Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Bored As gently caress posted:

I really, really hope this year is better than 2022 was.

Hold onto your butts

WHO chief declares global emergency after Ugandan strain of Ebola verified to be airborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

drat, 24 hours and no new posts in the CE thread? Guess even the news is burned out on the news.

Here's something that current and sucks if you use the LastPass password manager- the hack that they disclosed in late November is way worse than originally disclosed:

quote:

LastPass, one of the leading password managers, said that hackers obtained a wealth of personal information belonging to its customers as well as encrypted and cryptographically hashed passwords and other data stored in customer vaults.

The revelation, posted on Thursday, represents a dramatic update to a breach LastPass disclosed in August. At the time, the company said that a threat actor gained unauthorized access through a single compromised developer account to portions of the password manager's development environment and "took portions of source code and some proprietary LastPass technical information." The company said at the time that customers’ master passwords, encrypted passwords, personal information, and other data stored in customer accounts weren't affected.

In Thursday’s update, the company said hackers accessed personal information and related metadata, including company names, end-user names, billing addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, and IP addresses customers used to access LastPass services. The hackers also copied a backup of customer vault data that included unencrypted data such as website URLs and encrypted data fields such as website usernames and passwords, secure notes, and form-filled data.

LastPass is claiming that it would be extraordinarily difficult for hackers to brute force master passwords, but given that the breach happened in August, wasn't disclosed until late November and their last press release about the incident was issued late on the evening of the Friday before Christmas, it's very difficult to trust the company anymore. I changed my LastPass master password, exported my stored passwords into a .csv, imported it all into a new 1Password account, and just changed my email, banking, phone and a few other critical sites' passwords.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The guys who broke into and damaged some power substations in Washington were caught because their cell phones were the only ones pinging off towers at the four attack sites.

https://twitter.com/kevincollier/status/1610447150626013184

It also turns out they weren't boog shitheads, just a couple of dumbasses racking up no-poo poo federal charges after doing millions of dollars in damage because they wanted to rob a store under the cover of darkness.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Coasterphreak posted:

In the case of these two chucklefucks, plain old walkie talkies would have worked just fine

e: but yeah, burner phones would have been fine as long as they were bought anonymously with cash and destroyed immediately afterward. Hell, my own mother has a burner phone because my parents no longer have a land line and she’s not comfortable without a backup for emergencies

Pretty sure you can’t buy a burner with cash or without some sort of record these days. Even if you bought some sort of shady device on the gray market, the feds would likely sweat the original owner and whoever they sold it to until they eventually worked their way down to the end user.

Stravag posted:

If you need to gps around for crimes use a standalone that doesnt have to connect to your mobile identity like a garmin god its so easy

Garmin eTrex gang for life, for all of my off-grid biking-hiking-criming needs.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/hannahchow/status/1611177929211346944?t=sIRsZWcjRexp-KRYCoGLnQ&s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The only thing I have to say about zombie media is that we were all collectively done dirty when World War Z was made into an utterly forgettable Brad Pitt vehicle instead of the 10-hour miniseries it should have been. Just thinking about how that book’s chapters and characters would have been perfect in a Ken Burns mockumentary makes me pretty wistful, although we did get the next best thing by way of the unabridged audiobook with a full voice cast that includes Alan Alda, Henry Rollins and Mark Hamill.

Zombies are otherwise done. It Follows was the best horror movie of the past decade; Babadook was also great and all of the A24 poo poo is super creepy as well.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The entire article is infuriating but the last part just takes the cake:

quote:

Asked what advice he would give to the next department to have to deal with a school shooter, he identified three critical areas, all of which are now known to have had flaws in Uvalde.

“Never minimize your training, never minimize your equipment, and never minimize your communication.”

ALL THREE OF THOSE THINGS WERE PRESENT. Every cop in America knows that the priority of an active shooter response is to first stop the killing, then stop the dying. The best aid for victims is to stop the shooter so that there aren't MORE victims that need to be triaged and treated. All of those cops there had the equipment and training to rush one untrained shooter in a confined area, and if they had done so in speed and numbers as doctrine calls for, they would have minimized their overall risk. And if one or two of them caught a round in the process? That's why they have rifle-rated armor and it's also what they signed up for when they put on the badge. And on communication, it was this piece of poo poo chief who dropping his radios and insisting on doing everything over the phone (and also somehow bizarrely claimed they weren't the incident commander despite being the highest ranking officer on scene) that effectively hobbled the entire response.

gently caress the police but gently caress this chief in particular. He couldn't have done anything more to get more kids killed short of loading the shooter's magazines and pointing his rifle for him.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Here's some actual good news: Uganda declared an end to its Ebola outbreak. They experienced approximately 164 cases with 55 deaths, and moved very quickly to shut down districts where the virus was discovered.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

SerthVarnee posted:

News...good?

