Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Suicide Watch posted:

There’s a joke here about how military weddings don’t last but it’s also nice to see veterans start companies that aren’t tshirt brands

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/31/1151071088/these-combat-vets-want-to-help-you-design-the-perfect-engagement-ring

Honestly if you ain’t hitting the boo with this you ain’t poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Platystemon posted:

The secret, if you’re not rich enough to have a concierge doctor and you don’t have doc buddies, is telemedicine.

Sesamecare is one that I’ve directed relatives to recently. Book a same‐day appointment, I would suggest with an MD or DO, describe your condition to the doctor, and they’ll send a prescription to a local pharmacy if they think that antivirals are appropriate for your case.

Either of these sites will list/map which pharmacies have it in stock. The doctor will appreciate it if you have an address ready. Consider selecting a drive‐thru pharmacy if you don’t have someone who can pick it up for you. Failing that, try calling the pharmacist and asking if they’d like to meet you outside.

https://healthdata.gov/stories/s/COVID-19-Public-Therapeutic-Locator/chu2-wqes/

https://covid-19-therapeutics-locator-dhhs.hub.arcgis.com/

Californians are entitled to a free virtual visit through this link.

For everyone else, there are promo codes that bring the cost down to something like thirty bucks for a consultation. The U.S. federal government is covering the cost of the drug for the duration of the public health emergency. Beyond that, it’s going to be five hundred dollars for a five‑day course, maybe more.

Just for fun, you can keep an tabs on the U.S. stockpile here. The U.S. has of late been administering about a quarter million courses per week, out of a total of about twenty‐four million.

Thank you for helping a sick, mentally fogged goon. This was a life saver post.

For clarity for anyone reading at home, the Paxlovid Patient Eligibility Screening Checklist Tool For Providers @ https://aspr.hhs.gov/COVID-19/Therapeutics/Products/Paxlovid/Pages/default.aspx the big one to answer is

quote:

has one or more risk factors for progression to severe COVID-19

This list is found here on the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-care/underlyingconditions.html
This list is not exhaustive, there are important factors also listed on the page about age, vaccination status and demographics.

quote:

Asthma

Cancer

Cerebrovascular disease

Chronic kidney disease*

Chronic lung diseases limited to:
Bronchiectasis
COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Interstitial lung disease
Pulmonary embolism
Pulmonary hypertension

Chronic liver diseases limited to:
Cirrhosis
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
Alcoholic liver disease
Autoimmune hepatitis

Cystic fibrosis

Diabetes mellitus, type 1

Diabetes mellitus, type 2*

Disabilities‡, including Down syndrome
For the list of all conditions that were part of the review, see the module below

Heart conditions (such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies)

HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus)

Mental health conditions limited to:
Mood disorders, including depression
Schizophrenia spectrum disorders

Neurologic conditions limited to dementia‡

Obesity (BMI >30 kg/m2 or >95th percentile in children)

Physical inactivity

Pregnancy and recent pregnancy

Primary immunodeficiencies

Smoking, current and former

Solid organ or blood stem cell transplantation

Tuberculosis

Use of corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive medications

Former smoker is my definite risk factor, smoked for a decade and thankfully quit 5 years ago but former smoker still counts.
I booked an appointment over the phone for an hour and 15 minutes from when I read your post, spoke with a Sesame doctor licensed in my state and got prescribed no fuss no bullshit a Zpac and Paxlovid, for $28 bucks no insurance. It's at the Walgreens down the street where that sick ArcGIS antiviral map laid it out.
Take care of yourselves.

Edit: Is Paxlovid still free from the government? All I find are articles from Dec. 8th 2022 about how in the New Year, Paxlovid will start costing.

stackofflapjacks fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 1, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cugel the Clever posted:

Alright, I just noticed this and desperately want this... sport? art form? to happen.

god drat spell checker :argh:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stackofflapjacks posted:

Edit: Is Paxlovid still free from the government? All I find are articles from Dec. 8th 2022 about how in the New Year, Paxlovid will start costing.

Glad you went to your doc and etc, at least I was in the ballpark with the eligibilty screening.

With that said, Paxlovid is still free until the Public Health Emergency gets dropped by Biden in May: https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/covid-19/covid-pill-cost-availability#costs

quote:

Paxlovid cost the U.S. government about $530 per course. Lagevrio cost the U.S. about $700 per course. Both antiviral drugs are “available to the applicable patient population free of charge during the COVID-19 public health emergency,” a spokesperson from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) said in an email. It’s unclear how long coverage will last.

Probably will get highly covered by insurances after then, but who knows knowing our system!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Probably will get highly covered by insurances after then, but who knows knowing our system!

They might only cover it for those they deem to be in the highest risk groups.

In the original trial, in high-risk, unvaccinated people, one person was kept out of the hospital for every eighteen treated. This is fantastic. Every beancounter would pay ten thousand dollars to avoid paying for one hospital visit.

The calculus can shift quite a lot in the other direction for other demographics. Given the option, insurance companies may well accept the one hospitalization rather than paying for about a million dollars in drugs to treat a couple thousand boosted adults under the age of fifty. See table 2, PDF page 5 for figures for that group and others.

Now, I would argue that there are benefits other than keeping people out of the hospital, and in the long term, we should scale up antiviral production till they’re more available than tamiflu or valtrex.

The bean counters may not see it that way.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 1, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stackofflapjacks posted:

Thank you for helping a sick, mentally fogged goon. This was a life saver post.

Don’t mention it.

I’m sorry that you are mentally fogged, and I am glad that you were able to get treatment.

Take it easy, and I mean that more literally than is usual. Don’t push yourself physically for a few weeks. This article in the New York Times has a physician of sports medicine explain the rationale.

The actor Colin Farrell learned this one the hard way, as revealed in an interview this week.

quote:

"I'm going to do very little now for the next while," Farrell said, adding, "the first time I went out about a week after testing negative and I started running again and I messed myself up and got the long COVID for about six months."

Of course no one can say that he wouldn’t have gotten long COVID and gotten it just as bad even if not for the running, but when professional athletes are interrupting their training regimens, at the direction of their coaches, I take notice.

facialimpediment posted:

With that said, Paxlovid is still free until the Public Health Emergency gets dropped by Biden in May: https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/covid-19/covid-pill-cost-availability#costs

White House Coronavirus Coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha implies that courses of Paxlovid already purchased will continue to be disbursed without charge.

https://twitter.com/AshishKJha46/status/1620478419720093698

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 1, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
February is a fake month anyway

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Made a new thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023091

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is this what perfornance art is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
lol that was amazing