Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BrianRx posted:

This seems like the kind of game with political screeds in the patch notes. Taking a "neutral" stance on a conflict of that nature with that name isn't neutral at all.

I'd still play it if half of the players died in the lobby from dysentery before the match started. And if you had to pass a gangrene check at the end of a match if you took damage or your score is wiped from the board.

Weirdly it's one of those historical games where the playerbase has gone down to the point where the people who are still playing it are people who are actually interested in civil war history and therefore if you go on the steam forums it's actually really hostile to the slavers lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I always appreciate video games where food restores health because I like imagining someone furiously eating 5 candy bars to avert death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR_-OvCSkxg&t=107s

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay it's time for the June game post, obv Street Fighter's the big one but there's still other neat stuff coming:

Amnesia: the Bunker (June 6) (demo available) - Frictional's return to the Amnesia series places you in the tunnels and trenches of WW1, promising a more open style of exploration.

Loop8 (June 6) - Though western reviews aren't great on this one, VN fans might have a more refined palette for it. It's a time loop VN/JRPG set in the 1980s.

Nocturnal (June 7) - An action platformer where you light your way through the darkness with a sword that can literally absorb and dish out fire. The Next Fest demo for this was solid.

Harmony: the Fall of Reverie (June 8) - A lovingly-animated visual novel by Don't Nod about a woman who inherits her mother's connection to the gods and can see into the future. Has a gimmick where the flowchart's future branches are shown to you, but you can only choose one path and it's permanent. So that won't be to everyone's taste.

Bleak Sword DX (June 8) (demo available) - A tough dodge-rolly hack and slash that was an excellent little gem on Apple Arcade. Includes all the DLC and Arena and Boss Rush modes.

Mask of the Rose (June 8) - Failbetter Games (Sunless Sea/Skies) is venturing into new but still ever prose-filled territory with an investigative VN where people who are killed don't stay that way.

Dordogne (June 13) (Gamepass I think??) - I'm not entirely sure what this game entails but just LOOK at it!!!

Fall of Porcupine (June 15) (free prologue available) - A sidescrolling narrative game about the healthcare industry that will likely (fair or unfair) draw comparisons to Night in the Woods.

ProtoCorgi (June 15) (demo still available for now) - No more misfires this time! It's finally coming out. A dog-powered shmup with very fun pixel art and a Mario Maker-style level creation kit.

Park Beyond (June 15) - Been a while since a newcomer to the theme park genre has shown up. Park Beyond's main gimmick from past trailers is that you upgrade the rides with modules to make them much crazier, but the store page is not emphasizing that AS MUCH as the early trailers did, so I'm not sure if they've scaled back. It'll also have easy terraforming to go along with complete ride design customization.

Trepang2 (June 21) (demo still available for now) - Long awaited by shooter fans, this is basically modern F.E.A.R. as I understand it.

Forever Skies (June 22) (Early Access) - sort of Raft in the post-apocalyptic sky, where you slowly build up a floating ship base by scavenging from all the nearby ruined towers you land at. Not sure if the game will have an end goal or not. But it's early access so it definitely won't at launch.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (June 29) - Shu Takumi's masterpiece from the Nintendo DS is now available on modern platforms (besides iOS), with a newly arranged (optional) soundtrack, and an art gallery.

Front Mission 1ST Remake (June 30) (demo available) - Yes it's a bit rough around the edges but this got the Stux seal of approval so I'm including it here. A remake of the first Front Mission that has finally left Switch exclusivity. Unfortunately the remake of FM2 has been delayed so that one's PC port won't be around for a while.

Crime O'Clock (June 30) - A cute Where's Wally/Waldo-y game involving time travel. You discover a crime, so you go back in time and trace the steps of various characters on the very large map.

Coming in July: Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals, Gylt (a former Stadia-exclusive by Tequila Works), Trails into Reverie, Atelier Marie Remake, Exoprimal, Full Void, Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart, Double Dragon Gaiden

More dates may get revealed over the next 10 days as Summer Games Fest events take place. I'll post recaps for those events as always!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Didnt know Front Mission Remake was coming to PC. Will buy that and double dip in order to support the Front Mission franchise because its special to me. Front Mission 2 Remake has no release date right now. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

BrianRx posted:

This seems like the kind of game with political screeds in the patch notes. Taking a "neutral" stance on a conflict of that nature with that name isn't neutral at all.

I'd still play it if half of the players died in the lobby from dysentery before the match started. And if you had to pass a gangrene check at the end of a match if you took damage or your score is wiped from the board.

