Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haiku the Robot - 100%

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Haiku the Robot - 100%

counted the syllables in the title lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

copy posted:

counted the syllables in the title lol

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

herculon posted:

Reserved but if anyone else wants it just let me know

I'll take this if still going TIA, I'll DM you whenever I finish a game and you can just edit it in. Seems reasonable to me.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

EmmyOk posted:

I'll take this if still going TIA, I'll DM you whenever I finish a game and you can just edit it in. Seems reasonable to me.

You got it, Emmy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

herculon posted:

You got it, Emmy

TY pardner :clint:

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

2) Mega Man X

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
1) Mega Man X (100%)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

First game beat of 2023 is Halo Wars. Replaying Halo: CE as one of my Impmas freestyle games got me thinking about the fact that I still haven't played Halo Wars 2 or Halo Infinite's campaigns so I decided to redo this one before starting 2 since it's probably been 15 years or so. Kind of shallow as far as strategy games go but still fairly fun and it's neat to see the Halo games adapted pretty faithfully to the RTS genre, with things like the wild fishtailing of the Warthogs from the FPSes being represented in their animations in this game, etc. RIP Ensemble Studios

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

megaman x - 100%

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

1) Mega Man X (100%) (1/2)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

1) Mega Man X (100%) (1/2)

well which is it

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
1. The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

Really liked this. I never played the GB version, so this was nice.

2. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

The first one was okay. This on the other hand was super cool. I guess this is the last RTWP game I'll play, what a way to end.

3. Prey

What a ftw game!

Mordekai fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 22, 2023

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Beat Mass Effect 1, the remastered version. Started ME2 right away and found it kind of jarring as it's so similar that the changes just jump out.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

1) Elden Ring

Incredible game. They crafted this huge world you can get lost in for days on end, but they didn't make a world where you get immersed and "forget you're playing a video game." They made a world that reminds you constantly that it's a video game, because they think video games are awesome, and so do I.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
chrono trigger (snes) : regular ending, debating going through and getting all the alternate endings before finally starting the cross remaster. absolutely amazing game , cant believe how well it holds up

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
1 Tales of Symphonia

Still one of my favourite games, story is cheesy but there's a bunch of good and funny moments throughout. Dunno what to play next after finding out the sequel sucks rear end apparently lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Uncharted 4

Pretty good! I had to skip UC3 as it's not on PC (played 1+2 on PS3 ages ago) but it feels like a good return to the series for me. I liked the finale, but the fact that they didn't go back for the treasure seems crazy. Like, just use some Shoreline dynamite to clear the debris, then pull out some chests of gold!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
megaman x - 100%

surprised at how many things i still remember despite not having played this in about 5 years, if this rom download date is any indication, like all the collectibles, that you can break the barriers in storm eagle's stage without flame mammoth's weapons, that you can get boomer kuwangers heart tank with a charged ice shot platform, and that you need to be fully stocked on everything for the hadouken capsule.
what i didnt remember was like 90% of the maverick attack patterns, which made the initial fights really fun, except armored armadillo.

pretty good, feels a bit weird especially walljumps and i hate that you gotta press dash as you jump off a wall to do a walldash jump, i dont like how many stages have these open barren areas for no reason, i really dont like the instrumentation, and even if you do buster only against the mavericks like i do, getting the armor means the boss rush at the end poses almost no threat if you remember the enemy patterns. and theres bosses like armored armadillo that take forever if you use the buster but i remember that if you use his weakness it becomes stupid easy so theres no middle ground. boss rushes at the end of megaman games seem like theyre more of a formality than a challenge which is a shame cause the robot masters and mavericks are almost always the most fun part.
also the head upgrade is so fuckin lame.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Final Fantasy 7 Remake: man this game kicks rear end. i don't dabble with nostalgia much but ff7 was huge for me when i was a little young wee pup and it really feels like the remake does right in letting you relive ff7 with modern technology. i think the designers did a great job in making this for the fans while setting up things to make it new and fresh for the future. I do like what they did with the storyline but i feel what actually happens could have been explained a little more clearer, or maybe its kind of vague on purpose to set up the future games so whatever. i still have yet to play the yuffie dlc so maybe that will clear things up, or make things worse i dunno. best thing about the game is the combat system by far though, it's such a flashy spectacle and it's really smooth switching between characters on the fly while also pausing when need be to to issue specific commands, its so much fun.

plan now is to do the new shinra combat missions, yuffie dlc, then im going to do what i hate to do most in gaming is grind up levels and materia to tackle hard mode for the base game and the dlc. plenty left to do but i want to see what the combat system can do when pushed to the limit.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
1. The Case of the Golden Idol. 6 solid hours of deductive reasoning and a cool story

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

1. Chained Echoes (all achievements)

Really fun RPG, super impressive for a one-person project. The story kinda flies by and the game world feels very small, but the character arcs build up in satisfying ways and the sometimes stilted dialogue grew on me over time. Kinda clunky in some ways, like the crystal system is really annoying to use and should basically be ignored except for doing some min-maxing near the end to completely break the balance and stomp all the end-game bosses. I really didn't expect to like it so much, but after the first 5-10 hours it really hits its stride and stays awesome until the end.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

2. Toki Tori 2 (I rolled credits, not sure was % complete but nowhere close to 100)

This is a very cute game which disguises the fact that it's very difficult. It's a sort of puzzle metroidvania where you don't unlock new abilities, instead you find out more about how your two starting abilities (tweet and stomp) interact with the different objects in the world, and how those objects interact with each other. Some of the solutions you have to set up are incredibly complex and require you to know exactly how several different things will respond to you. My favourite section was an underground area that was dark, but there were glowing butterflies which followed you if you tweet or flew away if you stomped. The more you gather, the brighter it got, and if they went through a waterfall they'd go dark until they met another one. This, combined with other animals which don't move in the dark or hazards which only hurt you in the dark was very well put together, but honestly the whole game except for maybe one puzzle (which iirc I got stuck on last time I tried to play a few years ago) felt very fair and made sense when you got to the answer.

