Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Skwirl posted:

The solution is to not punish with fines. Anything punished with a crime is just saying "it's legal if you're rich"

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21120476/jeff-bezos-washington-dc-renovate-apartment-home-parking-tickets

Some Nordic countries make fines like speeding tickets proportional to income or net worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

why isn't he in cuffs

https://www.justia.com/criminal/offenses/homicide/involuntary-manslaughter/

quote:

The first type of involuntary manslaughter occurs when a defendant recklessly or negligently commits an act that results in the death of another person. Recklessness usually means that the defendant was aware of the risk that they were creating, while negligence usually means that the defendant was not aware of the risk but reasonably should have been aware of it. The level of negligence required for involuntary manslaughter is higher than normal civil negligence and requires that the defendant have acted in a very unreasonable manner. The exact language used to describe this negligence standard varies by state, but many refer to it as “criminal negligence” or “gross negligence.”

Criminal negligence can also involve a failure to perform an act that the defendant has a duty to perform. Where a parent has a duty to take care of and protect a child, but the child dies when she is left in the car on a hot day, the parent may be culpable for involuntary manslaughter.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rollins' old school stuff like some Flag stuff, early Rollins Band albums, Get in the Van, and early spoken word was really awesome. Past that he mellowed a lot with age but perhaps got funnier.

Never could act for poo poo but whatever, he is legit.

I met him in Austin a long time ago and saw Rollins Band perform in Germany.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

It's infuriating that our government doesn't do a loving thing about it. Like how is it that all of our phone systems are absolutely infested with scam callers? How do they have active working phone numbers, which you can supply to the police, and that does not immediately lead to an arrest at the physical location of that number's origin? Oh because we just let the phone providers provide anonymizing services, people out of the country purchase and use in-country area code numbers, all that poo poo just totally free and open. How is it that you can buy nine thousand dollars in gift cards and read the numbers to someone in India and now all that money is gone and irretriveable?

you answer your own question in the next paragraph

quote:

But they all don't want to bother the kids, they want to fix things themselves, they want to feel smart and capable in their old age,

it's this. the old and near-senile don't want to admit their own weakness, so it never becomes a political issue

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

General Dog posted:

I don’t know, I consider myself pretty sharp and still don’t especially enjoy being bombarded by grift all hours of the day.

sure, me too, but I was referring to "the old and near-senile". and for people like you and me, despite thinking scammers are annoying and lovely, they probably don't even rank of the top 10 of things I'd talk to a congressperson about

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

being a mod during the current inter-forum dramabombs and SAD forum launch

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I mean just read the new, public, Something Awful Discussion forum. QCS replacement. You’ll get the idea pretty quickly.

I do hope SAD works out because this place needs a centralized feedback forum.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

I feel like this is what it would look like if a bald eagle could be human for a day.

'merica

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Has there been a better tv series to movie adaptation than The Fugitive (Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones)?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah M:I was good too. I like the tv series more there though, so I think less of the adaptation. in the TV series they’re always being clever and nonviolent. the movie is mostly a series of action shots

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bruce wayne

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

"This website I bought is a horrible way to communicate with people" is a hell of a cherry on top.

yes, goddamn, elon remains :owned:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't think Biden wants the image of bailing out Silicon Valley, and I really doubt Republicans are in the mood for passing a bailout either. They're probably hosed unless they carried like some sort of supplemental insurance.

they'll get paid out at least a portion of the amount over $250k as the bank's various assets are liquidated

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

This is probably more just Wells Fargo sucking rear end than anything new.

that’s literally WFC’s excuse in various twitter replies all day lol

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

Suddenly feeling a bit anxious that all of our money is in an online bank.

Pain of Mind posted:

It is Wealthfront, we chose it because it had a pretty high interest rate (currently @ 4.05% right now :eyepop:).They say they are FDIC insured up to 2 million by putting chunks of 250k in different banks. For the record I do not have 2 million dollars, if anyone was wondering.

