Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

The layoffs fly directly in the face of economic science too, its basically just a bunch of scared rich people trying to satisfy shareholders and protect their own pockets.

I think some of the big tech companies had gotten a little excessive with headcount recession or no. Hiring just to fiefdom build is something I've seen before, I wonder if that was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

slurm posted:

I think some of the big tech companies had gotten a little excessive with headcount recession or no. Hiring just to fiefdom build is something I've seen before, I wonder if that was going on.

Yeah, you'll note that the big tech companies with layoffs are almost all still hiring. I think it's more that there were entire divisions of of these companies that aren't directly doing what drives their revenue. So for example Amazon is scaling back Alexa and laying off associated engineers. The risk that macroeconomic changes may impact their real business down the line is the impetus to shake out some of the moonshot efforts that haven't gone anywhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah, you'll note that the big tech companies with layoffs are almost all still hiring. I think it's more that there were entire divisions of of these companies that aren't directly doing what drives their revenue. So for example Amazon is scaling back Alexa and laying off associated engineers. The risk that macroeconomic changes may impact their real business down the line is the impetus to shake out some of the moonshot efforts that haven't gone anywhere.

Large companies often post positions for hire they have no intent of filling, its a tax dodge.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

Secret Services Mass Attacks in Public Spaces 2016-2020 just released. I posted it in the mass shootings thread with some highlights but think folks would...enjoy isn't the right word but enjoy reading it.

Christ did I get the last-post-on-page-snipe in both goddamn threads.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

Christ did I get the last-post-on-page-snipe in both goddamn threads.

did they make it into the secret service report

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sexual Lorax posted:

did they make it into the secret service report

Is this a public place? I think i'd have to do 4 threads for it to count as mass.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
All 5 former Memphis cops collecting charges.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CommieGIR posted:

Large companies often post positions for hire they have no intent of filling, its a tax dodge.

I have colleagues at some tech companies currently going through layoffs who are still trying to poach me. They've all said some variant of "money losing divisions are downsizing but the core money makers are still hiring." One of my coworkers just got poached by a currently downsizing tech major too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Don’t underestimate that, for tech especially, the end of nearly free money last year means they’re cutting way back on those risky, money-losing ventures.

Easy to take risks when the cash is easy to come by. Hence the hiring for profitable teams.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Charges on the Memphis cops:

quote:

The officers are charged with the following:
Justin Smith – Two counts of official misconduct, official oppression, second-degree murder, aggravated assault and two counts of aggravated kidnapping.
Tadarrius Bean – Second- degree murder, aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of official misconduct and official oppression.
Demetrius Haley – Second degree murder, aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of official misconduct and official oppression.
Emmitt Martin III – Second degree murder, aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of official misconduct and official oppression.
Desmond Mills Jr. – Second degree murder, aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of official misconduct and official oppression.
https://wreg.com/news/local/tyre-nichols/five-officers-involved-in-tyre-nichols-death-booked-into-jail/

That was pretty fast, all things considered.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
What the hell did they do to that man?!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Literally beat him into death by organ failure.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cops have done that before. Plenty of people have died in police custody of "heart attack" or "respiratory failure" or some other bullshit and the power structure never failed to close ranks around their enforcers. Was this instance especially heinous or is it simply a matter of race?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
in national news: holy poo poo the nothingburger Durham/Barr investigation was dirty as hell

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1618684177792262144?t=iAf8Jz5J9iS7z43hrf8ZJw&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At this rate I'm expecting the video to show this poor fucker getting turned into jelly.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

A.o.D. posted:

Cops have done that before. Plenty of people have died in police custody of "heart attack" or "respiratory failure" or some other bullshit and the power structure never failed to close ranks around their enforcers. Was this instance especially heinous or is it simply a matter of race?

Not sure. But the video is being released soon from what I've read, so I guess we'll see.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ive heard it described as as bad as al sharpton but by 5 people each. I wont be watching it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Even the Police Chief went on record saying he found the recording especially heinous. So yeah, I won't be watching the video.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

https://amp.marca.com/en/lifestyle/uk-news/2023/01/25/63d16def46163f39bb8b4576.html

AH HA HA HA HA!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

Five black cops charged with murder, could it be a matter of race?

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
The murder happened because they were cops.

Them getting fired and CHARGED with murder is because they're black.

