is the prison population.

Worsening medical care is just going to kill even more people, and refusing to lower housing and transit costs is just going to means a significant portion of the workers you lay off go straight to the homeless population instead of competing with their fellows (not even getting started on the losses that occurr whenever they shutter something that actually reduced the amount of workers needed for other industries).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That's another quarters problem. Capitalism only thinks in the near term.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

part of the fun about following the tech layoffs is musing about why random outfits have so many employees
https://twitter.com/Layoffsfyi/status/1603423800548261888?s=20&t=I-vlRaTa8RHGZx-4KxWbNQ

i recall headspace being a big deal 7-8 years ago as an app that played meditation audio but they've somehow ballooned into a 1200 employee shop

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Not sure it was mentioned yet but the engineering director of meta reality labs also left at the same time as carmack. Is reality labs going to be around much longer?

quote:

META-Facebook Executive Joins Quantarium Visual Labs
Quantarium
News provided by

Dec 14, 2022, 09:07 ET

Senior Director at META Reality Labs to lead AI-based Visual Technologies for Northwest Real Estate Technology Firm

BELLEVUE, Wash., Dec. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Claudiu Bulai, who led the engineering organization of renowned META-Facebook Reality Labs Research, the innovation organization enabling META's Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR/VR) initiatives, has joined Quantarium as Chief Innovation Officer.

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
I work for the local electric company here and my department has been understaffed for a while. my manager keeps interviewing people only for them to ghost us when they find out that they can’t work full remote. it’s a job that 100% can be done remotely but the C Suite insists on 3 days in the office minimum. That eases my layoff fears, as well as regulated utilities being relatively recession proof. Still worried since I get all of my day’s work done in like 20 minutes most days, and don’t want to be laid off as superfluous.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I’m also a bit concerned. I’m part of a strategic change program which is code for lmao bye because we are still a few years from generating positive value. I suppose I could always go back to a product team, but if the rest of the big tech shops are having huge layoffs I might actually have to compete with good people?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

19 o'clock posted:

I talked myself down into submitting FMLA/Personal leave

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

TehSaurus posted:

I’m part of a strategic change program

lol

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

exactly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

part of the fun about following the tech layoffs is musing about why random outfits have so many employees
https://twitter.com/Layoffsfyi/status/1603423800548261888?s=20&t=I-vlRaTa8RHGZx-4KxWbNQ

i recall headspace being a big deal 7-8 years ago as an app that played meditation audio but they've somehow ballooned into a 1200 employee shop

https://twitter.com/Surgeon_General/status/1604922834102485018?t=It9FsZMjsRrWALRgZSaSAA&s=19

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
of course we need 1200 people to run a YT music compilation channel

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if i had to guess a big chunk of those employees are sales reps, account managers, and assorted infrastructure trying to sell headspace as an enterprise employee wellness app. ive definitely worked at places that prominently featured free (for us) meditation apps as a perk lol.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

looked them up and lol

quote:

Meditation App Headspace Relieved Stress for Everyone but Its Own Employees, Say Former Staff

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...=uverify%20wall
Before the pandemic relegated most meetings to video conference, employees at the mental wellness app Headspace gathered each morning at 10 a.m. for a guided meditation led by the company’s co-founder, a charismatic Brit and former monk. They sat on wooden benches in Headspace’s airy, sun-drenched office in Santa Monica, California, taking deep, calming breaths.
“I absolutely had to go to therapy,” said one former staffer, who like other people who talked to Bloomberg, spoke on condition of anonymity in order to preserve their future job prospects. Three other people also said they started seeing psychiatrists to help process the stress of working at the company.
Working from home, some people described sitting through back-to-back Zoom meetings for 12 or more hours. One person remembers crying along with colleagues over video conference more than once at the end of the day because they hadn’t had time to eat lunch or use the bathroom.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

War and Pieces posted:

I talked myself down into submitting FMLA/Personal leave

I'm still deciding. Set next Thursday as "Resignation Day" in my (non work) calendar.