The main devs are Swedish and didn’t necessarily get the names connotations when they chose it. Of course many, many people have pointed out the Large Problem with it since and they didn’t change it, so bit of a wash.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lol only in a Katamari game do you roll people up in order to feed them to a Sumo wrestler, and its passed off as a totally normal thing and not at all horrifying when done by a goofy god.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Great roll up as usual 7th. Lot of things there catching my eye.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Forever Skies and motherfucking Ghost Trick, aw yeah

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The 7th Guest posted:

Trepang2 (June 21) (demo still available for now) - Long awaited by shooter fans, this is basically modern F.E.A.R. as I understand it.

I can't believe this is coming out this month, this has to be the oldest thing on my wishlist. I loved the demos, hopefully they can tie it all together in a solid final product.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
It's not necessarily bad, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out what exactly makes HROT overwhelmingly positive for its reception as my playthrough so far has been ok, but pretty generic. Playing HROT makes me feel bad for being somewhat critical on Prodeus or Dread Templar recently because in retrospect those games actually managed to engage and excite me in the end much more compared to this. Again, it's not bad, per se, but it's like the equivalent of eating a piece of toast, or maybe a plain hamburger: perfectly acceptable, but bland. I am still early in my playthrough: maybe it's one of those games that gets better the deeper you go because the dev gets better at making levels, similar to Dread Templar? Or maybe the whole slavjank appeal just doesn't work on me since I've already been inundated with it from people like Civvie11? Playing HROT just makes me feel like I should just replay Quake, move onto more exciting pastures like Amid Evil, or go searching for a more deserving and underappreciated indie devs boomer shooter to give attention instead of this which steals the limelight for some reason or other. I'll stick with it for a bit more and see: I did get it for free in a bundle so I've got no skin in the game anyway.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 3, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Lol only in a Katamari game do you roll people up in order to feed them to a Sumo wrestler, and its passed off as a totally normal thing and not at all horrifying when done by a goofy god.

Well, let's see your solution to overpopulation then. :colbert:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hello. Here is the entirety of the $3.00 The Lord of the Rings: Gollum™ - Emotes Pack, the pack that includes 6 iconic emotes inspired by the character Gollum, which you can use to proclaim "my Precious" and express a range of emotions in the game whenever you want:
  1. Gollum clasps his hands, whispers "my precioussss".
  2. Beetle flies around Gollum, he is surprised.
  3. Beetle lands in front of Gollum, he looks at it with concern and interest before it flies away.
  4. Beetle lands in front of Gollum, he looks at it with interest before it flies away.
  5. Beetle flies around Gollum, he looks at it angrily.
  6. Beetle flies around Gollum, he swipes at it and fails to kill it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

When management puts out a ”We decided to include exclusive emotes as DLC!" internal memo the week before launch and the animators had no prior warning.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

Hello. Here is the entirety of the $3.00 The Lord of the Rings: Gollum™ - Emotes Pack, the pack that includes 6 iconic emotes inspired by the character Gollum, which you can use to proclaim "my Precious" and express a range of emotions in the game whenever you want:
  3. Beetle lands in front of Gollum, he looks at it with concern and interest before it flies away.
  4. Beetle lands in front of Gollum, he looks at it with interest before it flies away.

There being no "Beetle flies around and Gollum eats it/tries to eat it" emote is a loving disgrace. :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gollum never interacted with beetles, this completely shits on everything Tolkien stood for

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Pigbuster posted:

cool

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm still waiting for my civil war game where I get to slaughter hordes of confederates (I will be waiting forever).

Though I would not want it to be historically accurate. A musket fps would be hard to pull off unless you're the groggiest of grogs.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sounds like you need to play Darkest Of Days which I have not played but from what I understand prominently features a future space soldier going back in time to mow down confederates.
Yeah Darkest of Days has exactly what you're looking for, even though it's only part of the game it remains the only FPS where you can mow down confederates with a fully automatic assault rifle (gently caress the timeline)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLehSjHPB-g

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 3, 2023

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lt. Lizard posted:

There being no "Beetle flies around and Gollum eats it/tries to eat it" emote is a loving disgrace. :colbert:

Gotta save something for emote pack 2.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Assepoester posted:

Yeah Darkest of Days has exactly what you're looking for, even though it's only part of the game it remains the only FPS where you can mow down confederates with a fully automatic assault rifle (gently caress the timeline)

What a throw back reference. Rip ycs

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Assepoester posted:

It's really too bad that it ultimately sucked rear end to play, really ambitious title that should be re-attempted today I think.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Upsidads posted:

If you ever have cover of any sort it's a cover shooter

Holocure is a cover shooter

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So today I learned that I don't hate fighting games, I just hate directional inputs and other people. Both Dragonball Fighterz and now SF6 with modern controls have been great fun, because a) fighting the AI is fun, and b) I have access to a lot of mechanical depth without wrecking my thumbs and controllers doing stick gymnastics before every input.

