Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

here's the thing with grenade launchers - you only need one to kill a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

phantom’s not gonna gently caress her if she kills all his soldiers

That just makes it hotter

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which the chicken mystery comes to an early conclusion. (June 14-16, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (August 19-21, 1920)

Dok's Dippy Rehire (July 23, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 16-18, 1937)

And now the moment we've been building to, where...
oh no...OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Well fooey, isn't that our luck sometimes.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 14, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 18-19, 1992)

Big Nate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 28, 2001)

Comics Kingdom hasn't updated yet!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here's a fun exercise for everyone. Two possibly untranslatable Fingerporis with some cultural and language context, so everyone can try to come up with their own translations!

The sign: THE JYVÄSKYLÄ SMALL DRIVE.
There's a famous rally in Finland, literally called the "Jyväskylän suurajot", "Jyväskylä Grand Drive". This is of course a play on words on that. I have no idea how to try to translate this. Possibly just Jyväskylä Petit Prix? Does that play?

Headline: "Man, express emotions"
Second panel: "That guy's nervous!"

The play on words here is that "express emotions" and "point at emotions" are the same, so the guy in the second panel is literally pointing at someone having an emotion.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
"men should communicate feelings"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

or just "show feelings"?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 24, 1955)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MS-DOSi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/31/03

Brenda Starr 4/27-29/50

Smokey Stover 9/7/52

Everyday Movies 1/22/36

"Get me fifty cents worth of nickels, Gert, and I'll tell him a few things."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/19-21/40

Yes, the Guiding Eye staff are barely fazed by having an invisible person speak to and touch them. No, this will not be followed up.

Bonus Comic! Daddy Warbucks would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

Little Orphan Annie 4/29/50

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 1, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sweet Jesus, that shading is about 100x as dramatic as strictly necessary

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I wonder if he's based on a real person the artist has met, or has a photograph of.

That said, I assumed [Jerry] was also blind, but I guess the strip is probably only going to introduce blind people with canes or dogs.

Rereading; Yeah, this is a bit weird. "Scarlet has decided to stay invisible to everyone, but will still interact with people like she's visible, because she's decided everyone she meets in Johnstown, New Jersey is blind until told otherwise."

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 1, 2023

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The second strip does make a fair amount more sense if Jerry is blind, I think?

But the level of sense I expect from Scarlet O'Neil is pretty low.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

This is a whole lot closer to how I've actually helped sight-impaired individuals learn their surroundings and how to navigate them than I expected two panels of goddamn Invisible Scarlet O'Neil from 1940 to look.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PREVIOUS PLAN: Raise a blind boy for 6-7 years to eventually swindle him for $40,000
NEW PLAN: Cripple that blind boy (the money is now an afterthought)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (December 16-18, 1937)

And now the moment we've been building to, where...
oh no...OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Well fooey, isn't that our luck sometimes.

This whole arc, I've been wondering how hard it is to notice that a guy has brass knuckles on. I really feel like it would be kinda obvious.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sweet Jesus, that shading is about 100x as dramatic as strictly necessary
Real “Here we don’t need eyes to see” energy.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

^^ I said it before and I'll say it now: this is for some reason possibly my favourite ANSU drawing. ^^

Fingerpori

silmänisku = wink
silmä = eye
isku = hit
silmänisku = hit of the eye
sain silmäniskun = I got a wink
sain silmäniskun = I got a hit of the eye
(Using the word to mean "punched in the eye" doesn't flow very well despite being understandable as such, so there isn't much of a chance of this term being confused with other meanings.)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here's a fun exercise for everyone. Two possibly untranslatable Fingerporis with some cultural and language context, so everyone can try to come up with their own translations!

There's a famous rally in Finland, literally called the "Jyväskylän suurajot", "Jyväskylä Grand Drive". This is of course a play on words on that. I have no idea how to try to translate this. Possibly just Jyväskylä Petit Prix? Does that play?

Probably “Mini Drive” since it looks like the guy is driving a mini-bike.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Powe...w_1675264546753

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Probably “Mini Drive” since it looks like the guy is driving a mini-bike.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Powe...w_1675264546753

Yeah it's a minibike of some kind, probably a Honda Monkey, the staple of every Finnish teenage rear end in a top hat for decades.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Headline: "Man, express emotions"
Second panel: "That guy's nervous!"

The play on words here is that "express emotions" and "point at emotions" are the same, so the guy in the second panel is literally pointing at someone having an emotion.

these are the best fingerporis.

The first one is probably best translated through "The Big Bike Race" -> "The Little Bike Race" -> "The Minibike Race" pathway.

For the second, idk anything at all about Finnish grammar (learn to indo-european lol) - from what I see it's a morphological language? So idk how imperatives work to really understand the fuller sense of what the original contains. Maybe it needs expansion in English to pick up some secondary sense, like rather than simply "show emotion" it would need "It's good to show emotion".

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 24, 1955)

I wonder if any of them are starting to think it might have been easier after all to sail down the Med and up the Atlantic coast. They might have to fight their way through Gibraltar, but at least they wouldn't be hauling the drat boats uphill. Again. :argh:

I feel seen.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

drat those are fine elephant facts.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Twitter user @MyrlCrowe does edits to comic strip panels and uses a new one as their avatar every day. They've done "Dick Tracy" and "Rex Morgan" in the past (and probably others as well), and are currently doing panels from "Mary Worth". They keep an archive of all of their avatars on the @UsedAvatars feed. It's beautiful nightmare fuel.

https://twitter.com/UsedAvatars/status/1620735177688485889?s=20

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 1, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sexy twitter has gone to weird places.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 18, 1935)

Suspiciously close to a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iwpfuqV788

Peanuts (February 4, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 19, 1989)

Dinkleshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire, featuring the most sinister-looking RJ yet.

Thimble Theater (September 2, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 19-21, 1940; timg'd for a relatively harmless gag, but Ick is still drawn the way Ick is always drawn. :shrug:)

Bonus panel from the 21st: Hold Everything, which was drawn by Clyde Lewis, which would've been good for our purposes except Lewis jumped ship from NEA to King Features in mid-1940 to do more of the same under the "Snickeroos" title, and then soldiering gags as "Private Buck". I have no idea who took over for him, but I won't say no to mayhem, even if I can't put a name to it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Alhazred posted:

Noor
by Noor Hoelsbrekken Eckhoff

Literally all I know about this strip is that it's made by a female football soccer player, so expect a lot of jokes about that I guess.

https://www.tv2.no/sport/fotball/noor-22-lever-av-fotball-og-tegneserier-min-form-for-meditasjon/15059674/

I was curious, so I looked her up. Plays in Sweden right now, was on the U23s over the last few seasons, and her first senior national team call-up (didn't play) back in September. Neat!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Um Bread

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

jesus

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian