Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cubone posted:

I associate anthony hopkins too strongly with hannibal lecter
when I look at this poster all I see is a crazed violent murderer, and hannibal lecter

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
when I look at this poster all I see is a crazed violent ventriloquist

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cubone posted:

I associate anthony hopkins too strongly with hannibal lecter
when I look at this poster all I see is a crazed violent murderer, and hannibal lecter

noice

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oh ok, it just sounds like the standard up their own rear end dork to me :shrug:

This afternoon's entertainment is

Pretty sure I've never seen this one

i remember watching this movie on tv randomly and it was like a fever dream, i literally thought i had imagined it until frisky dingo had a joke about struggling to remember the exact same movie. its really stuck with me as a moment

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Anthony Hopkins's wife is so hot in that bear movie, I would kill for her too.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

That movie tries to sell you on the idea that a rich person could be a normal protagonist and not an unhinged lunatic.

I didn't buy it when I was 12 and I don't buy it now. Rooted for Baldwin the whole way

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

poisonpill posted:

Rosebud is a sled

Also I cannot believe how empty hbo max is getting. It’s all weirdo dc comic animated shows now

I just got back from a trip and need to stay on the couch for four days. I was looking forward to John wick, I forgot they were taking them away after 30 days :negative:

What’s good on streaming? Where are the Oscar noms hiding out? Are there any shows or movies actually worth watching on Netflix or Hulu?

Hey, HBO Max has a lot of Akira Kurosawa's/Toshio Mifune's films so it's not all terrible.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Every now and then I watch a bunch of Arrested Development clips and remember how good its original three seasons were.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jason Bateman's subtle facial expressions are unmatched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJ2wUhPtYM

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mordja posted:

Every now and then I watch a bunch of Arrested Development clips and remember how good its original three seasons were.

I didn't like the 3rd season as much as the first two, but it's a fuckin masterpiece compared to the Netflix seasons.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

poisonpill posted:

Also I cannot believe how empty hbo max is getting. It’s all weirdo dc comic animated shows now

and yet somehow they just pulled the best one, justice league/unlimited

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

and yet somehow they just pulled the best one, justice league/unlimited

they what.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mordja posted:

I mean, he is really great, but what Looney Toons planet are you from where the facial expressions there are considered subtle?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

bruce timm justice league is no longer on hbo max

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, he is really great, but what Looney Toons planet are you from where the facial expressions there are considered subtle?

90% of goons (low end estimate) have crippling face blindness.

Mordja posted:

He was pretty good in the Netflix Murderville Christmas special.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

You'll have to excuse my friend Mordja. The only media he has ever been exposed to is Arrested Development and XJakk videos.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

bruce timm justice league is no longer on hbo max

I just looked and it's still there, at least in the US.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I never finished it but I enjoyed the BateMan in Ozarks. Guess I should get around to finishing up that last season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bateman is solid in most everything I've seen him in.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oh ok, it just sounds like the standard up their own rear end dork to me :shrug:

This afternoon's entertainment is

Pretty sure I've never seen this one

Is this the movie where a bear stalks/beats the poo poo out of them

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Jose Oquendo posted:

I didn't like the 3rd season as much as the first two, but it's a fuckin masterpiece compared to the Netflix seasons.

it starts to throw in all these weird gross out jokes and incest jokes which in the first 2 seasons were limited to the gm/maeby subplot. like GOB having an erection while hugging michael for some reason, stuff like that. then you've got the rita being MRF thing which is unfortunate. i get that they were going for rita being so hot michael didn't notice she was mentally disabled but it's a rough joke.

it's still got a lot of really funny stuff in it, especially towards the end, but they were starting to lose it even then. s1+2 are hilarious.

PostNouveau posted:

Bateman is solid in most everything I've seen him in.

i get a huge rear end in a top hat in real life vibe off him.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just looked and it's still there, at least in the US.

weird, it was on the removal list for the 31st

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

weird, it was on the removal list for the 31st

I forgot to mention I slipped David Zaslav $20 to keep it on just my account.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

i get a huge rear end in a top hat in real life vibe off him.

He plays a lot of assholes, so :shrug:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

roomtone posted:

it starts to throw in all these weird gross out jokes and incest jokes which in the first 2 seasons were limited to the gm/maeby subplot. like GOB having an erection while hugging michael for some reason, stuff like that. then you've got the rita being MRF thing which is unfortunate. i get that they were going for rita being so hot michael didn't notice she was mentally disabled but it's a rough joke.

The joke wasn't that Rita was so hot that Michael didn't notice, it was that her British accent just sounded so sophisticated to Michael (and to the audience) that he didn't pick up on the signs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is this the movie where a bear stalks/beats the poo poo out of them

Yes.

Its so dumb but I loved watching the TV edit.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

LanceHunter posted:

The joke wasn't that Rita was so hot that Michael didn't notice, it was that her British accent just sounded so sophisticated to Michael (and to the audience) that he didn't pick up on the signs.

oh yeah, i forgot that part.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

the MRF thing really annoys me cause it's a really funny bit until the actual punchline is revealed. Theres even a really good callback in the Netflix season

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

um yeah Arrested Development is due for a re-watch. get some mileage out of my worthless netflix account

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ive been watching ai seinfeld all day. i love kakler.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched If Beale Street Could Talk. A real bummer, but not as much as I thought it would be.

Finally sat down and spent the 20 minutes or so it takes to make a Plex server, so I'mma pirate everything now, maybe cancel Amazon Prime and Hulu. It's annoying how loving finicky plex is about names and years and folder organization. I think it's just so it can pull the movie poster or DVD cover for the previews, but gently caress that just show me my files.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

Watched If Beale Street Could Talk. A real bummer, but not as much as I thought it would be.

Finally sat down and spent the 20 minutes or so it takes to make a Plex server, so I'mma pirate everything now, maybe cancel Amazon Prime and Hulu. It's annoying how loving finicky plex is about names and years and folder organization. I think it's just so it can pull the movie poster or DVD cover for the previews, but gently caress that just show me my files.

get me a private tracker

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

PostNouveau posted:

A bulk rename tool helps make this a lot less annoying, also it seems to pull episode organization from The TV DB so if you have things that aren't being detected properly it's often some weirdness with the broadcast/physical releases being different.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Is plex still the correct software to use? The thread here was a bunch of people complaining about it and suggesting some Linux freeware version or something. Nerds.txt

Keep in mind I couldn’t even figure out how to upload a picture in terms of tech savvy

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
After Life is bad, but it's Shakespeare compared to his earlier series "Derek". Gervais goes.... well I won't say full r-word, but he's definitely going quasi r-word, to play some limey Forrest Gump type who delivers gentle aphorisms to balm the soul.

Only thing funny in the show is David Earl playing his usual gross character.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
ok what the gently caress is MGM plus? this just popped up for me. someone stop these madmen

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

After Life is bad, but it's Shakespeare compared to his earlier series "Derek". Gervais goes.... well I won't say full r-word, but he's definitely going quasi r-word, to play some limey Forrest Gump type who delivers gentle aphorisms to balm the soul.

Only thing funny in the show is David Earl playing his usual gross character.

Karl is also a treat as the curmudgeonly caretaker, but he’s only in series 1 I think

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Endless Trash posted:

We were watching the first episode of The Outlaws last year and the opening scene is the main character shoplifting in a mall and running away from security guards. It’s a high-energy escape sequence that involved lots of camera angles and physicality and planning.

And so I just had to pause it and say to my fiancé “There was more effort put into that 45-second sequence than the entirety of After Life’s 3 season runtime”

Steve Merchant quietly carried Ricky Gervais to the top of the 2000s comedy mountain.

I just love Stew's cackle at the end. He talks about the fact that when he came back from a self imposed hiatus, critics were saying that his act was very similar to Gervais', not realising that Ricky had pretty much stolen Stewart Lee's act. It prompted him to pursue the anti-comedy persona to much critical acclaim since.

I saw Steve Merchant live on his live tour many years ago. It was pretty solid, and alot of the humour was self deprecating in complete contrast to Gervais, who is now relying on the edgelordy "oohh they don't allow you to say that" shtick

Another example of Gervais being put in his place is the show he did with Garry Shandling. It's supposed to be framed as Ricky meeting his comedy idols and trading stories (and most likely Gervais seeking approval/praise from them), and Shandling spends the whole time ripping him to shreds. I don't know if he is doing a bit or not, but he torments him constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljWm8umGIE

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

Is plex still the correct software to use? The thread here was a bunch of people complaining about it and suggesting some Linux freeware version or something. Nerds.txt

Keep in mind I couldn’t even figure out how to upload a picture in terms of tech savvy

Plex works fine. You have to go to Reddit to get the right folder structure spelled out, and it's annoying to precisely name everything and put it in the right folder, but the level of tech savvy required is not high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah today I spend an hour moving the Simpsons folder 3 times to finally force plex download the cover art.

I brought the lifetime account 5 years ago and didn't get it up until this year because I got a new TV that can run plex app. It's worth the hassle because Plex make watching old TV series on shuffle super easy.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 3, 2023