Its been so long that I'm honestly not sure how to react anymore.

Also, the concept that something with a final casualty rate of 55 dead out of 164 affected being considered a good ending is incredibly depressing.

Frankly, it is. The Ebola variant that hit Uganda was the Sudanese version, which didn't have a vaccine (the Zaire one now does, which is why outbreaks in the DRC have been suppressed more easily) and has a higher CFR than other variants. That only 164 people were infected, and that only 55 people died, is honestly pretty impressive.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

There’s no wall too pockmarked to be put up against and no hole too shallow to hold what should be left of Andrew Tate. I hope he dies in a Romanian prison.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Sacrist65 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1613343035550584834

"You know what's really bussin'?
Serving your country.
No. Cap."

Gosh darn this just makes me want to enlist with my degree in the 82nd Airbussy. Do they still make parachutes out of silk?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Coasterphreak posted:

Yup, I got halfway through and closed it.

This is one of those cases where my opposition to capital punishment and belief that prisons should be about rehabilitation rather than punishment directly collide with my other belief that there are people in this world who can't be redeemed and who are best met with a 9mm to the skull and a short, gravity-assisted trip to the bottom of a lonely, forgotten ditch. Andrew Tate is one such person- I can't be convinced that the world is somehow well-served by the presence of a rapist human trafficker with a propensity toward violence.

Palate cleanser (ok it's not)
https://twitter.com/domwakeford/status/1613099763020488704?t=7IU3toTu59_MNV9BnaauCA&s=19

Men will do literally anything instead of going to therapy, including writing a tell-all book about the Royal Wiener.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is literally the opposite of reality. He wrote the book after a lot of therapy and distanced himself from his toxic family because they refused to consider it or any kind of self reflection.

I'll take your word for it. Personally, I think the royal family in general is a pretty cancerous institution and don't really give a poo poo about any of them, but good on him for getting away from them. This passage is really just something else, though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Illinois’ AWB is dumb and bad and is likely going to be struck down along with a whole bunch of other laws post-Bruen. At the same time, we also don’t need a whole bunch of “constitutional Sheriffs” deciding what laws they want to enforce; that’s standing in the shallow end of the sovcit pool before it rapidly drops off from there.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CommieGIR posted:

This is the larger issue and why I got back into owning firearms. The GOP harping on murdering their neighbors scares me more than crime.

I got into guns precisely because of this. I hope I never pull them out of my safe for reasons beyond dry fire practice or going to the range, but I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. Just like my car insurance, health insurance and homeowner's insurance. I have no fantasies about being John Wick or Rick Grimes.

On J6, we had Proud Boys staying in Airbnbs nearby and I've pulled off or defaced about a dozen Patriot Front stickers off of street signs in my very diverse neighborhood in the past year. The threat is there and it's not going away.

edit:

quote:

E- why are you harping on invasion? We don't need to worry about that. We need to worry about people forming death squads and hunting their undesirables at the earliest convenience. You know, like has happened a bunch of times in recent memory, most notably post Katrina.

It was living in the Lower Ninth Ward for a month or so while doing volunteer reconstruction work in 2008 and hearing neighbors' stories about what the Lower Ninth was like in the aftermath from Katrina that turned me from a bog standard "get rid of them all" gun control-supporting liberal to doing a complete 180 on that position.

And let's also not forget that it's the same type of cops who stood around in a school hallway in Texas while kids were getting slaughtered despite being armed to the teeth, who pal around with Patriot Prayer and Proud Boys in Portland, and who have a very well-documented problem with right-wing extremism in their ranks who would also be the ones "entrusted" with enforcing gun control laws against their ideological counterparts or buddies with the same zeal that they do so against marginalized communities looking to defend themselves.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 14, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

M_Gargantua posted:

You know what would be great for reducing gun violence and suicide?

Not living in a depressing end stage capitalist exploitography.

100% true but that doesn't fit conveniently on a protest sign and Michael Bloomberg doesn't like that because it doesn't involve weaponizing law enforcement; better go after the black guns instead.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Stultus Maximus posted:

So, what's America's #1 fascist demagogue up to now that orders from the top say that Trump is yesterday's news?

Lol. Just lol.

https://twitter.com/cynicalzoomer/status/1614072361363378176
https://twitter.com/leash_kid_/status/1613243357878439936

Check out this lib who gets SO TRIGGERED by my emphysema!

We’ll take our Flavor Country back!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

lightpole posted:

Surrounded by places with weak gun laws.

Deciding you need a gun because the other side is bad and wrong and you need to protect yourself from them means you will commit violence and kill if a perceived red line is crossed. With this attitude I dont see any difference between you, Rittenhouse, or the January 6 people. That red line will be subjective and simply perceiving a wrong against you could trigger it.

