Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Urgent care clinic strongly suggested I should have been hospitalized based on how weak I am + how out of whack my sugar has been, but no, shitposting on the internet is more important.

And cheaper!

Glad you're feeling better now STR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

That's a good kitten. It looks part Siamese though, so I hope you're ready for the screaming.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does the GTO have 4WS or the active aero? I saw a few of those in October at Radwood and they looked great.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

The higher end Toshibas aren't bad at all, from what I've been able to dig up they're a step below Panasonic's Tau series (which is what my dumpster 32" is, though that one is a 4:3). The Triniton patents had expired by the time Toshiba was making those; pretty much everybody was making their own version of a Triniton at that point.

I'm kinda torn between keeping the Panasonic or the Proscan. The Panasonic is a heavy beast, but has component and s-video inputs - the Proscan is too old for that. But the Proscan is a proper rounded tube, which supposedly has better geometry for the oldest consoles.

Of course I came down to the garage to gently caress around on the Dreamcast, and the fucker won't read most of my games now (weirdly it'll reliably run my :filez: copy of Street Fighter III, that's about it though... none of the proper original games are booting in it except MDK2). I have two DC consoles, I was planning on converting whichever one had the drive die first to SD-EMU (and the associated power supply upgrade). Guess this one yelled PICK ME PICK ME! I expected the other to die first, it has far more use on it. There's a plethora of video output mods for these too, so I'll probably either do a solder-in HDMI mod, or something that'll give me component out.

Unfortunately, there's no component cable for the Dreamcast. S-Video cable is ~$10 from Amazon. GDEmu clones have gone up in price unfortunately but they're plug and play. I'm not an expert on Dreamcast but the easiest way to get a good picture out of it seems to be VGA.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Welp. Dr put me on Trulicity. Mother of loving god is that poo poo expensive without insurance - with GoodRX, it's about $800 a month. My insurance brought it down to $30 (:stare:), but I'm nervous about next month - I'm going to be on a staffing agency's insurance for a month or two. Kinda nervous about doing the first dose too, but I just woke up, and my fasting sugar was 221. Yesterday by some miracle it was 130, but it was 295 by the end of the day.

Dr told me next time my sugar gets as out of control as it did in December, do not pass go, go directly to the ER. But I wasn't in good enough shape to drive, probably would have puked in an Uber, and the local ambulance service (county) is out of network with my insurance.

A bit nervous about stabbing myself with Trulicity, but I'm gonna give it a shot (:haw:) in a minute. And hope I don't have any "adverse reactions".

fake edit: done. ow, that stings a little, itchy too. Probably should have let it warm up a bit more.

I see Ford used their multilayered approach to brake light switches on the Mustang too! Why use a simple plunger-style switch when you need to make 6 or 7 layers of copper all touch? And when they wear out you only get brake lights when you're really on the brakes.

I hope Trulicity works out for you. I've had a lot of friends on it and they all experienced tons of side effects. The first month is the worst, lack of appetite/vomiting if you eat too much. You also may need to stay near a bathroom for awhile too.

Edit: Watch the injection site over the next few days. If it continues to itch, call your doctor, you might be allergic.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Fully funded here, which means free for on-label use, however apparently there's a global shortage at the moment?

Ozempic is another popular diabetes med that people started using for weight loss. This became short in supply so people had to switch to other diabetes meds like Trulicity, which led to more shortages.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

I hope that Lexus is better to you than the last few cars. And yeah...I recommend keeping some bread on hand for the next month. Toast is probably going to be your best friend.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

My Dr doesn't want me eating bread 😔

Fair. I don't know what's around you but Walmart and Aldi near me have started selling keto bread. Unfortunately, it's a bit pricey though. It's not the same but it scratches the itch.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Elviscat posted:

I've found that a good dose of CBD really helps with the unpleasant side effects of the other chemical. YMMV of course.

Hemp flower, cannabis high in CBD and low THC, is starting to become popular for those who are THC sensitive.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

My 15-year-old son is taking driver's ed, and I'm looking to buy him his first car. I have six cars but five of them are manual and he doesn't want to learn on a manual. The sixth is the Jeep I got for $50 and he'll be learning on that but it wouldn't make for a good first car.

