Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress the Cowboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

No Butt Stuff posted:

Woke up this morning and had to go to the emergency vet. It’s over.

Oh gently caress, so sorry :(

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

BrownThunder posted:

Was the NASCAR thread after a noose was found in a drivers garage. Knee slapper

IIRC, the title was changed a few months before that, when Kyle Larson dropped the n bomb live on TV during some video game race they were doing during the early COVID lockdowns in spring 2020. It was a dumb joke then and lasted too long, and the only got worse when the Bubba Wallace noose thing happened later that summer (Along with everything else in 2020).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Android Apocalypse posted:

:drat: Maybe throw in some salad/greens in there too, friend.

To be faiiiiiiir, I was all set to order chicken wings for Thursday Night Football… until I looked at the schedule.

And then you ordered wings anyway

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

But where will I post a pic of it?

If a chicken wing is ordered and not posted in a GDT, was it actually consumed?

:thunk:

Bird in a Blender posted:

The toilet will know.

:hmmyes:

CannonFodder posted:

Post it in here and then edit with "Whoops, wrong thread"

:hmmyes:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

CannonFodder posted:

I'm applying for a new trucking job, and the one place that is real local has, on their website, a place to upload my resume and fill out a cover letter. Ok, I signed up for Indeed, I'll just use that one, but a cover letter for trucking? What the gently caress would that be?

"Hi, I am applying to work for you because I like driving and making money. Hire me please."

“I won’t blab about the auto-drive system.”

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Lemon Pepper Sprinkle & Spicy Sweet Chili wings from Sandy Hot Wings Cafe while catching the latest Willow.

Wait, this isn't the NFL Game Day Thread.

Here, I’ll make this feel more like a GDT:

gently caress the Cowboys

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like were entering week 3 of this week?

Also going back to work after a 3-day weekend made this week extra hellish early on.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I don’t drink. I’ve never liked the taste of any alcohol and it never seemed to affect me the times I did :shrug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

Im kinda really, really, deeply unhappy in my soul with my work situation right now but all I can think is that a different job doing similar work wouldn't at all make me any happier. It would just be a different setting to suffer in.

Then I get annoyed at myself for being sad about work.

I dont know how to fix this.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Brother, I have had six different jobs at five different companies in 13 years. Every week I still stare at the walls of my beige prison and wonder if there's something I'd actually enjoy doing, although the longer I'm at it the more the voice in the back of my mind says you've seen enough to know it's all the same. After getting way too into the last couple and burning out, at this point I am trying so god drat hard to focus on everything else in my life that isn't work, because on the whole it's all pretty great. But it is SO difficult to pretend the place that dictates my schedule for 71% of the days in a week just doesn't exist.

If either of you ever find a way to make this better, tell me.

I've never had a job that wasn't crushing my soul within 6-8 months.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Happy birthday, SB :toot:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Today is busy it seems, as it's also my grandmother's 96th birthday and my cousin's daughter's 4th.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Freaquency posted:

People are apparently calling for Biden to kick him out of the US (:rolleyes:) but honestly I think being stuck in loving Orlando is probably punishment enough

Nah, Orlando’s not too bad. Send him to The Villages or some place truly horrible.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Braksgirl posted:

So for his birthday SB asked our daughter to draw him Superman fighting a sharknado that had a minimum of 4 sharks. This is the outcome. Do you ever look at your kid and wonder how something so infinitely cool came from you? I do. All the time.

That’s loving amazing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

But yeah, Sears should’ve been Amazon. Stores, catalogs, delivery, distribution centers already in place, they really messed up.

IIRC, as Sears has been a recurring subject for years in the Companies Circling the Drain thread in PYF, it was partially a case of bad timing as they shut down their catalog division in the early 90s as it’s sales had rapidly declined and it required tens of thousands of people to operate. This was a few years before the internet became a thing and severs more before online shopping was the ubiquitous monster it is now. At the time, having physical locations in basically every major shopping mall, and I think often owning them outright rather than leasing them, was what was working and looked to be the way things would continue. I also think a lot of their bigger failures and mismanagement and other stuff was still a ways off as well…

EFB with more detail on the stuff on the CEO

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pron on VHS posted:

First 3 movies, Thrawn trilogy books, maybe the Rogue series if you want to be expansive. That’s canon baby

The Rogue books (And comics) are solid enough, and mainly serve to lead to the Wraith books, which are great. Also Shadows of the Empire :v:

Freaquency posted:

Bad Batch is kinda fun. Never watched Clone Wars.