There's a huge difference between arming oneself in a defensive capacity vs. being a hotheaded 17 year old who straw purchased a rifle and then crossed state lines to "defend property" that wasn't his own, effectively creating the conditions where he shot three people. A better, non-biased judge and a competent prosecutor would have buried him under the prison. There's also a huge difference between arming oneself in a defensive capacity and making a plot to attack Congress while it's carrying out its constitutional duty to ratify the presidential election and staging a nearby QRF with long guns. These things are in no way similar to one another aside from the common denominator that guns are involved, but intent is the determining factor here.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I agree with you entirely with the exception that personal gun ownership in any way improves things

A romantic end but one that is likely if a fascist uprising fully seizes power in the USA. If that does happen I have little doubt they'd try to disarm certain segments of the populace while enabling others so you'd end up at the same place as if we had actually tried to install sensible gun control. Your scenario doesn't seem like much (or any) of an improvement over just keeping a gun even if gun control laws are passed.

This is exactly what's happening. Look at all of the gun control laws that have deliberate carveouts not just for active police officers, but retired and former law enforcement as well. When you have "constitutional sheriffs" stating that they'll selectively enforce some laws but not others, that's a kind of weaponization of the law as well.

M_Gargantua posted:

You are calling peoples "worries" as "fantasies", as if they are things we want to happen instead of things we fear happening. Fantasy also implies they are less than improbable, to which modern history has shown these fears to be probable and uncommon. When you do your 4x4 risk assessment it falls in the "Low Probability, Catastrophic Impact" square which requires additional mitigation.

Again, I have homeowner's insurance in case my property is damaged. I have a fire extinguisher in case something catches on fire. I have car insurance in case I get into a car accident. I have first aid kits and medical training in case I or someone I care about gets hurt. I have extra food and medicine in case supply chains get disrupted because of a storm [or a pandemic and I need to wait a few weeks before stocks return to normal. And I'm armed because we live in an ailing society with our gerontocracy largely failing to address the very real social, environmental and political issues that are going to come to a head just in time for them to die on their piles of cash, and poo poo is going to get REAL weird when that happens. Look at how this country freaked the gently caress out over wearing face masks in public during a pandemic that only kills around 1% of the people it infects, and extrapolate that out to when we're dealing with changes in the ecosystem that force either mass displacement or a profound and permanent disruption to the way of life we've grown accustomed to. In that case, I'd rather not be at the mercy of the people who have spent decades gunning up and have de facto allies in law enforcement, and have jumped through considerable bureaucratic and legal hoops in order to do so legally.

M_Gargantua is right- if something falls in the "low probability, catastrophic impact" square, you prepare for it, and if you assess that firearms are a part of that mitigation strategy, then so be it. Same goes if you assess your risks otherwise and decide not to be armed. The difference between being a rational, prepared person and a Rittenhouse type is not basing your entire lifestyle or identity around your mitigation measures like the loving gun nuts do.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 16, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

mlmp08 posted:

Going to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic show at the convention center. Might just look and not buy except for some jerky unless I see a really good deal. Hoping not to see too many nazis, but you know how it is with dudes and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic culture.

The partner of one of my wife and I’s friends is a scholar who studied men who were drawn to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to the point where they felt compelled to make it a core part of their identity. She interviewed a lot of them, and her findings were that most of them were generally normal people but with a degree of social anxiety and introversion and, absent access to therapy, dealt with it by investing heavily in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magical due to the values they felt were espoused. My friend’s partner even presented their findings at a conference and they were pretty well accepted!

Now, am I talking about self-proclaimed “gun guys” or bronies? yes

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1615512168094486529?s=20&t=7acOsbs_rFoqpUH7OB_5vw

Get he fuckin fraudulent rear end

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

2023 off to a solid start in the writers room

And how

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/a42547583/carole-baskin-husband-don-lewis-found-alive/

quote:

But speaking on ITV's This Morning in 2021, Baskin revealed that Homeland Security had been in touch to confirm they'd uncovered Lewis' whereabouts. "They said my husband, Don Lewis, is alive and well in Costa Rica. And yet all of this drama has been made about me having something to do with his disappearance, when Homeland Security has known where he is," she said.

Apparently everyone on earth missed this tidbit when it first came out but now it feels like we’ve closed a big part of 2020.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The time is ripe for...

Except 2023.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Frankly I'm surprised he's going to catch a charge. I would have figured that Alec Baldwin the Actor would have skated, but Alec Baldwin the Producer would get taken to hell and back during the civil suit.