If they weren't black, we'd likely be seeing media character assassination of the victim and closed ranks. Along with hearing "Gosh, it's just such a dangerous job sometimes these things happen to violent criminals like this, he shouldn't have resisted. Also there was an unfortunate accidental fire at the station and all body cam footage has been lost."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

In more minor cop news chasing someone off the highway and following them into a parking lot wearing civilian clothes and driving your personal F350 flatbed and then getting out and shooting into the car you chased while it flees is not enough to get you convicted of assault nor convicted of discharging a firearm while committing an act of violence.

I really can't imagine a scenario upon seeing the video that a non-cop ever gets acquitted here. Maybe some more legal minded types has an actual good reason for it.

Original incident plus video here
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-new...omo-link-block1

Acquittal on all counts today here
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/west-bay/daniel-dolan-trial-day-7/

quote:

Surveillance video from the incident showed Vincent’s car pull into the parking lot of a pizza shop on Route 3 in West Greenwich before Dolan’s pickup truck immediately pulled up beside it. Dolan—who was off duty at the time—then got out of his truck and approached Vincent’s car, which backed out of the lot and off camera.

It was then, according to police, that Dolan opened fire. He was later charged after investigators determined the shooting was not justified.

In explaining his actions, Dolan said he saw Vincent speeding on I-95 and followed him into the parking lot to talk to him. He told the court he felt obligated to intervene.

e: the guy who "pulled his gun out in fear of being run over" did so before rounding the corner of his truck that was between him and the vehicle he shot at, which was parallel to his truck.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hrm yes speeding is a capital offense now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crab Dad posted:

Not even clear what the other car was doing, only testimony on it is from the guy that pulled over and immediately moved towards the vehicle and began shooting.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh please bad mouth him on twitter, elon. I'd love to see you deal with british libel laws if just because it'd be funny

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh please bad mouth him on twitter, elon. I'd love to see you deal with british libel laws if just because it'd be funny

Lizzy's long reign and Laissez Faire approach has probably left a whole bunch of people with the impression that the British Monarchy is far more toothless than it really is. Hope he FAFOs.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Crab Dad posted:

Making a cop angry at you has been a capital offense for years now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hopefully as a white South African he's still vaguely a Crown subject and through some technicality he ends up getting beheaded or locked in the Tower of London.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
looks like the cops decided to call in even more backup for copland

just lmao at needing 1,000 nattyguard to build your training facility

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1618773547450515456

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://twitter.com/GoodPoliticGuy/status/1618699779114156035?t=NGyjmHraK_xGQQrZ8eTVTw&s=19

It must be REAL bad

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
My school sent out a text saying no classes tomorrow in anticipation of problems following the release of the video.

Charging them with straight up murder, and all these extra steps tell me this poo poo is gonna be baaaaaaad. The video at least, no idea if the metro Memphis area gets cool zoned or not. Very bifurcated area. I’m east of Memphis, lotta scared yt people Pearl clutching about “those people from Memphis” coming into our little suburb on Nextdoor.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Biden is now urging the same. Yeah, I'm assuming it's horrendous.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Two of the cops are out on bond, according to WREG in Memphis. I assume that means the other 3 are still sitting at 201 Poplar.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My brain keeps having issues parsing why officials have been trying to pre-empt violent protests with official statements because it's stunned from the immediate action and charges against every police officer involved and can barely process the other factors involved.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My brain keeps having issues parsing why officials have been trying to pre-empt violent protests with official statements because it's stunned from the immediate action and charges against every police officer involved and can barely process the other factors involved.

Black cops.

This would be a gently caress show if this wasn’t black on black crime.

Like.. there’s a good chance white cops would have had the wagons drawn around them, and the cool zone would be guaranteed.

I mean; to me a cop is a cop. I don’t care what color pig it is, just wanna know if it’s a pig or not. But it matters here.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I might have to put it on Tubi and watch the Memphis Fox affiliate tomorrow if poo poo gets wild.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

My school sent out a text saying no classes tomorrow in anticipation of problems following the release of the video.

Charging them with straight up murder, and all these extra steps tell me this poo poo is gonna be baaaaaaad. The video at least, no idea if the metro Memphis area gets cool zoned or not. Very bifurcated area. I’m east of Memphis, lotta scared yt people Pearl clutching about “those people from Memphis” coming into our little suburb on Nextdoor.

Half my neighborhood is like this. They are convinced that protesters downtown will walk the 20+ miles into our suburban downtown area, whip up more people, then descend onto our neighborhood. The other half are immigrants and they get very confused by our vocal right wingers.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
poo poo is gonna be loving bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don Lemon's interview of Chief Davis is worth watching.

I don't think I've ever seen an a police chief interview like it. Very professional, forthcoming and responsive to the questions.

It's probably going to re-run a few times on CNN this morning, but is probably on youtube by now.