Clone Wars at its high points is excellent. You don't need to watch the whole series, I think the guide list that another goon recommended to me and I've passed along since cuts it down from 130~ episodes to about 70~ (Which would coincidentally about match Rebels' run of 75 episodes), and you could probably trim a few of that depending on tastes, but the high points of it are awesome, and it now lays the ground work for stuff that later comes up in Rebels, Bad Batch, Andor, Rogue One, and Mandalorian. Rebels is really good too, with some outstanding points (Vader's appearance, Thrawn, Twin Suns and the resolution of Obi-Wan and Maul), and while it doesn't quite as consistently hit the highs of Clone Wars, it doesn't have the same lows.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a sexual elk posted:

The new Alphabet Squadron books were pretty drat good, each member has a different class of fighter and huge emotional scars. It takes place right after the war and dealing with the former Imperials and warlord splinter groups. Fits in well with the feel of R1 and Andor

Yeah, I really liked the Alphabet Squadron trilogy and Alexander Freed has been one of the handful of writers in the NuEU I've consistently enjoyed.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

General Dog posted:

Andor is extremely light on Easter eggs and cameos; it doesn't really reference anything from the animated series (unlike Mandalorian which ties in with Clone Wars pretty extensively).

Andor has a good number little Easter eggs and stuff in it, probably more than a lot of people recognized, they just don't hit you over the head with them in a "nudge nudge, wink wink, recognize this?" manner that some of the other shows have. Just off hand of stuff I remember getting discussed in the Star Wars TV thread, Andor's gun was from the old Dark Forces game, a number of things in Luthen's shop were references (Including the stones from Temple of Doom on a shelf in the back), a whole bunch of planet names from the old EU are mentioned at one point or another (Cassian's cover has him from Fest, which was in a bunch of old games like Rogue Squadron), among a bunch of others.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
gently caress DeSantis

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

I did finally finish Andor and yeah, just an absolute excellent show that stands out on its own aside from Star Wars. Also, watching it after finishing The Bear was funny when you see Cousin Ritchie in a different role but almost essentially playing the same character.

I put on Clone Wars if I'm bored and it's been a nice background show. If someone has that list of condensed episodes I'd love it. Skip the filler episodes like Naruto :v:

This is the list I'd start with. It basically covers all of the high points of the first 5 seasons, includes most of season 6, and then just watch the entirety of season 7.

If you want to cut it down further, you don't really need to watch the entire movie, which is essentially three episodes smashed together, but the first 20~ minutes is okay if you want to see Anakin and Ahsoka actually meet. You could probably skip the three episode Mortis arc from season 3, which are a bit trippy and their impact is debated by fans, but I enjoyed them for what they were. The list also has a few stand alone episodes that are basically samplers of "Hey, if you like this, there's more scattered throughout about the droids/senate/whatever" which you can skip as well if you want.

The only major issued with that list is it was originally made in 2015, before the final season, Rebels and Rogue One and all the Disney+ shows, so it omits some episodes that might be worthwhile now. For example, the first episode with Bo-Katan in a prominent role beyond background character, who plays a big role in season 7, Rebels, Mandalorian season 2 and likely will in season 3, isn't included there as at the time, it mostly looked like a semi-filler Mandalore episode. The list only has one senate focused episode with Padme, so the handful of other episodes with Mon Mothma (Played by Genevieve O'Reilly as in Rogue One and Andor, and the deleted scenes from Revenge of the Sith) are also omitted. Granted, some of those aren't important to the main plots of Clone Wars of stuff like Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, the main Clones, Maul, but they do add a bit of flavor now and then. Also the list excludes every Jar-Jar episode :v:

As a final note, for those who aren't already aware, the first 2-3 seasons are not really in chronological order. There are 2-4 episode arcs throughout, but if you watch broadcast order, things can sometimes get a bit weird. The chronological order is on the Star Wars website if you want to go that way. The best example of this wackiness involves a squad of Clones the show regularly follows, one of whom ends up in the Bad Batch. The episode that is supposed to be their introduction while they are in training is S3E1 Clone Cadets, which in the timeline would actually be like the 3rd episode overall of the series, but the immediate next episode (S3E2) has them as experienced veterans joining an ARC unit and would be the 48th episode if they were set in chronological order. The episode with their first actual mission after training is S1E5 and they show up in a few other episodes during seasons 1 and 2 before really getting focused on more later in season 3. By seasons 4 and beyond, the show is mostly in order. Some people don't mind the early seasons jumping around as they do, but I know it was a factor for me in why I didn't really get into the show the first time I tried to watch it years and years ago.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 19, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I got really badly sick right before Christmas 2019, but assume it was just the usual flu/cold/whatever that goes through offices/call centers all the time and got like 12 people sick over a 2-3 week span just in our team’s little area. poo poo did linger with me for a while and I highly doubt it was COVID, but a few months later when everything really blew up and suddenly were working from home indefinitely, everyone from work was making semi-nervous jokes about it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

i'm always in withdrawal

withdrawal from no new king of the hill episode

I read this post moments after seeing this in the GDT:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

If you have any like of history and haven't read it, The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer about the Battle off Samar is amazing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

90 seconds to midnight baby!