I can't find it right now, but I remember listening to a podcast where a set armorer was interviewed and they went into elaborate detail about all of the best practices in firearms safety that armorers are expected to employ. It's a very tightly controlled business and a professional armor leaves absolutely zero room for technical or human error. Looks like the armorer for Rust didn't abide by any of those guidelines, seemingly at Baldwin's behest on cutting costs.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Kazinsal posted:

we should probably classify any intentionally inflicted brain trauma that causes irreversible damage and/or extreme psychological shift as homicide honestly

if you hit someone in the head so hard on television that they wake up six weeks later drooling and not remembering the last 30 years of their life you've basically killed someone for clout and should go away for a very long time

e: I have now gone down a rabbit hole in which I have discovered that las vegas hosts what I can best describe as livestreamed bootleg russian powerlifter slap tournaments in which dudes are taking turns getting each other closer and closer to spontaneous kinetic stroke induction with open palm slaps and I'm ready for nuclear hellfire

Counterpoint: as your average American male with profound issues of overcompensating for my poor understanding of masculinity with aggression, I demand to be entertained by increasingly extreme forms of violence, and prefer that my bloodlust be absolved by ultra-shady official organizations that give it the thinnest veneer of legitimacy. Football was fun and MMA was cool, but dudes just punching each other in the side of the head is the next growth market in “my goodness, how awful it is that someone had their brain turned into guacamole but I just can’t stop watching” entertainment.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

M_Gargantua posted:

Can we just get back to good ole gladiatorial combat again?

Let’s bring back Celebrity Deathmatch, but IRL, and I think that’ll really bring the country together.

Here’s something nice:

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1616440766083092480

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

maffew buildings posted:

Really look forward to Santos getting ousted for legitimate reasons and not solely due to being into drag, which certainly won't further stoke current issues in this nation about something I can't remember at the moment

There is no way the Republicans are going to kick him out and jeopardize their razor thin House majority. They're going to hope for something to divert attention from Santos- such as allegations that Hunter Biden rubbed his monster dong all over improperly stored classified documents- and then hope that Santos fades into obscurity aside from the occasional gaffe and let him serve out his term while seeding the ground to primary the everloving gently caress out of him during the next election.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Oh goodie. Now they can return to the Florida curriculum recounting of Black history, which consists of Michael Luther Jackson teaming up with the Union Army to win the Civil Rights War and now there’s no more racism

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Soul Dentist posted:

What's the Space Force SOF called?

Spatial Forces

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

10 killed, 10 injured in a chinese ballroom dance hall in LA for lunar new year festival.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/22/1150642882/monterey-park-lunar-new-year-shooting-10-dead

Cool cool, starting off my Sunday catching myself hoping it was a gang thing instead of some racist crazy deciding to get some revenge for the China Virus, and then realizing what a hosed up thought exercise that is.

This loving country.

Edit: Preliminary reports suggest that the suspect is an Asian male.

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1617199437184651266

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 22, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Platystemon posted:

New White House Chief of Staff just dropped

https://twitter.com/tylerpager/status/1617218946738053121

I didn’t like his job performance as White House Coronavirus Coordinator, but I can’t say that the guy who replaced him was any better, or that I have any particular love for incumbent WHCOS Ron Klain, so whatever.

Rumor has it he’s leaving to go work on Biden’s 2024 campaign.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Grandpa Snake Eater/Rick Moranis lookalike contest winner got a nice write up on the Army website.

https://www.army.mil/article/263293

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Media contagion go brrrrrtt

Edit: For a more substantive contribution, Half Moon Bay is a "blink and you'll miss it" town on the coast between San Francisco and Monterey. Lot of farmers and fishermen live there and that's about it. Complete and total copycat of the LA shooting, straight down to the elderly Asian male gunman.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 24, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

An honest to god Sixth Day violation. We are now apparently in one of Arnold’s crappiest movies.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/Abeale202/status/1619063092234829824?t=XidMn6Sss7Sx9mZQl-kSzw&s=19

This seems bad.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Couldn't make it much past a minute or so of the bodycam videos. gently caress these pigs, they can burn in hell. This poo poo can't be reformed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

My Spirit Otter posted:

star wars fans are just as bad as harry potter fans. there are other movies.

Counterpoint: at least Star Wars fans don’t have to deal with George Lucas making GBS threads all over himself in declaring that Princess Leia totally would have been a TERF and Chewbacca was gay.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Kreia is the best thing that ever happened to Star Wars, I will be taking no questions

You misspelled “Kyle Katarn.”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

My Spirit Otter posted:

I didnt say anything about their creators, just that star wars fans are just as annoying as harry potter fans, because they make everything somehow relate back to star wars, as harry potter fans do with harry potter

Strongly disagree. Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Whole bunch of people ITT who seem willfully ignorant that these men may be honoring the memories of friends and family that they pretend were lost aboard Death Star I or II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A GREAT steering wheel that doesn’t fly off when you’re driving!