Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

i'm surprised to learn that google screens ai text given that that's every search results they provide me except reddit, wikipedia and stackoverflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
> grob flappler review

- Which Grob Flappler should you buy in 2023?

- Best Grob Flapplers for 2022

- Grob Flappler Review for iPhone/Android

- Grob Flappler vs Flab Grobbler Feature Comparison

- The Top Ten Grob Flapplers of 2023
In this article we will look at the best Grob Flapplers you can buy in 2023. Comparing Grob Flapplers can be difficult, but we've done the hard work of comparing them all and comparing their varied features. With so many Grob Flapplers on the market, this article will tell you how to find the best Grob Flappler for your money! But first, what is a Grob Flappler?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

infernal machines posted:

it's always ffmpeg

someone please get me that post about the foss tool with a weird name without which the internet would collapse. although ffmpeg bucks the trend by being maintained by not just one guy in czechia

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

tyvm

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i skimmed it and had a post ready but then i clicked the wrong button on my phone and lost it

my vague understanding is that there are 4 NNs building on each other, one of which is trained by mimicking yet another network, so there are lots of places some error can creep in. it doesn't build a dense 3d image directly from wifi, it uses a network trained on wifi and camera to build a 2d "image" from 3 wifi signals, then does keypoint extraction on that "image" to detect humans and joints and stuff, then turns that into 3d. so probably if a keypoint gets missed that entire body part just vanishes. likewise in the second row it seems like it wrongly labelled part of a chair back as a head keypoint, and then hallucinated a whole 3d head model to go with it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's cool to think that there are likely thousands of companies out there doing similar leaning towers of NNs to decide your insurance or credit score or healthcare, except nobody is making them publish how fragile they are (maybe the EU is going to, a little bit, eventually)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i do think that's a pretty cool idea in the paper though and it's insane that it works even a bit

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

NoneMoreNegative posted:

quite the opposite!

im telling my kids this is what a cd walkman was

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jabor posted:

you might find this take from a fellow educator interesting: https://acoup.blog/2023/02/17/collections-on-chatgpt/

the author, despite (or perhaps because of?) being in classics rather than a tech-adjacent field, seems to have a much better idea of what chatgpt is actually capable of than most people i've seen talking about it

this guy understands chatgpt and ai better than almost any tech journalist writing about it. the ted chiang piece he references is worth a read though

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
weird how the guy trained in critically reading sources and investigating unreliable claims in pursuit of putting together a cogent thesis is easily able to see through openai's bullshit. i love how the structure of the piece itself is a rebuttal of the arguments he's debunking - it's a perfect example of the kind of essay chatgpt could never produce

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 22, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Improbable Lobster posted:

i think that a lot of very stupid people got told that computers work like the human brain when they were young, assumed the opposite was also true and now think any moderately convincing chatbot is skynet

not really helped by calling our big piles of sums "neural networks" with "neurons" that perform "learning" and "artificial intelligence". it gives people all kinds of stupid ideas

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i think there are already essays on postmodernism you can go and read if you want

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
microalgae for carbon sequestration is a real thing (or at least is being tried seriously), but you tend to do it in a desert near the coast, where there is a tonne of sunlight and seawater available but you can't grow plants. hard to see what the advantage is here over just having some trees. there are even actual trees in those photos!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i was talking to a friend who works in seo recently and as you might expect they have been using chatgpt a tonne to write plausible-looking articles that are not intended to ever be read by anyone except google

in a sane world you might wonder why we need to put all this effort into producing millions of websites written by nobody, read by nobody, but this is the cyberpunk thread so you all know the answer already

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

dioxazine posted:

did the internet used to be vibrant and full of life or was it always a desolate wasteland?

thinking too deeply about this is probably inadvisable

i think webrings were pretty cool back in the day, but maybe that's just nostalgia talking

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

infernal machines posted:

it blew my mind when i discovered what rotating polarizing filters did when i was a kid. poo poo was like magic

check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm2LCsM_S5o

2 polarizing filters @ 90 degrees: dark
third polarizing filter placed between them at 45 degrees: light

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
sorry, i thought you were talking about just two filters together blocking light. adding the third one is what makes it really strange imo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
liz truss killed the queen like 9 months later and nobody cared then. get this guy some help and let him go imo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
feels like i'm wearing nothing at all!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
e: oops thought this was the tesla thread

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
cool

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
seveneves could have ended after part two and been fine or even after part one and been better and still a full-length novel. instead there was an incredibly tedious part three that made you forget there was anything good in the first parts

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Toadsmash posted:

what part 3 was there, i remember everything up to the end of the world as part 1, everything after as part 2

i assume your part 3 is my part 2

post apocalypse was an ok standalone scifi story but it had no right being part of the same story

then you would just kind of :stare: over all these made up tribal names or whatevers and just kind of giggle hysterically at very tropey typical fanficy scifi

maybe i'm not remembering right, it's been a while since i read it. the space stuff was cool, the far future stuff was weird and yeah seemed like it should have been a different book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
yeah reamde was dreadful. must have been something about the very early 2010s because it came out just after a rare miss from greg egan with zendegi, also about mmorpg bullshit

e: lol ready player one came out the same year