Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I doubt Moy realizes that Keith comes across as a huge piece of poo poo who's only doing this so he can force his daughter to see what a cool and good cop person he is.

I suspect she does. She knows exactly how people feel about Wilbur, for example, yet here he is, presiding over today's strip.

That doesn't mean I think Keith isn't going to get exactly what he wants out of this storyline. Moy may know how Keith comes across to Internet lefties like us, but she also knows which side her bread is buttered on and who the primary readership of newspaper comics is. I'm interested to see whether she even tries to thread the needle by pointing out his hypocrisy and getting him to make an effort to improve, or whether she just says "gently caress it" and lets him win the story, no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
While there are still a few hours left in 2023 (at least in my neck of the woods):

Wallace the Brave, Phoebe and Her Unicorn, and Breaking Cat News continue to be favorites of mine, although BCN kinda lost me with the whole Mole War storyline. Stick to funny stories about your cats Georgia, and we'll be fine.

I can't express enough how much I love the new Flash Gordon, though I wonder how long the author will be able to keep the quality up. I'll have to check out his other works as people itt have recommended. This comic makes up for the disappointing Mara Llave.

I'm also loving We Are Reproducing. My sister just had her first child in June, so the timing of this strip is fortuitous.

I kinda like the soap opera strips Rex Morgan and Mary Worth. Not always great mind you, but occasionally some stroylines turn out to be really fun to read.

Of the older strips I mostly follow Out Our Way. I try to keep up with most of the others, but sometimes their is so many and I'm usually reading them during a slow period at work, so I don't always give them the attention they deserve.

I am liking Archie and Li'l Abner, although I often have to force myself to read Abner after reading Al Capp's biography.

Both versions of Prince Valiant are great.

Of the strips I don't like / hate read Dustin comes to mind first, for reasons I think most of this thread shares. I'm kinda fascinated by Funky Winkerbean / Crankshaft as you have these comics that were a bit of a phenomenon, but I never heard of them until I was in my thirties since my local papers never ran any of Batiuk's comics. I've been following the Son of Stuck Funky website and have liked the article were they use Batiuk's writing to show what not to do.

While I can't say I like Luann, i don't actively hate it other. That comic has been running in my local papers since I was a kid so I think I'm kinda immune to it's dullness.

Just wanted to share my thoughts like others. Those aren't the only comics I read of course, but 2023 is almost over and I don't want to take up more thread space. Happy New Year to my fellow readers and posters in this thread.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

I suspect she does. She knows exactly how people feel about Wilbur, for example, yet here he is, presiding over today's strip.

That doesn't mean I think Keith isn't going to get exactly what he wants out of this storyline. Moy may know how Keith comes across to Internet lefties like us, but she also knows which side her bread is buttered on and who the primary readership of newspaper comics is. I'm interested to see whether she even tries to thread the needle by pointing out his hypocrisy and getting him to make an effort to improve, or whether she just says "gently caress it" and lets him win the story, no questions asked.
The CK comments were way more pro-Keith than not when I took a look a few days ago. (although not universally, and there's a lot of people who just shitpost) Incidentally I don't recommend wading through CK comments.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Giant Ethicist posted:

Well, it's 2024 here, but not in the thread, so here's one more post - which also finishes up the chapter of BH, which would be weird to do in a first post in a new thread anyhoo.

We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

End of Chapter 9: Snow!

Such an amazing and wild story, as always with Q-Rais

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

who are all these people this strip is about Mud Truck Ferguson and Rene

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 2-6, 2004)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Medenmath posted:

Q-Rais is the good kind of weird IMO.

Here's my controversial comment for the end of the year: Heathcliff is the bad kind of weird. It's monkey cheese, but also repetitive. I try to avoid being negative about strips (except maybe Dustin or something) but I don't like Heathcliff at all. There, I said it.

Other random thoughts:

Flash Gordon is the best reboot we've seen in these threads and I hope Schkade can maintain the quality.

Scarlet O'Neil is absurd in the best way, I love it.

My guilty confession is that I have been enjoying the Kevin & Kell posts. The strip is fun to read, if perhaps for reasons not intended by Holbrook.