I'm sure you're fine, but be aware wealthfront is not a bank. in fact they don't even take liability for their bank partners. "Customers are responsible for monitoring their total assets at each of the program banks to determine the extent of available FDIC insurance coverage in accordance with FDIC rules." -- https://www.wealthfront.com/cash

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

guys I think leper's thank-you was because this was the chill place not filled with current drama :(

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Turns out that he might be trying to cover up a lawsuit:

that’s EXACTLY what he’s trying to do, poison search results. he’s done it before with other bad headlines. and with someone as famous as him it works.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

they just had tolls to pay, okay

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z9yjcBRyNUo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

T-Square posted:

The second one was gonna make a rare IG appearance until I noticed the big jug of Metamucil in the back :v:

lol that just makes it more legit and better

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

goddamn elon. can’t sort twitter lists by top anymore, anywhere. so annoying.

also andor was overrated. but rogue one was very good. I contain multitudes

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

Rogue 1 is becoming overrated as people course correct from saying all disney star wars is bad.

they gettin' on my years-old bandwagon

pmchem posted:

Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/SteveMatthews12/status/1650582338357657600

heard TFF likes gamblin'

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

release them

guessing it contains this, assuming this is even real because :barf:

https://twitter.com/AngelSSMO/status/1650724558414962689?s=20

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

9th dimensional chess, you see, just like Trump he’s gotta have federal courts ruling against him to be seen as a True Republican Candidate

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

kiimo posted:

I downloaded cyberpunk today. Got it as a gift new and unwrapped it today. I figured that at this point maybe they’ll have fixed the issues. I hope

patch 1.7 will be coming within the next 2-3 months, should have a bunch of changes to game mechanics and perhaps further improved graphics. it will probably also lay the groundwork for changes coming in the Phantom Liberty expansion

if you have limited gaming time and/or a killer PC, may wanna wait for that. I'm super looking forward to it. game is good

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I mean, all he had to do was say "i will never log off" but instead his brain shits itself to mess up a princess bride reference

he is so bad at posting

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I mean he's also basically saying in that interview the same thing he's been saying and doing all along, which is that he's happy to gently caress over his shareholders by tweeting whatever the gently caress he wants, he does not care about his responsibility to them nor for SEC rules, and anyone who invests in his companies is a goddamn fool.

The contempt he's showing is not just for the viewer or the interviewer, it's for the very people who made him fabulously wealthy.

I mean, come on, if you own TSLA now outside of some passive index fund, it's almost like being a Trump voter. you knew what you were buying into with him.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Futureman is probably one of my favorite comedy series of all times, and somehow I always forget to list or recommend it. Wolf and Tiger being so matter of fact about incredibly absurd things never gets old.

:getin:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

apple’s bullshit headset starts at $3499

:catdrugs:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

alas neither side has Metal Gear

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

Love to have a Supreme Court that works backwards from their preferred outcome.

I mean, for socially contentious decisions, it’s been this way for like 40+ years? Why are people at all surprised or acting like this is some new trend? Did you really have respect for the Court as a staid and impartial institution 10-15 years ago?

I haven’t held the Court with any respect for like 30+ years lol

The Court of Brown vs. Board is long long gone

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

Because the Major Questions doctrine poo poo is pretty new and has ripped the veil off even the thinnest legal rigor?

I dunno, part of it is that I am older and much more aware of the awful poo poo they are doing (and I’m aware that recency bias is a thing) but it really loving sucks to live through the backlash of one of the few periods of measurable legal progress in this country.

But yeah, things have always been awful. Still not a fan.

Dunno man. Breyer (GOP nom but dem hero) coined the major questions phrase in 1986 according to good ole Wikipedia. Lines up with my 30-40 year timeline despite it being more of a focus lately. The Court has always found a way to do what it wants, it’s just the bullshit branding that changes over time.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

did you guys do this one already

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1681424737384435713?s=20

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know if we're still doing bluesky codes in here but I've got another if anyone wants it.

ill try that garbage

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

We have a new push to return to office and have cameras on for all meetings. I go into the office every day anyway so that does not really impact me, but sometimes I have a ton of work to do and 5 hours of irrelevant meetings where I would like to turn my camera off and listen in while doing my work so they cannot see me obviously focused on something else, or eating and they do not need a closeup of me shoving sandwich in my mouth.

just lean into it. use the camera to floss after eating

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

second source
https://abc7news.com/senator-dianne-feinstein-dead-obituary-san-francisco-mayor-cable-car/13635510/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I finished the base game and both expansions AMA

same

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

edit: nm not engaging

pmchem fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 13, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

chemistry chat: you guys would love sundae's pharma stories in BFC corporate thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

not seeing it reported anywhere (including sky news live or twitter), just a bunch of twitter bots asking about it

seems to be rumorville at the moment