Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Honestly would rather have a silverbug than a cryptobug in the family. Silver is about $24/oz right now, after years at $15/oz.

Silverbugs don't sell though, so like crypto, those profits will not be realized by the silverbugs, because they believe it will jump to 1/10th the value of gold like it was back in the 19th century. Idiots.

Waiting for that D&D coin exchange rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3259259/dod-expands-military-parental-leave-program/

loving finally got away from the confusing "primary caregiver" or whatever the half-assed parental leave was and just went with 12 weeks leave for both parents, on top of convalescence for the birth parent.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol

https://twitter.com/cptramenqueen/status/1610993116709789705?s=46&t=o59yZU0G8JuUKvPRsIyS1w

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
They found he violated social media policy but not in any salacious or toxic way to subordinates. Just was being aggro in public toward trolls after told to knock it off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Current event: IMO, the buildup pays off

https://twitter.com/prstskrzkrk/status/1611157327591399424?s=20&t=yNZnxDFJuy5KMVrDx5-YHQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What no way impossible

https://twitter.com/dohobob/status/1612590838013362176?s=46&t=rWCfvJ-m9WcJ6ckUUxpPpA

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sy Borg posted:

I’m sorry, but in the context of the game is that screenshot supposed to be taken sincerely? That is just such a hard thing to reconcile.

Spoiler alert for an old game:

Some of your endgame options are war crime even harder, just kill yourself, get rescued and probably then go to prison.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I haven’t even played Last of Us but select people got real mad about moral ambiguity.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lukewarm take: If I hadn't read World War Z on an airplane without any other options other than sky mall, I never would've finished it. Maybe 1/3 of the short stories are decent, otherwise ughhh

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Man on rest-of-family violence gets pretty bad.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50551641/southern-utah-man-kills-wife-5-children-and-mother-in-law-before-shooting-himself

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna64951

And women/girls, while less often murdered than men in the US, are disproportionately murdered by intimate partners and family members.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Illinois has always had some strong gun laws and Chicago still keeps them at the top of the charts.

The top of which charts? If you mean per capita firearm mortality, Illinois isn’t even in the top half of states. “Illinois has all the gun crime” is a bit of a bullshit rightwing talking point when you compare it to other locations all over the country.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Even if you look purely at Chicago, it’s around the bottom of the 30 top homicide rate cities, far less than cities like Memphis, New Orleans, Cincy, etc.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Gun Shows require you to do a background check on the spot, so yeah.

Depends on the state if you aren’t buying from an FFL.

F2F sales to private owners require no check federally.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

Please filter gun to "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic".

Going to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic show at the convention center. Might just look and not buy except for some jerky unless I see a really good deal. Hoping not to see too many nazis, but you know how it is with dudes and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic culture.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Steezo posted:

I'm still not sure which is my favorite, guys IMT'ing in the dumbest way possible, the cardboard box or the improv tree. I"m leaning towards the tree but goddamn I love me some Solid Snake Kojima brand fuckery beating a machine.

I kind of like somersaulting, because while it is obviously painful and annoying to do, it is the most obvious example of just tricking a robot by showing it a whole-rear end uncovered human just approaching it directly.

I like the tree for the Macbeth points.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Broken clock twice a day

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheWeedNumber posted:

What’s the age gap looking like?

60-something and 93.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Something sometthing, saw you across the bar, liked your vibe

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

It’s funny that we know this now, but this is nothing new to NATO, right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
President Jon Lovitz.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In other "bad video on Friday" news, the attack on Paul Pelosi is pretty loving weird and bad. It's like a real-life version of a scene from Funny Games.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Have the cops even said what they pulled this kid over for in the first place?

They claimed reckless driving, but there's no evidence of that being the case. Could be, but also could be bullshit, as with so many of these cop stories after they get caught doing awful things.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Jizz music is Star Wars Cantina music. This is wholesome and pure.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah they'd like to.

Why do you say that?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

Past precedent

I’m talking intent. I understand why Iran pursues the ability to close the strait or at least ability to credibly threaten it. I was wondering why CommieGIR says Iran would like to close the strait.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Used to volunteer at special olympics events a few years back and we’d sometimes get cosplayers who were about 70:30 Sith and Jedi (and one rebel X-Wing mechanic, respect) and when a kid asked if they had stormtroopers, even the Vader cosplayer implied those guys are weird. Some line that could have been in chatacter like saying they prefer guns and brute power and have no concept of balance.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did the vader guy do it in voice. That could have been amusing.

He had a pretty fancy vocoder type mask, so yeah.

He clearly enjoyed the irony of vader saying things like “Ooh, a hot dog stand… and candy!!”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Its not exactly a controversial statement.