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/24/1150982819/doomsday-clock-90-seconds-to-midnight

Gotta admit I'm less worried about Putin destroying the world than I am climate change, but if he wants to he could I guess.

I’m too lazy to reword the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntJtBttuPjk

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I'll chime in and say I enjoyed the first 3 seasons well enough, to the point I impulse grabbed the first 2 off Amazon on Black Friday or Prime Day sales or something like that where they were dirt cheap. But then there was that 2~ year gap before season 4, from late 2017 to late 2019. During that timeframe is when the toxicity and negative views of the fanbase who just obsessed themselves with the show and let it define their lives, where being a "Ricky and Morty fan" was everything, plus nonsense like the whole McDonald's szechuan sauce thing happened. All of that sorta soured my view on the show, and add on poo poo that happened in my own life in 2019, meant I wasn't as interested in following it by the time season 4 came out. Looking at the episodes, I remember some of season 4, but not in detail. By the time season 5 came out, my cable package had dropped Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, so I haven't seen an episode since.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Welp, there goes my weekend:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1618247681666875392?s=20&t=uBv73UP663qKegJBXdPmZg

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveWillis2/status/1618326536435929090

20 year old me is giddy but today me recognizes that some of that humor aged pretty drat poorly

Carl is timeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-YfuVQmX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqi1F_cAmno

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hey football friedns This is lame as gently caress but my union is going on strike next week and we have a GoFundMe to support our workers. It's the sort of thing where public support is more important than the actual dollar figure so if anyone can share it on social media or give a buck I would take it as a personal favor.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/portland-city-laborers-solidarity-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Mods, edit this out and slap my hand if this is out of line. Just feel like I have to do everything I can for my folks out there.

Donated.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

I spent $8 to shitpost on the internet for just over an hour on my connecting flight from Denver to St. Louis.

I am an idiot.

But did they have chicken wings?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
gently caress the police

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

C-Euro posted:

I wonder which IP will be the one that sends the revival/reboot/rehash trend in TV and film back to hell where it belongs, or if it will merely be a casualty of the larger streaming media collapse that people keep warning about.

Like I saw last week that there's an upcoming (maybe even available now?) reboot of the early 90s Power Rangers run, like who the gently caress was asking for that?

Revivials/reboots/rehashes have always been around and always will be. Like, since the early 90s were mentioned, there were a bunch of movies and shows then that were based on stuff from the 60s (The Untouchables and The Fugitive probably being the two best known examples).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Andor is the best Star Wars since the original movie and The Empire Strikes Back and was awesome.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I just did it on Google on my phone and the first things after Wikipedia and ProFootballReference is news about his welfare scam.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’d say that guy is a loving moron, but he clearly ain’t loving.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Nazis are bad and to misquote that one goon’s AV text, deserve to be hit in the face with 76mm HVAP.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

What do the military use as darts?

Historically, F-104s

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I badly want an exercise bike or a treadmill but my apartment is small so finding space for it would be mildly tricky. Bigger concern is the noise, since I’m on the second floor and the walls are just thin enough I know my neighbors would hear it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

I made an appointment to euthanize my cat tomorrow. She has cancer, has lost a good amount of weight, and I'm pretty sure arthritis has now set in. All this, plus the kidney disease we have been managing for the last year. She pretty much just lays around all day, can still climb stairs, but very slowly, and can't get on anything else. I've been racked with guilt for the last few weeks because I've been trying to decide when I need to make the call. She could probably hang on for another month, maybe two, but I'm also trying to not wait until things are really bad. I finally decided I need to just do it because I'm making myself crazy trying to figure out the right time to do it. Now I'll at least have closure.

:sympathy: so sorry

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

For what it's worth the shwinn ic4 I have hasn't received any complaints in my second floor apartment. It is unwieldy and heavy to move and doesn't really fit in a closet for storage.

I’ll have to keep that in mind. At some point we plan to redo the whole living room/dining area of the apartment, which is where such a thing would go (The dining area has mostly been storage space for years and needs cleaned up).

:woop:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

I got mine after I completed the youth program.

:dadjoke::hf::godwinning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Walking Corpse, probably :zombie:

I also like Vanilla Villains

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 10, 2023