Are there other titles I should keep in mind? I've been playing Mario Tennis of all things, because a buddy pointed out that it has a lot of the positioning and counterplays of fighting games, but it feels like "Gimme a fighting game except without directions and other people" is a long way of saying "Don't give me a fighting game."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

So today I learned that I don't hate fighting games, I just hate directional inputs and other people. Both Dragonball Fighterz and now SF6 with modern controls have been great fun, because a) fighting the AI is fun, and b) I have access to a lot of mechanical depth without wrecking my thumbs and controllers doing stick gymnastics before every input.

Are there other titles I should keep in mind? I've been playing Mario Tennis of all things, because a buddy pointed out that it has a lot of the positioning and counterplays of fighting games, but it feels like "Gimme a fighting game except without directions and other people" is a long way of saying "Don't give me a fighting game."

It's a pretty niche pick, but Hellish Quart might the kind of thing you'd enjoy. It's a sword fighting game, but the gimmick is that regular attacks are parried automatically. So it's more about gauging distance, creating openings, and finding the right moments. It's primarily singleplayer (though also still Early Access), and the inputs are mostly very straightforward, usually just holding a direction while pressing an attack button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4vLC6NLsH0

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I really liked Slice, Dice & Rice, a fighting game where everyone dies in one hit. The key is figuring out when it's safe to attack.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm taking a close look at both of these, thank you so much for the recommendations! :)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm still waiting for my civil war game where I get to slaughter hordes of confederates (I will be waiting forever).

Though I would not want it to be historically accurate. A musket fps would be hard to pull off unless you're the groggiest of grogs.

Musket FPS is shockingly fun, Holdfast is the less racist one at the moment

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
And what if you were looking for the most racist one you know, haha, as a joke

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

Isn't this a single-player game?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zereth posted:

What's your point? Everyone loves emotes!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Gollum never interacted with beetles, this completely shits on everything Tolkien stood for

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Zereth posted:

in the sense that a single person has bought the game?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Omi no Kami posted:

have u heard of super smash bros

there's a whole genre of smash clone "platform fighters" on pc now complete with all the 1-button special moves. rivals of aether, brawlhalla, slap city, the nickelodeon one, multiversus (wait didn't they unrelease this one?)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

have u heard of super smash bros

there's a whole genre of smash clone "platform fighters" on pc now complete with all the 1-button special moves. rivals of aether, brawlhalla, slap city, the nickelodeon one, multiversus (wait didn't they unrelease this one?)

So it's really funny, smash is probably an unironically excellent recommendation, and I should've thought of that one myself... but the image that comes to mind when someone says 'smash' to me is always of smelly weirdos screaming about their controller not being broken in the right way, and it's so easy to forget that the way the community plays smash is not how anybody, including the developers, want people to play smash.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the devs even added a 1v1 no-items online mode in smash ultimate so i guess they eventually resigned themselves to accepting it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Omi no Kami posted:

So today I learned that I don't hate fighting games, I just hate directional inputs and other people.

Might not be useful in the Steam/PC games thread, but that's exactly what Smash Bros did; every character has a solid selection of moves, yet the most complicated input is "direction + button".

e;f,b

but yea, as a kid in the heyday of SF2 arcade machines and onwards to stuff like Killer Instinct et al, gently caress those overcomplicated control schemes. They're a really artificial learning curve that just exists to dunk on newbies and gate them out of the fun part of the game, the actual to-and-fro fencing.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Assepoester posted:

I worked on this game.
I would love to take another stab at making something like it again.
I would absolutely include more confederate-mowing levels.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

but yea, as a kid in the heyday of SF2 arcade machines and onwards to stuff like Killer Instinct et al, gently caress those overcomplicated control schemes. They're a really artificial learning curve that just exists to dunk on newbies and gate them out of the fun part of the game, the actual to-and-fro fencing.

Wrong.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Serephina posted:

fighting games are difficult to learn but this is a stupid thing to say. that to-and-fro fencing becomes so much more fun when you and your opponent have a wealth of options available to you and when your ability to win the match is dependent on you anticipating and executing these options under pressure. just because you feel attacked by the game being difficult doesn't mean it's there to specifically gatekeep you. lol.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2094910/Pile_Up/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFzip-TJZ8

Cute looking mini city builder with cloud gardens vibes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2094910/Pile_Up/

Cute looking mini city builder with cloud gardens vibes?

That looks like it was inspired by Islanders, down to the art style and UI.