Saying that they want to close the strait, in the present tense, isn’t controversial only because no one agrees with such a statement.

Iran does not want to close the strait of Hormuz. Why do you think they want to close the SoH?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The US wants the ability to deter others from certain actions, by way of US nuclear weapons. This is very different from the US desiring to nuke the world, for example.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

mlmp08, again I'm not gonna get into debates like this with you because you are utterly incapable of admitting error.

Sorry. You have a habit of making inaccurate and inflammatory claims, then run away when asked for any evidence or reason why you would make such a claim. That’s not my fault.

E: your ninja edit is also unsupported by evidence, fwiw.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, gently caress the current regime but parroting Israeli propaganda is pretty lovely.

What are you talking about?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Claims that Iran would use a nuke if acquired is something the Israeli government has ranted and raved about for ages.

Ironically, by a country that likely has nuclear weapons already and did so under the table with US assistance.

I think you should reread my post. I didn’t even mention what you are addressing, much less make the claim you claim I said.

I was using an example of how countries often maintain a deterrent or perceived capability, despite not wanting to use them. The example I used was that the US maintains nukes. I didn’t write a single word about Iran and nukes. The US uses nukes every day for deterrence, but doesn’t actively want to fire a nuclear weapon at anyone. Iran sometimes makes a stink about the SoH verbally, but they do not actually want to have to open that can of worms or even attempt it. It is a drastic move, which is why they threaten it sometimes in negotiations, but they don’t do it or want to get to that point.

I did not say a single word about Iran nuclear weapons programs; I do not know where you got that idea that that’s what I was arguing unless you just misread the post as written. Iran isn’t even pursuing a nuclear weapon capability!

CommieGIR posted:

Iran has long wanted to be able to control flow through the SoH, and there's absolutely no reason to believe they wouldn't want to after some of the largest airstrikes against their territory in more than a decade.

There are a ton of reasons Iran wouldn’t want to close the SoH.

Economic reasons, lack of desire for military conflict with a bunch of other nations, attempting diplomacy or even threats before committing forces to combat, economic reasons again, having alternate and way less internationally despised means of pursuing retaliation, risk it would fail even if they tried, etc.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, again, I'm done discussing this with you.

That’s fine. I didn’t think it would be confusing to write “US” when I meant the United States, but there’s no rule that we have to agree on everything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Guys, as someone who is on a LOT of ignore lists, have you guys thought about using the ignore user function since your both incapable of disengaging?

Ignore is cowardly. And it only takes like 1 minute to write a post to see if another poster has evidence or details on a process or saw some news or an update I just don’t know about yet. Often they do, and I learn something by asking a question!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

And just like that, common ground.. neither of you are dumb enough to listen to Shim.

:)

hahaha

CommieGIR knows a shitload more about nuclear power generation than I, which is a topic that comes up often enough all over these forums. People got opinions about nuclear power.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The last time they mentioned it but didn't actually take action to close the SoH in 2012, the net result was that oil prices jumped 2% for a little while, Iran was sanctioned by multiple countries and the EU, and China expanding oil exports from Iraq rather than Iran and generally diversifying. Also a bunch of sailors and warships got moved around to go show presence, but meh. And throughout, Iranian messaging was kind of all over the place, with some parliamentarians making extreme statements, but the actual leadership largely saying that "if we have to, then we will.." but leaving the "if we have to" vague.

Now in a major shooting war, different story. I can absolutely see Iran making moves to close or at least limit SoH transits rather than allowing US or adversary coalition warships to flow freely. Some mysterious building explosions aren't a major shooting war.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ruh Roh

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheWeedNumber posted:

The crossing of the redline should have led to the nuclear destruction of the airbase the strikes were launched from, IMO.

100000% no thanks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheWeedNumber posted:

Could you expand upon your point?

Dropping a nuke over Syria’s actions would have tremendous consequences and set a terrible precedent. The ramifications among allies and partners, alone, would be awful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheWeedNumber posted:

Would a normal strike be warranted?

Normal like launching a strike with conventional weapons aimed at chemical weapons facilities and those who plan their usage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheWeedNumber posted:

Yep. Ideally only wreck the area with the chems and try to avoid killing Russians on the base. I believe the Durandal is the type of bomb you use to crater a runway. Drop the stockpile, drop the flight line, render the base inoperable. Destroy any other known chemical weapon stockpiles.

That’s a pretty close description of what did happen when the US, France, and UK retaliated after Syria’s 2018 chemical weapon usage.

Syria fixed the base, but what are you gonna do?

Related: OCPW recently released their independent reporting laying blame on that 2018 chem attack that killed 43 people on the government of Syria.