Anyway, a buddy at work has a grandma that's looking to sell their 2007 Ford Fusion for $4500. It isn't a stellar deal, but it does have new tires and a new exhaust, and has been well-maintained by a local dealer. It has 141k miles on it. Any reason not to consider it?

The under $5k market is rough right now. If the car is mechanically sound and has some maintenance records, it's probably fine. I think that generation shared some parts with the Mazda 6.

It's your son's first car, he's probably going to be a little rough on it too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Anyone else on Trulicity? If so, do the side effects lessen?

I'm on week 2, and I feel like absolute poo poo - mostly because I have no appetite and I've been stupid nauseated since shot #2. Food makes me want to puke, I'm mostly getting by on Ensure and Zofran right now.

I’ve known quite a few friends on it. Everyone I know had similar symptoms for about a month.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Can't be legal and the cops will almost certainly take it away from you if you get pulled over, but nice effort

Excuse my ignorance, what's not legal about this?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Kivi posted:

- our new kitten is, uh, kitten. It plays a lot and is quite chore for our elderly dogs and sometimes to us (it comes and bites our noses if it's his feeding time which is like, every 8 hours)
- I waste time on posting on the Internet when I have tons of stuff to do

- The solution to kitten problems is usually another kitten.
- It's not time wasted if you're enjoying yourself
- Post more kitten/pet photos please.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

This sucks, I'm sorry. It sounds like he had a hell of a life. Don't stop telling his stories though. It keeps him alive.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

I think the answer in the US is everyone flees the cities and we bring back small town America. I know several small towns in central Texas that are full of new professionals who can afford the nice houses, have all their amenities within 20 minutes and the only real thing they're missing is easy access to an airport.

In my experience, many of those small towns are also sun down towns.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

So you'd better take care when creeping around someone's back stairs?
Seems like a neat song, hadn't heard of that before. This is what I mean:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town

Basically, not necessarily safe at night if you're not white.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
You have to check and see what your local city recycles. When I moved, I found out the new city doesn't recycle glass.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

Installed and painted trim in the house this weekend, finishing off the remodel.

Penny the pug immediately rushed to the pantry where her kibbles are kept, noticed the door was off the hinges and, in order to save time, cut the corner and got white paint all over her black side.

She'd already been fed her dinner a half hour before, of course.

Pugs are the best

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Aeropress for me

The biggest downside for aeropress for me is that it only makes one cup.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wrar posted:

It's not as bad as it was. CPUs and RAM and storage are ok price wise but motherboards and GPUs are still dumb.

If you're lucky enough to live near a Micro center, they've had tons of affordable cpu/mobo bundles lately.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cage posted:

There's a city in Michigan called Bad Axe.

Thats p cool.

I met someone from Hell, Michigan once.

CornHolio posted:

Just bought my kid their first car. 2006 Ford Fusion, 141k miles, dealer serviced. $5k. Bought it from a friend's grandma. Brand new nice tires, new exhaust. It's an SEL so it's fully loaded and has the 3L V6. I'm kinda jealous... my first car was a 1994 Sentra. I would have killed for heated seats.

This does bring the total number of my cars to seven. He didn't want to learn on a manual (understandable) and all of my other cars are manuals so I didn't have much choice but to get him something to learn on.

Today also marks the one-year-anniversary of when he went to the ER from his therapist because he told them he was having suicidal thoughts. It was the beginning of a long nightmare that had him at a mental health facility for a week and ended with him coming out as trans.

Things have gotten kind of complicated since then. We had a bunch of meetings with the local gender health division of the hospital, and he went on testosterone for several months... but starting last month he kept skipping his weekly injection, and shaved his arms, legs and armpits and actually wore a skirt. I asked him if he was changing his mind and what his pronouns were and he just said he didn't really care. So now I'm in an awkward position of whether I stick with he/him or revert back to she/her (he says he's OK with either) but I want to know whether he's seeing pressure to be 'normal' and want him to do what he really wants, not what others want. Parenting is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

They/Them is an option too. They may not have a preference right now because they're still trying to figure it out themselves. Parenting is hard and at least in this regard, I think you're doing well. I know quite a few gay/trans people who wish they had as much support from their parents as you're giving to your kid.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

big dong wanter posted:

halp, i ended up saving a cat from the forever nap but i am struggling to get her to get along with my existing cat. JUST BE BROS SMDH. i saved you both from the forever nap so if you could just get along that would be the only thing ive ever asked of you. ps if anyone in the melbourne aus region wants an elderly kitty lmk, i cant reasonably keep her forever even tho shes very good.