There's collectables to get for 100% but there's a lot of them, and getting around the world is kind of annoying, so I don't think I'm going to go back in. If you wanted to there's probably hours and hours of puzzles to get through for 100%.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1. Mega Man X (100%)

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
2. LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (70% Completion)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

1. mega man x (PS2)
2.devil may cry 3 (PS2
3. Legend of oasis (Saturn)
4. Dragon quest 3 (gbc)
5. LoZ: Minish Cap (GBA
6. Pokemon Puzzle League (N64)
7. Goldeneye (XSX)
8. Resident Evil 4 Remake (XSX)
9. LoZ: Link's Awakening (Switch)
10: Sunset Riders (Switch)
11. Final fantasy 1 pixel remaster
12. aew fight forever
13. wwe 2k23 story
14. panzer dragoon remake

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 26, 2023

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

2) Mega Man X

Just as easy as I remember but that's fine as long as the game is still fun

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

02) mega man x (snes, 100%)

not one of my personal favorite games ever or anything but still undeniably a really good video game and one of the best mega man games. all the levels are fun, nothing really stands out as like an "ugh, that part" section, feels great to play, the works.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
demons soul remake for ps5. incredible game, so much of it holds up tho i appreciate the few very minor quality of life tweaks they did. dunno if i want to jump into NG+ or just start a new build

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Outcast (1999), I've always loved this game. I played the 1.1 version which is basically just the original with a few minor QoL additions. It's very dated, but I have huge nostalgic affection for how this game looks and sounds. Incredible symphonic music combined with really cheesy voice acting lol. The voxel rendering was pretty incredible at the time too, and the ambient civilian AI does some impressive stuff now and then. I was originally going to pick this as one of my Impmas freestyle games, but I realized I wanted to really take my time with it and I'm glad I did, it's a slow-burn game and a chill pace is best.

There was a "Second Contact" remake released a few years ago that I immediately bounced off of, it's probably easier to play mechanically but all the weird visual charm of the original is gone.

It doesn't take itself too seriously, either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntT3k4tKlzc

and I kind of wish more games had dance parties at the end

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

Outcast (1999), I've always loved this game. I played the 1.1 version which is basically just the original with a few minor QoL additions. It's very dated, but I have huge nostalgic affection for how this game looks and sounds. Incredible symphonic music combined with really cheesy voice acting lol. The voxel rendering was pretty incredible at the time too, and the ambient civilian AI does some impressive stuff now and then. I was originally going to pick this as one of my Impmas freestyle games, but I realized I wanted to really take my time with it and I'm glad I did, it's a slow-burn game and a chill pace is best.

There was a "Second Contact" remake released a few years ago that I immediately bounced off of, it's probably easier to play mechanically but all the weird visual charm of the original is gone.

It doesn't take itself too seriously, either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntT3k4tKlzc

and I kind of wish more games had dance parties at the end
I bounced off the original weird controls a few times years ago, but picked up Second Contact on the GOG Christmas sale for £1. Definitely doesn't have the same visual style but looks like it plays a lot better, I'll see how it goes soon I think

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sub-Actuality posted:

Outcast (1999), I've always loved this game.

i sort of remember playing that a million years ago but never finished it. it was kind of cool how it managed to be more "french videogame" than even the twinsen games tho. thank you framce.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

3. Pentiment

This is somewhere between a point and click adventure game and a visual novel, illustrated in a medieval style, about a town in Bavaria and a series of events over several years. The gameplay is very light, it's basically just walking around and talking to everyone you can and clicking on all the highlighted objects, but fortunately the story carries it really well. That does mean I can't say too much positive about it without spoiling it, but there were points where I felt I couldn't put it down because I had to find out what happens next. It also seemed like choices you make matter; without replaying I'm not sure how much, but I think if I had done things differently I would have seen some different scenes. Good to check out if you like mystery games, especially if you are interested in that historical period. It's on GamePass.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Not perfect, but man, what an incredible game. Now to decide if I want to go straight for hard mode or give DDS a try.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Amid Evil to start the year. Super cool fps with magic items instead of guns, think a much better hexen. Highly recommend

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Amid Evil to start the year. Super cool fps with magic items instead of guns, think a much better hexen. Highly recommend

amid evil ftw. ill replay it when the dlc comes out

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

A Mid Peehole.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

3) Axiom Verge 2

Haven't played the first one, but this is refreshing in that it gives you some interesting movement mechanics early on and has lots of neat ways to find upgrades. No secret exits on the map, which I'm of split minds about, and the games pretty short.

They made all the minibosses optional, so you can technically do a pacifist run. It was pretty short, but its nice to play games without padding every once in a while. Fun game from the monthly PS+ offerings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Wonderful 101: Remastered - 101% hard mode, 109 wonderful ones. Love the game but gently caress the gimmick stages at higher difficulties, not interested in shmups where half the screen is obscured with dialogue boxes and two hits kill you and your end of chapter rank. Still, even after several playthroughs the ending gets me hyped like nothing else. Kamiya is a legend