I'm very grateful for everyone posting old comics, translated comics (especially if you're the one doing the translations!), or really any other kind of comics. Comics! Comics!!

Heathcliff is trying for a sort of surreal where its repetitive nonsense starts to take on a type of moon logic of its own. I really do enjoy it, but it's not to everyone's taste, for completely legitimate reasons.

I'd echo the rest of this, especially the stunningly good Flash Gordon and my deep love of generally-translated comics. Fingerpori especially.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There are so many comics in this thread, I'm glad they're being posted. Even the bad ones! I keep on trying to pick out ones I'm particularly looking forward to seeing more of, and it's real hard.

One last WAR baby for the year:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Regarding the current Mary Worth storyline:

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I assume there’s to be some sort of twist in the reveal, and I predict it will be feeble.
I have a sinking feeling we just saw the only twist that this story has in it.

On another topic, one comic that I haven't seen called out for year-end kudos is Andertoons. It's often very funny, and it's rather rare for it to come in below a nice solid "good". Its overall average is high enough that I include it in my top three humorous strips on today's comics page, alongside Wallace the Brave and Arlo & Janis.

For non-humor (action/drama/etc.) strips, which I consider a completely different category, Flash Gordon has easily knocked The Phantom out of my top spot. The man who cannot die is dead; long live the earthman.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Perth left out again. :australia:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
De-lurking to say thank you all for posting all these comic strips for good and for ill. Hope you all have a safe and happy New Years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Missed opportunity to have made it a 1996 calendar

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
This is the best thread in the forums. :haibrow:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
may've overimbibed, so instead of making a sloppy rear end out of myself on my year-end comics reflection, I'm just gonna say: thread rules. Love Heathcliff, understand why people hate it, but I can't stand Breaking Cat News so I call it even. Thanks a ton to everyone who posts archival and/or foreign stuff, it's so cool experiencing the world and history through the funny pages, and almost makes up the hole in my heart where Mopsy et al. used to be. Wallace owns. Always be posting Wallace.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:cheers:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LvK posted:

I'm just gonna say: thread rules.

:emptyquote:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

i love to read and post comics, even if they are bad, even if they are good

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Old Archies are way hornier than I thought they’d be, but I probably should have expected that. So many incidental characters are drawn with such careful attention, like that teacher who wished she could cram a lot of Latin into Jughead.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Flash Gordon is the big winner of the revivalists. The old Archies and Invisible Scarlett O'Neill continue to be a treasure, and Breaking Cat News still hit me in the good places (once we got past the Mole War).

Anyway, before we lock the door on 2023, it's one more A Sketchy Life for December 29, 1927! And the editors seem to be doing something a little different this year.

So more or less no new(-old stock) cartoons this week. Perfect excuse to roll a recap of my own. One for each month, to keep things sane (with a couple of exceptions).

January 6 (but posted with the 13th) posted:

And one of the ones I left out last week, reprinted without a signature from the German satire magazine Lustige Blätter:

February 3 posted:

A bunch of little LJ Holton panels (at least I think that's his squiggle) that dotted this issue like measles, so I bundled them into a single page for convenience...

...except for this one, which got away until the last minute.

(That's Brodie as in Steve, by the way.)

And then there's this Ellison Hoover spread, which was supposed to be the most ludicrous thing imaginable, and not so accurate a prediction of the future that I couldn't decide which cartooning museum should get the "who's the wise guy now?" link.

March 17th posted:

Johnny "Raggedy Ann" Gruelle:

April 7 posted:

Brown (a first name would be nice, but not necessary just yet):

April 14 posted:

A real humdinger of a two pager from Frederik Strothmann:

May 19 posted:

Herb Roth (or herb roth, if you're being a stickler about it):

June 16 posted:

James Montgomery Flagg:

Tom Mix (1880-1940) was Hollywood's first western star, appearing in 291 films over his career, all but nine of which were silent. And somehow I felt I had to tell you all that and just assumed you'd know Lon Chaney without an introduction.

And in something which I anticipate is going to be a running theme for the immediate future, Charles Dana Gibson joins the Lindy hopheads.

