Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Should have named it Silent Hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Super Mario 64 ruled hard when I was a kid but like half the levels suck poo poo or are boring now lol. I go back to Banjo Kazooie for p much the perfect N64 plattyformer

Kilbas
Feb 1, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Super Mario 64 ruled hard when I was a kid but like half the levels suck poo poo or are boring now lol. I go back to Banjo Kazooie for p much the perfect N64 plattyformer

Banjo only has 2 levels that are enjoyable in the slightest, immediately after the beach it just becomes a slog

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It took until Mario Odyssey for Nintendo to make a 3D game where Mario is good to control and the levels are good also. However, Mario 64 and to a lesser extent Sunshine have such extremely good controls that even their mediocre and anemic level design are heightened in a speedrun environment.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
A mario 64 challenge is dont jack off to peach. fail every time

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I played the A-button challenge video in bed last night to fall asleep by. It worked like a charm.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kilbas posted:

Banjo only has 2 levels that are enjoyable in the slightest, immediately after the beach it just becomes a slog

It’s not an easy game. I sincerely doubt I could have completed that one without the players guide. It’s still incredible, though. Top 5 for the system

For context, Ocarina of Time is imo the objective best game for N64

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Why did they change Princess Toadstool to Peach anyway? When I was a kid playing Mario 64 for the first time I thought her signing her name peach at the end of the letter was just the Princess having a stroke, peach is a fruit wtf

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hell of a video

Enjoyed it greatly

Haven't slept like that in months

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I can't understand any of the technical rambling in the videos besides "game broken" but I like listening to it as background noise.

EEKA GEEK posted:

“This kinda sucks... doesn’t look like it will age well... (I definitely thought this as a kid) gonna play Bubsy 3D instead”

Anyone who says sm64 sucked in real time should also say what contemporary games they thought were better so they can be appropriately and mercilessly clowned upon

When I was a kid raised on the N64 I thought Nintendo's three big franchises were Mario, Zelda, and Quest 64. I did not have good taste or sense as a kid.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Majoras Mask is better than OoT but Windwaker is clearly the best, with Z2 Adventure of Link as a close second.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zelda II sucks poo poo virtually entirely on the basis that you have to walk all the gently caress back to what you were doing when you die. Game legit ruined by one bad choice in where you respawn on continues

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

100% an emulator save state game. I played it legit on my NES about a year back and it was annoying asf

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Zelda 2 had the most obtuse poo poo so it makes it the one of the worst but it is also an actual challenge so it's one of the best

Wind Waker looks the best but it was pretty easy even for a modern Zelda game which is kind of disappointing

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
OK I've never beat Z2 you caught me red handed.

But I sure played it more than Mario 64

gently caress you Thunderbird

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Windwaker may be the only game I 100% tho. Had ALL the photo sculptures :smug:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MM is the best for me. Perfect difficulty, really great, open boss design that let you use multiple tools to win, great atmosphere, story, and characters, they somehow made the time limit flexible yet tense and gave you means to alter it a bit, some of the best side quests in the entire series.

Too bad the 3DS remake/remaster ruined the bosses, loving wack as hell

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
MM is still 100 hands down my favorite. Unfortunately I had to play the GameCube port and it crashed a lot.

3DS nerfed it yes. It was still fun tho.

Now I want to track down a copy of Phantom Hourglass and Silent Hill 4

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
gonna bounce on my boys goomba clone to this

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Goomba can't even cooperate to make a Venn diagram

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

100% an emulator save state game. I played it legit on my NES about a year back and it was annoying asf

i beat it on a NES back in the day. never gettin' that time back :/

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
uh did they think of just pressing the a button to jump? jeez some people are bad at games

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Shadowrun on SNES was the pinnacle of gaming and it didn't have no stinking jump buttons

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can stop now

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

eh I'll wait for the Karl Jobst video after it's revealed that someone or everyone involved cheated

Karl Jobst, like his Literal Nazi Pal RWhiteGoose, should be shunned forever.

Also for his "you absolute legends" poo poo.

Private Cumshoe posted:

Why did they change Princess Toadstool to Peach anyway? When I was a kid playing Mario 64 for the first time I thought her signing her name peach at the end of the letter was just the Princess having a stroke, peach is a fruit wtf

"Princess Peach" was her Japanese name, when Mario 64 came around they just decided to unify the names for both regions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Reading about hundreds and possibly thousands of people trying to actively redefine what “pressing a button” means has been fascinating in the anthropological sense but I feel dumber for having even looked.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Someone upthread this is the worst sub genre of gaming videos- I beg to differ. Tool assisted speedruns have got to be the most worthless thing- at least these meaningless self-imposed challenges add some difficulty and skill to the games, there’s nothing interesting watching someone with an aimbot pick off enemies without even facing them.

“How fast can I go if I cheat” well it’ll be unimpressive no matter how fast you go because you barely did anything :shrug:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Konar posted:

probably aged the worst of any main mario game

holy poo poo

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's not even close, the game kinda sucked on release

holy loving poo poo

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

EEKA GEEK posted:

Someone upthread this is the worst sub genre of gaming videos- I beg to differ. Tool assisted speedruns have got to be the most worthless thing- at least these meaningless self-imposed challenges add some difficulty and skill to the games, there’s nothing interesting watching someone with an aimbot pick off enemies without even facing them.

“How fast can I go if I cheat” well it’ll be unimpressive no matter how fast you go because you barely did anything :shrug:

It actually takes an insane amount of skill to make a proper TAS. Since you still need to know where every enemy is, how they will move, how to move, etc. Since you have to input everything ahead of time. They can take a very long time to craft. It's still effectively playing the game, but you're programming every move you make ahead of time.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Kchama posted:

It actually takes an insane amount of skill to make a proper TAS. Since you still need to know where every enemy is, how they will move, how to move, etc. Since you have to input everything ahead of time. They can take a very long time to craft. It's still effectively playing the game, but you're programming every move you make ahead of time.

not to mention that if you're going to be exploiting glitches, you need a pretty deep understanding of the game's code and the hardware it runs on. the explanations of that sort of thing are the most interesting part of A-button guy's videos, imo

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

EEKA GEEK posted:

I am a busy man and do not have time to watch speedruns over 25 seconds long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSsTm_yz0U

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

EEKA GEEK posted:

I hate to tell you this, but this is a TAS.

unless you want to wait literally years to build up speed and make thousands of sequential frame-perfect inputs

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

When dexterity and reflexes are no longer a limit, speedrunning actually becomes harder because limits that gave you direction fall away and the whole possibility space of gamestates opens up. Suddenly, every single opportunity to act in every possible way has to be considered for whether it's the absolute fastest possible act or not, minutes or hours before the clock stops. It's a tremendous undertaking to TAS anything.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I clicked on this thread because it said "mario 64" in the title, and I liked Mario 64 as a kid, and now I'm finding myself sympathizing with team TAS.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TAS authors are also often real-time runners, and their discoveries and innovations inform real-time runners' strategies. It's like sports medicine.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

TAS authors are also often real-time runners, and their discoveries and innovations inform real-time runners' strategies. It's like sports medicine.

username post combo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They call me DoctorWhat

I'm not a real doctor but I am a real What

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i watched the whole thing over the course of a few evenings and its bad at being a guide cause its not detailed enough about the things it talks about and its bad as a summary because it's too detailed. really awful video produce-ing. still a fascinating subject though, just for the sheer madness of it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It lacks the raw charisma of the Watch for Rolling Rocks classic : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A