Feliway dispensers have helped my cats get along. A slow re-introduction might help too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Their name is visible at the bottom of the screenshot.

Humphreys posted:

I had one 'Hey mate, don't come over tonight for beers and footy. Family poo poo' I thought it was odd but went on about my day. That evening I could hear the gunshot from my house.

That sucks I'm sorry.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Apparently the move with Youtube is use a good VPN to signup your Premium account via Turkey or India, for less than $2/mo compared to $12/mo, but I've not tried it myself. You def need a valid address, but just pick one off Google Maps, use the address of like a major hotel or something. Dunno about any other checks.

I don't think this works anymore.

cursedshitbox posted:

people stream when 1tb ssds are 59.99?

The only modern DAPs I can find are like $500. Streaming makes listening to music out of the house easier without setting up something like Plex.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm told furries probably run your IT department. I have no idea how true that is though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Good luck STR. Hoping the next time we see you, you’re doing better.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Elise (who's a goon and smark lady) explained it in stark terms: http://www.endofshiftreport.com/search/label/diabetes

That is so terrifying. Diabetes is affordably treatable in most countries except :patriot:. The non-compliant ER patient's eating habits describes just about everyone I know who's a non-compliant diabetic.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

blk posted:

How the heck are people affording new cars right now? Interest is absolutely bonkers. I'm uncomfortable looking at a 15k loan on something used and I'm not poor, I can't imagine financing the whole enchilada on a new car.

If you're buying a new car in 2023, you're either already wealthy or going into debt. The average new car payment is like $700.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Are cars with these miles viable? I'm in a land of cheap Hondas (30 minutes from their Marysville plant, so they're plentiful). But the overwhelming majority are 150k+ miles up to about that 300k mark. I know a timing belt is an immediate operation, but other than that, are they still running like Hondas at that mileage?

FWIW I'd still be driving a 2006 Honda Pilot if the frame didn't give out. Had ~150k miles at the end.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son is 15 and getting ready to get his permit, and I'm struggling deciding between getting him a sub 5k car, or just splurging and giving him my xB and buying myself an ND Miata :v:

Been looking at 370z roadsters too, they are are cheaper than used NDs!

Is there anything viable in the under $5k market?

This is AI. 370Z or Miata, duh

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Ahh lucky. I tried marijuana to help with chronic ankle pain a few times and it never touched it.

FWIW I've had better luck with CBD or a CBD/THC mix to manage pain than just THC.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm in Florida. They sell "CBD" in gas stations, of course they can do that because it was made from Hemp and not Cannabis otherwise it's restricted to a dispensary.

The dispensaries vary as well too, I've got some CBD from different dispensaries that was completely ineffective which makes me wonder if they even used Cannabis to make it. Even the dispensary I depend on that makes the legit poo poo has had "bad batches" that were ineffective and returned for a new batch.

It's tough because the one dispensary I depend on can go out of stock at times and then they have no idea when they will get more. I try to stock up when they have it but still run out sometimes and until i can get more I feel like poo poo.

CBD Cannabis is legal under the 2018 Farm Bill. There's a lot of small farms that sell it online and ship it to your door. It's all legal too. You might have better luck with these small farms. My favorite is Holy City Farms.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Let them fight

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

Looks cool, and looks like those are hitting 25.

Yeah, this is probably your last chance before they become legal to import into the US and stupidly expensive.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Humphreys posted:

Drift Masters Euro Championship is live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lRtTYCDW4M

This is super cool, thanks for sharing.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

trouser chili posted:

:grin:

Traveling today, Waze seems to believe I’m gonna average 148mph.

Cannonball run?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So I've been playing a lot of Outrun lately. If there was going to be a new Outrun, what car would be a modern equivalent of a Testarossa?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm a big fan of backyard weddings. The local parks are cheap to rent out too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

randomidiot posted:

The metformin is still in there loving up my digestive system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think nausea/diarrhea/vomiting are just common side effects of diabetes meds. It's a small sample size but I have a few diabetic friends. When they get together, they inevitably talk about what meds they're on now and what side effects they're experiencing.