July 7 posted:

Ellison Hoover takes you to a Florida school board meeting:

August 25 posted:

We open with a double shot (and at least one unfortunate recontextualization) from Bruce Bairnsfather.

September 29 posted:

And one from a guy who's usually working the theater beat, Robert Benchley:

He's not a cartoonist, but boy howdy is he ever a sketch artist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAzXL4Kr320

October 13 posted:

Oliver Herford gives a salute to one of Life's own:

November 24 posted:

And from the ain't-from-around-here quarantine page, Alf Jackson:

December 15 posted:

a Fred G Cooper page.

As always, thread stuff has been one of the bright spots of my past twelve months (especially the way this year went (don't ask)), so forever forward in 2024. See you there.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 1, 2024

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I like at least half of the stuff being posted, in particular the classic Valiant and Archie. The reboot of Flash is also really good so far and the Nancy reboot is at least better than average in my eyes. Oh, and the Invisible Scarlett O'Neill is pretty funny unintentionally.

I just scroll past the stuff I don't care about and it's not terrible but just doesn't appeal to me.

For some reason my eyes just slide off of Scary Go Round and I can't tell if it's the art style or the story, I just can't get into it. Oh well. Looking forward to a new year and thread!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Thank you all for making this thread what it is. I would like to show my appreciation for the single panel wonders of F Minus, Rhymes With Orange, and Andertoons that are always worth a look. Hägar the Horrible is the comic I'd say has seen the most improvement this past year, and I know I'm not alone in having grown much more fond of Arlo and Janis over a longer period of time. Wallace the Brave, Crabgrass, and Zits are easy choices for overall favorites with the quality of their average strips, but Rae the Doe can really do it for me when it wants to go for a really contrived and laborious pun. And while I may be biased as the person posting them, I do enjoy hate-reading Intelligent Life and Legend of Bill.

Now... 2024 comix

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Looking forward to posting Blueberry and Corto Maltese in the new year!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Happy New Year, y'all. Thanks for another year of daily posting joy and guffaws, chuckles and grumbles.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

as for me, i do love a Heathcliff, i'd die for Jimmy.

Arlo and Janis, Take it from the Tinkersons, every Easy EW comic, Heart of the City, Wallace, and Sally Forth all have shooters and they're all me!!! the only comic i wish was dead for real is Luann.

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 28, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

i'll crosspost to the new thread when it's up!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Yes, in Finnish the stands for Christmas trees are called "feet", and the same thing applies for many other things. You don't use a kick stand to keep a bike upright, you use a standing foot!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll repost these in the 2024 thread when it's made, but I have a few minutes before I have to go run a 5K (I am a dummy!)

THORN, November 22-29, 1982

Note 1:

quote:

Barely A. Foulword
This character is a parody of televangelist Jerry Falwell who led the Moral Majority, a political/religious organization whose goal was to further the beliefs of the Christian right into presidential politics, particularly within the Republican Party.
Here's a contemporary photo of Falwell:

quote:

Jerry Laymon Falwell Sr.[a] (August 11, 1933 – May 15, 2007)[3] was an American Independent Baptist pastor, televangelist, and conservative activist.[4] He was the founding pastor of the Thomas Road Baptist Church, a megachurch in Lynchburg, Virginia. He founded Lynchburg Christian Academy (Liberty Christian Academy) in 1967, founded Liberty University in 1971, and co-founded the Moral Majority in 1979.
Rest in piss.

We also get the introduction of another pretty major character: The Cartoonist. Fans of Bone will note this is a departure - Thorn will get a bit meta here in a way Bone never does.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
New year, new thread! But do keep an eye on this thread, as there's still one big finale to officially close it out!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

As promised, one last finale. I'd hoped to do finish this before the year ended, but Pancho was gracious enough to leave the thread open long enough that I could close out The Demons of Baseball with some fairly gigantic posts. Apologies if the tension of how I space these is key to your enjoyment. Only one way to find out!

The Demons of Baseball

edit: I've decided against rushing the remaining pages. Future historians can see how the story ends here.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 2, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
GodDAMN Maggie's sister is my new favorite in this comic. All things can be done through spite.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
That's all folks! See you in

Comic Strips 2024: Guess That Means I'm A Plugger